Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Snapchat A Titty posted:

In which case the prize is one public shaming and two hours volunteering, rebutting racist comments on youtube or similar social media.

Compulsory Youtube commenting is forbidden by the Geneva Conventions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

That's only compulsory reading. Blind-posting isn't a problem.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Snapchat A Titty posted:

That's only compulsory reading. Blind-posting isn't a problem.

You're worse than John Yoo.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

qbert posted:

If it only saved women wouldn't this just straight up kill the human race?

Sure. That's why it'd be extra "welp nope this is a bad idea after all" to a greater extent than racial purity would be. On the other hand, frozen sperm, etc for the pure women to use to repopulate the human race? I dunno. Still seems more interesting than a straight master race plot.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Slamhound posted:

You're worse than John Yoo.

Oh wow I think you misunderstand! I'm saying forcing someone to read youtube comments is for sure a violation of the natural rights. Posting, however, is not.

Wait. I just now realize the consequences. Posts even less connected; Facial hair debates on Lonely Island videos, wild atttempts at phonetically reproducing famous voices, typed yelling on system of a down videos

Truly, I am sorry. I take it all back.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

To get back on track, I'm having a hard time hating on W. Wilson. When the plan seemed to be genocide in the first acts of series one, he was against it. When he was told that it was about saving the human race in the least bloody manner, he was into that. And so on, constantly trying to be on the side with the fewest possible casualties. He did kill Ians brother, and that's a hella lovely thing to do, but it's straight up ethical necessity in his eyes. In his world, if he does not shoot Ians brother, the world will end. If he does shoot him, the world may survive. Classic dilemma right there.

He shouldn't have done it, but it's really hard for me to fault him for doing it, considering the information he had at that time.

gently caress I love this programme.

e: also I look forward to the confrontation cause with those two actors it's bound to be amazing.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 8, 2014

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

To get back on track, I'm having a hard time hating on W. Wilson. When the plan seemed to be genocide in the first acts of series one, he was against it. When he was told that it was about saving the human race in the least bloody manner, he was into that. And so on, constantly trying to be on the side with the fewest possible casualties. He did kill Ians brother, and that's a hella lovely thing to do, but it's straight up ethical necessity in his eyes. In his world, if he does not shoot Ians brother, the world will end. If he does shoot him, the world may survive. Classic dilemma right there.

He shouldn't have done it, but it's really hard for me to fault him for doing it, considering the information he had at that time.

gently caress I love this programme.

e: also I look forward to the confrontation cause with those two actors it's bound to be amazing.

I appreciate that Wilson did not do a 180 either. It was a more subtle shift, still largely in line with his beliefs, but now with bigger stakes and reprecussions than he'd had before. He also needs for his father's murder to have been for something, to not be a waste. He could shift his thinking from, "My dad is dead because of me," to "My dad was a sacrifice to save the human race." But for the latter to be true he needs to throw in with a lot of crazed murderers. Who then proceeded to keep pushing him deeper into their line of thinking.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Speaking of Wilson, I loved when he got yelled at by Becky last episode when he was trying to suggest there was a silver lining to the latest tragedy.

^^^^ And, yeah, I definitely agree with his dad's murder having a lot to do with eagerness to embrace the Network's goals. Wasn't there also a thing in this season's first episode where either Milner or Carvil was saying the other was desperate to make someone's death have meaning with Janus?

savinhill fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 9, 2014

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

savinhill posted:

Speaking of Wilson, I loved when he got yelled at by Becky last episode when he was trying to suggest there was a silver lining to the latest tragedy.

haha oh loving hell "At least you've lost someone now, like me and Becky have" he bloody says to Ian about the brother he literally killed. If Becky hadn't called him out on that I don't know if I could have kept watching

Sibboleth
Jul 10, 2014
Random pointless speculation before the final episode: Lee has mentioned that he is 'more important now' (a point seemingly backed up by his new yellow colour scheme and also the way in which several scenes in which he's been in have been directed and edited) but we have yet to see any sign of this in plot terms.* He was a hit man-cum-torturer in the first series and remains one now. Significant? Perhaps not, but hiding things - often in plain sight - has been a constant theme in Utopia.

*Except that he has (had) direct access to Milner now. But then with Letan dead this would presumably be unavoidable?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sibboleth posted:

Random pointless speculation before the final episode: Lee has mentioned that he is 'more important now' (a point seemingly backed up by his new yellow colour scheme and also the way in which several scenes in which he's been in have been directed and edited) but we have yet to see any sign of this in plot terms.* He was a hit man-cum-torturer in the first series and remains one now. Significant? Perhaps not, but hiding things - often in plain sight - has been a constant theme in Utopia.

