Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Well I'm glad I forgot to watch MC live. It allowed me to just skip to the end of the episode once they said only 1 would survive. There was 0 chance of Leslie going home tonight. Leslie and Courtney have a free pass from the producers to the top 5 and probably top 3 as well. its just a matter of who will be the third player, my guess would be Jamiee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

OmegaBR posted:

His truffles looked a mess, but weren't the worst tasting. In general, he's performed pretty well, and escaped every pressure test (not to mention over two people tonight.)

I think he kinda came in with a chip on his shoulder as the old guy and assumed everyone would treat him as the old guy. He strikes me as perfectly pleasant and fun to be around, until you're cross with him and he blows up in a fit of defensiveness. The reason he blew up at Ahran was because she was the most vocal in criticizing his leadership (which was rightly deserved.) And the reason he holds a grudge with Daniel is because he kept riding his rear end in the diner challenge (and hasn't gotten over that terrible leadership.)

But, the guy can cook. It's the fact that he's always in the pressure test, much less Cutter, that diverts attention away from the people who aren't doing so well, like Willie as of late. Or even Courtney, whom the judges adore, but hasn't exactly stood out as clearly the best.

His food has looked underwhelming at worst, but always tasted amazing.

I could see him going home over "presentation" when they need reasons to keep Courtney or Willie but it'll be as bullshit as bullshit gets. Courtney has skated by on the "mistaking salt for sugar" that has sent many a contestant home in previous seasons, so unless Leslie vomits on a plate I can't see him losing until the finale, when it's literally a coin toss.

Gordon making a point that no one else has ever lasted 5 pressure tests and stayed in should be a pretty strong indicator of what Leslie consistently can put up.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Aug 12, 2014

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Courtney needs to pick different lipsticks. Thats my biggest nitpick of her. I don't think its her fault the producers and judges love her, but that lipstick...

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
She probably intentionally chooses garish lipsticks to draw attention away from her nose.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Marchegiana posted:

She probably intentionally chooses garish lipsticks to draw attention away from her nose.

With a nose like that, why underline it?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe it acts like some sort of rudder for her aerial dancing?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Hotel Hell was really depressing. No dopers, no jerks treating their staff like crap, just two people who had the hotel work before a pretty bad accident. :smith:

Not sure I would have set up a beer garden near a college campus though, it seems like an invitation for the state to come in and bust you because some kid had a fake ID.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

monster on a stick posted:

Hotel Hell was really depressing. No dopers, no jerks treating their staff like crap, just two people who had the hotel work before a pretty bad accident. :smith:

Not sure I would have set up a beer garden near a college campus though, it seems like an invitation for the state to come in and bust you because some kid had a fake ID.

How is that different from any other bar near a college campus?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

OmegaBR posted:

His truffles looked a mess, but weren't the worst tasting. In general, he's performed pretty well, and escaped every pressure test (not to mention over two people tonight.)

I think he kinda came in with a chip on his shoulder as the old guy and assumed everyone would treat him as the old guy. He strikes me as perfectly pleasant and fun to be around, until you're cross with him and he blows up in a fit of defensiveness. The reason he blew up at Ahran was because she was the most vocal in criticizing his leadership (which was rightly deserved.) And the reason he holds a grudge with Daniel is because he kept riding his rear end in the diner challenge (and hasn't gotten over that terrible leadership.)

But, the guy can cook. It's the fact that he's always in the pressure test, much less Cutter, that diverts attention away from the people who aren't doing so well, like Willie as of late. Or even Courtney, whom the judges adore, but hasn't exactly stood out as clearly the best.

The impression I get with Leslie is that he's a doofus that would rub me the completely wrong way (and in complete fairness, that can entirely be editing), but he does seem to be the most competent cook left in the competition. Of course, it's always hard to judge those things since we just get pictures on the screen and the judges can say anything. I thought Leslie's tempura wasn't properly done, looked like he overmixed his batter to me, and he wound up with just a batter fried shrimp rather than tempura. But Joe just praised it as incredible. The same thing happened a few weeks ago with Courtney where she put up a pretty weak looking piece of salmon that was visibly breaking apart from being overdone and the judges called it the second coming of fish Jesus.

Leslie has been getting a weird edit. He was getting a villain edit and lately he seems to be getting a redemption edit. I think he's being set up for failure in a late round.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Random Stranger posted:

Leslie has been getting a weird edit. He was getting a villain edit and lately he seems to be getting a redemption edit. I think he's being set up for failure in a late round.

As heavily as these kind of shows are edited, I think in the end you can control your "character" if you are self aware enough and don't fear being eliminated.

