Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J
Jun 10, 2001

skipdogg posted:

I love my cars but they're a stupid as gently caress financial decision.

Yeah my late 90s econobox is in great shape and can probably keep going for quite some time. But all the cars I'm interested in tend to be more towards the mid life crisis car variety. So expensive. :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'd honestly prefer walking, biking, mass-transit over a car. Granted, I love driving, the autonomy of the automobile is appealing but leaving the stress of driving is even better.

Of course, that's only available in a handful of cities. I don't care for New York but maybe Portland/San Fran?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

I'd honestly prefer walking, biking, mass-transit over a car. Granted, I love driving, the autonomy of the automobile is appealing but leaving the stress of driving is even better.

Of course, that's only available in a handful of cities. I don't care for New York but maybe Portland/San Fran?

Me too, my office is in a lovely rear end suburban location because the real estate is way cheaper so I have to drive :( Luckily my Civic is about as gas efficient as you can get, I hope they build more electric car infrastructure here in the next few years so I can consider that.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Really if I got anything else right now besides my civic it would be a 2.0 tdi.

My latest car is a 2013 Golf TDI and I love the hell out of the thing. My commute is all of 12 miles back and forth so I only have to hit the gas station about once a month. Plus burying my foot in the go faster pedal in 2nd or 3rd is a hoot.

I think the safety ratings are really good too, side curtain airbags and the A and B pillars are massive. It's actually kind of a problem, the B pillar is so big and in just the right spot to make looking over my shoulder at my left blind spot next to useless.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

hihifellow posted:

My latest car is a 2013 Golf TDI and I love the hell out of the thing. My commute is all of 12 miles back and forth so I only have to hit the gas station about once a month. Plus burying my foot in the go faster pedal in 2nd or 3rd is a hoot.

I think the safety ratings are really good too, side curtain airbags and the A and B pillars are massive. It's actually kind of a problem, the B pillar is so big and in just the right spot to make looking over my shoulder at my left blind spot next to useless.

I have a 2013 Jetta TDI and love it as well. For about 4 years, I was commuting about 65mi each way to/from work. Most of those were in my old Acura 3.2TL Type-S. I was able to get about 30MPG on that under the right circumstances (No heavy traffic, no A/C etc.) With the new car, I was able to get as high as 52MPG under the same circumstances. Now, I live about 8mi away and, like you, only have to fill up about once a month. 2 weekends ago, I went to visit at my old place and even though I was speeding (about 80MPH) and had the A/C on the entire time, I was still able to hit about 45.3MPG for the trip.

The Fender audio system isn't half bad for a stock 'premium' system. Although the drat door panel pockets (where you would store maps) tend to rattle when I listen to loud music.

Someone mentioned something about a Wagon and sacrificing either mileage or aesthetics. Jetta Sportwagen TDI. Great mileage and (IMO) looks pretty drat slick.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
No matter how great my mileage is in the civic I still have to fill up often because of the commute (60+- round trip) and 10 gallon tank :negative:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

No matter how great my mileage is in the civic I still have to fill up often because of the commute (60+- round trip) and 10 gallon tank :negative:

That's an insane commute. Mine is about 15km and I would start to go insane if it was further, takes 30-40 minutes already :(

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

30-40 MPG is great when you get reimbursed 50+ cents per mile.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I carpool in a 1983 Volkswagen bus, which at one point was converted to some sort of camper and the rear seats aren't exactly what you would call "fastened" to the chassis.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's an insane commute. Mine is about 15km and I would start to go insane if it was further, takes 30-40 minutes already :(

Hahaha I was commuting a good 1-1.5 hours each way to my previous job.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

You realize daf got us on this derail and it's been kept going.

On topic. If you're inviting me to a meeting room to explain in detail how something works it better have a whiteboard that I can draw on. Just hooking your laptop up to a projector and throwing mspaint at me isn't gonna work.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I enjoy my commute. It gives my time to listen to my music, audio books, and podcasts in peace (kids make that near impossible at home)

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

To continue my on topic talk.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1591842697?pc_redir=1407453581&robot_redir=1

This is built for sales engineers but works for techs too. I find drawing out the ideas and plans I have in front of the guys with the money gets me the most results.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

jaegerx posted:

To continue my on topic talk.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1591842697?pc_redir=1407453581&robot_redir=1

This is built for sales engineers but works for techs too. I find drawing out the ideas and plans I have in front of the guys with the money gets me the most results.

The other week we were at lunch with a bunch of enterprise architects while we explained the new framework with crayons on the tablecloth.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Tab8715 posted:

DC's got a pretty expansive bicycle infrastructure and one of the highest shares of bike commuters in the country.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Tab8715 posted:

Question, when it comes to interviews how detailed should I be when discussing other companies? I've had a lot of experiences that have had a positive outcome for myself but don't necessarily reflect well on the companies or clients I've worked with - thoughts?

I obliviously don't want to be sued and I don't want to "badmouth" my previous employers, clients no matter how terrible their decisions, practices may have been...

