Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Producer/Showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 49 7.04%
John Wiles 1 0.14%
Innes Lloyd 1 0.14%
Peter Bryant 3 0.43%
Derrick Sherwin 3 0.43%
Barry Letts 12 1.72%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 62 8.91%
Graham Williams 3 0.43%
John Nathan-Turner 15 2.16%
Philip Segal 3 0.43%
Russel T Davies 106 15.23%
Steven Moffat 114 16.38%
Son Goku 324 46.55%
Total: 696 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
The Sydney premiere doesn't start for 2 hours, yet the theatre lobby is already full of some truly atrocious cosplay. It's mostly 4th Doc scarves (one kid looks like Mr Bean as Tom Baker), with a few 11s mixed in. Also a giant goonlord wearing a fez. What a time to be a Who fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
One of the best parts of the NY premiere is going to be that I'm undoubtedly going to be the best-dressed nerd there.

I don't think there's another coat like mine in the entire tri-state area.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

DoctorWhat posted:

I don't think there's another coat like mine in the entire tri-state area.

I give it a grand total of maybe five of them in the entire world.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I'll be generous and say there are maybe fifty coats that attempt to be Six coats. Of those, maybe ten are as good or better than mine.

I mean, mine has flaws. The collar pattern isn't QUITE right and it's missing that weird green-and-orange strip down the middle of the lower back.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I just hope you get to meet Colin again, wearing the outfit. It will be a beautiful moment.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I'm worried about Blinovich acting up, to be honest.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

$75 for a hat!

That's not an uncommon price for a hat

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's not an uncommon price for a hat

Especially a good quality folding panama hat. There are more expensive ones on that site.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Screening just ended. No spoilers, but the first ep is a shitload of fun. Capaldi was the right choice.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky a whole hell of a lot. It's actually quite bad in a lot of places with one of the stupidest resolutions to a threat I've seen, and a character redemption that isn't really earned, plus a somewhat uneven moral message. It also once again demonstrates the issues that RTD had with trying to create a "Post-Aliens World" where extra-terrestrials are an established fact, because he still tries to balance that total game-changer with maintaining the parallel between the "real" world of relateable Modern-Day London. But for all those very real problems (plus one terrible cliffhanger).... I just love both episodes and am entirely too willing to forgive its faults. It brings back the Sontarans (:swoon:), it returns UNIT to relevancy (:neckbeard:) and it features a fantastic performance from Christopher Ryan, plus the now requisite excellent stuff with Donna. It also brings the Doctor's moral authority (and his resolve) into question, furthers the concern over the effect the Doctor has on his companions, and even offers some slight closure for Martha and the ill-advised crush storyline that stood in place of character development in season 3. It also somewhat redeems Helen Raynor, who was responsible for the utterly dire Dalek 2-parter in season 3.

The Sontarans are immensely silly villains from the classic show that I've nonetheless always enjoyed. When the Judoon first showed up in Smith and Jones I though they might be Sontarans and got unreasonably excited, so to see their return was a big thrill for me - I can't say how new viewers reacted to these tiny little potato-headed things but I was over the moon, especially since they maintained their completely non self-aware ludicrousness intact AND their frightening talent for war. Perhaps the biggest misstep that the classic show ever took was trying to make the Sontarans heavy-hitters capable of taking on the Time Lords, so I was so happy that despite the Doctor's warnings to the humans that they were outclassed by the Sontarans, they didn't lose sight of their comparative patheticness in comparison to the likes of the Daleks. Staal's consternation at the Sontarans being left out of the Time War is fantastic, because OF COURSE they would desperately want to be involved and OF COURSE nobody would invite them. The Sontarans are locked in an endless pissing war with their arch-enemies the Rutans (only ever seen in the excellent Horror of Fang Rock), and though they're technologically far in advance of humanity, they're children compared to the likes of the Time Lords, Daleks, or hell even the Cybermen. At no point during this two parter did I think the Sontarans weren't written excellently, their arrogance and excitement for war and gleeful refusal to surrender in the face of certain death was just pitch-perfect. Raynor did a fantastic job of capturing the spirit of these ridiculous old monsters.

