Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST

NoWake posted:

I took some inspiration from Gandhi, "Be the terrible you want to see on the road"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UALFVE5EElU

My wagon's rear window squirter is built into the wiper motor and the fluid actually passes through the axis of the wiper arm. German over-engineering at it's best. After 20 years in the sun, the 90 degree nozzle breaks off and turns your car into a vehicular pissing Calvin. It's only $20 to replace the nozzle, but why would you?

e: phone posting is hard
I saw in a Golf once with a rear-washer that was aimed to piss on tailgaters. Laughs were had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

iForge posted:

gently caress automatic headlights. People need to learn to drive and stop relying on automatic EVERYTHING to give them less incentive to pay attention to the vehicle they are operating and their surroundings. :colbert:
The main thing that bugs me about my automatic headlights is that they're not quite sensitive enough to switch on when I would normally switch my lights on - but on the other hand, this is the first car I've had with DRLs, so my feeling that I need sidelights on to be more visible is perhaps misplaced.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

SlimManFat posted:

I saw in a Golf once with a rear-washer that was aimed to piss on tailgaters. Laughs were had.

Happened to my GTI. Forgot about it and tried to wash my window while stopped at a light, sprayed the lady behind me who wasn't doing anything but sitting there. Sorry, lady!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

ratbert90 posted:

What's wrong with a photo-resistor and a relay?

The one on my car leaves the lights off for far longer than I think is prudent - it has to be really quite dark before they kick in which isn't great on grey sedan.

Also there are plenty of other reduced visibility situations where you should have the lights on but there is still quite a lot of ambient light.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

dissss posted:

The one on my car leaves the lights off for far longer than I think is prudent - it has to be really quite dark before they kick in which isn't great on grey sedan.

Also there are plenty of other reduced visibility situations where you should have the lights on but there is still quite a lot of ambient light.

I'd love functionality that would allow the driver to change the light sensitivity setting for automatic lights. Not sure if any manufacturers have implemented that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bovril Delight posted:

Won't be long until someone pulls you out of your car and batters you for being a passive aggressive twat if you do that to them.

That's why you get a car with hyperactive front fluid sprayers, so when you're stopped at a light it shoots clean over your roof and dusts the person behind you with a "where the gently caress did that come from?" layer of suds.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Cherokees commonly have that issue too. I've sprayed probably 100+ tailgaters with it and never even got brakechecked.

I could have fixed it for like 7 dollars in parts but I liked my tailgater washer.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Michael Scott posted:

I'd love functionality that would allow the driver to change the light sensitivity setting for automatic lights. Not sure if any manufacturers have implemented that.

I had a friend who's Thunderbird had that option (I'm pretty sure). I wanna say it was from the 90's (10th gen),

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There's a growing problem with slow-rear end chinese scooters here.

They can be driven on a learners permit which is only a written test. i got stuck behind one that was doing 30kph in the left hand lane of a road with a speed limit of 70kph. Even cyclists are less disruptive.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Powershift posted:

There's a growing problem with slow-rear end chinese scooters here.

They can be driven on a learners permit which is only a written test. i got stuck behind one that was doing 30kph in the left hand lane of a road with a speed limit of 70kph. Even cyclists are less disruptive.

The only solution here is to install a train or cruise ship horn on your car.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Uthor posted:

I had a friend who's Thunderbird had that option (I'm pretty sure). I wanna say it was from the 90's (10th gen),

Yeah, my 88 Thunderbird had adjustable sensitivity for almost everything, pretty sweet.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Locator posted:

I've gotten used to it over the years, but it still seems like a dumb design decision. Why do I need instrument cluster lights if it's light enough that I don't have the headlights on? Unless I'm driving through a tunnel, I can't even tell the cluster lights are on during the day. It's just weird.

Nthing this. An added "gently caress you" is that my honda fit's instruments have blue lights, the single worst color as far as loving with night vision.

The other thing I miss from my old car (1994 Plymouth Voyager :getin:) is the analog wiper control. It was a turning cap on the end of the turn indicator stalk that had a continuous range between "never" and "constantly." I literally never had a situation where the only options were too slow and too fast.

iForge posted:

The only solution here is to install a train or cruise ship horn on your car.

A loudspeaker that plays looped, distorted screaming. Alternatively, this.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Seriously, does anyone know a good reputable place for buying crazy horns for my sedan on the Internet? I'm looking for the loudest, scariest horn that's still legal in most of the U.S. If not loud then just funny.

