Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

trouser chili posted:

This guy sucks. I don't think it could have been much closer and I had no-where to go with that wall on my right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QraA1s_h2ng

See I don't get how you guys are always so quiet. If I ever get one, you'd hear lots of very loud swearing anytime something like that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

a primate posted:

Thanks for the tips. I might have to look at some pictures of my car online, because there's an airbag in the A-pillar. Do you have it wired to the fusebox with a briefcase clip, or are you using the 12 volt?

I thought my car had one in the A pillar because there is a "AIRBAG" sticker on it (and it's certainly big enough to hold one!), but the repair manual shows the airbags are in the steering wheel, seat, and in the headliner above the side doors.

So maybe double-check.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

sbyers77 posted:

I thought my car had one in the A pillar because there is a "AIRBAG" sticker on it (and it's certainly big enough to hold one!), but the repair manual shows the airbags are in the steering wheel, seat, and in the headliner above the side doors.

So maybe double-check.

Will do. I always thought there was one in there for the same reason ("airbag" is stamped into the a-pillar cover) so I'll look around for a guide.

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

You could also work backwards like I did to verify the deployment locations: look online at the crash test videos.

IIHS publishes pretty much all the crash test videos online, so just need to find the front and side impact videos for your car.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

sbyers77 posted:

You could also work backwards like I did to verify the deployment locations: look online at the crash test videos.

IIHS publishes pretty much all the crash test videos online, so just need to find the front and side impact videos for your car.

That's actually a pretty clever idea. Phonepostin right now but I think I'll do the same.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What kind of a car is it?
My Mazda 3 has airbags in the A-pillar but you can run wires down it, as that's how it's done in the auto-dimming rearview mirror instructions. Now, I read those instructions more than 8 years ago so I don't remember how it's done but I imagine the wires must be placed carefully not to go infront of the airbag!

For $36CAD though if it works that's pretty drat good.

Fucknag posted:

See I don't get how you guys are always so quiet. If I ever get one, you'd hear lots of very loud swearing anytime something like that happened.

In a situation like that your brain puts all of its focus on surviving, I'd say. Any swearing would be quite justified, though!

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

It's a 2011 KIA Forte EX. I used to peruse the Forte forums, so maybe I'll look there for starters.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags

Ace944
Jan 28, 2009
Here are some clips I have collected and put into a small video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOYj74UBIqk most of the video was taken by a cheap Chinese knockoff dashcam that I am quite happy with http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-1080P-Ca...=item1e835a8ef9

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Fucknag posted:

I think that is the main reason all the silent videos are out there. If I ever get a dashcam, I will need to do the same thing. But I am always talking while driving, for both the the good and bad things. Swearing at the bad drivers, or giving my own commentary while on a twisty road or on the track, I just never shut up.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Fucknag posted:

I'm not typically very talkative to begin with and it seems that for me the first part of my brain to shut down in stressful situations or times of great concentration is the speech center.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Ace944 posted:

Here are some clips I have collected and put into a small video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOYj74UBIqk most of the video was taken by a cheap Chinese knockoff dashcam that I am quite happy with http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-1080P-Ca...=item1e835a8ef9

I love the guy turning at 27 seconds. I almost forgot it was you who posted it because I'm so used to Russian dash cams where everything is all accidents, so I was truly expecting after the first two cars stopped and he proceeded to turn, that some truck was just gonna plow through him as he crossed the third lane.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
I've been wanting to get an action cam for various poo poo, but i'd also like one that'd do double duty as a dashcam for long trips. i stumbled over the SJ1000 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QppW_0_DuiE which seems to be really nice and comes with a whole bunch of kit. anyone here have experience with it? hopefully it hasn't been cloned to poo poo already.

EDIT: i also just discovered the SJ4000, which seems to have UK resellers so i wouldn't have to deal with import taxes, it's slightly more expensive but apparently mount compatible with go-pro's stuff. this is the current contender for action cam/dashcam for me.

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Aug 18, 2014

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I've got the SJ1000 and it works pretty well, but if you can get the SJ4000 for roughly the same price you should get it instead. They appear to share the same internals just with a different form factor, and being able to use gopro accessories would make it much more useful.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Yeah watching youtubes about it, it seems like the SJ4000 is exactly what i want, so that goes on next month's buy list.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Ephphatha posted:

I've got the SJ1000 and it works pretty well, but if you can get the SJ4000 for roughly the same price you should get it instead. They appear to share the same internals just with a different form factor, and being able to use gopro accessories would make it much more useful.