General Staal is the face of the Sontarans, one of only two Sontarans we see with their helmets off or getting any dialogue. He's played with utter gusto by Christopher Ryan, perhaps best known as Mike (The Cool One) from The Young Ones. The best part of his performance is that he finds the perfect balance between the comic and the serious - he never lets Staal in on the joke, playing him with utter sincerity and a completely self-absorbed belief in his own superiority. There are moments where he is ranting about the glories of war, moments where he is assuming an almost paternal appreciation for Luke, moments where he is sternly misunderstanding puns, moments where he is enthusiastically welcoming a glorious death, moments where he is instructing human soldiers on their merits and shortcomings etc and through none of it does he not maintain the integrity of his character. It's a brilliant performance, and considering the clone nature of Sontarans it is a pity he has only made one other appearance I can recall, in The Pandorica Opens. Funnily enough, the other Sontaran we get to see HAS returned regularly - Dan Starkey plays Skorr, who is probably most familiar now to Doctor Who viewers as the recurring character of Strax, mostly used (to a fault) as comic relief. He's not as good as Ryan, but he has a good turn as the second-in-command, and his death is handled absolutely brilliantly. He underestimates a human and dies, but he does it face-to-face and has just enough time to gush with happiness at dying a warrior's death.

After a couple of seasons of playing up Torchwood, this episode brings UNIT back into the ascendency as the military organization that deals with extra-terrestrial or otherwise unusual threats. The Doctor is recalled to earth by Martha, who it turns out has become a proper doctor herself now and taken a job with UNIT. Like he did in season 1, the Doctor is less than enthusiastic about reacquainting himself with them - after all they're a MILITARY organization even if they answer to the United Nations as opposed to the United Kingdom, and run by completely different people to the "UNIT Family" the third Doctor was so closely linked to. The Doctor questions their methods, constantly belittles their ability to stand up in a fight with the Sontarans, and essentially treats them like children. What's good is that Colonel Mace doesn't just sit and take this abuse - while he does express delight and a little awe at being in the presence of the Doctor, he constantly bickers with him, calls him out on trying to act as the moral authority on behalf of humanity (and the Doctor rather tersely replies that he has decided for himself he deserves it) and comes up with his own solutions when he finally gets the Doctor to explain just how the Sontarans are disarming his men. UNIT is given shabby treatment by the Doctor (with the exception of Ross, who he actually spends time chatting with) and we're constantly told they're outnumbered and outclassed by the alien menace... and then they take their fate into their own hands and defend the earth on their own terms, and they succeed, defeating the superior force with surprising ease. Yes in the bigger picture point of view that just leaves them set up to be wiped out by the Sontarans from orbit, but I am very glad that - as violent and military-minded as it was - this was a story where the humans didn't just sit back passively and let the Doctor handle things for them. They're not children, they need to stand up for themselves, and I feel like this story in many ways is a repudiation of the Doctor's petty revenge on Harriet Jones in The Christmas Invasion for doing much the same thing.

But the story doesn't celebrate violence for its own sake. While the Doctor's moralizing on the importance of not using a gun is to be applauded, there is very much an undercurrent of the Doctor's moral high ground being built on the bodies of those who fight on his behalf (whether he wants them to or not). This will be cruelly pointed out to him at the end of the season, but it comes up here (out of concern, not cruelty) as well from - who else? - Donna. Upon discovering that Martha is now working for a military organization, Donna immediately asks the Doctor if this is what happens to the people who travel with him - they become soldiers? It's not entirely accurate, of course, but there is enough truth there that it's a claim that can genuinely hurt the Doctor, and I'm glad it gets brought up this early in the season and isn't just left to subtext or arguments over interpretation.

Donna gets to show off her practical side again, as well as more demonstrations that she thinks of things that others do not (including the Doctor). It's her who spots the oddness of the workers and the fact that none of them have taken a sick day. It's her who pricks the Doctor's ego and immediately sidelines any notion that she and Martha might be catty towards each other. It's her who notices that Martha is engaged to be married (to the current World Hide'n'Seek Champion, Tom Milligan). She also greatly enjoys letting the Doctor's mouth run away with him when he misunderstands her decision to return home (egged on by Martha who explains how her family were left devastated by the four days she was only somewhat available to them during season 3) and gets all poetic and weepy-eyed. Trapped onboard the Sontaran Ship, she defeats one and escapes back to earth. She more than holds her own in the story, and despite being largely separated from the Doctor (and with the return of Martha) she still manages to get fit into the story without feeling jammed in or an afterthought.