I think Leslie probably knew how he was being portrayed, and that it was at least partially his fault for acting like a dick early on. He seems to have made a concerted effort to calm down and not jump down people's throat every second, and it turns out his normal personality isn't that terrible.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 12, 2014

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

pentyne posted:

- He's black (after Josh got robbed because Christine had the better story this should be a priority)

As far as possible black guy winners go, Christian has performed much better than Willie lately.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
My wife loving hates Courtney (which I can't blame her). Every Courtney is on screen, she starts yelling out "Shut up you loving slut. No one wants to hear what you and your high heels have to say."

If Courtney wins this loving season, I think I might not be able to watch next season.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think its just that in my life I happened to have dealt with way more Cutters than Courtneys(I haven't met any uptight ex-strippers), but his personality grates on me much, much worse than hers. There's something about that "I'm just a laid back blue-collar dude, but if you criticize me in any way gently caress off and die" attitude that gets me.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Basebf555 posted:

As heavily as these kind of shows are edited, I think in the end you can control your "character" if you are self aware enough and don't fear being eliminated.

I think Leslie probably knew how he was being portrayed, and that it was at least partially his fault for acting like a dick early on. He seems to have made a concerted effort to calm down and not jump down people's throat every second, and it turns out his normal personality isn't that terrible.
No I'm pretty sure that means his normal personality is an rear end in a top hat, but he's learned to fake nice for the cameras.

Also, all this poo poo-talking about Courtney and we haven't picked on Leslie's hair yet?

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head

Slightly Toasted posted:

I agree with you about Jaimee, I thought she was adorable and when her works been shown it usually seems to be exceptional. There's no way she's going to win though with the amount of attention she's had and especially if they cut that scene in favour of panning to the stripper some more.

I can't stand Jaimee's grandma voice. I know she's probably just nervous, but her voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

raditts posted:

How is that different from any other bar near a college campus?

They're not a million dollars in debt?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Mordiceius posted:

My wife loving hates Courtney (which I can't blame her). Every Courtney is on screen, she starts yelling out "Shut up you loving slut. No one wants to hear what you and your high heels have to say."

My wife also hates Courtney, her stripper heels and her horrible lipstick. She's constantly yelling at the screen.

Also, I really wonder how much of the "hotel's" $1 mil debt is medical bills. They probably didn't mention it (or cut it out) because, you know, "America has the greatest health care system in the world".

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

As depressing as it was, it was a nice change of pace from the usual formula. No screaming fights, no filthy walk-ins, no frozen product, only somewhat bizarre and terrible food (strawberry sushi, what in the ever loving gently caress :psyduck: ). Just a man and a woman trying to get by after life took a big steaming poo poo all over them. :smith: I did like the exchange between Gordon and the guy about the fruit, though. Any other episode would have ended with the owner saying "Sure, canned fruit, why not?" and Gordon getting pissed.

I have to wonder how much the chef and her two apprentices(?) were getting paid to work there, though. I visited Starkville about 15 years back, and it's a nice little town but it's out in the middle of loving nowhere.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Beef Hardcheese posted:

As depressing as it was, it was a nice change of pace from the usual formula. No screaming fights, no filthy walk-ins, no frozen product, only somewhat bizarre and terrible food (strawberry sushi, what in the ever loving gently caress :psyduck: ). Just a man and a woman trying to get by after life took a big steaming poo poo all over them. :smith: I did like the exchange between Gordon and the guy about the fruit, though. Any other episode would have ended with the owner saying "Sure, canned fruit, why not?" and Gordon getting pissed.

I have to wonder how much the chef and her two apprentices(?) were getting paid to work there, though. I visited Starkville about 15 years back, and it's a nice little town but it's out in the middle of loving nowhere.

I've seen strawberry sushi before, even out here in Seattle. It's not that unusual.

As far as Starkville - I'm guessing not that much since living in college towns is generally cheap. Lots of people like to live in smaller towns, and the nice thing about college towns in the middle of nowhere is you get the advantages of a small town (not much traffic and relatively cheap living) with having a nice selection of cultural events nearby (since many colleges have museums, drama departments, orchestras, etc.)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm not really as optimistic as Ramsay seemed to be when he left. He's paying for 6 months of rent and three pro chefs for a month, all with the assumption that in that time business will pick up and they can use the money to pay for that stuff. I'm not so sure that's the way things will go...

trem
Sep 17, 2009
I was surprised that the wife didn't know they had debt. How do you expect to be in the black when you have no customers, a glacially paced kitchen, and you're living in the hotel itself? :psyduck:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Brocktoon posted:

My wife also hates Courtney, her stripper heels and her horrible lipstick. She's constantly yelling at the screen.

