Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008
Only issue with that is it only uses the gems for the long cast animation, the short cast uses a less damaging formula that lacks the scaling.

You can force the long animation using Boost though, but you can't get that until later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Fister Roboto posted:

I've been replaying through FF9 recently, and I've just discovered that summons are actually insanely good in this game, something that I failed to notice when I first played the game. You see, the damage formula is the familiar (Attack-Defense)*Multipliers. The thing is that for most spells, the Attack value is fixed (unlike FF5, bonuses for things like elemental weaknesses or boosting equipment is applied to the Multiplier, not to Attack). Fire will always have 14 Attack, so it eventually becomes obsolete with higher enemy defense (most enemies in the game have at least 10 magic defense) no matter how high you stack your Multiplier.

Summons on the hand, can have their Attack increased. Each summon has a respective gem that increases its attack for each one you have in your inventory. Ramuh, the first summon you can actually use, starts out with a respectful 32 Attack, which is slightly higher than Vivi's -ra spells. But for every peridot you have in your inventory, the Attack increases by one. You could potentially grind up 99 peridots (the griffon enemies you encounter shortly after getting Ramuh have peridots as a guaranteed drop) and have a spell with 131 Attack on the second disc, for the low low price of 22 MP. That's actually higher than any non-summon spell in the game. Also unlike black magic, it doesn't get a multi-target penalty.

Yeah, while waiting around for stupid frogs to respawn to get Quina's best weapon, I put a rubber band on my controller to have Eiko draw 99 Ores a couple times (which can be synthed into the other gems). Dagger with a bunch of maxed-out summons and elemental-boosting gear is a monster.

Edit:

rargphlam posted:

Only issue with that is it only uses the gems for the long cast animation, the short cast uses a less damaging formula that lacks the scaling.

You can force the long animation using Boost though, but you can't get that until later.

Pretty sure that's just wrong. The shorter animations do less damage, but still use the boosted attack stat. She'll do about 6000+ damage with a short animation, or 8000+ with the long animations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

No, the short cast animation still includes the attack boost from the gems. It only reduces the multiplier by 1/3.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'd say the bigger problem with summon is just that it is so trivial to hit 9999 damage in FF9 that having a huge attack multiplier feels less impressive for the work you put in.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Veib posted:

Oh hey that's great news, Remember Me was one of my favorite games last year. Obviously it has some huge glaring issues, but all the good things more than made up for that for me. I understand why it's so divisive.

I think they'll be better off decreasing the scope of their game and its features and concentrating on a handful of concepts and tight writing. There was a lot of ambition and feature creep in Remember Me which lead to some half-baked sub-systems.

CottonWolf posted:

I can't get over how bad Emma's hair looks in those screenshots. It's just a blobby texture. Game sounds interesting though.

They probably don't have a large budget for each episode. They seem to be going for a stylized Tell Tale adventure game look.

Gologle posted:

That's great! I love long graphic lesbian sex scenes in the middle of my video games! First day buy!

Come to think of it, Square Enix owns the Fear Effect IP. You can even use it through their Collective program.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I'd say the bigger problem with summon is just that it is so trivial to hit 9999 damage in FF9 that having a huge attack multiplier feels less impressive for the work you put in.

Perhaps, but you really don't have to put in much effort at all to have Dagger able to wipe out random encounters in one shot.

e: also I love that the game just showers you with ethers. It really encourages you to actually use abilities that cost MP, rather than just mashing attack.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 11, 2014

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

ImpAtom posted:

No kidding. When I played I found Trance was pretty pointless when it meant Steiner hit 9999 with just Attack instead of a skill.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Robin Williams is dead, yo! Irvine managed to assassinate somebody after all!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Gologle posted:

Poor Headmaster Cid :(

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Does Happy Blue Cow still post in the thread? I been wondering if a new thread is needed since there are several games missing from the OP along with a few re-releases that are not covered as well.

Also this sounds odd, but am I only the one who enjoys Final Fantasy III DS? Maybe it because I am the type who still prefers to play Final Fantasy Origin over the later GBA version.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gologle posted:

Robin who?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Some coked out dude from the 70s and 80s. The next week will be dedicated to people pretending he's been relevent since then.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The irony of belittling an actor for being irrelevant in the thread about Final Fantasy

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Zing

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The irony of belittling an actor for being irrelevant in the thread about Final Fantasy

Gologle posted:

Irvine managed to assassinate somebody after all!

