Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
Plus the kind of balance that a ttrpg requires is an entirely different animal than the kind of balance a video game requires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
noooooo I gayed up page 666

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
you can run games with no to minimal prep time with experience. my dm can definitely throw a monster together off the mm3 business card if he really has to, and while it wouldn't be as interesting to fight as a monster that took real sit down and think design three generic melee guys and three generic archers could make for a perfectly serviceable fight. maybe give the melee guys an encounter daze and the archers an encounter immob or something

it's harder to improv for than like, world of darkness or something, certainly, but you get more tactics out per psychojoule of mental energy invested

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ferrinus posted:

you can run games with no to minimal prep time with experience. my dm can definitely throw a monster together off the mm3 business card if he really has to, and while it wouldn't be as interesting to fight as a monster that took real sit down and think design three generic melee guys and three generic archers could make for a perfectly serviceable fight. maybe give the melee guys an encounter daze and the archers an encounter immob or something

it's harder to improv for than like, world of darkness or something, certainly, but you get more tactics out per psychojoule of mental energy invested

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
D&D is sad bc you can only express yourself through violence. It's a world where the sword rules. I cry for all the innocent adventurers who died.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

hey nerds

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDbaRBEAxwU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

i never finished that game, maybe i should

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

That game series is amazing. And it's an rpg.

I bet some fans have already made 1000s of half-baked attempts to turn it into a trpg.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Covok posted:

That game series is amazing. And it's an rpg.

I bet some fans have already made 1000s of half-baked attempts to turn it into a trpg.

p sure there's an official japanese one

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I only played like 10 minutes of devil summoner and gave up because of the combat system but the Taisho Era ftw.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

psychojoule

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Ferrinus posted:

I've only been gm for a couple 4e one-offs, but it didn't seem easy to on-the-fly do up an encounter that held to xp budget for a given difficulty. My regular gm had to take 5-10 minutes to work something out if we got into an unexpected fight. Worked great when we sat down for a while and had poo poo planned in advance though. My point is while the barrier to entry for gming 4e is a lot lower, it's still not super brain-dead simple for a new gm to just make it up as he goes.

DW does the whole "okay now you're fighting uhhhhhh...5? nah, 6 goblins. also some cave bats why not." in a much faster/easier way since you only need to pull 3 numbers out of your rear end (HP, damage, and armor).

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

it would be cool to play a persona game using the rules for monsters and other childish things, i think.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
4e is harder to improv for in the sense that it's more obvious when you pull stuff out of your rear end to both you and the other players. it's not harder to just make poo poo up for but the lack of opacity in the rules means that it takes more newtons of disbelief-suspension to squint at a handwaved encounter and call it good than it does in a system with less going on (or where the things going on aren't apparent to the table at large) like wod, *world, or any other edition of d&d

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Nihnoz posted:

the Taisho Era ftw.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Generic Octopus posted:

I've only been gm for a couple 4e one-offs, but it didn't seem easy to on-the-fly do up an encounter that held to xp budget for a given difficulty. My regular gm had to take 5-10 minutes to work something out if we got into an unexpected fight. Worked great when we sat down for a while and had poo poo planned in advance though. My point is while the barrier to entry for gming 4e is a lot lower, it's still not super brain-dead simple for a new gm to just make it up as he goes.

DW does the whole "okay now you're fighting uhhhhhh...5? nah, 6 goblins. also some cave bats why not." in a much faster/easier way since you only need to pull 3 numbers out of your rear end (HP, damage, and armor).

i don't think the xp budget is really important. 4e parties are very, very resilient and the xp budget is easy to roughly guess at. if you have four pcs and you give em, idk, six standards, they'll be fine. hell, give em twelve standards and they might be fine, based on how strong they are

Dec 26, 2012

Nihnoz posted:

I only played like 10 minutes of devil summoner and gave up because of the combat system but the Taisho Era ftw.

i liked ds1, ds2 didnt do much for me and i never finished it

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

Ferrinus posted:

i don't think the xp budget is really important. 4e parties are very, very resilient and the xp budget is easy to roughly guess at. if you have four pcs and you give em, idk, six standards, they'll be fine. hell, give em twelve standards and they might be fine, based on how strong they are

This. You really can eyeball stuff pretty easily. Making interesting places to fight isn't too hard either. Throw around some debris, rocks, trees, a house, whatever. You can make sudden encounters surprisingly interesting.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i roll for 3d6 for Satan

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
my realstionship with satan is complex

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

satan is the adversary and must be destroyed, idiots

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
mr satan is the hero of earth!

Dec 26, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

YHWH has no power on this page, friend

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

i prefer my devils to be powered by socially-aware free range psychojoules

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

get dunked, traitor

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Attorney at Funk posted:

not if you're lawful evil :getin:

originally i was gonna say chaotic evil but then i realized chaotic evil would want to destroy satan just because

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

originally i was gonna say chaotic evil but then i realized chaotic evil would want to destroy satan just because

one two three four I declare a blood war

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

The White Dragon posted:

YOU ARE SO LAME

i had capslock on but i'm not going to edit that post

Dec 26, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

one two three four I declare a blood war

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

yes the blood war is such childish poo poo

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

the blood war is a great emergent consequence of the 3x3 alignment grid which is the thing that's childish poo poo

Dec 26, 2012

the blood war is the logical conclusion of wanting to make a point of making a distinction between law and chaos

so yeah its childish poo poo

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

the 3x3 alignment grid, and as a result the great wheel cosmology, and as a consequence like 60% of the planescape setting, are irredeemable trash

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
killing satanists is the best part of Ars Magica

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Attorney at Funk posted:

the 3x3 alignment grid, and as a result the great wheel cosmology, and as a consequence like 60% of the planescape setting, are irredeemable trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

correct

• Locked thread