Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just release MGS:V PC already. Cut it into as many chunks you want at whatever price you want, I'll pay it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

homo punching bag posted:

Just release MGS:V PC already. Cut it into as many chunks you want at whatever price you want, I'll pay it.

I'm not sure if you're serious
http://store.steampowered.com/app/287700/

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Xtanstic posted:

Man I wish they release the old MGS games on PC. I haven't played one since MGS2 and would love to play through Snake Eater and MGS4 despite/because of all the hokey Kojima story.

MGS3 actually has a pretty good, silly story. It's basically a James Bond film but dumber and with more giant robots and bisexual sadomasochistic lightning men. MGS4 is one of the dumbest games in the series and only really notable for the fact that it led to the creation of Metal Gear Rising.

Peace Walker is actually one of the more interesting games in the franchise, but it was a PSP exclusive so nobody played it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I don't have Steam installed here so I just see a page about the game w/no "BUY NOW" button. Is it available today, or are they taking money and releasing it later?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

homo punching bag posted:

I don't have Steam installed here so I just see a page about the game w/no "BUY NOW" button. Is it available today, or are they taking money and releasing it later?

Neither. Game's not done yet. On PC or console.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Lance Streetman posted:

Peace Walker is actually one of the more interesting games in the franchise, but it was a PSP exclusive so nobody played it.

It got an HD remake on PS3 (and maybe 360?). It still looked a bit rough in places, but it played so much better with a proper gamepad and running at 60fps.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think the entire HD collection was released on 360. I'm not surprised to see MGS5 on PC, but it is pretty cool all the same.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It would be seriously awesome if they release the HD collection as well but I get the feeling that Konami is already unsure about MGSV, and they probably don't want to go all-in on the PC all at once.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Dominic White posted:

It got an HD remake on PS3 (and maybe 360?). It still looked a bit rough in places, but it played so much better with a proper gamepad and running at 60fps.

Pretty sure most people still didn't play it, even then. Also most people went into Ground Zeroes very confused because it references the real ending of Peace Walker, which very few people actually bothered to get. Even among those who originally played it.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It would be seriously awesome if they release the HD collection as well but I get the feeling that Konami is already unsure about MGSV, and they probably don't want to go all-in on the PC all at once.

The only reason we're getting MGSV on PC is because the FOX engine was built with PC in mind.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Dominic White posted:

By default, the game uses Supersampling as its anti-aliasing solution of choice. What it's effectively doing is rendering the entire image at double resolution, then scaling down to your monitor. This, understandably, is a goddamn enormous resource hog.

Turn off Supersampling (SSAA) and maybe PhysX stuff and it should run great.

I swapped out Supersampling for the post-processing SMAA anti-aliasing that comes with SweetFX. Almost no performance cost, and splats most of the jagged edges.

SSAA was actually off already. I played a little more and it's so bad that when I click LMB, I don't actually shoot for 2 or 3 seconds. I don't even know.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Neither. Game's not done yet. On PC or console.

Life is hard

Mushball
May 23, 2012
MGS5 being on steam is like an early christmas miracle. All they need to do next is port the PS3 legacy collection and I'll never have to mess around with consoles again if I want to play the MGS games. With MGS5 comes MGO3 as well so CQCing people from cardboard boxes online is something to get hype over as well.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Plus, who knows if the engines besides MGS2 (already on PC) are easy enough to be worth the port. Still, glad I have no reason to get a PS4 again.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Also people excited for MGSV should temper their excitement because there is virtually no way that The Phantom Pain gets a simultaneous launch with consoles. Expect it several months later, bare minimum.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Anonymous Robot posted:

SSAA was actually off already. I played a little more and it's so bad that when I click LMB, I don't actually shoot for 2 or 3 seconds. I don't even know.

If you don't have an Nvidia card, disable PhysX

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I really hope MSG:V sells well enough to warrant porting the HD Collection over to Steam. That would easily push me toward buying / playing them all.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Also people excited for MGSV should temper their excitement because there is virtually no way that The Phantom Pain gets a simultaneous launch with consoles. Expect it several months later, bare minimum.

It's not like half of the people excited for it won't wait for it to be on sale for $10 anyway.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lance Streetman posted:

Pretty sure most people still didn't play it, even then. Also most people went into Ground Zeroes very confused because it references the real ending of Peace Walker, which very few people actually bothered to get. Even among those who originally played it.

The only reason we're getting MGSV on PC is because the FOX engine was built with PC in mind.

Yeah, I know the engine isn't suited for PC, but that doesn't make the port impossible or even unprofitable.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chin up dude I had no idea MGSV was coming to PC until just now and I'm so fuckin pumped

Waiting is no big deal I didn't even play 4 until a year ago when I bought a fatty ps3.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
It's a no-buy for me unless it comes with Steam card(board boxes).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I wouldn't be surprised to see the MGS HD Collection on PC at some point but yeah, probably not before MGS5.

