Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

beefy miracle :heysexy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

baiting nbsd so hard a trapper covets

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
memfd syscalls getting merged, kernel secure rng syscalls also getting merged

(a memfd is a chunk of shared memory with an fd attached to it, as the name implies. the fd lets you pass the shm around more neatly using IPC. it can also be "sealed" to irreversibly make it read-only, which is useful when your're using this mechanism for IPC with an untrusted process)

so much for ~*everything is a file*~ (except when it is nothing like a file and just gets awkwardly crowbarred into the metaphor with implied semantics everywhere). perhaps one day we can get rid of /proc and /sys too and kill this garbage for good (/dev is never ever going away)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
please let me make an effortpost about "everything is a file", i have so much to say about this subject

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
A file is a really cool data structure: a stream of continuous bytes, of variable size. Files are stored in filesystems, which have a hierarchical directory structure. It beats the crap out of the days when you had to statically allocate records of data and keep track of that, because there was no "filesystem" layer providing some virtual mapping between your storage medium and the locations of files.

This was why "Everything Is Just A File" became a meme and a big selling point: it took the programmers at the time a long time to adjust to the reality that they didn't need to be concerned with the storage medium, the layout of it, "records" or anything like that.

The unfortunate part is that a "a stream of continuous bytes, of variable size" is not a data structure that is suitable for everything. A quite large amount of things. But it shouldn't be discounted forever.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Suspicious Dish posted:

A file is a really cool data structure: a stream of continuous bytes, of variable size. Files are stored in filesystems, which have a hierarchical directory structure. It beats the crap out of the days when you had to statically allocate records of data and keep track of that, because there was no "filesystem" layer providing some virtual mapping between your storage medium and the locations of files.

This was why "Everything Is Just A File" became a meme and a big selling point: it took the programmers at the time a long time to adjust to the reality that they didn't need to be concerned with the storage medium, the layout of it, "records" or anything like that.

The unfortunate part is that a "a stream of continuous bytes, of variable size" is not a data structure that is suitable for everything. A quite large amount of things. But it shouldn't be discounted forever.

well, they are streams of bytes that appear to be continuous, i mean sparse files are pretty great for certain things

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

it turns out bytestreams are pretty universal

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

the filesystem metaphor, not really

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

but it fits in many places and is not a bad thing

/proc is ok honestly, the alternative is a bunch of kernel syscalls and that's just awful given that C has no namespaces

so using the filesystem as a namespacing thing is probably all its good for

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

memfd syscalls getting merged, kernel secure rng syscalls also getting merged

(a memfd is a chunk of shared memory with an fd attached to it, as the name implies. the fd lets you pass the shm around more neatly using IPC. it can also be "sealed" to irreversibly make it read-only, which is useful when your're using this mechanism for IPC with an untrusted process)

so much for ~*everything is a file*~ (except when it is nothing like a file and just gets awkwardly crowbarred into the metaphor with implied semantics everywhere). perhaps one day we can get rid of /proc and /sys too and kill this garbage for good (/dev is never ever going away)

perhaps u would like WinNT,mr dog, it decided to go the way of constructing APIs for everything

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yes, and good APIs make great systems. I would much prefer a struct and syscall API over a kludge code that parses /proc/meminfo. I would love it if there was a way to programmatically add a user to a system besides forking out to useradd (adduser on Debian, because Debian policy dictates you need to use this Debian script that doesn't exist on any other system).

/proc and /proc/sys are a mix of system information designed for admins, APIs for developers, and configurable settings, with no thought put towards organizing or separating it. If you aren't careful, you can easily end up in the bad part of town and mess with something you shouldn't have.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Malcolm XML posted:

it turns out bytestreams are pretty universal

So universal that we bypass them entirely for device nodes and use a side-channel called "ioctl"s instead!

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

So universal that we bypass them entirely for device nodes and use a side-channel called "ioctl"s instead!

yeah and it sucks. ioctls are awful

sure i want a loosely typed api that i can easily gently caress up over writing bits to various pseudo-files, sure thats a great idea.

it;s a dumping ground for various crap

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yes, and good APIs make great systems. I would much prefer a struct and syscall API over a kludge code that parses /proc/meminfo. I would love it if there was a way to programmatically add a user to a system besides forking out to useradd (adduser on Debian, because Debian policy dictates you need to use this Debian script that doesn't exist on any other system).