Martha, meanwhile, gets to play a slightly different character as her own clone, though due to her undercover status she generally just plays it as Martha with the odd sinister look. She does at least get a storyline (with a little something thrown in for all the "Martha Jones is a Rutan!" people) and has a reason for being on the show. There is a chance to address her crush on the Doctor, with Donna cracking a joke that she's definitely over him after comparing him to her father, and establish that she HAS moved on with her life - she got a partner, got a career, she is going places and the Doctor no longer dominates her life like he did in season 3. Of course you could also argue that her entire life STILL revolves around the Doctor, since she's working for UNIT and still living a life involving aliens and advanced technology. Is she a soldier or a doctor? She still lacks a solid personality and character, and sadly the moment where she could have walked away free and clear of any lingering doubts is taken away when she makes her big goodbye speech to the Doctor and promptly gets locked in the TARDIS and taken along unwillingly for another ride and one more episode - one where her presence will be almost entirely unnecessary. That's basically Martha in a nutshell, sadly, an extra companion without a defined character who just seems to be there.

But while character-wise this story has a lot going for it.... the plot itself is pretty goddamn silly, even for Doctor Who. A genius called Luke Rattigan has invented a zero-carbon device for cars, which have become mandatory throughout the United Kingdom and in a growing number of places around the world. This is another game-changer like being in a Post-Alien world, casually tossed out as a part of everyday life. The ATMOS System (That's a tautology!) would be a HUGE deal, and just how it could have been so quickly introduced, accepted, produced, distributed and legally accepted doesn't make any sense at all - it's the type of thing you might see happen in a Pertwee-era episode, where some scientist comes out of nowhere with some crazy invention that everybody but the Doctor accepts (but he's busy trying to repair his TARDIS). How exactly the Sontarans built something that the Doctor couldn't open with his Sonic Screwdriver (until suddenly he can) is beyond me, and the danger of the activated ATMOS' is never sold at all - people cough a little and worry about when it hits 80% and everybody magically dies. The cumulative effect of that gas apparently dissipates pretty drat fast, you'd think a few thousand people would get cancer from the exposure at least. While the resolution is road-signed in episode 1 when the Doctor visits Rattigan's Academy, his decision to solve the problem by IGNITING THE ATMOSPHERE :supaburn: is just incredibly goddamn stupid. Fire literally covers the entire planet and then burns out and leaves the usual atmosphere behind without a single concern.... it's really, really bad.

There's an apparent moment of redemption for Rattigan when he replaces the Doctor on the suicide mission (another human who operates as a weapon for him), but it is never really earned. I feel like we are supposed to feel that Rattigan had seen the error of his ways, but had he? He thrills to the coming destruction of earth, mockingly states it was never big enough for him, and eagerly goes to assemble his own army to fight alongside the Sontarans. They reject him, Staal reveals he had always planned to murder them and Luke anyway, and it feels more like a fit of pique or a desire for revenge that causes him to destroy the Sontaran Ship. Is he more interested in getting one back on Staal for the latest in a long line of rejections? Is his ego so bruised that he feels like HE must be the one to defeat the Sontarans? That's more the impression I get, though I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be a redemptive one. But why? Luke never really gets a moment where I felt he realized that his course of action was wrong - had his students actually gone along with his pathetic and immature plan or Staal hadn't decided to kill him, he'd have been up on that ship gleefully watching 6 billion people choke to death. I just don't feel like the Doctor telling him "Do something clever with your life" was a strong enough moment to make him completely change his mindset - yes he knew he was dying, but I don't think it was heroically, but another instance of an immature kid with poor social skills getting the last word. It's probably a good thing he does though, since the Doctor didn't seem like he was going to have the resolve to go through with his sacrifice - the first time I watched this I felt like it was another example of the Doctor's eagerness to sacrifice himself in some noble cause (a holdover of his survivor guilt) but now it seems like he was trying his best to psyche himself up (and failing) while Staal mocked him and refused to be bluffed into running away.