Don't lie, and don't trash your former employer. Your job as interviewee is to give the interviewer the warm fuzzies. You're a great person to work with, you can thrive in any environment, you rehabilitate crippled puppies in your spare time. Instead of focusing on the crap that put you in the situation, (idiot boss fired three people the week before the project deadline), talk briefly and factually about the situation and focus on how and why you were awesome.

Someone else here can probably give you more specific advice, I just wanted to point out that you want the emphasis of the interview to be on your awesomeness. Not how your old boss is a dick, or the traffic is awful today, etc.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

If you have anything bad to say, say it first and have a "but" in the middle that contradicts what you just said and makes you look awesome.

"lovely manager fired three people before the dead line, but that allowed me to step up to the plate and really take charge with a smaller group which due to my leadership we were able to complete the task at hand"

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My commute is ~4km of road, according to google maps. I've been driving a Golf GTI, but with summer coming I've just picked up a little Honda CBF250 to commute on. I'd walk, but I like sleeping in too much.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I drive either my jeep cherokee or my subaru outback depending on what I have to move or how I feel that day.

But 95% of the time I bike to work because honestly gently caress driving, I can get to work in <15min on my bike without sitting in traffic or paying for gas. It's all trail too, there's half a block of street riding from my apartment to the trail and another half block from the trail to my work's door. There's light rail too but by the time I wait for my train I could be 3/4 of the way to work on my bike.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
And I've been doing a 90 miles each way for a year :eng99:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Inspector_666 posted:

Hahaha I was commuting a good 1-1.5 hours each way to my previous job.

I still do. I wouldn't mind it so much, but its 20 minutes of walking, 10 minutes on a train so crowded you can't sit down, 20 minutes of waiting at a station, 10 minutes on a train where I can sit down before another 15 minutes of walking.

If it was straight "get on train, relax for an hour" I wouldn't mind the commute nearly as much.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Just cutting out one metro exchange and going bus (wiith a seat) to metro (with a seat) instead of standing bus -> standing metro -> seated metro made me a lot less angry at the world. Didn't fully cure until I worked my way down from 1h15 on public transport to 13 minutes.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Guys who listen to podcasts as they drive- any recommendations? Sysadmin focus?

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Comedy Bang Bang is really funny, Bill Simmons BS Report is awesome during football season, and This American Life is fantastic. I know there are some good security podcasts but I could never work on the way to work.

My car is more of a mobile karaoke platform :o:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Swink posted:

I've tried many but I always come back to the TWiT network podcasts. This Week in Tech, This Week in Enterprise Tech, and Security Now are my IT related favorites.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

meanieface posted:

Don't lie, and don't trash your former employer. Your job as interviewee is to give the interviewer the warm fuzzies. You're a great person to work with, you can thrive in any environment, you rehabilitate crippled puppies in your spare time. Instead of focusing on the crap that put you in the situation, (idiot boss fired three people the week before the project deadline), talk briefly and factually about the situation and focus on how and why you were awesome.

Someone else here can probably give you more specific advice, I just wanted to point out that you want the emphasis of the interview to be on your awesomeness. Not how your old boss is a dick, or the traffic is awful today, etc.

And if you do get the job, make sure to watch your mouth about talking ill about your previous job. It can fire back later down the line.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

SaltLick posted:

If you have anything bad to say, say it first and have a "but" in the middle that contradicts what you just said and makes you look awesome.

"lovely manager fired three people before the dead line, but that allowed me to step up to the plate and really take charge with a smaller group which due to my leadership we were able to complete the task at hand"

Ah hah, that's the choice of words I am looking for...

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I had a truly awful experience last year that lead to me being dismissed on the last day of the 'trial' period for the company. Since it was only 3 months, it was really hard explaining the situation to people because obviously it was not a good fit, and I couldn't leave before I was terminated with severance.

I found that saying as little as possible and focusing on what you did is really the way to go. Sometimes they keep digging, but I would bring it back around to my strengths. It took quite a while, but I finally came to "The group didn't like 'wasting time' with documentation, and at a managed service provider, that made it very difficult to serve our clients well." This shows that I clearly do not subscribe to working without documentation, and that I cared more about providing good service than my colleagues, and that is why I was not a good 'fit' in their eyes.

I could go on and on about how my boss was in over his head and we were staffed with a bunch of Geek Squad rejects that literally called QA checklists for infrastructure builds 'pointless because I am a professional', but all that that does is show anger and resentment.

Focus on why you are awesome and why you think you would be great at the job. From the interviewer's perspective (been doing a LOT of help desk interviews lately) the negative comments/bitching stand out like a sore thumb, and I have really worked to avoid them in my interviews after seeing it from the other side of the table.

Ryzic
Feb 28, 2009

No, actually. I would hate to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!
Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

Boston is a good walking city and has pretty good mass transit. Don't loving drive there though (I drive there).

Audiobooks make the commute not-so-bad though. I burn through two a month on Audible.

mayodreams posted:

I found that saying as little as possible and focusing on what you did is really the way to go.

Focus on why you are awesome and why you think you would be great at the job.

