Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Today I had to block sites on a user's computer because they're wasting too much time. Wasn't my choice, was just told to.

Poor guy was just talking about how cool Guardians of the Galaxy was on a message board and looking up rules for tabletop Star Wars :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

kensei posted:

I idle in #oregoons on synirc but there are a lot of channels. Someone can direct you to the correct sysadmin channel, I don't remember what it is.

#bofh on synirc

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So, UK law knowers, if I haven't signed anything in my contract aside from "wear clothes that look professional and be clean" (paraphrased of course) can my employer ask me to cut my hair on grounds of looking professional?

Note: My hair isn't particularly long, its not even shoulder length. Its fairly thick though. Just a little annoyed that he's asked me to cut it.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
If it's not in the employee handbook and it's not in your contract, don't do it.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

dogstile posted:

So, UK law knowers, if I haven't signed anything in my contract aside from "wear clothes that look professional and be clean" (paraphrased of course) can my employer ask me to cut my hair on grounds of looking professional?

Note: My hair isn't particularly long, its not even shoulder length. Its fairly thick though. Just a little annoyed that he's asked me to cut it.

Does your contact say anything about your hair or otherwise about your appearance than what you've said there? If not, then if you're wearing clothes that look professional and your hair (and the rest of you) is clean then he's out of luck.

Of course, whether you want to have an argument with your employer about it is your call, regardless of who's in the right.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

rolleyes posted:

Of course, whether you want to have an argument with your employer about it is your call, regardless of who's in the right.

Yeah, i've not decided if its worth the effort yet. I'm just wondering if I have a leg to stand on if I decide to tell him to shove it. Looks like I do, cheers for that.

(I have a cosplay that i'm growing my hair out for and i've kinda put a massive amount of resources into the costume, so cutting it is something that I don't want to do just on a whim, but at the same time hey, I want a stress free work environment).

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
I thought wigs were usually recommended for more elaborate cosplays for this reason. v:shobon:v

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Venusy posted:

I thought wigs were usually recommended for more elaborate cosplays for this reason. v:shobon:v

Wig needs something to attach to. Its a ponytail sort of thing so I was going to weave it into my hair. Like I said, my hair isn't that long, I could just about comfortably weave that into my hair where I was going to weave it.

Regardless, I just asked him directly about he mentioned it (as he went through a manager before) and he said "its in your contract and it looks dirty". I clean my hair every night, so I don't know what the hell his problem is, especially as its definitely not in the contract, as I just read it. All it says is to wear professional clothes and look presentable, so it really depends on each persons definition of it. :shrug:

E: Oh gently caress it, I have a backbone, i'll let you all know how the argument goes.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 13, 2014

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

dogstile posted:

Wig needs something to attach to. Its a ponytail sort of thing so I was going to weave it into my hair. Like I said, my hair isn't that long, I could just about comfortably weave that into my hair where I was going to weave it.

Regardless, I just asked him directly about he mentioned it (as he went through a manager before) and he said "its in your contract and it looks dirty". I clean my hair every night, so I don't know what the hell his problem is, especially as its definitely not in the contract, as I just read it. All it says is to wear professional clothes and look presentable, so it really depends on each persons definition of it. :shrug:

E: Oh gently caress it, I have a backbone, i'll let you all know how the argument goes.

I think we need a picture to completely judge how dirty your hair looks.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Pretty sure "look presentable" is going to be the nail in the coffin for you unless you really want to fight this to the end. Any kind of cut will probably do, post a pic and story in YLLS and have them help you out with the best cut to get to look professional but still being able to wear the wig properly

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

mattfl posted:

I think we need a picture to completely judge how dirty your hair looks.

I'll spoil these so anyone who doesn't want to see doesn't have to, but yeah, i'll actually post these, you all have seen what I look like anyway.

E: Apparently the tag's aren't working so you get a link.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk97/dogstilez/Mobile%20Uploads/1407934843518_zpsef332acd.jpg
and
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk97/dogstilez/Mobile%20Uploads/1407934779065_zpscc8fe400.jpg

dogstile fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 13, 2014

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

dogstile posted:

he said "its in your contract and it looks dirty". I clean my hair every night, so I don't know what the hell his problem is, especially as its definitely not in the contract

As others have said, it's up to you whether you want to argue with your boss over this. Taking your word on the contract...