/proc and /proc/sys are a mix of system information designed for admins, APIs for developers, and configurable settings, with no thought put towards organizing or separating it. If you aren't careful, you can easily end up in the bad part of town and mess with something you shouldn't have.

this is orthogonal to pseudo file systems being the interface, honestly: it's very easy to write an awful ioctl api

like the whole poo poo with "rest-y" api's: it's bad but the alternative is worse

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Progressive JPEG posted:

oh and lts releases

see more like this, where theres a release for adults every so often:

as has been discussed like five times in this thread, the ubuntu lts releases only "support" the canonical core. i.e. not any of the packages you actually installed ubuntu to get.

as soon as you enable universe/multiverse your ubuntu box is an unmaintainable shitshow, defeating the purpose of the lts release.

Progressive JPEG posted:

not this where its entirely ocd childe tier:

rhel is close but the releases for adults should still have 3rd party support for occasional non-ancient pkgs via a ppa-style system

rhel has "software collections," where you get a bunch of non-ancient packages installed into /opt. some are 1st party and fully supported by red hat. all the important languages are available as 1st party software collections, supported by red hat.

the problem is that even the 1st party SCLs are only supported for a short period. i want to say two years? i forget. your base OS might have a ten year lifecycle but that doesn't help very much if you have to upgrade your python runtime and libraries every two years.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 12, 2014

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
oh yeah here is the actual list of stuff red hat will support for you

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Software_Collections/1/html-single/1.1_Release_Notes/index.html#tabl-RHSCL-Components

perl516 (Perl 5.16.3)
php54 (PHP 5.4.16)
php55 (PHP 5.5.6)
python27 (Python 2.7.5)
python33 (Python 3.3.2)
ruby193 (Ruby 1.9.3 [a])
ruby200 (Ruby 2.0.0)
ror40 (Ruby on Rails 4.0.2[a])
mariadb55 (MariaDB 5.5.37)
mongodb24 (MongoDB 2.4.9 [b])
mysql55 (MySQL 5.5.37)
postgresql92 (PostgreSQL 9.2.8)
nodejs010 (Node.js 0.10[b] [c])
nginx14 (nginx 1.4.4 [d])
httpd24 (Apache httpd 2.4.6)
thermostat1 (Thermostat 1)

it still ain't exactly debian sid for breadth of availability, but most of the major things that would be a pain in your rear end going to prod are here: python 3, python 2.7, ruby 2.x, recent databases

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Malcolm XML posted:

sure i want a loosely typed api that i can easily gently caress up over writing bits to various pseudo-files, sure thats a great idea.

it;s a dumping ground for various crap

Yes, as I said in the last post, I hate streams of bytes APIs and /proc too.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yes, as I said in the last post, I hate streams of bytes APIs and /proc too.

we are at an impasse

personally open/write/close is nicer than open/ioctl(fd,MAGIC_NUMBER_LOL,data)/close and friends

but i guess if u rly hate urself.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Progressive JPEG posted:

oh and lts releases

see more like this, where theres a release for adults every so often:

not this where its entirely ocd childe tier:

rhel is close but the releases for adults should still have 3rd party support for occasional non-ancient pkgs via a ppa-style system

now do 1 for windows

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Malcolm XML posted:

we are at an impasse

personally open/write/close is nicer than open/ioctl(fd,MAGIC_NUMBER_LOL,data)/close and friends

but i guess if u rly hate urself.

hint: there is no difference between passing a struct to write and passing a struct ioctl

well, except for how you can do multiple partial writes. except when you can't.

ii oh el
Jan 9, 2007

Bloody posted:

now do 1 for windows

best i can steal:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bloody posted:

now do 1 for windows

windows, like rhel and solaris, is supported for ten years

it would just look like a rainbow flag because the bars would be so long

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

only ten? i bet you can still buy support contracts for 3.1

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bloody posted:

only ten? i bet you can still buy support contracts for 3.1

with the major vendors you're guaranteed to get ten-ish years right off the top on the standard pricing. if you want to ask them extra nice to do more, they will

i'd bet you can still buy solaris 2.6 patches from oracle if you have deep enough pockets.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
wikipedia had a chart of sun's support policies from back in the day so i'm gonna repost that here

you can definitely see when microsoft and red hat started offering long term support, because solaris 8 / 9 get crazy long lifecycles compared to their predecessors

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ii oh el posted:

best i can steal:

why would you have a product where the name is abbreviated as "wince"?