Throw my name is this hat. It's extra hilarious because she's such a consistent performer and the producers keep giving her so much shine.

Agreed with Leslie having one if the weirdest edits ever. After last night I wouldn't be shocked in the least if he won the season.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So glad the team challenge wasn't setting Jaimee up for failure, even though it proved what I don't think anyone was surprised by: While she's a great cook, she has just about zero leadership skills. Obviously her speech impediment doesn't help her there.

So my dream final at this point would be Leslie vs Jaimee but yeah no way Courtney won't be in the final. I just hope she'll be there as Leslie's final boss rather than the winner.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
I like Christian, but they acted like he was a super genius for throwing the patties on the flattop grill.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I like dan.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Brocktoon posted:

My wife also hates Courtney, her stripper heels and her horrible lipstick.

I am positive that both of those are producer mandated. Doesn't mean that they're not hideous, though.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I'm not really as optimistic as Ramsay seemed to be when he left. He's paying for 6 months of rent and three pro chefs for a month, all with the assumption that in that time business will pick up and they can use the money to pay for that stuff. I'm not so sure that's the way things will go...

I'm not familiar with Mississippi State or anything, but if they even had a halfway decent culinary program, Gordon should have tapped into that to get cheap employees or something. Make it an internship or something, and then it would just be the salary of the head chef and two others would be cooking for student credits. That's what I thought they were going to do when those young chefs showed up.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Coconut Indian posted:

I like Christian, but they acted like he was a super genius for throwing the patties on the flattop grill.

I don't cook, can't cook, everything I know about cooking comes from Ramsey shows, and even I was like "couldn't they put that on that flat grill?"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

They're not a million dollars in debt?

So... they should not do something that will definitely make them a shitload of money and carries no more risk than any other bar because they're in debt? :psyduck:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
A bar that's flush (instead of $1m in debt) would be able to pay bribes, fines, lawyers, or all of the above, or could stand decreased business.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Oh god, Elise is on that new NBC show Food Fighters.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
I missed the pressure test. What did they have to make?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

OmegaBR posted:

Oh god, Elise is on that new NBC show Food Fighters.

If that wasn't evidence enough, that show is not very good. It's like Iron Chef, but there's 5 matches of 20 minutes each and the "chefs" are bigger nobodies than Iron Chef America. The last "celebrity chef" was loving Duff "I had a show about cakes even though I'm poo poo at making them" Goldman of all people.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Coconut Indian posted:

I missed the pressure test. What did they have to make?

Shrimp ceviche, tempura, and some kind of butterfly shrimp dish that looked gross (sorry Gordon sometimes you suck at things)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

1st AD posted:

Shrimp ceviche, tempura, and some kind of butterfly shrimp dish that looked gross (sorry Gordon sometimes you suck at things)

Was it called stuffed prawns? I would never order that ever and I doubt any of those dishes are really their favorites. Joe's, for instance, was not slathered in red sauce.

trem
Sep 17, 2009
I would've figured Joe for more of a scampi guy.

e: Also yeah the stuffed prawns didn't look at all appetizing

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Cutter was great in that episode of Simpsons he guest starred in.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

raditts posted:

If that wasn't evidence enough, that show is not very good. It's like Iron Chef, but there's 5 matches of 20 minutes each and the "chefs" are bigger nobodies than Iron Chef America. The last "celebrity chef" was loving Duff "I had a show about cakes even though I'm poo poo at making them" Goldman of all people.

Literally her only claim to fame is Hell's Kitchen, not even as runner up, and that can't exactly be a mark of prestige in the real cooking world. She's calling herself the "Diva Chef" even.

Speaking of other shows, Joe is on that Restaurant Startup show on CNBC. He and Tim Love hear two pitches, accept one, give them $7,500 to set up a pop up space to do a test service, and then negotiate an investment.

Only episode I've seen start to finish, Joe basically stands around criticizing everything as par usual, and he offers taking 51% of the business for $100,000 before leaving the table out of annoyance. Instead, they took Love's offer of $150,000 for the same equity and the potential to buyout down the line. I'm sure he's made some deals in the other episodes, but he kinda came off like he does on Masterchef now - if he was gone, you wouldn't notice.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Masterchef Australia is amazing. If you tried to do a sociological study of Americans and Australians based exclusively on Masterchef shows you'd think Australians were the nicest, sweetest people on the planet and Americans were bitchy drama queens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Watching the Fenwick Arms episode

hoooooly poo poo