I would react to the situation by saying to him that I am disappointed that he lied to me about what my contract said on the matter (this is an implicit threat, use with caution, but if you use it imply that he deliberately lied, don't suggest it was an honest mistake, this is golden leverage), and that he has no authority to dictate how I wear my hair, and then continue to grow it out.

I'm generally of the opinion that my boss gets to dictate what I do within work hours within reason, has zero say over things outside work hours no exceptions, and has to pay extra for crossover things unless they affect the business more then they affect me. If he kept complaining I would politely inform him that the price of controlling my hairstyle is a $4000 raise.

edit: and that hair seems fine, if a bit tangled, although it's hard to tell from pictures.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

dogstile posted:

I'll spoil these so anyone who doesn't want to see doesn't have to, but yeah, i'll actually post these, you all have seen what I look like anyway.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk97/dogstilez/Mobile%20Uploads/1407934843518_zpsef332acd.jpg
and
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk97/dogstilez/Mobile%20Uploads/1407934779065_zpscc8fe400.jpg

Cut your hair, trim the beard, and go as Oberyn Martell.

I guarantee you Oberyn is cooler than whoever you were going to cosplay as anyway.

But for real, given the past issues you've had with this guy and the recent "promotion" you got, I would think hard about whether this is the hill you really want to die on.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Inspector_666 posted:

Cut your hair, trim the beard, and go as Oberyn Martell.

I guarantee you Oberyn is cooler than whoever you were going to cosplay as anyway.

But for real, given the past issues you've had with this guy and the recent "promotion" you got, I would think hard about whether this is the hill you really want to die on.

All of these things. Also, I think the hair looks fine, but go to a barber/stylist to trim your beard/hair. Take pictures of the barber giving a thumbs up or something.

Also, http://youtu.be/oi_5lXIT5AY

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I'd say it is teetering on the line of 'presentatable'.

Probably, if it came an employment tribunal, they'd side with you but

Inspector_666 posted:

I'd suggest making an effort to show that you are making an effort. Get it styled or gel the crap out of it or put it in rollers.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

dogstile posted:

and

:confused: Your hair looks totally fine to me.

I hope you are in the process of trying to :yotj: because it sounds like you need to.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Oh look, there's the "why didn't you read my mind" rant, though this time it wasn't made to my face, it was made to my boss. Cheers for that. *stamps the bingo card*

New start turns up yesterday for photo and ID card. Usual warning of "none whatsoever", just "here's a new person, please have his card ready by this afternoon", yes maam, thank you maam, etc. Someone then decides to start a massive shitstorm because today he doesn't have a computer account yet.

Try telling me he needs one? I mean... I did say to my colleague (who manages the IT department and usually delegates these things as required) "doesn't this guy need a computer, phone, user account? Or because he's a remote worker aren't we bothering?" and he just kinda shrugged and continued with something else. Hang on... engaging mind reading mode.

===

Liking the "why did it crash" ideas, not sure on the car analogy until we get more autonomous vehicles as people don't usually expect cars to drive themselves but they expect PCs to operate themselves.

Super Slash posted:

Even worse when it comes to CRM's, you get the odd bitchy comment about "Why are we even using this piece of poo poo" but then is generally followed up with "The last place I worked at had a way better system where everything worked!".

Quite familiar with that one, usually comparing our saleslogix to their old place's salesforce. They shut up when asked where we can get the £12k from for the license (or whatever the cost is, this was the cost of slx like 10 years ago) and how it'll go with the time and monetary costs of retraining.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Volmarias posted:

Also, I think the hair looks fine, but go to a barber/stylist to trim your beard/hair.

Yeah, to be honest, it's the facial hair that makes the appearance lean towards untidy rather than the hair.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The worst version of "Why are we even using this?!" is when the client unilaterally decided to use it and is running up against something that the software either can't do or needs to be modified specifically to do.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I am sure a lot of you can appreciate this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKZUFu97vus

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, to be honest, it's the facial hair that makes the appearance lean towards untidy rather than the hair.

If anything, I could understand him going towards that, but i'm sat next to a guy with a way bushier beard than me that he's grown out while working here. He's not had anything said to him.

Sirotan posted:

:confused: Your hair looks totally fine to me.

I hope you are in the process of trying to :yotj: because it sounds like you need to.

Trust me, i'm trying to get the hell out. This place has phases of treating you nicely then insults and beats you down over the tiniest things. I only stay here because my co-workers are pretty cool.