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
So I installed the Suse Linux on my computer. I use Gnome. KDE is faster but looks like cluttered poo poo.

Pro:
- Looks okay once you edit the fonts and reactivate the window buttons
- usability is okay
- installed my computing and editor stuff very quickly
- relatively stable
- two finger scrolling works perfectly out of the box

Contra:
- Can not play mp3s or mkvs - LOL. Finding and installing codecs features in the media players does not work. Installing external codec bundle only works for two of the seven or so media players I installed. Welcome to 1990
- Once you pull the bluetooth bundle (audio) and plug it back in, you have to restart the machine to make bluetooth work again. Holy moly
- some piece of poo poo programs randomly do not work and require a parallel "make" type install because they refuse to work with this or that default package. Like if you have the audacity to set python3 as default then half the poo poo doesn't work anymore. Good!
- Gnome is actually really terrible if you think about it, why do I have to click on "Activities" and get this slow rear end poo poo menu to switch to any programs. And then you have this concept of using different "screens", but alt-tab doesn't integrate in this at all. Great!
- Gnome is much slower than KDE, when the gently caress did this happen?
- Scrolling in the activities menu is by default unusable because it scrolls three times as fast as any other scrolling in Gnome. I mean it's just an integral part of the UI, why bother making it work, right?
- The poo poo you need to go through to add an icon to the activities menu shows that Linux will never be a desktop OS. Well you can install this app of course, but out of the box it's either "don't do it" or "try a lot of console poo poo"
- The login screen crashes often
- Lol if you try to mount a Windows 8 hard drive, because you can only do it read only, the onboard tools of Gnome will of course just fail without comment, as is customary
- Double clicking on a file in the file manager to open a program works half of the time, often just nothing happens
- By default the standard programs like the video player, music player or viewers are able to display exactly zero percent of my files because they are not encoded in some bespoke free-sofrtware format from ten years ago that nobody ever used
- The packages offered by Suse do not include most good programs one would actually use, making this poo poo essentially useless, since you are make-installing half of the things anyway
- The pdf viewer is the biggest sack of poo poo
- Who the gently caress uses a dedicated lovely mail program and why is it integrated in every single thing
Edit: - And it's actually slower than Win8 ?!?!

Yeah overall A+ performance guys, I have no idea why people prefer to use the Apple or the Windows. No idea.

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 13, 2014

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Boner Slam posted:

So I installed the Suse Linux on my computer. I use Gnome. KDE is faster but looks like cluttered poo poo.

Pro:
- Looks okay once you edit the fonts and reactivate the window buttons
- usability is okay
- installed my computing and editor stuff very quickly
- relatively stable
- two finger scrolling works perfectly out of the box

Contra:
- Can not play mp3s or mkvs - LOL. Finding and installing codecs features in the media players does not work. Installing external codec bundle only works for two of the seven or so media players I installed. Welcome to 1990
- Once you pull the bluetooth bundle (audio) and plug it back in, you have to restart the machine to make bluetooth work again. Holy moly
- some piece of poo poo programs randomly do not work and require a parallel "make" type install because they refuse to work with this or that default package. Like if you have the audacity to set python3 as default then half the poo poo doesn't work anymore. Good!
- Gnome is actually really terrible if you think about it, why do I have to click on "Activities" and get this slow rear end poo poo menu to switch to any programs. And then you have this concept of using different "screens", but alt-tab doesn't integrate in this at all. Great!
- Scrolling in the activities menu is by default unusable because it scrolls three times as fast as any other scrolling in Gnome. I mean it's just an integral part of the UI, why bother making it work, right?
- The poo poo you need to go through to add an icon to the activities menu shows that Linux will never be a desktop OS. Well you can install this app of course, but out of the box it's either "don't do it" or "try a lot of console poo poo"
- Lol if you try to mount a Windows 8 hard drive, because you can only do it read only, the onboard tools of Gnome will of course just fail without comment, as is customary
- Double clicking on a file in the file manager to open a program works half of the time, often just nothing happens
- By default the standard programs like the video player, music player or viewers are able to display exactly zero percent of my files because they are not encoded in some bespoke free-sofrtware format from ten years ago that nobody ever used
- The packages offered by Suse do not include most good programs one would actually use, making this poo poo essentially useless, since you are make-installing half of the things anyway
- Who the gently caress uses a dedicated lovely mail program and why is it integrated in every single thing
Edit: - And it's actually slower than Win8 ?!?!

