Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I stopped playing Skyrim when I finished my first Daedra quest, the Boethiah Meridia one. As I was in the air I came to the conclusion, "The other 16 Daedric Princes are all the loving same, aren't they?" One thing New Vegas had over Skyrim, was that while the dungeon quests were a pain in the arse (NcNamara :argh:), there were a lot less of them.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 19:17 on Aug 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

My Lovely Horse posted:

Red Dead Redemption had a sidequest like that. You come across a man trying to kill his wife. Because it's the Wild West I shoot him in the head, she runs away screaming, mission failed, you killed her husband! Okay. So I reload, because I need to see all the quests dammit, and do whatever it is the mission actually wants me to do, thinking about how limited the morality system is after all.

The way the mission eventually plays out is they get back together, he kills her while you're not looking or something, and you come across him at her grave, where you kill him in a duel. I thought, you know, if I'm gonna kill him anyway, we could have saved a lot of time and a virtual life if we'd done it my way. Such a Rockstar moment.

That sounds like Tenpenny Towers from Fallout 3, but you can't even kill them afterwards in that case.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I stopped playing Skyrim when I finished the first Daedra quest, the Boethiah one. As I was in the air I came to the conclusion, "The other 16 Daedric Princes are all the loving same, aren't they?"

There are three different types of Daedric Prince:

A: The fun ones (Sheogorath, Sanguine, arguably Clavicus Vile)
B: The violent ones (Mehrunes Dagon, Malacath, Molag Bal)
And C: The rest.

If you aren't in A or B, then good loving luck even having your name remembered.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

WickedHate posted:

That sounds like Tenpenny Towers from Fallout 3, but you can't even kill them afterwards in that case.

I'm pretty sure that you absolutely can, its just not a quest.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SiKboy posted:

I'm pretty sure that you absolutely can, its just not a quest.

Well, you can, but it counts as bad karma.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The best part of Skyrim is how it clearly needed a few more months of work just on the quests alone. From reading forum posts about it at the time, it almost seems like the majority of people screwed up the murder mystery quest chain the first time through. Again, this is the kind of thing that could have been fixed, but hitting that goofyass 11/11/11 release date was more important than releasing a game that actually works right I guess.

Bethesda.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I remember that murder mystery being bugged to all hell, so the majority of people couldn't complete it regardless.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

WickedHate posted:

Well, you can, but it counts as bad karma.

The Karma system in Fallout 3 isnt wonderful, I will definately grant you that. Most of the time it wasnt a big deal (unless you were going for the Karma-related acheivements) but it was pretty annoying that sometimes killing people who were obviously bad was a big karma negative, and conversely completing some quests the way that you gain the biggest reward was a huge karma positive (even though your character was in fact being selfish and mercenary). I was going for 100% acheivements in FO3 and the "neutral" playthrough was a pain in the tonsils because I dont like being a dick to likeable NPCs in dialogue, so I every time I got good karma I'd have to balance it by stealing a bunch of poo poo. Going for evil you could go with all the "bad" quest resolutions or just murder people. Its far easier to be wasteland jesus or wasteland satan than wasteland switzerland.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Action Tortoise posted:

I think it depends. I like the characters you meet early on. I thought Jackie and Roland were annoying cliches initially, but the writing was good enough to get me on their side when it mattered. Same thing with Winston and Conroy.

Big Smile Lee gets talked up but when you meet him he just feels like a regular thug instead of someone really threatening.

Winston and Conroy were great. The former kind of redeemed himself in his own thug honour way, the latter slowly made himself irredeemable in your eyes. Lee, on the other hand, does nothing. You only hear about him from police files, beyond that he has barely any presence during the game.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Phobophilia posted:

Winston and Conroy were great. The former kind of redeemed himself in his own thug honour way, the latter slowly made himself irredeemable in your eyes. Lee, on the other hand, does nothing. You only hear about him from police files, beyond that he has barely any presence during the game.

I think you confused Conroy with Dog Eyes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Taeke posted:

I remember that murder mystery being bugged to all hell, so the majority of people couldn't complete it regardless.

There were a couple of Skyrim quests that were all bugged up for a while. Like the werewolf quest sometimes would mess up so you couldn't complete the questline and cure yourself.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yeah but Phobo's got it right with the writing. Dog Eyes felt like a proper antagonist and so does Pendrew.

The other thing that felt off from Sleeping Dog's tone was the dating side stuff. They're so vestigial and once you get the in-game benefit from dating a girl they're gone from the story. Emma Stone even voices the first girl you date, that seems like such a waste to cast someone notable for a bit part.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Action Tortoise posted:

Yeah but Phobo's got it right with the writing. Dog Eyes felt like a proper antagonist and so does Pendrew.

The other thing that felt off from Sleeping Dog's tone was the dating side stuff. They're so vestigial and once you get the in-game benefit from dating a girl they're gone from the story. Emma Stone even voices the first girl you date, that seems like such a waste to cast someone notable for a bit part.