*Except that he has (had) direct access to Milner now. But then with Letan dead this would presumably be unavoidable?

Prediction: At some point tonight, either Arby or a proto-arby (Wilson, Grant) will fight Lee, and appear to have the upper hand until it's revealed that Lee's arm isn't actually paralysed at all.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
Well, in conclusion, the first episode of the series was the best. It all feels a bit convenient and... small compared to S1. Still great TV, but a definite step down overall unfortunately.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Welp, Wilson is a dick. And probably crazy. Ouch.

I admit I didn't really see how this could carry on to a third series, but after that, yes please.

Arby and Becky I guess "got away" I suppose because Wilson should think they're dead. And Jessica will probably bust out with some ridiculous plan.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Stumiester posted:

Well, in conclusion, the first episode of the series was the best. It all feels a bit convenient and... small compared to S1. Still great TV, but a definite step down overall unfortunately.

I agree. And the setup for the next season looks like it's gonna be another "more of the same." Normally when I have something I like, I DO want basically more of the same. But I think the show needs to move away from all the super-powerful conspiracy holds people's family's hostage and other people prisoner while the good guys try to work around it and stop them.

That being said it's still good and I do wanna watch the next season. Becky's drug actually being what is making her sick was a great twist.

Also drat Wilson you don't actually need that symbol carved on your stomach. I think this is what Milner was using him for, a true believer who would be capable of defeating any counter-measures (because he knows all the good guys who know about it) and continue the project after her death.

Metropolis fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 13, 2014

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Jesus loving Christ, Wilson.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

McDragon posted:

Welp, Wilson is a dick. And probably crazy. Ouch.

I admit I didn't really see how this could carry on to a third series, but after that, yes please.

Arby and Becky I guess "got away" I suppose because Wilson should think they're dead. And Jessica will probably bust out with some ridiculous plan.

I'm all for a third series just for the rise and fall of Wilson "The Hardest Motherfucker Alive" Wilson.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Really weird how this show went from conspiracy thriller in season 1 to how baddies become baddies in season 2. Hopefully they tie it all up next season by V day.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
So season 3 will be Wilson breaking down Ian until Ian in turn, becomes the next Mr. Rabbit?

gently caress it, this is still pretty engrossing with the amazing soundtrack. Can't believe how long the epilogue after the death of Terrence lasted, and all to build up the next season.

Now do we think Jessica deliberately told Becky that story just to speed up the suicide or did she mean to put her off? Because I was thinking the latter.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Lady Galaga posted:

Now do we think Jessica deliberately told Becky that story just to speed up the suicide or did she mean to put her off? Because I was thinking the latter.

Why do you think Jessica wouldnt want her to kill herself?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I really thought they were going kill Becky off and it would be one of the saddest TV deaths :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This season was a'ight. I loved the premiere (best episode of the whole show so far imo) but it became clear as it went on that the only reason for the 70s flashback was because the main story didn't have enough meat for six episodes - hell, even at five it felt stretched. I really don't care about the whole Ian/Becky thing and keeping Anton a mystery for two episodes when it was obvious he was Carvel was a dumb move. Wilson's sudden turn into insanity in the finale was weird too. However there were individual scenes as good as anything in s1, including the cold open to the finale. I'll definitely watch s3 if it happens.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
I found out last night that the actress who played Becky was Scottish. I was SHOCKED.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
The last episode adds another 2 to the tally of perfect headshots performed by characters who have (probably) never fired a gun before. That brings Wilson 'no depth perception' Wilsons total up to 4.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Koburn posted:

The last episode adds another 2 to the tally of perfect headshots performed by characters who have (probably) never fired a gun before. That brings Wilson 'no depth perception' Wilsons total up to 4.

And the way the blood splattered in a perfect cone for both deaths was also really emersion breaking as well.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Rarity posted:

I really thought they were going kill Becky off and it would be one of the saddest TV deaths :(

The show just wouldn't be the same without Becky's foul-mouthed scoldings of the other characters.

Bown posted:

Wilson's sudden turn into insanity in the finale was weird too.