Basically, this 2-parter is full of great character moments and a fantastic re-introduction of a classic Who "monster", but also a pretty bad story with a nonsensical resolution. It features a really awful cliffhanger to part one (I remember at the time the thread response was largely,"So.... somebody is going to smash the windscreen to get Wilf out, right?") and fails to raise the states sufficiently or get across the sense of the danger the world is in. This would have suited a more intimate story, set the action entirely in the factory and don't put all that global stuff in there and you'd avoid all the issues with yet another world-changing event that has basically no lasting impact (people walk more at the end, that's about it). But on the strength of the Sontarans' triumphant return, UNIT's return to pre-eminence AND competence (which will be lost in Planet of the Dead then regained by Kate Stewart), and yet another solid performance from both David Tennant and Catherine Tate, I still rate both episodes highly.

Hell, just watch it for the Sontaran Haka!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 12, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Creature posted:

Capaldi was the right choice.

I haven't even seen it yet and I already agree. :)

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Peter Capaldi's summary of this season:

Trust No One

He is just as charming as you'd expect. After the show he looked exhausted but still smiling and taking pics/signing autographs for a tiny mob who caught him on his way out of a side street.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Man, I hope Capaldi and Coleman get enough rest and aren't too screwed over by all the jetlag. This World Tour schedule seems pretty brutal.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
One of my favorite episodes, specifically for the reasons you mention. Yes, the villain’s plan is silly, yes, the resolution to “ignite the sky” is silly, yes, Rattigan’s redemption is silly…but it’s all played so completely and utterly straight.

To me, this episode really felt like a “classic era” episode with a much larger budget. Silly plan? Silly resolution? The Doctor and companion being separated but still communicating in some way? UNIT? Martha Jones playing the part of Harry Sullivan from The Android Invasion in being there but really a bit useless? Yep, it’s all in there!

And we did get one of my favorite “hell yeah” lines in the new series. “You WILL face me, sir!”

Jerusalem posted:

Hell, just watch it for the Sontaran Haka!

No joke, for about a month after she saw these episodes, the kiddo’s bedtime ritual was reading, the Lord’s prayer, and then the two of us going “SONTAR-HA! SONTAR-HA! SONTAR-HA!”

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Series 7 is really weird to me, in that my two favorite episodes are "Cold War" and "The Crimson Horror." They are two episodes that I don't like much, but the guests are so good, I love the episodes anyway. Usually guest stars distract me from the show, but David Warner and Diana Rigg are amazing no matter what.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerusalem posted:

I love The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky a whole hell of a lot.

You forgot the best part of it :colbert:.

"Are you my mummy?" :v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Series 7 is really weird to me, in that my two favorite episodes are "Cold War" and "The Crimson Horror." They are two episodes that I don't like much, but the guests are so good, I love the episodes anyway. Usually guest stars distract me from the show, but David Warner and Diana Rigg are amazing no matter what.

Warner's big question about the future being if his favourite pop group splits up was pretty endearing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The Sontaran two-parter really is proof that you can make a fantastic episode entirely out of disconnected 'good parts'. Pretty much every individual component of the episodes is so great that we forget that the glue holding it all together--the plot itself--just isn't very good.

I admit I have a soft spot for Rattigan, but that's really just a personal thing. He's a lot like the primary character I use when roleplaying; an egocentric, revolutionary 'genius' (who might not be as smart as he thinks), who'll probably try to do the right thing, but probably not in the right ways or for the right reasons. Why he sacrificed himself is indeed a bit ambiguous, but having written that sort of character for years, I always saw it as an inherently selfish act of self-sacrifice. Rattigan wants to be lauded and congratulated for his efforts, and Staal completely took that away from him. When he destroys the ship, it's not because it's the 'right thing to do', and it's not even entirely as a 'gently caress you' to the people that used him. It's an effort to take center stage, to save the world and be recognized for that, even if it has to be posthumously.

That might not have been the intention, but I know if I was writing it with that in mind, it would have turned out exactly the same way.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Did you know that Peter Capaldi and Craig Ferguson were in a punk band together in the late 70s-early 80s? And that they did songs about episodes of The Outer Limits?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHXCzC2wGlo

Because they were and they did. That's Peter on lead vocals, by the way.

According to this radio interview, Capaldi's also been lobbying the BBC to get an amp and guitar into the TARDIS console room.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

DoctorWhat posted:

Did you know that Peter Capaldi and Craig Ferguson were in a punk band together in the late 70s-early 80s? And that they did songs about episodes of The Outer Limits?

