Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
The Bull Nakano/Shinobu Kandori chain match is great too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Everyone knows WWF was pretty cartoony during the 80s and through most of the 90s and that WCW made waves with the nWo by being more realistic. But can you offer some examples of cartoony/campy moments from WCWs history. Please explain it in such detail that we can relive every painful moment.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

If he doesn't then he publishes a lot of things he knows are false.

I used to e-mail him corrections to his articles, things like dates he got wrong, years he got wrong, wrestlers he got wrong, stuff like that and he never corrected anything so I just stopped reading him all together. Such a shame that he's considered relevant enough to be on a major sports site as the only wrestling writer, and he does such a bad job.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Robocop saved Sting
Bischoff sold for the bird
Vampiro pouring blood from the rafters
The Shockmaster

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Luigi Thirty posted:

That was TNA.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Snacksmaniac posted:

If that's true, welp.

Middle aged southern wrestlers are almost always going to be pretty right wing. There's exceptions of course (Jim Cornette for example) but that's just not going to be a progressive lot as a general rule.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
I sat near Shoemaker at the TNA taping last week and dude was not having any fun at all.

Every Single Goon posted:

Well, he was stuck at a TNA Taping...

But really, it was way more than that. Everyone else in the section was having a great time between the semi-enjoyable matches, trolling the bad stuff, and just generally bonding over a love of professional wrestling.

It was really weird and it seemed like he felt really out of place.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Luigi Thirty posted:

Robocop saved Sting
The Shockmaster

I seem to recall that they couldn't say the it was blood, so they kept awkwardly calling it "some red...liquid" and everything but what it obviously was intended to be?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Spikeguy posted:

Everyone knows WWF was pretty cartoony during the 80s and through most of the 90s and that WCW made waves with the nWo by being more realistic. But can you offer some examples of cartoony/campy moments from WCWs history. Please explain it in such detail that we can relive every painful moment.

Dungeon of Doom was pretty drat cartoony.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It wasn't just Vampiro, the New Blood faction also had a habit of dropping blood on people from the ceiling. And even better, they never explained why the "mysterious red liquid" would incapacitate some people, but not others. And I'm still trying to find a clip of the time the blood completely missed everyone in the ring and instead landed on a bunch of fans at ringside, sending Nash into hysterics.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

There was a bird that he (or someone) sold for recently on Tuesday Nitro :colbert:

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Spikeguy posted:

Pretty much the entire time under Jim Herd.

The Ding Dongs, man, Ding Dongs! Ding Dongs, yo!

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Luigi Thirty posted:

There was a bird that he (or someone) sold for recently on Tuesday Nitro :colbert:

Stay away from me, bird!

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Justin Godscock posted:

Dungeon of Doom was pretty drat cartoony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruLQDpdQi4A

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-PfCYXPMdo

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Spikeguy posted:

The Demon, Dale Torborg. Not Kane.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
http://www.wwe.com/videos/the-masters-of-the-powerbomb-crash-sting-the-british-bulldogs-beach-party-beach-26118334

kuribo
Aug 2, 2003

Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Robocop saved Sting
The Shockmaster

Don't forget the midget on the boat. And Cactus Jack's amnesia. And the Black Scorpion.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Glacier was a walking video game character.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Having kidnapped the Disciple into the rafters via smoke teleportation, Warrior appears in Hogan's dressing room mirror

kuribo
Aug 2, 2003

Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow.

I never understood how Hogan, the commentators, and everyone watching both at home and in the arena could see Warrior... but Bischoff couldn't.

That scene woulda been way better if Warrior hadn't been in the mirror but Hogan had reacted that way anyway.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

White Castle of Fear was too beautiful for this world

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqIKoU-h-pk

:ughh:

I had this on VHS and watched it like 100 times when I was really young though and thought it was the greatest match ever.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqIKoU-h-pk

:ughh:

I had this on VHS and watched it like 100 times when I was really young though and thought it was the greatest match ever.
Seeing bloody Abdullah sitting in an electric chair, completely out of context on the cover of PWI really freaked me out as a kid.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cromulent posted:

Seeing bloody Abdullah sitting in an electric chair, completely out of context on the cover of PWI really freaked me out as a kid.
Seeing Abdullah freaks me out in any context, as an adult.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Did any titles ever change hands on Saturday Night's Main Event?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

A midget named Cheetum once blew up Sting's boat while he was playing volleyball with orphans.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

TheJoker138 posted:

A midget named Cheetum once blew up Sting's boat while he was playing volleyball with orphans.

Wrestling matters.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

ZDar Fan posted:

Did any titles ever change hands on Saturday Night's Main Event?

According to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_Night%27s_Main_Event_results

Brain Busters won the tag titles
Shawn Michaels won the IC title

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I know "It's not hot!" gets all of the love, but "THERE ARE NO HULKAMANIACS HERE!" makes me laugh just as much.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htfhbek9UdU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I knew Goldust used to do the Owen Hart thing and try and get the other guys to corpse mid-match, but oh my god that's amazing :allears:

I thought the Owen Hart thing was to corpse pre-match.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Blast Fantasto posted:

I know "It's not hot!" gets all of the love, but "THERE ARE NO HULKAMANIACS HERE!" makes me laugh just as much.

He delivers it as though someone had tricked him into thinking there were going to be Hulkamaniacs in there, and that there would be hot water, only we never got that context.

I also have to give some credit to shouting "I'VE NEVER BEEN HERE BEFORE!" as if it's a perfectly normal reaction.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

sticklefifer posted:

I also have to give some credit to shouting "I'VE NEVER BEEN HERE BEFORE!" as if it's a perfectly normal reaction.

I prefer to think that when Hulkster busts into some building that's new to him he just shouts that.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Rusty Shackelford posted:

I thought the Owen Hart thing was to corpse pre-match.

bravo

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

because he died and is dead

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

epitasis posted:

because he died and is dead

oh

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
You can't talk about cartoon-y WCW and not mention Arachnaman.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
What's the estimate for Barrett's return from now? It's been a couple months since he was injured, right? Could he feasibly be a Rumble return?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I don't think he'll be a surprise return, there's no reason to keep him off TV when he got over cutting promos with the Bad News gimmick without wrestling on TV for months anyway. He had surgery at the beginning of July and I think 5-6 months was what the expected return time was. Hopefully they keep pushing him hard when he comes back, he's great. I think he was supposed to become one of the Authority's enforcers before he got injured.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 13, 2014