I thought this was actually built up to really well, what with his original turn last season, him obsessing over that spoon all this season, being hosed with by his original torturer and father's executioner & having to justify working alongside him, Milner's manipulations of him, and him having to justify his killing of Ian's bro to himself. There were also plenty of times over the past couple of episodes where he was trying to reach out to and reconnect with the old gang only to be rebuffed, I know I definitely thought it was going to lead to him turning on them again.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

It sounds really strange to say this, but Utopia makes people being shot in the head look kind of pretty.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I wasn't all that thrilled with this episode or the season over all. I think that Season 1 was the strongest both in terms of musical use, visuals, and story. Season 2 was just Season 1 but less well done all around. I can only imagine Season 3 will have Ian get framed for a crime he did not commit, gov't people will reluctantly keep supporting a conspiracy, Becky will get sick (for real this time?!?!?) and the heroes will narrowly thwart the release of a bioagent meant to save the world long term but devastate it short term only to find out that the conspiracy is still going ahead but different with someone else taking up the mantle of Mr. Rabbit.

If the creators think that Season 2 was anything but a rather large step down from Season 1 I don't have too much hope for a theoretical Season 3.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
I thought the ending of season 2 was better than the end of season 1, but all round season 1 was better

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

notaspy posted:

And the way the blood splattered in a perfect cone for both deaths was also really emersion breaking as well.

But Utopia takes a lot of its styling straight from comic books. The blood splattering hasn't looked realistic ever.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

The Big Taff Man posted:

I found out last night that the actress who played Becky was Scottish. I was SHOCKED.

What? She's from Ammanford.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I hope Wilson carved the symbol the wrong way round into his body.

I will agree that episode one was the best of this season and it was overall weaker than season one.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I think the main problem with this season was that the most interesting characters (Grant, Arby) had poorly defined arcs and limited screentime compared to S1. It made the show less intriguing.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

DickEmery posted:

What? She's from Ammanford.

Ah what the christ, Im sure I read on twitter that she was Scottish. I'm guessing it was a joke that I misunderstood.

pogo
Nov 14, 2003

England's finest <3

Rarity posted:

I think the main problem with this season was that the most interesting characters (Grant, Arby) had poorly defined arcs and limited screentime compared to S1. It made the show less intriguing.

Grant was pretty boring this season I thought. Almost all of his screentime was him being an annoying teenager being angry at everyone else.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

pogo posted:

Grant was pretty boring this season I thought. Almost all of his screentime was him being an annoying teenager being angry at everyone else.

So his arc about his feelings of being trapped and having no control over his life, to becoming 'powerful' via murder through to acceptance of his life is boring? I was simplistic but so was everything else for the most part and that's why this program works

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

notaspy posted:

So his arc about his feelings of being trapped and having no control over his life, to becoming 'powerful' via murder through to acceptance of his life is boring? I was simplistic but so was everything else for the most part and that's why this program works

The most important arc: Jen being revealed as a complete badass and borderline psychopath in defence of her family.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The most important arc: Jen being revealed as a complete badass and borderline psychopath in defence of her family.

Never gently caress with mothers.

I reread what I wrote and it was a bit aggressive, sorry about that OP

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I have to echo the consensus that the series rapidly unwove itself after the excellent first episode, which was chock-full of the paranoid conspiracy tension that made the first series so great.

Alarm bells definitely went off for me with the way they treated Lee in such a fan-servicey way. The very first episode set him up as this slick, efficient and sadistic primary (at the time) antagonist who's then killed off by a blind Wilson, which is the first moment of accidental badassery from the protagonists. But then he was brought back in a new suit for nothing more than a handful of black comedy scenes with Wilson and tiny nudges of the plot that could have been handled by any other villain character.

The first series sticks in my mind as these excellently paced reveals of exactly how deep the plot goes, and who's on what side. With all these factors known, I can't recall much of interest happening in series 2, just a lot of Becky and Ian having their uninteresting love plot in a bunch of corridors with lots of plastic sheeting, before a hurried twist as to what the Russian Flu actually did in the last five minutes of the penultimate episode, which had even been used as a red herring in the first series.

I'm not even mad, I'm just very disappointed.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Strom Cuzewon posted:

If Wilson Wilson thinks he can get a handle on the ACTION DUGDALES then he's got another thing coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

I don't think this series was ever going to be as good as the first. In most of the first series the network's motives and leadership were still very mysterious. I think the more we learned about them the less interesting the show got, a bit like with Lost but on a much smaller scale. I still really enjoyed the second series though, it was dark, absurd and hilarious, which is everything I want in a TV show.

Anyone like the film Kill List? It has Neil Maskell (and Tyres from Spaced), and like Utopia is completely absurd, violent and brilliant, and also centred around a strange shadowy organisation. The trailer for it is a bit poo poo though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqkqF--v1tg

• Locked thread