All I can find are silly air horn kits. I want a super-loud electronic horn that fits in the default spot if that exists.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 10, 2014

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Until you go to air, you're going to be somewhat limited in your ability to generate sound. The Stebel Magnums might be the peak in so far as electrics go. It was the best I could find about a year ago. They have a nice authoritative tone and are certainly loud.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Michael Scott posted:

Seriously, does anyone know a good reputable place for buying crazy horns for my sedan on the Internet? I'm looking for the loudest, scariest horn that's still legal in most of the U.S. If not loud then just funny.

All I can find are silly air horn kits. I want a super-loud electronic horn that fits in the default spot if that exists.

You could buy a marine horn. I think Wolo has a range of them.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I really miss the red interior lights from my GTI, it was like a submarine in there.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Michael Scott posted:

IIRC some 80s land barge caddy has some really authoritative "oh dear, did I just cut off a train?" Level electric horns.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

atomicthumbs posted:

You could buy a marine horn. I think Wolo has a range of them.

confirming this suggestion. I took a three-horn cluster off an old bayliner once and wired it into my Ford Thunderbird, that drat thing was so loud it would rattle the hood.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

kastein posted:

IIRC some 80s land barge caddy has some really authoritative "oh dear, did I just cut off a train?" Level electric horns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3e5BCE9zFI

I think this is the one. Been thinking about picking this up for my Accord. Along with an M2 that I can access through my sunroof.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Almost all the cars we could afford in my youth had dual horns that had some variation of that Caddy horn sound. Pretty much any land barge from the late 60's or early 70's had duals that were loud as hell compared to today's weak sauce horns.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

SlimManFat posted:

You don't even need rear wipers to do this. Adjust the angle a bit on the windscreen cleaners and they'll shoot over the car even at low speeds. I adjusted the ones on my shitheap contour to shoot 1 and 2 car lengths over the car at 20mph. Perfect for dicks in convertibles...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Most cars already have a pretty decent amount of over spray and/or fluid that bounces off the windshield to begin with. I routinely use mine on tailgaters to great effect without having to re-aim the nozzles.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Turns out dudes in STIs with Monster stickers over they side mirrors (like, on the mirror itself) are dicks. Who would have thought!

There were four of us getting on the interstate: two SUVs, STI, me. The ramp merges into a three lane highway that was (shockingly) empty at the moment. The ramp ends, everyone starts merging to the left, when the STI decides to pass both SUVs on the shoulder to the right, not in one of the three open lanes to the left.

Dude ended up passing a truck on the left, a couple more cars on the shoulder on the right, and getting off at the next ramp a mile up the road about four car lengths ahead of me.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
Witnessed an accident this weekend. I was the fifth car in line waiting for the light to turn green so I didn't have the clearest view but it looked like the pickup truck running their red light to go straight hit the car running their red light to turn left.

pimpedlightsaber
Dec 3, 2005

dissss posted:

That's my biggest issue with automatic lights, when it's raining/foggy and people just cruise along with DRL's (or nothing) on. If a car has automatic lights they should also turn on with the wipers, since apparently no one remembers how to turn them on manually. It's dark and rainy right now, so it should be a fun drive home seeing silver/white cars all over the place with no lights on.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

pimpedlightsaber posted:

That's my biggest issue with automatic lights, when it's raining/foggy and people just cruise along with DRL's (or nothing) on. If a car has automatic lights they should also turn on with the wipers, since apparently no one remembers how to turn them on manually. It's dark and rainy right now, so it should be a fun drive home seeing silver/white cars all over the place with no lights on.

I still think DRLs should just be low beam headlights that switch on with the ignition - I can't see any real drawbacks aside from maybe having to replace headlight bulbs a bit more often (I've never gotten the argument that having tail lights on makes the brake lights harder to see)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

dissss posted:

I still think DRLs should just be low beam headlights that switch on with the ignition - I can't see any real drawbacks aside from maybe having to replace headlight bulbs a bit more often (I've never gotten the argument that having tail lights on makes the brake lights harder to see)

I agree with this but my only request would be that you can toggle them off if required, but they would reset to automatic on after you turn the car off. I can think of a few places where you might want them turned off--for instance the ferry system here in WA requests headlights off when loading to help the workers.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

I agree with this but my only request would be that you can toggle them off if required, but they would reset to automatic on after you turn the car off. I can think of a few places where you might want them turned off--for instance the ferry system here in WA requests headlights off when loading to help the workers.

