Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There is a 100% chance he will be voiced by Troy Baker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

There is a 100% chance he will be voiced by Troy Baker

Nah, Troy Baker'll be one of the other guys. Probably Sword Friendship. Main guy will be Yuri Lowenthal or Johnny Yong Basch.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No, it's Final Fantasy. Noctis will either be voiced by some dude in a lot of American cartoons, video games, or a failed actor, maybe all three at once. The secondary characters will be the usual suspects.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

No, it's Final Fantasy. Noctis will either be voiced by some dude in a lot of American cartoons, video games, or a failed actor, maybe all three at once. The secondary characters will be the usual suspects.

In a surprise twist it's gonna be Liam Neeson.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My money's on Nolan North.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
FF never seems to use big actors for central characters, so I predict some nobody who sounds oddly like someone actually known. Fuckin' Liam O'Brien better not be involved.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Million Ghosts posted:

FF never seems to use big actors for central characters, so I predict some nobody who sounds oddly like someone actually known. Fuckin' Liam O'Brien better not be involved.

Kitase talked about the use of celebrity actors:

quote:

One of the topics we discussed in the greatest depth was the matter of localization – something to which Kitase admits being something of an outsider. Understandably, while he's confident in the Japanese-language releases of his games, he feels a bit out of depth when it comes to foreign editions in what, for him, are non-native languages. Localization involves much more than simply translating dialogue, and the rules that apply to Japanese releases don't necessarily work in other countries. For instance, Kitase pointed to the trend of celebrity voices in Western games, such as Kiefer Sutherland in Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes and Ellen Page in Beyond: Two Souls, as something would never fly overseas.

"In Japan, fans actually complain if we use movie stars rather than their favorite voice actors," he said. Japan has a wholly unique fan culture that's grown up around voice actors, a phenomenon that doesn't exist in the West. Americans generally only know the names of a handful of dedicated voice actors, and generally when we talk about them at all it's to joke about the omnipresence of guys like Nolan North and Troy Baker.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/final-fantasys-producer-asks-what-makes-or-breaks-a-localization

If you don't count The Spirits Within's starstudded cast, then the Kingdom Hearts series has a number of well-known Hollywood actors. The Third Birthday had Yvonne Strahovski as Aya.

I once had a crazy dream that Justin Timberlake was hired to voice Noctis. I'm really glad that never happened.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Excuse you, when I talk about Jamieson Price it's solely to confess my undying love.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I dunno, Kari Wahlgren (Ashe) and James Arnold Taylor (Tidus) weren't complete unknowns back when they did their roles... Although now we're gonna get into a shitfit about who the main character of XII is. And I'll admit, I don't know anybody else in the party. Balthier was in Dragon Age II and I never played that game, jut saw a cutscene and knew his voice right away. Why he isn't in everything, God only knows. But Vaan, Basch, Fran, Penelo = all unknowns to me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gideon Emery (Balthier) was in a decent number of episodes of Teen Wolf, which is an Actual TV Show, so he has that going for him.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Troy Baker is the biggest star that voiced a main character in FF, and that's only as a hindsight when he did much bigger projects like Last of Us and being the Joker.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Kulkasha posted:

So I'm playing ffxii izjs for the first time and I was wondering what the thematically best jobs for each character are (no max-max bs). This is my current lineup:
Vaan - Uhlan
Balthier - Hunter
Fran - Red Mage
Penelo - Monk
Basch - will be Knight, maybe
Ashe - will be Samurai, maybe

Samurai Ashe is good from both a thematic and a min-max standpoint, as she's the only character who can reach 99 in Strength and Magic at the same time.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Dude I would kill for Justin Timberlake to be in any FF. Jamieson Price can be the gruff old man who's a secret softy and O'Brien can play a smug dick like always.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tae posted:

Troy Baker is the biggest star that voiced a main character in FF, and that's only as a hindsight when he did much bigger projects like Last of Us and being the Joker.

