Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Okay, I just finished watching the episode. it's cool how it's starting to really spread now. The old people's home carnage was a nice start.

But man, this show feels like it moves so GLACIALLY slow. It kinda drains the fun out of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hipster Occultist posted:

CDC Boss literally just watched a chained-up dude with a throat worm lashing out like a starving badger. A smart person may have taken the time to consider how (or why) it was faked, and might realize that Eph faking such an event in such a short timespan is nigh-impossible. A smart person, while perhaps not totally believing vampires are real, may at least order a closer look into the situation. CDC boss does not because he is incapable of actually doing his loving job.

Alternatively, he could be on the rich dying guy's payroll and told these are isolated incidents being contained but not to spread panic. The problem with all "virus spreads insanely vast, can't be stopped" plots is it requires a malicious level of ignorance and refusal to act at all major levels of bureaucracy.

The show can't last another episode with authority figures rejecting that there is a problem. We've already seen at least one vampire roaming and attacking groups of people, there must be others, even if the internet "is down" the sheer panic would draw the cops, and ensuring gun battles.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

pentyne posted:

Alternatively, he could be on the rich dying guy's payroll and told these are isolated incidents being contained but not to spread panic. The problem with all "virus spreads insanely vast, can't be stopped" plots is it requires a malicious level of ignorance and refusal to act at all major levels of bureaucracy.

The show can't last another episode with authority figures rejecting that there is a problem. We've already seen at least one vampire roaming and attacking groups of people, there must be others, even if the internet "is down" the sheer panic would draw the cops, and ensuring gun battles.

Yeah I would think cops/authority figures would know something really fuckin' weird is going on after a whole squad of cops empty their clips into a thing that almost right away gets back up. That would spread.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Did the next episode leak or something? I don't remember some of this stuff happening last night.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

Too weird to be real. Ephraim really didn't help his case by talking also.

Yup, Eph hosed up bad by burning the pilot's body, being able to show his boss that instead of a cell phone vid would have carried a lot more weight against the boss's denial.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

homo punching bag posted:

Did the next episode leak or something? I don't remember some of this stuff happening last night.

I think we're just getting ahead of the show.

It moves pretty slowly.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

homo punching bag posted:

I know this is not a new thing, but The Strain is so unapologetic about shooting in Toronto it adds a bit of extra fun to watching.

Hannibal is more obvious - it actually uses tourist attractions as major locations.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

savinhill posted:

Yup, Eph hosed up bad by burning the pilot's body, being able to show his boss that instead of a cell phone vid would have carried a lot more weight against the boss's denial.

Well to be fair there's about a million different things that could've be done to get this situation attention. At this point it's best just to assume that no, people will not do the right thing.

I think overall it's getting better though, the breakfast scene was interesting.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Don't complain about the show or you will make robocop cry:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

etalian posted:

Don't complain about the show or you will make robocop cry

He owes me one:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

poo poo I love this show. Really excited to see what Pest Control Dude does from here. Finally a bunch of vampires that aren't pussies.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
After four episodes of super slow buildup, suddenly there are vampires everywhere. I kind of hate that, because it makes everything else even more implausible. It makes Setrakians quest to kill the vampires one by one ridiculous and the arcs of Bolivar and lawyer lady less interesting. Why did the master vampires even make that plan with four survivors who seem to be fine - to everyone who has no shred of intelligence. I cannot believe how none of their family members and friends called the authorities. But yes sure there were documents on the internet proving that there was no infection involved so I will just ignore the bloodied eyes and all that stuff. Just have a nap! Well anyway, all the people who were declared dead immediately escaped and apparently caused the outbreak we witnessed this episode. The four main survivors were some kind of backup plan, I guess?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Plus what happened in Europe, why wasn't it completely overrun with vamps?