Anyway, thanks for all the input. I used it all in my responses and he's backed down. Only thing I didn't have to do was quote my contract, which i'm happy for. I don't want to give this bellend the impression that he can walk over me like he does to others. I'm out of this place for a couple weeks and going on holiday after today for a couple of weeks, so hopefully by the time I get back he'll cool it on that front.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Client chat: Who is worse, doctors or lawyers? We're currently supporting the former (pain in the rear end) and will soon be also supporting a firm of the latter.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

dogstile posted:

Trust me, i'm trying to get the hell out. This place has phases of treating you nicely then insults and beats you down over the tiniest things.

Much like an abusive husband or wife. Seriously, :yotj: outta there ASAP.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
While it's far from the point where I would actually say something about it to an IT staffer, your hair does look like you haven't had it cut in a year. Not dirty or anything, but really a stylist should be able to make it look "neater" without removing a ton of length.

That said, I'd say fight it on principle.

and ffs, lose that beard.

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 13, 2014

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Manslaughter posted:

Client chat: Who is worse, doctors or lawyers? We're currently supporting the former (pain in the rear end) and will soon be also supporting a firm of the latter.

Flip a coin.

I work for lawyers and they won't do anything IT-related until they absolutely have to.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Manslaughter posted:

Lawyers working for the healthcare profession.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

dogstile posted:

If anything, I could understand him going towards that, but i'm sat next to a guy with a way bushier beard than me that he's grown out while working here. He's not had anything said to him.

Trust me, i'm trying to get the hell out. This place has phases of treating you nicely then insults and beats you down over the tiniest things. I only stay here because my co-workers are pretty cool.

Anyway, thanks for all the input. I used it all in my responses and he's backed down. Only thing I didn't have to do was quote my contract, which i'm happy for. I don't want to give this bellend the impression that he can walk over me like he does to others. I'm out of this place for a couple weeks and going on holiday after today for a couple of weeks, so hopefully by the time I get back he'll cool it on that front.

Was it you that had the boss that had a problem with people smoking? Like, on their own time, nothing to do with work smoking?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

rolleyes posted:

Lawyers working for the healthcare profession.

You monster.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Fil5000 posted:

Was it you that had the boss that had a problem with people smoking? Like, on their own time, nothing to do with work smoking?

Have you ever known a smoker that doesn't smoke while at work? The perfect world scenario of smokers keeping to their approved smoking area, not making a mess, and then not smelling like smoke afterwards is pretty slim to none.

Still doesn't excuse being a dick though.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Sickening posted:

Have you ever known a smoker that doesn't smoke while at work? The perfect world scenario of smokers keeping to their approved smoking area, not making a mess, and then not smelling like smoke afterwards is pretty slim to none.

Still doesn't excuse being a dick though.

Oh yeah, I'm not claiming that smokers never ever smoke on work time, just I remember someone with a boss who was prone to sacking people if he found out they smoked, regardless of whether or not it impinged on work time.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

dogstile posted:

Not to be too blunt, but it doesn't look bushy. It looks scraggly, and you'd look better in every way if you trimmed it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Sickening posted:

I am sure a lot of you can appreciate this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKZUFu97vus

That's a work of beauty. And as someone planning on purchasing an older house within the next 6 months or so, I can't wait to see those kind of jobs while out shopping.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Client: We've verified just the power switch on the device is bad. It can only be brutally shut down by pulling power and we don't want to do that.
Coworker: *validates the client's troubleshooting, it's clearly a physical issue* No problem, we'll move this case to warranty service.
10 minutes later-
Warranty Svc: We have transferred this case back to you, it needs more troubleshooting.
Coworker, bewildered, forwards case to leads, stating troubleshooting has been done.
Lead, after transferring case back to coworker: Transfer this ticket to someone in (coworker's location), this product needs to be troubleshot by their team.

Coworker is currently having a cigarette and contemplating how to not respond to the lead with all the profound amounts of vulgarity welling in her imagination.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Asking for help with basic questions about the mainline kernel is like pulling rabid hens teeth.

Asking about page tables and how they are stored in IRC nets you a bunch of WHY ARE YOU ASKING ABOUT THIS? WHAT ARE YOU DOING? YOU DON'T NEED TO DO THAT! Repeat that every single loving time you ask anything about the kernel ever.