Edit: Or depending on how much Konami cares about what people think of CANON a slim possibility of same time/before since MGS5 does build off of Peace Walker somewhat.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I hope Silent Hill 9 is going to get a PC port too. That's Fox Engine as well, right?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dominic White posted:

By default, the game uses Supersampling as its anti-aliasing solution of choice. What it's effectively doing is rendering the entire image at double resolution, then scaling down to your monitor. This, understandably, is a goddamn enormous resource hog.

Turn off Supersampling (SSAA) and maybe PhysX stuff and it should run great.

I swapped out Supersampling for the post-processing SMAA anti-aliasing that comes with SweetFX. Almost no performance cost, and splats most of the jagged edges.

Also: their DX11 implementation was the very first commercially available and sucks massive amounts of rear end, and god rays/dynamic lighting are also super poorly implemented. In order, you should turn off DX11, dynamic lighting, AA, shadows and then PhysX (from most resource-intensive to least). PhysX should be off anyway if you don't have an nVidia card.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Mr E posted:

Plus, who knows if the engines besides MGS2 (already on PC) are easy enough to be worth the port. Still, glad I have no reason to get a PS4 again.

MGS 3 is just an updated MGS 2 engine isn't it? Should be doable.
It's MGS 4 that will be the problem since the only reason it's not on 360 is because the engine used is a piece of poo poo held together by duct tape and bubblegum and it barely works on the PS3 as it is. So they'd need to remake MGS 4 for it to be on any other console besides PS3.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Ragequit posted:

It's a no-buy for me unless it comes with Steam card(board boxes).

It does! Also apparently the PS4/Xbone head boxes, but those are probably only on those platforms??

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mr E posted:

There's still Bloodborne and The Last of Us, had you not played it on PS3.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

The guidelines for full control support tend to mean you can launch the game without hitting a launcher and can use the controller without configuration. Partial is for cases where there is controller support but you have to enable it. It's a useful identifier for Big Picture Mode, but it's a bit patchy across games iirc.

Example of a game that doesn't give a poo poo and probably puts full controller support icon so they sell more games: Unepic (literally the very first screen of the game requires keyboard input)

Example of a game that takes their obligations seriously: Ys Origin (the only time you ever need mouse/keyboard is if you want to change the config options prior to launching the game, this game is listed as partial controller support but is really full controller support)

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

There's still Bloodborne and The Last of Us, had you not played it on PS3.

Oh gently caress I forgot about Bloodborne.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Also: their DX11 implementation was the very first commercially available and sucks massive amounts of rear end, and god rays/dynamic lighting are also super poorly implemented. In order, you should turn off DX11, dynamic lighting, AA, shadows and then PhysX (from most resource-intensive to least). PhysX should be off anyway if you don't have an nVidia card.

Is there a config hidden somewhere, or something? The in-game video settings are extremely basic, with no advanced tab that I can see. Resolution, "quality", SSAA, and Vsync yes/no.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Robot posted:

Is there a config hidden somewhere, or something? The in-game video settings are extremely basic, with no advanced tab that I can see. Resolution, "quality", SSAA, and Vsync yes/no.

Update your drivers and make sure you aren't running too many un-necessary processes in the background/on startup. It would probably help if you told us what kind of hardware/os you're running, too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Metal Gear on PC is excellent news, just excellent. If they released the previous ones on PC that would be fantastic too, as I never got to play anything beyond 2.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Did you at least play the best version of 2??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzh7vEaazBM

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I've been using that auto idler to hit up the 251 games I hadn't managed to idle for cards in, but now when I try to sell my hard earned e-trading cards I get this message that says I must add funds to my steam wallet and blah blah. This just started happening as I've had no problem selling cards in the past and have also added funds to my steam wallet what is this about?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Yodzilla posted:

Did you at least play the best version of 2??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzh7vEaazBM

Was... was this actually made by Neversoft? These look exactly like THPS animations :psyduck:

e: wikipedia says it was based on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_Skateboarding so I guess not. loving weird

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Reason posted:

I've been using that auto idler to hit up the 251 games I hadn't managed to idle for cards in, but now when I try to sell my hard earned e-trading cards I get this message that says I must add funds to my steam wallet and blah blah. This just started happening as I've had no problem selling cards in the past and have also added funds to my steam wallet what is this about?

Do you happen to have the link for that thing?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

Do you happen to have the link for that thing?

http://gib.me/sam/

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

abraham linksys posted:

Was... was this actually made by Neversoft? These look exactly like THPS animations :psyduck:

e: wikipedia says it was based on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_Skateboarding so I guess not. loving weird

Yeah even Konami hopped on the Tony Hawk train back in the day and the game was actually decent. The pop-punk rendition of the Metal Gear Solid theme that plays over that level (which is in the Substance version of MGS2) is great.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Isn't there a version of this now that just auto-idles all your card-eligible games at the same time, or something?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Anonymous Robot posted:

Isn't there a version of this now that just auto-idles all your card-eligible games at the same time, or something?

https://github.com/jshackles/idle_master

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Thanks!

• Locked thread