Yep, just got the SJ4000 myself - quite excellent if I should say so. If you play to use it in your car, then you should get this as well:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Ca...=item3a9545a516

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Here's something a little different:
I was driving home from EAA AirVenture in Oshkosh during the afternoon airshow. Saw some interesting things on the highway along the way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE78TpEQT-4

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

There's a spot in Toronto that's great for watching planes land and take-off. On the 427, you can routinely see stuff like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InO6EX_vr-A

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Holy motherfuck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vd_OuqUAaI

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can get moments like that driving 294 in Chicago too.

It's a bit disconcerting even though it happens hundreds of times a day and nothing ever goes wrong.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

MiniFoo posted:

So I just went ahead and bought these things:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LPBRH0O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CRWQBDY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I0NI042/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I shouldn't need anything else if that review video is accurate and the cam comes with a cigarette-lighter charger, right? Since that should already have the 12V-to-5V stepdown circuitry...

So I got all this stuff in the mail a couple of weeks ago, and finally got around to wiring it up. As far as I can tell, the cigarette-lighter adapter and fuse tap work great with the provided charger. The camera gets a little hot, but nothing major, especially in the baking Arizona summer sun. The 16GB Transcend microSD card formatted just fine and I didn't have any loop-recording errors that others have reported about on the internet. The mount sticks well to the windshield, and the form-factor of the camera is great, very discreet. There's a slight problem though:

The lens focus is all sorts of hosed-up, like it's stuck in a typical point-and-shoot's "macro mode."

As far as I know, these sorts of dashcams are supposed to have an infinite focal length, right? There's no reason to need to focus on anything up-close for an application like this, so there shouldn't be any moving parts inside the lens area... Do you think something could have been installed wrong, or something got knocked out of place? Either way, I messaged the seller on Amazon, and they're replacing it for me without much of a hassle. I'm just very disappointed that I might have gotten a defective unit right off the bat, and flashing to the latest firmware didn't solve the issue (because it's probably a physical defect that has nothing to do with the electronics). For reference, this is a random screenshot that I took from a YouTube video of the same model. Notice that everything in the picture is crisp and detailed, including the reflection of the defroster vents and faraway objects:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

a primate posted:

There's a spot in Toronto that's great for watching planes land and take-off. On the 427, you can routinely see stuff like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InO6EX_vr-A

There's a hill along my favorite bike trail here in San Antonio that is right under the approach/takeoff path for one of the runways. If you sit up there on days where that runway is being used you can see that every few minutes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MiniFoo posted:

As far as I know, these sorts of dashcams are supposed to have an infinite focal length, right? There's no reason to need to focus on anything up-close for an application like this, so there shouldn't be any moving parts inside the lens area... Do you think something could have been installed wrong, or something got knocked out of place?

Yes, even cheap fixed focus lenses have calibration that needs to be done when the device is being constructed.. differences in lens quality or manufacture can change the final adjustment.

So basically whoever assembled your camera messed up or forgot to do their job.

If you cracked it open you might even be able to fix it yourself, but if the seller is willing to replace it that's a much better solution.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

MiniFoo posted:

I'm just very disappointed that I might have gotten a defective unit right off the bat

Out of box failures of one sort or another seem to be pretty high on these cheap dash cams. My G1W is the 2nd one, as the first one the display didn't work at all. Got it through Amazon so it was a non-issue getting it replaced, but I've read quite a few things about the high initial failure rate on these cheap cams. Great quality control I guess!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Internet lawyers: do I have the right to leave the audio recording during a traffic stop?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

CharlesM posted:

Internet lawyers: do I have the right to leave the audio recording during a traffic stop?

Yes: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/13/filming-police-officers_n_5676940.html

I can't guarantee that cops won't give you a hard time, though, because a lot of cops are assholes

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

CharlesM posted:

Don't say poo poo. If they ask if its recording say no. That's it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chinatown posted:

I sort of want a sticker that attaches over the driver's window that reads "conversations with the contents of this vehicle may be recorded for quality control purposes."