I understand that there are a shitload of morons out there who want to play hacker with the kernel, but ffs; I am asking about low level memory management, poo poo that a regular script kiddy wouldn't come near with a 100 foot poll.

TLDR: Mainline kernel devs are what pisses me off.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Fil5000 posted:

Oh yeah, I'm not claiming that smokers never ever smoke on work time, just I remember someone with a boss who was prone to sacking people if he found out they smoked, regardless of whether or not it impinged on work time.

I am that guy with that boss, yes. I'm fairly sure i've mentioned a fair few things about my time here that's a bit :stare:

Off the top of my head, the things I remember mentioning are:

The sacking smokers on the spot thing
Regular tantrums
Throwing equipment at a worker (that happened a few months before I was hired)
Insulting his staff

Yeah, i'd be out if I had literally any other job in IT. I had an offer for a place that paid the same but my girlfriend is adamant that I don't let one crappy boss ruin my career choice for me.

evol262 posted:

Not to be too blunt, but it doesn't look bushy. It looks scraggly, and you'd look better in every way if you trimmed it.

It's fine, I know the beard is a bit awful at this point. The idea was to actually let it grow out past a "scraggly" stage. I don't know anyone who can grow a beard without it being scraggly at some point. If its still scraggly in a couple of months from now (way before I'm scheduled to see a client face to face), i'll let it go back to stubble, but he doesn't care about the beard for now so i'm leaving it.

Either way, I finished my shift, i'm on holiday for a couple weeks, he's backed down. I'm probably going to disappear for a couple weeks. Again, thanks thread, today would probably have ended far worse without you all.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

dogstile posted:

It's fine, I know the beard is a bit awful at this point. The idea was to actually let it grow out past a "scraggly" stage. I don't know anyone who can grow a beard without it being scraggly at some point. If its still scraggly in a couple of months from now (way before I'm scheduled to see a client face to face), i'll let it go back to stubble, but he doesn't care about the beard for now so i'm leaving it.

I mean, yeah, that's possible. But if your hair grows out at an uneven rate (mine does), you can keep it looking ok by keeping that poo poo trimmed until it fills in at a shorter length, then adjusting your trimmer and letting it fill in a little longer, etc.

Also consider that not everyone looks good with a beard.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

evol262 posted:

I mean, yeah, that's possible. But if your hair grows out at an uneven rate (mine does), you can keep it looking ok by keeping that poo poo trimmed until it fills in at a shorter length, then adjusting your trimmer and letting it fill in a little longer, etc.

Also consider that not everyone looks good with a beard.

For sure, I sport a beard because I got lazy one week and let it grow out and then MY WIFE liked it.
Beards are more work than having no beard if you want them to look decent. You can't just leave them alone, they are constant maintenance.

Get a beard trimmer, get it all evened out, cut your hair, and you will look fine. You are borderline a stereotype right now.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
What part of "I would prefer to keep communication to ticket updates and email" is so loving hard to understand, Digium support guy who left a totally incomprehensible voicemail in response to my ticket update?

I understand sales reps doing this poo poo because they want to build a rapport, but I don't get it when tech support reps do this. I contacted you via email for a reason.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Fortis posted:

What part of "I would prefer to keep communication to ticket updates and email" is so loving hard to understand, Digium support guy who left a totally incomprehensible voicemail in response to my ticket update?

I understand sales reps doing this poo poo because they want to build a rapport, but I don't get it when tech support reps do this. I contacted you via email for a reason.

Is he a non-native english speaker because I've witnessed people who prefer to talk on the phone because their written english sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
What the hell Comcast Business Support?! I call in about a DNS issue with one of our static IP's- if you nslookup the IP, it's listed as companyxyz.com (not our company). The techs solution? "Oh I'll just check your modems DNS servers. No, those look good- Wait, what's your default gateway? This looks wrong. Let me fix that." Before I could even stop the tech, the modem reset. Kicking 50 people and 5 servers offline. The tech had changed our default gateway to the above mentioned static IP. After telling her what she did wrong and politely asking her to change it back- I'm put on hold for five minutes. Thankfully the modem again reset to the correct settings. When she came back on, I asked to be transferred to another tech or escalated to a tier 2 tech- shortly after I was hung up on. Ugggggg. Thankfully the next tech understood what I was asking and setup a call with a tier 2 tech to resolve the issue.