They request but nobody pays any attention, the signs requesting parking lights only have been there for 25+ years and nearly nobody does it. That was part of why I disabled the DRLs on my Golf, the other reason being that motorcycles disappear into the sea of DRLs even during the day. Still irritates me that DRLs became mandatory basically based on flawed studies, a single vehicle does stand out more with headlights on all the time but that doesn't hold up when everyone does it. Not that anyone pays any attention anyway.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

Speaking of WA ferries, my favorite is the idiots who set their car alarms on the ferries. Every once in a while you will get this on normal ferries, like the Kingston/Edmonds or Seattle/Bremerton route, but I always run into it with some tourists heading out to the San Juans. Soon as the ferry starts moving, the alarms go off and just keep going because the idiots are upstairs on the decks.

I always give people poo poo when they do this. loving tourists, don't you know ferries move?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well they already failed the intelligence test when they had the alarm installed.. it was demonstrated a long time ago that audible systems don't have any measurable effect on theft rates.

So turning it on for a ferry ride is completely in character.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Pulled past some middle-aged woman sitting at a red light in the far left lane of a one-way street intersecting with another one-way street and made a left on red. She proceeded to chase me down and pull up next to me at the next light, rolled her window down and berated me for "cutting [her] off to make an illegal turn." To which I replied that if she bothered to check, a left on red is a legal turn under state law when making a turn from a one-way street onto a one way street. She completely lost it and said she was going to make up her own traffic laws too and proceeded to peel out and run through the red light we were sitting at. Sometimes I think that these people literally did get their driver's licenses out of a cracker jack box.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Doesn't surprise me at all. This has been popped up on Facebook last week for me as I have family in the STL area.

The comments have gotten a little better, but you still have people adamantly defending the DRIVER. The amount of hate and despise for cyclists almost rivals Freeper hate, when people literally begin suggesting that running them over is a solution. In fact, there's probably some overlap there with the people saying that and Freep.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
The fact that grown-rear end men and women are quite often literally okay with committing murder as long as the victim is on a bicycle is the reason I don't bike.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I've actually been looking for a bike for the last couple weeks, so when this game up, it was pretty jarring to see so much open hate. I knew cyclists were looked down upon, but not so much so that people would literally suggest cyclist eradication.

Thankfully, I live less than a mile from a trail entrance in my city, so I can stay off the road completely if I ride for pleasure or fitness, so I'm a little less concerned about these idiots. Still scares the poo poo out of me that they have licenses though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Familiarity seems to help, where I work cyclists are extremely common and drivers have to coexist with them on a daily basis. It's bred an environment where everyone gets along just fine.. there's been no collisions or road rage incidents for as long as I can remember. It is a bit irritating when a cyclist blows through a stop sign or a train of 20 bikes makes it impossible for vehicles to pass without interfering with oncoming traffic, but it's gotten better over the years as education improves.

I suspect people who don't normally encounter cyclists buy in to the crap they read on the internet and let their prejudices take over.. only way I can see to fix that is for more people to start cycling and eventually things will settle down.

Getting cities to make wider roads would help too, we don't necessarily need dedicated bike lanes but making enough room on the shoulder so that a car can pass without crossing a yellow line would be a major improvement.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's the usual deal, though, isn't it? I have no sympathy if someone being an idiot on a bike gets themselves killed, but the road is the proper place for cyclists, and drivers should treat them as they would any other vehicle.

I think there definitely needs to be a big push, though, that if you're out on your bike and you encounter the stereotype red-light-running, rules-don't-apply-to-me cyclist, you call them on their poo poo and give them some abuse for it. Not just handwavy "oh, but not all cyclists are like that" posts on the internet, make it clear that you think they're loving idiots and you do not want to be associated with them just because you're also on a bike.

With any group where a certain contingent of that group presents a bad image to the outside world, you have to say gently caress solidarity and loudly disassociate yourselves with them. Same with "car" people vs "what people whink car people are, but who car people think are twats too" people.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've been tempted to throw stuff at bicyclists who try and run over me & my dog. Not tempted strong enough to actually do it of course, just post about it on the internet. But really, I get really pissed if people ride full speed down the sidewalk and try to kill my dog. That has led to some yelling.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CharlesM posted:

I've been tempted to throw stuff at bicyclists who try and run over me & my dog. Not tempted strong enough to actually do it of course, just post about it on the internet. But really, I get really pissed if people ride full speed down the sidewalk and try to kill my dog. That has led to some yelling.
If they're presenting a danger to your dog, do whatever you want. I like dogs.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

xzzy posted:

Well they already failed the intelligence test when they had the alarm installed.. it was demonstrated a long time ago that audible systems don't have any measurable effect on theft rates.

Alarms may well not do poo poo for theft rates, but they do amazing things for insurance rates!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

dissss posted:

I still think DRLs should just be low beam headlights that switch on with the ignition

I've always thought this was in fact what DRLs are (it's what DRLs are here anyway)? What light comes on with DRLs if not the low beams?