Help Im Alive posted:

Poor Headmaster Cid :(

:eng99:

e: for clarification, no disrespect for the man's achievements intended. He wasn't one of the big actors for me growing up so I'm not especially affected, but I also don't mean to write off anyone who he did matter to. Just a dumb Final Fantasy joke in the Final Fantasy thread, dogg.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Aug 12, 2014

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Anyone try out this hack yet for FFT:WotL? Seems like it's supposed to balance out more of the tedious and bullshit parts of the game, but one should always be wary of ROM hacks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

Some coked out dude from the 70s and 80s. The next week will be dedicated to people pretending he's been relevent since then.
Try pretending Tales of Rebirth has been relevant since 2008.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

3edgy5me

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Rirse posted:

Also this sounds odd, but am I only the one who enjoys Final Fantasy III DS? Maybe it because I am the type who still prefers to play Final Fantasy Origin over the later GBA version.

Nope, I do too! I really like it and don't understand all the hate it gets. Sure when you compare it to the original, it looks inferior, but it was still a really fun game to play on long bus trips.

I also really liked the opening cinematic, I think I watched it about a million times.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek8jEw4N6gI

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Rirse posted:

Maybe it because I am the type who still prefers to play Final Fantasy Origin over the later GBA version.

This is a Right Thing to do, don't worry about that one. Origin's the best version of FF1 because it doesn't have the stupid bugs from the NES version while also not being super-baby-easy-mode from Dawn of Souls onwards.

That said, you can get some enjoyment out of Dawn of Souls et al. by doing incredibly dumb poo poo. Mostly stuff that's viable on Origins too, but only if you like wasting far longer grinding out slow levels tediously.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Nope, I do too! I really like it and don't understand all the hate it gets. Sure when you compare it to the original, it looks inferior, but it was still a really fun game to play on long bus trips.
It's cool if you spend the bus trip of half an hour to go through a dungeon and then get killed by the boss in bullshit ways then spend the return trip to do it over again.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Mega64 posted:

Anyone try out this hack yet for FFT:WotL? Seems like it's supposed to balance out more of the tedious and bullshit parts of the game, but one should always be wary of ROM hacks.

I just finished the intro fight; the fact that the battle ended with Ladd, Lavian and Alicia down entirely because the enemy was able to properly utilize and coordinate its attacks has me excited to see more. I haven't gotten far enough to see what changes Eternal has made to the jobs, though I did notice that Focus/Accumulate actually costs 5 MP now.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Mega64 posted:

I've never played it, but I do vaguely recall the PSX version of the patch. For better or worse it fucks about with most everything, but people seemed to enjoy it, and it's not frustratingly boring/hard like some other FFT hacks. If you're interested in playing through FFT with a rebalance patch you could do worse than that one.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Memoria is a cool and interesting idea for a final dungeon. It's also interesting to learn that memory is touched upon in all three PSX final fantasies

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FF9 Unleashed trip report: Just powered through the Desert Palace.

Oeilvert was tough, but not bullshit tough like the Alexandria assault. I managed to down Ark on my first attempt though I was about running out of steam by the time I sunk it. The Desert Palace, as usual, was a breeze. The battles were a bit tougher than normal, as some enemy levels were changed making it impossible to just cheese your way through it by spamming Lv5 Death. I can't say the same for the boss, though. No mod can make Valia Pira a challenging battle as long as you use the Quina/Vivi/Eiko power trio :allears:.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mega64 posted:

Just glancing over some of the changes, but it removes Move +3 and Move+2? What the hell? I see nothing about Teleport, which was already arguably the best movement ability. Removing Move+2 is just dumb.

I suspect there are a bunch of changes I'm not seeing though, since it makes comments like "Summons have been lowered to Blizzard power. (PSX/PSP)", which just makes no sense if going from a base game perspective.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 12, 2014

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Schwartzcough posted:

Just glancing over some of the changes, but it removes Move +3 and Move+2? What the hell? I see nothing about Teleport, which was already arguably the best movement ability. Removing Move+2 is just dumb.

I suspect there are a bunch of changes I'm not seeing though, since it makes comments like "Summons have been lowered to Blizzard power. (PSX/PSP)", which just makes no sense if going from a base game perspective.

The linked thread only includes the recent changes. There's a full changelist in the original PSX thread.

I only skimmed it but there's a ton of changes. Mostly formula and stat adjustments, but there's a bunch of good and bad and weird stuff too. Special units can go on propositions, no random encounters unless you choose them, squire loses JP Up but calc gains it, hamedo and blade grasp are gone, charge has reduced CTR, guests join at party level. Oil status works too but I think that's the first thing every hack fixes.

It looks alright as far as hacks go.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Never played FF7 before, but I picked it up for the Vita when it was on sale. However, I understand the translation is pretty spotty. I've also heard there's a massive fan translation for the PC version that fixes all that (found it here).

What's the best one to play FF7 for the first time with? Original translation, or the fan translation for added clarity?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cirosan posted:

Never played FF7 before, but I picked it up for the Vita when it was on sale. However, I understand the translation is pretty spotty. I've also heard there's a massive fan translation for the PC version that fixes all that (found it here).