Yeah overall A+ performance guys, I have no idea why people prefer to use the Apple or the Windows. No idea.

source ur quotes

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

wikipedia had a chart of sun's support policies from back in the day so i'm gonna repost that here

you can definitely see when microsoft and red hat started offering long term support, because solaris 8 / 9 get crazy long lifecycles compared to their predecessors

Find one for Java, Oracle still support pretty much all versions at premium.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Boner Slam posted:

Most codecs are patent-encumbered, and SuSE doesn't license them to ship them out of the box, and they consider it a legal risk to ship them as packages. This is something I desperately want to fix, but legal refused. This is one of the reasons I'm leaving Red Hat: an inability to fix broken poo poo like this.

Boner Slam posted:

What is your hardware? I just hotplugged a bluetooth USB dongle over here fine. Is there anything in the journal? Do it, make it fail, and then run journalctl -b -e.

Boner Slam posted:

What's your GPU, and what monitor sizes are you outputting to? We're always looking at performance, but need to know what equipment to test with.

Boner Slam posted:

I don't like the paging either. I don't work on that part of the UI, though.

Boner Slam posted:

Software is how you install apps.

Boner Slam posted:

This is something I broke, sorry. If it's any consolation, I fixed it in the latest stable release. What is SuSE shipping with?

Boner Slam posted:

Works for me here. Anything in the journal?

Boner Slam posted:

Again, works for me here. Anything in the journal?

Boner Slam posted:

Welcome to Linux packaging: your community is built up of volunteers that could be doing stuff automated by a robot, so you don't get all the packages in the world and they're slow at updating. And you can't replace them with a robot, because then you'd have no community.

Boner Slam posted:

:agree:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Boner Slam posted:

lol suse and gnome

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
also lol at choosing a desktop environment based on how the initial screen looks, then complaining that your choice sucks

gee i wonder why you didn't get the best outcome

pagoe
Feb 19, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

also lol at choosing a desktop environment based on how the initial screen looks, then complaining that your choice sucks

gee i wonder why you didn't get the best outcome

because linux is trash?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Suspicious Dish posted:

Most codecs are patent-encumbered, and SuSE doesn't license them to ship them out of the box, and they consider it a legal risk to ship them as packages. This is something I desperately want to fix, but legal refused. This is one of the reasons I'm leaving Red Hat: an inability to fix broken poo poo like this.
This is something Ubuntu does right. "Click here if you are not American wink wink nudge nudge"

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009

Boner Slam posted:

Suse Linux

found your problem

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i'm just going to leave this here for suspicious dish

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

wish itd eat alsa

and cups

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Yes, we're consolidating all the things that start a bunch of process (init, cron, at, dbus, udev, gnome-session) into one system with one codebase. Because doing it right once is a lot easier than doing it wrong 6 times over.

It did not eat login, ACPI (how could it?), PAM (though I wish it would), audit, cryptsetup, getty, or cgroups.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I mean, if you want systemd conspiracy, why not try today's LKML? https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/8/12/459

Starts off with a beautiful "We are INTJ" piece, contains the quote "init was simple and robust", and then ends with a call to arms:

quote:

Gnome. The Linux Foundation. freedesktop.org, and others. These are all
groups with agendas. These are not those who believe in freedom. They
believe in control and standardization. They believe in sameness. Who
are these people anyway?

The Linux Foundation? Who are these people anyway? What are their agendas? It's impossible to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i like systemd, but the linux ecosystem has gone all-in on systemd at a very early stage, and if it all goes tits up then it will inflict grievous harm on linux's credibility as a platform for doing any sort of serious work on. both gnome and kde have also screwed the pooch repeatedly, to the extent that cadt was coined to describe this clusterfuck and it continues to be a problem. pulseaudio also caused a lot of harm, irrespective of the fact that it was ubuntu that hosed everything up.

source: mr dog