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

sicDaniel posted:

After four episodes of super slow buildup, suddenly there are vampires everywhere. I kind of hate that, because it makes everything else even more implausible. It makes Setrakians quest to kill the vampires one by one ridiculous and the arcs of Bolivar and lawyer lady less interesting. Why did the master vampires even make that plan with four survivors who seem to be fine - to everyone who has no shred of intelligence. I cannot believe how none of their family members and friends called the authorities. But yes sure there were documents on the internet proving that there was no infection involved so I will just ignore the bloodied eyes and all that stuff. Just have a nap! Well anyway, all the people who were declared dead immediately escaped and apparently caused the outbreak we witnessed this episode. The four main survivors were some kind of backup plan, I guess?

I love that TV is the only place where people expect society to 100% super amazingly handle disasters. We already know that we have a super rich rear end in a top hat trying to actively spread disinformation and outright cover up the whole thing intentionally. Also the Vampires aren't everywhere yet... they still have to overcome some things.

A lot of time these dumb questions get answered if you just wait a little bit instead of trying to be a super genius over a TV show in it's like fifth episode.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This show cares so little for realism or sense that I'm surprised that's the straw that broke the camel's back for you. If you're looking for a cogent and sensible plot, then this might not be the show for you.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Just the show?

TV in general might not be for him

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
Please don't get so defensive. I like the show and I don't care too much about realism. I am confused about the direction of the storytelling because until ep 4 it seemed to go for a slow build-up based on the four main survivors and Setrakian and Eph tracking them down, trying to contain the spread. But now there is already a spread and those other vampires seem to be the exact same variety than those who did not die in the plane.

The other point is not about society but about those survivor's families. It was just too weird how in these circumstances there are three occasions in which the symptoms are so blatantly ignored. Again, it's about what the show does: I would like a (better) explanation for why the people don't call a doctor, or the symptoms could be more subtle.

edit: Now that I think about it, I liked how Joan's maid tries to just run off with the children in the latest episode.

sicDaniel fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 12, 2014

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

sicDaniel posted:

Please don't get so defensive. I like the show and I don't care too much about realism. I am confused about the direction of the storytelling because until ep 4 it seemed to go for a slow build-up based on the four main survivors and Setrakian and Eph tracking them down, trying to contain the spread. But now there is already a spread and those other vampires seem to be the exact same variety than those who did not die in the plane.

The other point is not about society but about those survivor's families. It was just too weird how in these circumstances there are three occasions in which the symptoms are so blatantly ignored. Again, it's about what the show does: I would like a (better) explanation for why the people don't call a doctor, or the symptoms could be more subtle.

edit: Now that I think about it, I liked how Joan's maid tries to just run off with the children in the latest episode.

They probably don't call a doctor because the loving CDC doctors who kept them quarantined had no idea what the gently caress, what the poo poo can Doctor McFamilyPractice do to help them?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The problem with the show is it creates this reflection of standard realism by giving us an organization and government services and whatnot and then doesn't allow them to function realistically. An entire building of police forensics goes offline for a day and no one goes there? The police don't have responsibilities that require their services?

So it comes across as stupid, rather than tension building. This show has literally one (two) things going for it, crazy worm vampires tearing poo poo up and the Russian rat-catcher dude. I'm going to fold the old vampire hunter into the same place as the rat-catcher. Otherwise it's a dumb as poo poo show. I like the worm/vampire parts a lot, though. But let's not pretend it's anything other than a bad show.

life is killing me posted:

They probably don't call a doctor because the loving CDC doctors who kept them quarantined had no idea what the gently caress, what the poo poo can Doctor McFamilyPractice do to help them?

I'd trust my family practitioner more than I'd trust a stranger. I mean, gently caress, if somebody kept me in a quarantine not telling me anything I'd be super inclined to not trust them.

That said, a lot of people would work through a few days of pain simply because in all their past experience it'll go away. And maybe those worms are loving poo poo up in your head quick, making you drunk and hallucinate or whatever. I mean, they're literally killing and replacing your organs, it'd be easy to think they're also filling your brain with chemicals while that's happening...before they kill your brain, too.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 12, 2014

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Drifter posted:

I'd trust my family practitioner more than I'd trust a stranger. I mean, gently caress, if somebody kept me in a quarantine not telling me anything I'd be super inclined to not trust them.

