Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
I think aside from playing The Great Destroyer (which I prayed for, and it was unbelievably cool), it was almost exactly the same as the Lolla 2013 set list!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

hughesta posted:

Setlist was less exciting than Red Rocks, but it was still an awesome show.

Before 'Only,' Trent said it would be his last show here for a long time :(

Well he has been touring for a LONG loving time. I'm sure he's gonna take a nice long break after the soundgarden tour.

edit: seriously, I don't know how he does it. I'm only 32 and after a week long vacation I'm so ready to be home I feel like I'm 80.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I just hope he's not gonna retire NIN again after going so hard last year and this year :smith:

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I just hope he's not gonna retire NIN again after going so hard last year and this year :smith:

I doubt it.

I mean, after the last "retirement" which wasn't any longer than he's gone between albums before, it'd probably just come off as disingenuous and irritating.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
A few things from Toronto:
- huge thunderstorm all night and while it sucked having to stand in the pouring rain, the thunder/lightning made for some cool moments like the drum breakdown in Copy of A and the end of Hurt
- Soundgarden was louder than NIN. Robin/Allesandro's mics were especially quiet.
- the crowd thinned a lot after Soundgarden finished, which may also have been because of the rain
- The Molson Amphitheatre's $16 beers can suck my balls
- first NIN show where I didn't buy a single thing from the merch booth

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bliggers- posted:

A few things from Toronto:
- huge thunderstorm all night and while it sucked having to stand in the pouring rain, the thunder/lightning made for some cool moments like the drum breakdown in Copy of A and the end of Hurt
:stare: Fuuuuuuuuck, I bet! Rainy outdoor shows can be really awesome if it's the right band, and NIN would be the right band for that.

Bliggers- posted:

- first NIN show where I didn't buy a single thing from the merch booth
Everything was probably obnoxiously expensive, huh?

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

At the DTE show the night before, the cheapest anything got was $35 for a T-shirt.

And as glad as I am that my show didn't get rained out, I can only imagine that some thunder could potentially add an excellent atmosphere for much of NIN's live show.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Ehhhhh not amazing. $35 shirts, $50 hoody, $25 poster. I mean, I bought a shirt at every show until this one, and I have posters from shows years ago that are still sitting in tubes. Maybe the nin online store will have some deals after the tour.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

Trash Boat posted:

And as glad as I am that my show didn't get rained out, I can only imagine that some thunder could potentially add an excellent atmosphere for much of NIN's live show.

Seconds after the climax of Hurt, a huge lighting bolt just lit up everything and a huge clap of thunder shook the earth. One of those crazy synchronicities... enough to make a few thousand people scream and howl.

Also watching a storm develop on the backing video for Erasure, while one was literally developing around the stadium was like being in the end of the movie Ghostbusters when Gozer comes out of the dimensional portal.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Bliggers- posted:

- $16 beers

how is that even possible

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

how is that even possible

It better be a goddamn gallon jug with a straw sticking out of it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

canada

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Update: NIN are still awesome live. The opener whose name I'm not going to bother to try to remember were odd. He wasn't bad but it wasn't music that gained a single thing from being played live.

Soundgarden kind of sucked. Cornel just doesn't seem to be putting any effort into his singing at all and holy poo poo they were just kind of too loud.

NIN still ruled. The setlist didn't have many surprises but the visuals were awesome and Trent sounded great.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

axleblaze posted:

Update: NIN are still awesome live. The opener whose name I'm not going to bother to try to remember were odd. He wasn't bad but it wasn't music that gained a single thing from being played live.
Oneohtrix Point Never? Yeah that was kinda what I thought when I saw him live last year.

axleblaze posted:

NIN still ruled. The setlist didn't have many surprises but the visuals were awesome and Trent sounded great.
Niiiice. Yeah, I've been checking the setlists for the shows so far and they've all been mostly the same, give or take a song or two. I doubt the setlist for the show I go to in a couple weeks will be very different, but that's alright.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Was at the Mansfield show the day before yesterday. Last time I saw NiN perform was 20 years ago! The encore of Hurt actually made me tear up a bit. Reznor owns. NiN owns.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Echoing everything above. Dillinger was pretty terrible. Soundgarden did play all their hits/old stuff, but Chris sounded like a mess. NIN was incredible. The Bristow, VA set list was shorter because apparently the venue will kill the power at 11 to comply with local noise laws. :psyduck:

Going to the VA beach show tonight, will skip Dillinger and most of Soundgarden.