What's the best one to play FF7 for the first time with? Original translation, or the fan translation for added clarity?

Play the original version. The fixed translation has issues of its own and it's worth at least getting the version people are familiar with.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Play the original version. The fixed translation has issues of its own and it's worth at least getting the version people are familiar with.

Out of curiousity, what are they? Just the usual fan translation hurdles of being too literal and edgy for edginess' sake?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fungah! posted:

Out of curiousity, what are they? Just the usual fan translation hurdles of being too literal and edgy for edginess' sake?

Too literal and insisting on using weird translations based off obscure Japanese sources. Like they used "Leno" instead of "Reno" becaue it's written as "Leno" in a Japanese character file! (Ignore the fact that English writing in Japanese-only material is often more style and substance and frequently does the L/R switch among many other things.)

It's not a huge world-changing thing but clinging to "it's written in English here" is a really dumb thing to do. Like even if you're going to retranslate Elena's name, using Yrnea for イリーナ instead of say, Irina is silly, especially because there are other examples of the same name being translated as Irina and it's, y'know, an actual name. Likewise, Zeng and Tseng are both viable renderings of the Chinese name so changing it from the familiar name used by the English translation isn't actually 'correcting' anything, it's just fan-translation wankery.

They're not even consistent with it because they went for "Zax" instead of "Zack" despite Zack being how it is written in English in several Japanese pieces of material. To be fair, S-E did alter the name slightly after the fact to read closer to Zack instead of Zax but this is a case where the official material was clarified to make it more clear what the intended reading was, and it just so happens to coincide with the official English translation. That's really not a case where you should be going for a different name.

The original translation is really lovely, mind, but if you're playing through the first time you might as well be on the same page as everyone else and go for the retranslation if you decide to replay it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 13, 2014

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
They also change "moogle" to "moguri" which I feel is just a loving insufferable thing to do.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh my god did they actually?

I was going to ask just how bad it could be to be worse than FFVII's original translation, but welp.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
To be honest I'm mostly trusting ImpAtom's word here. I'm trying to hunt down a full script comparison to get a feel for it, as retranslation projects of FF games is something I have an embarrassing amount of interest for, but all I've found so far is a document containing the changes to names and terminology (here if you want to take a look at it). Generally speaking, though, the kind of translator who thinks the word "moogle" is an error that needs to be fixed is, in my estimation, approaching the project with the wrong attitude.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I admit that part of my problem with the project is just that the guys in charge really seem more interested in swinging their e-dicks around more than anything. (The FAQ section in the earlier linked page is pretty insufferable.)

Objectively, it's hard to do a worse translation than the original FF7 without going full-on Wild Arms 2 or Machine Translated so the new one is a step up, it just hits a lot of annoyance-buttons for me even with the option to use the 'wrong' names. You might even feel differently, I just really do honestly feel a first playthrough makes more sense with the PSX version and a modded-to-hell-and-back experience on a replay so you can appreciate the changes both good and bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The original translation is pretty bad, but at least you don't want to stuff the people who made it into a locker.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

One of the other big problems with the people doing the translation is they're....those sort of FFVII fans. The "There is no humor in this at all!" sorts. Scroll down a tad and you get this bit, on a future (psh, yeah. It's never happening) feature of the patch:

quote:

When finished, this mod will completely remove Cait Sith from the game in favour of a new human character called Iscar Matthias. Iscar is from Judus Iscariot, and Matthias was the apostle chosen to replace him. I have chosen these names to be symbolic of the character's betrayal, and change into a valued ally. Iscar will change and grow as a character. At first he will be a simple Shin-Ra spy, dedicated to his job, but over time, he will come to understand that he is working for the wrong people and change sides.

Cait Sith is a poorly written character that was probably shoe horned into the story late in development. The character has no logical or believable reason to join your party, or be allowed to join it. The idea that Reeve, a top executive for Shin-Ra, could or would remote control a toy robot cat mounted on top of a stuffed white toy as a tool for espionage, is ridiculous.

Iscar will change the character model, script, FMV and battle related information. Cait will be utterly annihilated. Where possible I will stick to the original script. The basic plot will remain intact, except that it will be more plausible. I have actually had fanboys trying to rationalise the writing regarding Cait Sith. These people generally display an unbelievably poor understanding of fiction and writing (the usual excuse being "It's just fiction" *roll eyes*).

Cait's going no matter WHAT you say.

Now granted, I'm not the biggest fan of Cait Sith, but really?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Someone make an :ironicat: emoticon that's cait sith so I can quote that 'generally poor understanding of writing and fiction' part.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I want to find whoever made that post and steal their lunch money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also, if you want to remove cait sith, why not just change it so Reeve himself is the spy? Wouldn't that be less work? Why come up with Original the Hedgehog?