That said, a lot of people would work through a few days of pain simply because in all their past experience it'll go away. And maybe those worms are loving poo poo up in your head quick, making you drunk and hallucinate or whatever. I mean, they're literally killing and replacing your organs, it'd be easy to think they're also filling your brain with chemicals while that's happening...before they kill your brain, too.

Well if the show is to be believed, since it hasn't killed Zee German's brain, would it kill anyone else's? Or was he affected differently?

And my point with the docs was, a CDC doc is TRAINED in that kind of poo poo specifically, and they didn't know what was up. Based on my expert knowledge from a plethora of TV movies and miniseries depicting mass disease outbreak and the end of the world, if the CDC doc doesn't know what's up at the outset, it will usually take until like there are less than a few thousand people left alive on the planet before the superdoc makes a vaccine or engineers a cure. You may trust your family doctor and his stethoscope, but brother, you know that homie is in over his head. First sign of disease outbreak, that motherfucker is like, "gently caress this poo poo," and gets far away.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009

Not exactly, the way it happened was that the CDC had them in quarantine because they suspected a dangerous infection. Then some documents leak on the internet and the CDC people have to let them go because everyone believes there is no disease involved. And then suddenly they get horribly sick. Again, it's less about realism - I might also ignore it because I'm afraid or something - it's about the show presenting me with people being stupid and naive over and over again.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

sicDaniel posted:

it's about the show presenting me with people being stupid and naive over and over again.

Welp, TV and stuff. You know.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Welp, TV and stuff. You know.

That's a bad excuse when you have well-written shows on a lot these days.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Drifter posted:

That's a bad excuse when you have well-written shows on a lot these days.

Well sure. This show isn't trying to take itself too seriously, that's why it's campy. It seems like they want it to be, and if it floats the viewer's boat, awesome. If it doesn't, they can move on. If you know something is going to be campy, I think it's a little silly to nitpick it for small things that don't make sense. I mean, gently caress, vampires don't make goddamn sense.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Fellwenner posted:

The CDC boss guy is dumb as poo poo. Literal video of this, but ehhh, I think we're fine.

He's this show's version of Vaughn from Jaws.

Sure, we've got bits of chomped up girl in a bucket, but we don't have to go closing up the beach or anything.

He's a basic horror movie character, just like the old man who gives a freakishly prescient warning.

I was mad at this show at first, but now that I understand that it's just pulpy fun that knows horror, I'm starting to really enjoy it. It's a slowburn for fans of this kind of genre stuff.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Plus what happened in Europe, why wasn't it completely overrun with vamps?

Probably because the Master stayed low key instead of gunning for the whole world domination idea.

He killed the prisoners during the holocaust flashback scene since it didn't want piles of vampires running amok.

On a random note 30 Days of Night and Daybreakers are worth checking out.

etalian fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 13, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I thought somebody said there was a cabal of masters and this one ran away to the States to go rogue.

The other masters realized that it probably wasn't for the best to try to gently caress with their food population.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I have a feeling they may cut the other Ancients from the show and just have the Master, going off of Setrakian's breakfast speech

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

Drifter posted:

I thought somebody said there was a cabal of masters and this one ran away to the States to go rogue.

The other masters realized that it probably wasn't for the best to try to gently caress with their food population.

In the books, this is exactly right. The other six masters have run things from the shadows for millennia, but have never directly interfered. what the seventh -- youngest -- does with is naked power grab is a complete coup.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

A lot of that makes sense and explains my complaint. Hopefully that's not all glossed over.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

GreenNight posted:

A lot of that makes sense and explains my complaint. Hopefully that's not all glossed over.