If it works for corporations it works for people, right? :v:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Chinatown posted:

Saying no when you are recording can be illegal in some states. Recording audio in California without the person's consent is illegal, but I don't know if that applies to Police since it is generally OK to record them with video and audio when not in your vehicle.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Cops in Australia (NSW) record the conversation anyway.

I didnt mention it the last time I got pulled over, because I didnt want them to have any evidence against me. I wanted to make sure the footage I had only got submitted if it helped my case.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

CharlesM posted:

Depends if your state is a one party consent state or two party consent state. One party consent means only one person involved in the conversation has to be aware and consent to it being recorded. Two party means both people in the conversation have to be aware and consent to be being recorded. However, if you're in a one party consent state and the cops are pissed at you, enjoy your felony wiretapping charges to fight against.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
CO is a single party consent state. So as long as I know I'm recording there isn't poo poo the cop can do. But then again, most of the cops out here are wearing those wireless cameras on their jacket anyway. One of the bike cops (revenue enforcement) was at our office talking about something or other last year and he says he likes to pull up next to idiots that are texting at a stop light and just put his camera on their window.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
You need to be aware of local laws, but most of the recording / videotaping laws specifically refer to situations when there is a reasonable expectation of privacy. For a cop pulling you over on the side of the road, that expectation doesn't exist. The Surpreme Court has held this up loads of times but most specifically and recently in 2012 when they struck down an overkill Illinois law that was trying to prevent recording police.

http://www.courtroomstrategy.com/2012/11/supreme-court-upholds-legality-of-videotaping-police/

So chances are you'd be ok, but you want to be ready to suffer some bullshit from the cops who don't like that, and then hire an attorney if charges happen.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

CO is a single party consent state. So as long as I know I'm recording there isn't poo poo the cop can do. But then again, most of the cops out here are wearing those wireless cameras on their jacket anyway. One of the bike cops (revenue enforcement) was at our office talking about something or other last year and he says he likes to pull up next to idiots that are texting at a stop light and just put his camera on their window.

I think your half right there. When you say the police can't do poo poo, those wiretapping charges were brought against people in single party consent states before. The defendant usually won in the end but not after a long and lengthy battle with police.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Coredump posted:

I think your half right there. When you say the police can't do poo poo, those wiretapping charges were brought against people in single party consent states before. The defendant usually won in the end but not after a long and lengthy battle with police.

Even if it did matter, the cops can gently caress with you anyway. That's why they became cops.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

veedubfreak posted:

Even if it did matter, the cops can gently caress with you anyway. That's why they became cops.

This. Doesn't matter how in the right you are, if you get a cop who is pissed off they will find a reason to arrest/make your day suck.

I just picked up a Mini 0803 and its pretty nice. I was able to tuck it right behind the rear view mirror in my JSW where you can't see it from either seat. Now I just need to order a long rear end usb cable so I can tuck the cable down the a pillar and out of sight.

Anyone know how long of a USB cable I would need? I think there are a couple other JSW drivers in here.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Negromancer posted:

This. Doesn't matter how in the right you are, if you get a cop who is pissed off they will find a reason to arrest/make your day suck.

I just picked up a Mini 0803 and its pretty nice. I was able to tuck it right behind the rear view mirror in my JSW where you can't see it from either seat. Now I just need to order a long rear end usb cable so I can tuck the cable down the a pillar and out of sight.

Anyone know how long of a USB cable I would need? I think there are a couple other JSW drivers in here.

Did it come with the 12v adapter? Whatever that length is, I used all but about 6-8 inches in my Golf. If you're having trouble keeping the cord up under the headliner at the windshield, I put a hearty zip tie on it, cut off the excess and put that under the headliner. Since its thicker there the cord doesn't come down.

It's easier to run it on the outside of the A pillar instead of the inside, as well.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Yea, it came with lighter adapter cable that is long. I want to buy just a normal USB tho since there is only 1 12v outlet up front and I already have 2 port USB adapter in there. I am trying to find a flat 10ft USB cable but not having much luck for amazon prime eligible ones.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Monoprice has 10 and 15 footers available for under 3 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

BraveUlysses posted:

Monoprice has 10 and 15 footers available for under 3 bucks.

Just make sure that it's one without ferrite chokes (round circles before the plugs) as they will make it difficult to hide the cable.