I guess he's kinda drifted into "the mainstream" if you will while the others are at best only famous in anime circles, but what about Tara Strong (Rikku)? She has been in everything ever. I looked up her Wikipedia page once and realized with a great shock I've been hearing her in things my entire life without realizing it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lessail posted:

I don't really like that since it is more difficult to suss out what is a counterattack and what is simply an enemy's action. It's ok for trash mobs but for bosses where you want to get healing off where it become a hassle. It feels like I'm punished for picking an action. I don't know maybe I just don't like atb anymore?
You can tell if something is a counterattack if you set the game to Wait. If it does it while you have a menu open, it's a counter; if not, it's just their regular turn action. Some enemies have a percent chance to counter like the Lamias early in the game.

9's ATB is just kinda messed up compared to 7 and 8, like Mak0rz says. It's always active even when attacks are animating, whereas in FF7 (and maybe 8?) it automatically paused all ATBs when the player's attacks animated. Still, 9 is balanced around always-active, so if you do the menu trick, you'll notice you get pretty much three or four times as many actions as you do when you aren't using it.

That's great for people who like to break poo poo like me, but I can see how it wouldn't really have mass appeal.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I guess he's kinda drifted into "the mainstream" if you will while the others are at best only famous in anime circles, but what about Tara Strong (Rikku)? She has been in everything ever. I looked up her Wikipedia page once and realized with a great shock I've been hearing her in things my entire life without realizing it.

Laura Bailey (Serrah in the XIII games) is another one of those voice actors that's in everything

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
That seems to happen way more with women VAs, probably cause the talent pool seems way smaller.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The talent pool being small is a myth. There are more than enough VA's in Cali alone to have unique voices all day. People like Laura Bailey are contacted often because 1) they have worked with her before so scheduling is easier, less time to prep on roles 2) familiar with her agency, making quicker and faster negotiation.

From a business standpoint, cutting as much time needed to get VA's is one of the few points that companies can control without much loss in quality, especially compared to actually programming the game to not break.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Not to mention, while the talent pool isn't small, the money/fame pool kind of is. It isn't big business that gets you lots of diehard fans like it is in Japan.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Hence why I said "seems" :v: I've just noticed hearing the same people in everything happens way more with women.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

Gideon Emery (Balthier) was in a decent number of episodes of Teen Wolf, which is an Actual TV Show, so he has that going for him.

Gideon Emery's also in a lot of more western video games and some anime. Off the top of my head he's voiced Steve Fox in Tekken, Nelson in W101, Sam Gideon in Vanquish and even did the recent Fire Emblem game as the thief dude whose name I forget.

NikkolasKing posted:

I dunno, Kari Wahlgren (Ashe) and James Arnold Taylor (Tidus) weren't complete unknowns back when they did their roles... Although now we're gonna get into a shitfit about who the main character of XII is. And I'll admit, I don't know anybody else in the party. Balthier was in Dragon Age II and I never played that game, jut saw a cutscene and knew his voice right away. Why he isn't in everything, God only knows. But Vaan, Basch, Fran, Penelo = all unknowns to me.

Kari Wahlgren was kinda in nothing but anime up until like 2008, she was a nobody back when XII came out and so was James Arnold Taylor in 2001. I would say John Dimaggio as Wakka back then, but Futurama would have just started too, so I dunno. Cat Taber (Penelo) has been in quite a few western video games and was in Peace Walker as Cecille recently. Keith Ferguson (Basch) has been in a ton of video games and cartoons as well, hell he even voices Marluxia from KH. The rest you named are a failed actor and a dude who guest stars in a ton of poo poo and voice acts for commercials.

Tae posted:

The talent pool being small is a myth. There are more than enough VA's in Cali alone to have unique voices all day. People like Laura Bailey are contacted often because 1) they have worked with her before so scheduling is easier, less time to prep on roles 2) familiar with her agency, making quicker and faster negotiation.

From a business standpoint, cutting as much time needed to get VA's is one of the few points that companies can control without much loss in quality, especially compared to actually programming the game to not break.