According to this radio interview, Capaldi's also been lobbying the BBC to get an amp and guitar into the TARDIS console room.

I legitimately love this song.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DoctorWhat posted:

If they redo the console room for the new season, here's hoping that part of the console is an electric guitar set in the panel controlled by strumming it :allears:.

Also that just adds to the :tinfoil: of Craig Ferguson turning up as the Master, and I refuse to accept otherwise :colbert:.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If they redo the console room for the new season, here's hoping that part of the console is an electric guitar set in the panel controlled by strumming it :allears:.

Also that just adds to the :tinfoil: of Craig Ferguson turning up as the Master, and I refuse to accept otherwise :colbert:.

You know, as much as I do really want Craig Ferguson to play the Master, at this point I feel like everybody wants it so much that if he does show up at all it won't be a surprise. I'd almost want him to be someone else. So what we do is have Craig Ferguson play the Rani, and find a solid actress to play the Master.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Craig Ferguson as The Meddling Monk. Just a nuisance, not so much an enemy. I'd be fine with that.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
How about a regenerated Commander Maxil?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhyno posted:

The theater viewing of Day of the Doctor was kind of horrible for me. It was like Tumbler came to life and filled the theater.

I'm sorry your theatre sucked. Ours was pretty rad, we had a line going out the door, several people in (actually good) costume, and were fairly well behaved. Plus there was a huge cheer when Ten came back on the screen during the intro. :shobon:

Also previous mentioned TARDIS-dress girl story, which is just the most :3: thing.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

DoctorWhat posted:

I knew, but I'd never been able to find a clip of it :3:

This thread is making me watch Craig Ferguson's musical cold opens on his show instead of doing real work.

Here's his take on Fireball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDrGmUlmutY

He could be Davros singing Oops, I Did it Again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gof5Y72HTx4

Someone, make this happen.

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 12, 2014

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cleretic posted:

The Sontaran two-parter really is proof that you can make a fantastic episode entirely out of disconnected 'good parts'. Pretty much every individual component of the episodes is so great that we forget that the glue holding it all together--the plot itself--just isn't very good.

Yeah, I had incredibly low hopes for the episode, between Sontaran stories being generally bad and the two-parter being written by the same woman who gave us "Pigmen in Manhattan" / "No, Seriously, loving Pigmen in Manhattan plus a penis Dalek Part II," but it's amazing how it's so much better than the sum of its parts. The biggest thing is the casting; Christopher Ryan and Dan Starkey are great as the Sontarans and I really liked the kid who played Rattigan.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Rhyno posted:

The theater viewing of Day of the Doctor was kind of horrible for me. It was like Tumbler came to life and filled the theater.

Ugh, I was actually going to buy myself and a buddy tickets today for the premiere, since we missed the Day one...but all these reports of fandom overload changed my mind.

And this cosplay talk reminded me I had told you guys my custom 4 scarf was done, but I don't think I ever showed it (completed). Friend of my mom knits and made me this on commission. Then she ended up just giving it to me, awesome. It's not 100% accurate but the design I gave her was for the 12" variation. I'm 6'2" and once it is wrapped, hangs perfectly.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

McGann posted:

Ugh, I was actually going to buy myself and a buddy tickets today for the premiere, since we missed the Day one...but all these reports of fandom overload changed my mind.

And this cosplay talk reminded me I had told you guys my custom 4 scarf was done, but I don't think I ever showed it (completed). Friend of my mom knits and made me this on commission. Then she ended up just giving it to me, awesome. It's not 100% accurate but the design I gave her was for the 12" variation. I'm 6'2" and once it is wrapped, hangs perfectly.

This post tickles me.

"Fandom is the worst."

"Hey, guys! I got my 4th Doctor scarf!"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I hate the fandom and I own a scarf, but I have the decency to never wear it in public or say the word "allons'y".

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Oh, I understood your distinction from the start. The two points were just funny standing there next to one-another.

Edit: You're not McGann. Durp.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I hate the fandom and I own a scarf, but I have the decency to never wear it in public or say the word "allons'y".