On the other hand, the dating poo poo from games like GTA is really awful and it was nice to see that in Sleeping Dogs it was basically one mission for each girl. Also, Wei is kind of a psychopath that probably wouldn't make for a healthy long term relationship.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Action Tortoise posted:

The other thing that felt off from Sleeping Dog's tone was the dating side stuff. They're so vestigial and once you get the in-game benefit from dating a girl they're gone from the story.

Not Ping got a second date in the zombie DLC!

I'm playing through Trails in the Sky because I'm jonesing for JRPGs apparently, but drat do I hate the random battles. Animations take foreeeever, and I immediately hate it when I have guests in the party since they take their like 15-30 seconds to move away from anything and not do anything useful. Thank god for area of effect spells that chump most of the enemies, though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My Lovely Horse posted:

Skyrim quests are dull beyond measure, which would be forgivable if the combat and gameplay in general was fun but it's not. It's piss easy if you're stronger than someone and if you're not, just chug the 214 health potions you're carrying!

As opposed to the several hundred stimpaks, super stims, drugs, sodas, water, food items, and survival items you can take at the same time in New Vegas?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

RBA Starblade posted:

As opposed to the several hundred stimpaks, super stims, drugs, sodas, water, food items, and survival items you can take at the same time in New Vegas?

You have your quoting mixed up, I said the thing about potions.

I also said

Walton Simons posted:

Fallout combat is hardly thrilling

Also I played in hardcore mode where stimpaks heal slowly so it's less useful to spam them.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
None of the games like Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim, etc. never really had good combat.
Sure you have a bunch of spells and bullets and stuff, but you really always use them in the same exact fashion,
you have little means of straying from the general methods of run and gun, or hit, block, circle.

Oblivion is really bad about blocking. Not for you of course, because blocking will save your rear end because it reduces damage and it links to the Endurance bonus you get when you level up which is an absolute must. Npcs that block are a problem because you will most likely get stunned for 1-2 seconds every second and it really makes the combat seem a lot less - fun.

Also does anyone ever use the dodge roll - I really haven't found any reason to use it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Walton Simons posted:

You have your quoting mixed up, I said the thing about potions.

That's weird, I just pressed the quote button. How'd it pull the other guy's name in?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

Also it's cool to do slow motion shootouts in the game but I didn't like how you had to trigger them with stunts instead of having a dedicated button for it. It works when you vault over cover but it was a crapshoot if it activated when you're shooting from your car.
Isn't there two levels of slowmo when driving? A general one when you pull your gun out (which you can use to abuse driving records I believe), then an even slower one as you aim over someone/car tires.
I remember dubstep wubbing if you wiggle the mouse over someone hanging out of a car.
Also if you're just trying to get through a driving shootout and ignore scores, just tire-shot every day. Nearly every car in the game action-movie flips from 1-2 tire shots.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Croccers posted:

Isn't there two levels of slowmo when driving? A general one when you pull your gun out (which you can use to abuse driving records I believe), then an even slower one as you aim over someone/car tires.
I remember dubstep wubbing if you wiggle the mouse over someone hanging out of a car.
Also if you're just trying to get through a driving shootout and ignore scores, just tire-shot every day. Nearly every car in the game action-movie flips from 1-2 tire shots.

It's not so much they action-movie flip, so much as it is they go flying to the moon and completely out of the way. Though, if you only do that on missions, that's guaranteeing yourself a low Triad rank because you're not causing enough damage to your enemies.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Nobody should feel bad about working for the Daedra in Skyrim, mainly because the Aedra don't reveal themselves so the Daedra are the only tangible proof of any deities. You can easily write it off as their divine will overpowering you.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

im pooping! posted:

Nobody should feel bad about working for the Daedra in Skyrim.

I dunno, I feel pretty bad working for the Lord of Rape.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Cleretic posted:

There are three different types of Daedric Prince:

A: The fun ones (Sheogorath, Sanguine, arguably Clavicus Vile)
B: The violent ones (Mehrunes Dagon, Malacath, Molag Bal)
And C: The rest.

If you aren't in A or B, then good loving luck even having your name remembered.

Well, it's their own fault. You gave nocturnal, prince of the dark, then namira who handles disgusting stuff in the dark.

Not to mention I think there's at least three who deal with different bits of betrayal and sedition... :v:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I only do the Namira's ring thing when I'm playing a Bosmer, and then only for roleplay purposes.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
Funnily enough, I only got sucked into that Namira mission because when I talked to the first cannibal, I had no idea there were cannibals in Skyrim and so assumed that she was talking being a werewolf (since I'd already done the companions questline and become a werewolf a good while before) and after realizing the truth, I only continued going along with it when I read up and found out that you get the opportunity to doublecross them at the last minute. It's just too bad I didn't think to take the opportunity to turn into a werewolf before slaughtering them and then feed off their corpses for maximum irony. :v:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
A lot of the last half of Sleeping Dogs had to be cut for time so that's why it feels rushed. It's also why the dating missions seems like an afterthought, they had to get pruned too.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Accordion Man posted:

A lot of the last half of Sleeping Dogs had to be cut for time so that's why it feels rushed. It's also why the dating missions seems like an afterthought, they had to get pruned too.