This being said, voice actors like Laura Bailey and Troy Baker are starting to be in non-union voice acting less. You will most certainly hear them in the next Final Fantasy, but as it has already been established Square-Enix is able to pull voice actors that most anime and video games don't get (Partially thanks to the Disney connection). It's no doubt though that like every FF up to this point, most of the main cast is the usual suspects while maybe one or two are some unknown/D-list actor.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Endorph posted:

Not to mention, while the talent pool isn't small, the money/fame pool kind of is. It isn't big business that gets you lots of diehard fans like it is in Japan.

Yet a number of them have been at it for decades. They give a lot and get so little in return. It shows they all have a real passion for their work and that's one reason I tend to be as voice-fixated as I am and learn as many voice-actor and voice-actress names as I can. I try to pay respects to these people who frankly don't get enough of it.

And it isn't helped by the people who bitch and whine about every English dub ever because obviously Glorious Nippon is better in all regards. I like Japan, I wouldn't watch anime and play mostly JRPGs if I didn't, but those people really piss me off because they often take out their stupid frustrations on people who don't deserve it. The VAs are usually less at fault for bad dubs than the voice directors.

Beef Waifu posted:

This being said, voice actors like Laura Bailey and Troy Baker are starting to be in non-union voice acting less. You will most certainly hear them in the next Final Fantasy, but as it has already been established Square-Enix is able to pull voice actors that most anime and video games don't get (Partially thanks to the Disney connection). It's no doubt though that like every FF up to this point, most of the main cast is the usual suspects while maybe one or two are some unknown/D-list actor.

Of course there's nothing wrong with unknowns or whatever. Gabranth and Dr. Cid were the best voices in al of XII and possibly the greatest voices ever in an FF game. Hell if I know who either of them are and I just wish Gabranth's original dub VA would have returned for Dissidia.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 14, 2014

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I want to see some bold casting decisions in FFXV. Let's get Gilbert Gottfried as Noctis.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Doesn't help that anime/rpg dialogue tends to be either awkward and wordy or aggresibely stupid, and sometimes both!

Gottfried for Noctis, Goldthwait for Stella.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

The White Dragon posted:

You can tell if something is a counterattack if you set the game to Wait. If it does it while you have a menu open, it's a counter; if not, it's just their regular turn action. Some enemies have a percent chance to counter like the Lamias early in the game.

9's ATB is just kinda messed up compared to 7 and 8, like Mak0rz says. It's always active even when attacks are animating, whereas in FF7 (and maybe 8?) it automatically paused all ATBs when the player's attacks animated. Still, 9 is balanced around always-active, so if you do the menu trick, you'll notice you get pretty much three or four times as many actions as you do when you aren't using it.

That's great for people who like to break poo poo like me, but I can see how it wouldn't really have mass appeal.

Yeah you've told me the atb thing before when I first had a problem with it.

I'll probably get up to 67/68 and try again and see how it goes

Lessail fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 14, 2014

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Help Im Alive posted:

Laura Bailey (Serrah in the XIII games) is another one of those voice actors that's in everything

rear end DANCE!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

rear end DANCE!

Another reason to respect voice-actresses in particular is a lot of the weird poo poo they have to do. I wonder if Cherami Leight hates us all now she's not only had to be Lucy in Fairy Tail but Syrma in mugen Souls Z. I wouldn't blame her if she did. Same goes for ll the female VAs in Fairy Tail or the innumerable other anime where they have to "act" in a very sexual way for cheap fanservice.

(not actually seen "Shin Chan." That almost sounds like it is more comedic than fanservice but my point is still the same about the other things)

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

actually gently caress it i'm going all the way into the 70s because gently caress necron's rng rear end

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Levels aren't going to save you from Grand Cross. Death is death. It only helps if you're somehow finding it tougher to do 9999s at that point.

In fact, overgrinding makes the Trance Kuja fight harder.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Levels aren't going to save you from Grand Cross. Death is death. It only helps if you're somehow finding it tougher to do 9999s at that point.

In fact, overgrinding makes the Trance Kuja fight harder.

having two people die to a comet at the beginning of the fight doesn't really help things

edit: maybe i'm just super loving bad at the game?????????