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.
Can any of you concert going folk recommend some good earplugs? For years I've been using the foam kind you can find in any grocery store, but I think they're pretty uncomfortable.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Etymotic ER-20s are great and under $15 at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ETY-Plugs-Protection-Earplugs/dp/B0044DEESS

Most people I know either use those or just go the whole nine yards and get custom molds made

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

13Pandora13 posted:

Echoing everything above. Dillinger was pretty terrible. Soundgarden did play all their hits/old stuff, but Chris sounded like a mess. NIN was incredible. The Bristow, VA set list was shorter because apparently the venue will kill the power at 11 to comply with local noise laws. :psyduck:

Going to the VA beach show tonight, will skip Dillinger and most of Soundgarden.
Aww that's disappointing to hear :smith: I was gonna ask in here how Dillinger was on this tour so far before I went to the show I'm going to. What was wrong with them? I've heard a lot of people say they put on a great show.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Did anyone get one of these posters? I had no idea they even existed, and now they are all loving sold out!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bliggers- posted:

Did anyone get one of these posters? I had no idea they even existed, and now they are all loving sold out!

:staredog: Oh my, that owns.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Aww that's disappointing to hear :smith: I was gonna ask in here how Dillinger was on this tour so far before I went to the show I'm going to. What was wrong with them? I've heard a lot of people say they put on a great show.

I don't know if it was mixing or what but it was way too loud and the balance between vocal volume and guitar was really bad, you couldn't hear anything but too loud guitar. Maybe it will be better tonight, I'll edit tomorrow and update.

(edit)

They were way better tonight as far as balance in sound output. Still way, way too loud (significantly louder than Soundgarden or NiN) but at least there was some balance to it.

They were very energetic both shows and had clusters of people who were definitely there to see them above anyone else.

Soundgarden's set was a little longer and Chris sounded WAY better last night. NiN's set was shorter but still top notch. I'll post some photos later or this weekend.

13Pandora13 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 6, 2014

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

13Pandora13 posted:

I don't know if it was mixing or what but it was way too loud and the balance between vocal volume and guitar was really bad, you couldn't hear anything but too loud guitar. Maybe it will be better tonight, I'll edit tomorrow and update.

That actually sounds like Dillinger to be honest

That problem would probably lie with the lack of a proper soundcheck, and I'm not too sure how DEP would respond to a crowd that's not into them - it's an odd pairing for them to be on the bill with, and I could see their stage activity not entirely working in an arena. They're a fantastic live band on the stages I've seen them on, but they've generally been cramped sweatboxes and an incredibly enthusiastic crowd.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Going to the Atlanta show tomorrow, 7 hour road trip ahead of me. What cool merch has NIN been shilling at the shows?

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

It totally slipped my mind that Robin Williams was a Quake fan.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Robin Williams was such a cool loving dude :smith:

That's definitely the best tribute picture I've seen so far. I had no idea he hung out with Trent and Carmack.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
That was the first picture I pulled up when I heard about it last night, I showed my girlfriend and she was like "who brought dad to the nerd party?" :smith: She's cool though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

echronorian posted:

That was the first picture I pulled up when I heard about it last night, I showed my girlfriend and she was like "who brought dad to the nerd party?" :smith: She's cool though.

I dunno, I feel like everybody involved would appreciate that comment.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Well, I did at least. But I never know how goons will take comments about girlfriends. Anyway, I love that picture. I remember seeing it around the time Reznor was working on Doom 3 still.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I figure that this is a better place to try than elsewhere: I've got decent tickets to the NIN/Soundgarden concert in two days, in Austin. Lots of friends have bailed or are unable to go; I'd rather go with a goon than try to sell it, especially since it's right next to mine. I only have one ticket available, obviously.

Anyone want to go?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

EightBit posted:

I figure that this is a better place to try than elsewhere: I've got decent tickets to the NIN/Soundgarden concert in two days, in Austin. Lots of friends have bailed or are unable to go; I'd rather go with a goon than try to sell it, especially since it's right next to mine. I only have one ticket available, obviously.

Anyone want to go?

i might know someone who is interested who lives in the area

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

John Cena posted:

i might know someone who is interested who lives in the area

Have them email me at really.common.name at gmail

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

john.smith@gmail.com? :v:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

EightBit posted:

Anyone want to go?

When is the concert? I'm driving back up tomorrow.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
The concert is Thursday night. I live in San Antonio, so I won't be rolling up to Austin until then.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

EightBit posted:

The concert is Thursday night. I live in San Antonio, so I won't be rolling up to Austin until then.

Oh cool are you selling the ticket or just giving it away? I can meet up wherever in Austin. The concert is at the F1 track right?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

EightBit posted:

I don't have pms but email me at wazzainc@gmail.com

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
poo poo sorry, got ahold of my cousin finally. Not sure if I was going to give it away, but some people are slow to respond :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

EightBit posted:

poo poo sorry, got ahold of my cousin finally. Not sure if I was going to give it away, but some people are slow to respond :v:

Don't worry about it dude!