They'll get to that in Season 3.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

This show cares so little for realism or sense that I'm surprised that's the straw that broke the camel's back for you. If you're looking for a cogent and sensible plot, then this might not be the show for you.

This.

It's hard to even know where to begin with the insane logic gaps the show is using to force the incompetent authorities trope in the first couple of episodes alone.

Has everyone on the show just forgotten about the huge, creepy, non-diegetic evil box disappearing mid-investigation? Or the airport official being brutally murdered 50 yards away from the investigation? Or the fact that the CDC discovered a novel pathogen on board a plane with 200 dead people?

I was enjoying the show despite this stuff for pulp entertainment, but the glacial pace is really starting to wear thin. It just seems like they're determined to waste as much screentime as possible- how many different arcs do we need for family member turns into mindless zombie and eats disbelieving father/neighbor/urologist + pudgy bounty hunter? How many nobody-believes-Ephraim/Abraham scenes do we need? How many reminders do we need that Palmer is dying and waiting for Ichorst to save him?

Especially in the last episode, there were so many scenes that did absolutely nothing to advance the plot.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Avasculous posted:

Especially in the last episode, there were so many scenes that did absolutely nothing to advance the plot.

Similar to the Walking Dead the show seems to do so little in the hour runtime.

Also sort of abruptly halts cool scenes such as Fett finding the vampire nest in the sewers.

etalian fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 13, 2014

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012
Anyone else notice that Abraham is way too old during the flashbacks? Is supposed to be over 90 on the show, because if so he is pretty spry.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Honestly, him looking/acting like he does and being over 90 is the most realistic and believable part about this show so :shrug:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This show is b-movie horror. I don't know if it's intentional, or just a consequence of lazy writing, but basically everything fits perfectly if you think of this as a longer version of a slasher flick where everyone is as stupid as they need to be to make sure the lumbering guy with a hatchet can kill them in a satisfying way.

Avasculous posted:

This.

It's hard to even know where to begin with the insane logic gaps the show is using to force the incompetent authorities trope in the first couple of episodes alone.

Has everyone on the show just forgotten about the huge, creepy, non-diegetic evil box disappearing mid-investigation? Or the airport official being brutally murdered 50 yards away from the investigation? Or the fact that the CDC discovered a novel pathogen on board a plane with 200 dead people?

I was enjoying the show despite this stuff for pulp entertainment, but the glacial pace is really starting to wear thin. It just seems like they're determined to waste as much screentime as possible- how many different arcs do we need for family member turns into mindless zombie and eats disbelieving father/neighbor/urologist + pudgy bounty hunter? How many nobody-believes-Ephraim/Abraham scenes do we need? How many reminders do we need that Palmer is dying and waiting for Ichorst to save him?

I actually feel like last episode picked up the pace a little bit.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Power_of_the_glory posted:

Anyone else notice that Abraham is way too old during the flashbacks? Is supposed to be over 90 on the show, because if so he is pretty spry.

The books follow anime rules for old people, where age has zero effect on a person's abilities until it's suddenly convenient for them to have problems for the sake of plot and/or dramatic tension.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sean Austin got hired just because he's always typecast as the good guy.

etalian fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 13, 2014

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

This show is b-movie horror. I don't know if it's intentional, or just a consequence of lazy writing, but basically everything fits perfectly if you think of this as a longer version of a slasher flick where everyone is as stupid as they need to be to make sure the lumbering guy with a hatchet can kill them in a satisfying way.

I think it is best to think about the show this way. I was hoping for something more intelligent when this first started. My bad. So I have just decided to take it for what it is, and sort of watch it while doing something else at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Having read the books I knew going into this that the first stretch would be the biggest problem area, and I was hoping they'd compress all of the buildup into maybe three episodes. I'm disappointed that its taken this long but this weeks episode seemed like it was kicking things off for real, so I'm willing to just start fresh from this point and enjoy the ride. I wouldn't blame anybody who has checked out by now though.

• Locked thread