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

NikkolasKing posted:

Another reason to respect voice-actresses in particular is a lot of the weird poo poo they have to do. I wonder if Cherami Leight hates us all now she's not only had to be Lucy in Fairy Tail but Syrma in mugen Souls Z. I wouldn't blame her if she did. Same goes for ll the female VAs in Fairy Tail or the innumerable other anime where they have to "act" in a very sexual way for cheap fanservice.

(not actually seen "Shin Chan." That almost sounds like it is more comedic than fanservice but my point is still the same about the other things)

No voice actress cares about sexual poo poo they work on. Hell, one of Tara Strong's favorite roles is Toot from Drawn Together and that is something of a role. The only time I've heard a voice actress struggle with a scene because of the content was a scene in Death Note that is REALLY showing how dissonant the values of Japan are when it comes to a married couple.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lessail posted:

having two people die to a comet at the beginning of the fight doesn't really help things

edit: maybe i'm just super loving bad at the game?????????

Necron doesn't do Comet or Meteor. You're talking about Ozma, aren't you? Because for that one it's half RNG alright.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Necron doesn't do Comet or Meteor. You're talking about Ozma, aren't you? Because for that one it's half RNG alright.

I assume the fight after trance kuja is necron. Maybe it wasn't comet it was something not grand cross that killed vivi and dagger his first attack

edit: a guide is saying he does meteor which says is random damage

Lessail fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 14, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Yeah Necron can totally cast Meteor. That's just lovely luck, but before you go and grind Grand Dragons with L5 Death, be forewarned that HP growth after like 75 is fuckin garbage--I'm talking like 2-4HP per level for tanks like Steiner. Also, Trance Kuja will get harder at higher levels because 1) bad HP growth and 2) Flare Star does 60 * level damage, so it'll start one-shotting Vivi, Eiko, and Garnet probably in the 80s.

Unfortunately, there's no real easy way to cheese him. Even if you can guarantee max damage, he can still gently caress you up. Bring Garnet or Eiko and have them use your Dark Matter as an item on their first turn, that'll guarantee at least one attack that'll do 9999 damage. Otherwise... bring Steiner, use Shock constantly, and drop Flares when you can? Short of grinding up Dragon's Crest and Thievery, that's the best advice I can give you.

e: Actually, grinding can help in that Necron casts Flare and Holy, and you might get enough Ability Stones to bring Auto-Reflect for a little free damage while saving yourself some pain. Doesn't work on Meteor or Comet, sadly.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 14, 2014

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah Necron can totally cast Meteor. That's just lovely luck, but before you go and grind Grand Dragons with L5 Death, be forewarned that HP growth after like 75 is fuckin garbage--I'm talking like 2-4HP per level.

I planned to get around ten levels and then try my luck again. Hopefully this works out since this is the most trouble a series of end bosses has given me in any final fantasy game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Beef Waifu posted:

No voice actress cares about sexual poo poo they work on. Hell, one of Tara Strong's favorite roles is Toot from Drawn Together and that is something of a role. The only time I've heard a voice actress struggle with a scene because of the content was a scene in Death Note that is REALLY showing how dissonant the values of Japan are when it comes to a married couple.

How remarkably progressive of them. I'm impressed. They're more open-minded than a lot of the fanbase it seems.

And suddenly I'm kinda glad I never watched Death Note. Although Zeta Gundam was really good and people say it's sexist as all hell so....I dunno.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Necron was the only time I ever used Quina because Angel's Snack was a life saver.

I still only finished that fight with only Zidane alive at 12 HP (And his Trance ran out on the last hit)/

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If you're not using Quina as much as possible, you're playing the game wrong.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

You stand here say nothing, then you just like other dummy-dummies! No can tell difference!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Tae posted:

There was an interview with her where he started talking about Persona and then cut himself off and I really want to know what he was gonna say. I think Troy Baker 2014 can actually be picky with his roles and he doesn't want to do Kanji for the 6th time or whatever