I wore my Tom Baker scarf out once, but it was also something like 10 degrees outside.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Gosh, I do so love how the line for what's "acceptable" fandom always happens to stop at just what you do and no farther. "It's okay to own a Fourth Doctor scarf, but wear it? What am I, some kind of dirty fan?" It's oh so important to divide our tiny little community into the "cool kids" (what you do) and the "nerds" (what someone else does), despite the fact that just the act of posting in this thread makes you more of a Who nerd than 99.999999% of the world population.

I'll tell you what, I've got a hell of a lot more respect for someone like DoctorWhat who isn't ashamed of how much he likes something and is happy to share his joy in it with the rest of us than I do people who claim to love a thing but go out of their way to say how much they hate other people who love that same thing.

Particularly if they use "fandom" as a swear word in the same post as showing a pic of their Doctor Who scarf. :rolleyes:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Fans are cool, it's those goddamn Goons I can't stand!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

jng2058 posted:

Gosh, I do so love how the line for what's "acceptable" fandom always happens to stop at just what you do and no farther. "It's okay to own a Fourth Doctor scarf, but wear it? What am I, some kind of dirty fan?" It's oh so important to divide our tiny little community into the "cool kids" (what you do) and the "nerds" (what someone else does), despite the fact that just the act of posting in this thread makes you more of a Who nerd than 99.999999% of the world population.

I'll tell you what, I've got a hell of a lot more respect for someone like DoctorWhat who isn't ashamed of how much he likes something and is happy to share his joy in it with the rest of us than I do people who claim to love a thing but go out of their way to say how much they hate other people who love that same thing.

Particularly if they use "fandom" as a swear word in the same post as showing a pic of their Doctor Who scarf. :rolleyes:

Holy hell man, I highly doubt anyone in this thread wishes actual harm or derision to come to those folks, especially DoctorWhat. A man deranged enough to intentionally wear a 6th Doc costume deserves some kind of respect.

Why don't you go outside and pound a tree to vent that anger or something.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Before anyone gets into an argument over who the biggest nerd is, please remember that Peter Capaldi has an iron grip on that title :allears:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I hate that DoctorWhat, I hope he falls over and regenerates into someone who's a big McCoy fan

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I hate that DoctorWhat, I hope he falls over and regenerates into someone who's a big McCoy fan

From those pics he posted before I maintain that he'd make fabulous Davison.

Maybe DoctorWhat is allergic to celery or something.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Potsticker posted:

From those pics he posted before I maintain that he'd make fabulous Davison.

Maybe DoctorWhat is allergic to celery or something.

I'm not allergic to celery, I'm allergic to beige.

And this is gonna sound really ridiculous, but bear with me:

I don't really identify as a "Doctor Who fan". I don't identify as an ANYTHING fan. I mean, I don't object to being described as one, and I love it to bits, but I find that getting your identity all tied up in the media you consume is kinda unhealthy. That's what gets you your Tropers and your Bronies and poo poo. I'm certainly not a "Whovian".

I mean, if someone seriously feels better when they associate their identities super-closely with consumer media, then more power to them, I guess; in-groups can be fun! But that's not my style.

That doesn't explain or excuse the coat, but I've long since given up on explaining that particular psychosis. Let's write it off as a hobby,

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Potsticker posted:

Fans are cool, it's those goddamn Goons I can't stand!

Well, obviously. I mean what else are Goons for? :shrug:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Holy hell man, I highly doubt anyone in this thread wishes actual harm or derision to come to those folks, especially DoctorWhat. A man deranged enough to intentionally wear a 6th Doc costume deserves some kind of respect.

Why don't you go outside and pound a tree to vent that anger or something.

I'm not angry. I'm sad. It's so tiresome to see people who love a thing look down their noses at other people who love the same thing, just because they love it "too much"? To decide not to do something cool like watch Doctor Who in a movie theater because *gasp* there will be fans there?

It strikes me as this terrible self-loathing thing, and I wish people would quit it. And fine, they won't. It's important to them to see themselves as one rung higher on the ladder than other fans of the same thing. That's on them.

But if I allow that derision to go uncommented on in a fuckin' Doctor Who thread of all places, then I'm tacitly agreeing that these artificial divisions among ourselves are valid. That there's some arbitrary line between "good fan" and "bad fan" when the truth is, we're all Doctor Who fans together.

If this isn't a safe place where we can be above that kind of bullshit, where is?

• Locked thread