It was cut as in it was already coded and they just took it out of the game, or it was cut as in they had to meet a release date and there was no way certain things were getting finished?

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
I actually liked the dating on Sleeping Dogs, it actually gave you some decent perks for doing a small fun mission with each woman, I preferred it to the dating on GTA4 which gave you tiny perks at a great cost (constant phone calls).

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

AFewBricksShy posted:

It was cut as in it was already coded and they just took it out of the game, or it was cut as in they had to meet a release date and there was no way certain things were getting finished?
The latter.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

bunnyofdoom posted:

Wait, crap, Conroy was the big guy.

Pendrew, your supervisor, was the one who made you go "oh gently caress, what am I getting in to?"

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Every source engine game: Crouchjumping. Why is this a thing that needs to exist? Can't the jump just be high enough without needing me to press an extra button, which doesn't take any extra "skill" anyway? It doesn't even make any sense, do you pull your legs into your torso to jump onto higher surfaces?

edit: Black Mesa Source was especially hideous about this with pixel-perfect crouchjumps required.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Thoughtless posted:

Every source engine game: Crouchjumping. Why is this a thing that needs to exist? Can't the jump just be high enough without needing me to press an extra button, which doesn't take any extra "skill" anyway? It doesn't even make any sense, do you pull your legs into your torso to jump onto higher surfaces?

edit: Black Mesa Source was especially hideous about this with pixel-perfect crouchjumps required.

In Mirror's Edge, you did that to pull your legs in to prevent them from hitting things. You weren't jumping higher, you were sort of curling up in a ball to get over things that would normally clip your legs.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's still a retarded mechanic and Black Mesa was awful for it.

Actually Black Mesa was awful for several reasons but the utterly pointless crouch jumping was a key player.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I played this sourcemod about navigating in a damaged spaceship. It had solid mechanics and simple enough puzzles but one of the obstacles required me to stack two oil drums so that I could boost up onto the ceiling. The problem is that Havok physics made this almost impossible to get right since the drums bounce off your contact. If only the two drums changed to a solid object that was fixed onto the floor.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Thoughtless posted:

This bothered me too, so I changed one of the .cfg files to increase the uncrouched jump height. You still need to crouch-jump for a lot of things but it brings them a little closer in line anyway.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Tales of the Abyss is a very strange JRPG, I have never played an RPG where every single party member and some supporting NPC's are such irredeemable assholes, and somehow the main character who for all intents and purposes is a literal machild, is the least rear end in a top hat of them all.

I don't even know if I wanna keep playing this, I hate everyone involved so far.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I think that Sleeping Dogs was an excellent title, and certainly superior to GTA IV in all... but the song Yellow Fever kept playing on the car radio and I wasnt sure if it was racist or not due to the title?

It was catchy, but that made me wonder if -I- was being racist or not for liking it.

Then you meet the girl who sings Yellow Fever and much to my surprise she's a habitual flirt!!!! The song was real! :eyepop:

I was killing people with third-party swordfish and somehow this game had me wondering about the nature of a god drat throwaway pop song. Did I just not "Get" Vivienne Wu's song Yellow Fever? Or maybe... had I contracted it?

Very thought provoking stuff, Sleeping Dogs.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Isn't there a legit bug in Sleeping Dogs where it played the same 3 songs all the time?

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Alteisen posted:

Tales of the Abyss is a very strange JRPG, I have never played an RPG where every single party member and some supporting NPC's are such irredeemable assholes, and somehow the main character who for all intents and purposes is a literal machild, is the least rear end in a top hat of them all.

I don't even know if I wanna keep playing this, I hate everyone involved so far.

This is probably one of my favorite things about Abyss. All of your party members are such shitstains you actually feel bad for the spiky haired animu protaganist manchild. It's the only Tales game since Eternia that I've managed to finish and the first JRPG in years I've played through the end purely for the plot/characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Zedd posted:

On the other hand I'm kind of glad they knew that the story can't go on forever without getting too stale; I actually liked GTA4 but drat that game really could have been condensed into 15-20 less missions.

I felt this way too, it wasn't an issue in San Andreas because you were travelling to different locations as the story progressed.

In the last third of GTA IV, I just lost interest in all the different character plots. They were just another letter on the map where I could get the next mission.

I loved GTA V, the more variety in the environments was good, but I found I was more invested in three separate stories than one single story that dragged on for 3x as long.