This is good advice. Sometimes your old job sucked and things weren't right, but if you can sell it as how you were able to improve things, that will do a lot take the negative aspect out of it for the interviewer. Another approach is to talk about how you're looking for the opposite of what you had before: "I'm interested because it seems like you guys have a great grasp on X and Y." Chances are though your best bet is to glaze over the negatives at your previous workplace, talk about the great stuff you did, why you think you're a good fit, etc.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

jaegerx posted:

It's obvious, you roll like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4Pu_JuPILw

Dilbert as gently caress style.

It's pretty shameful how much better Baldwin did that scene. Affleck doesn't have the voice for it. Close your eyes and he sounds 14.

http://vimeo.com/64121060

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Swink posted:

I mostly work from home now thank God, but 1-2 days a week I have to drive to the office which is like 70 minutes each way in ideal conditions. So I have slowly been building up a list of sysadmin casts that aren't just the headlines from Ars Technica regurgitated. It grows and shrinks over time since most podcasts put out like 3 episodes and then fail. But these are the ones that are currently active to some extent. If anyone has more, post 'em!

Pure Tech Sperg Shows

Run As Radio - Entirely Microsoft focused so I end up deleting most episodes, but it's well produced and there's the odd topic that interests me so I still follow it.

The Ship Show - Panel discussions about build/release engineering, config management, light software development, general career advice.

DevOps Cafe - Really interesting interviews with people about, well, DevOps.

Arrested DevOps - Same

Ops All The Things - General sysadmin / operations topics. It's actually a good mix of Windows and *nix stuff.

Packet Pushers - Serious network chat. I actually unsubscribed from this one because I don't do much networking and it can get really, really far over my head. They have a couple other casts called The Network Break (formerly Coffee Break) and Healthy Paranoia (about security) that update less often but are approachable to non-neteng types.

The Class C Block - Similar to packet pushers. Very deep dives on networking that will probably bore you if you aren't in that world full-time.

Non-tech

Career Tools - General, non-IT specific career advice like how to interview, do resumes, ask for a raise, get promoted, etc. They also have some paid content but there's tons of free stuff. They do another podcast called Manager Tools, too.

Welcome To Night Vale - Owns, and one of the creators is a goon who used to write for the SA front page. I've heard it described as "A Prairie Home Companion, if mighty Cthulu lurked beneath Lake Wobegon". Just... give it a try.

Various ESPN fantasy football podcasts - self explanatory

The Brewing Network Sunday Session - Beer nerds talking about beer

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 12, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I checked out a few of those but I think the reason I keep coming back to TWiT is for the production value. If I remember correctly, Packet Pushers was one dude with a thick accent breathing into the mix and not even trying to speak clearly.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I can't do tech podcasts while I drive.... I use my car time to relax, last thing I want to think about is tech stuff. My go to podcasts for my long commutes (up to 3 hours a day in the car 2 or 3 times a week)

Nerdist
Rich Eisen Podcast (If you love the NFL)

occasionally I listen to Adam Carolla or Sklarbro Country if they have someone interesting on. Bill Simmons BS Report isn't bad. I also subscribe to SiriusXM so I'll get really interesting Howard Stern interviews from time to time.

I may check out Run As Radio though, as I'm a MS guy.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

skipdogg posted:

I can't do tech podcasts while I drive.... I use my car time to relax, last thing I want to think about is tech stuff. My go to podcasts for my long commutes (up to 3 hours a day in the car 2 or 3 times a week)

Nerdist
Rich Eisen Podcast (If you love the NFL)

Well really then, Star Talk Radio and Nerdist.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I checked out a few of those but I think the reason I keep coming back to TWiT is for the production value. If I remember correctly, Packet Pushers was one dude with a thick accent breathing into the mix and not even trying to speak clearly.

Yeah, I hear you on that. I'd say about half of those have production values between acceptable and good, and the others are kind of awful. The ones that put out more than a handful of episodes generally improve, though, as they figure out what the gently caress they're doing or hire someone who does to produce the show.

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

quote:

Podcast talk

My list is:

The Infinite Monkey Cage - Science / Comedy from the BBC
The Skeptics Guide to the Universe - Science & Skepticism
Star Talk Radio - Neil deGrasse Tyson and Space stuff.
No Such Thing As A Fish - The researchers behind the TV show QI gather around a microphone and bring you the most interesting facts they've unearthed that week.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I don't really have a commute at all, but I do like listening to the Radiolab podcast. They have their regular episodes plus a lot of shorter online-only stories.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sitting in the doctors office. I like how all their computers are windows xp.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

GreenNight posted:

Sitting in the doctors office. I like how all their computers are windows xp.

Welcome to healthcare IT. It's not just your doctor's office. :smithicide:

XP, WS2K3, Office 2003, these are all still a thing in a lot of healthcare facilities. Marvel at that for a bit, and then sob quietly if you have to work with any of it.

Cenodoxus fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My podcast library is Doug Stanhope, Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo talking about films, and John B's weekly DJ mix.