Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

2house2fly posted:

That ending can never have the same impact now that everyone's been screaming about how much it sucks for two years. It's sort of the opposite effect of something being disappointing after the hype. At the time though, wowee!
Give the extended cut a shot BTW, it adds a bunch of other little things, my favourite of which is When the crucible lights up Hackett yells at all the ships to bug out, cut to Joker who is clearly ignoring him because he doesn't want to leave Shepard behind. The character you've talked to most in the game grabs him and says "dude we gotta go!" and Joker looks really sad, says "drat it" and looks away from the controls as he presses the button that makes the ship fly away. :(

Oh man :(

And yeah I'm grabbing all the DLCs for my second run-through. I like to play a game vanilla on my first runthrough, then get the DLCs for the second go-around. Really looking forward to the extended cut features!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
A small thing from some slightly older games;
In both Mortal Kombat and Injustice, the alternate costumes are actually worn by the characters in the story, not just because. In Injustice, its because of the alternate universe, and in MK its because of an alternate universe (Raiden), transformations (Cyrax), and just people wearing different clothes (Cage), like actual people do.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Oh man :(

And yeah I'm grabbing all the DLCs for my second run-through. I like to play a game vanilla on my first runthrough, then get the DLCs for the second go-around. Really looking forward to the extended cut features!

One suggestion is that I would wait to play Citadel as the very last thing you play. It's a great send off of all the characters they've had in since ME1, and in my opinion a far better ending to any Mass Effect experience even though it was pigeonholed in to take place before the end of ME3.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

LumpyGumby posted:

A small thing from some slightly older games;
In both Mortal Kombat and Injustice, the alternate costumes are actually worn by the characters in the story, not just because. In Injustice, its because of the alternate universe, and in MK its because of an alternate universe (Raiden), transformations (Cyrax), and just people wearing different clothes (Cage), like actual people do.

This is the one biggest complaint I have about Street Fighter, which is that they fail to do this.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Crap wrong thread

RenegadeStyle1 has a new favorite as of 04:13 on Aug 7, 2014

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Ok.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I got Bound By Flame off of gamefly and i'm trying to play through it. I actually have enjoyed it so far and i'm at the end. Maybe its just me but I can not beat the final boss. I have gotten sort of close, I even had him down to about 10% health before I ran out of stuff. Theres no way to get any more and from what i'm reading online basically the only option it seems that I have is restarting from scratch and speccing better. I am not sure if I have the fortitude to do that though and i'm debating just sending it back.

That boss is utter bullshit. I gave in and dropped the difficulty down to easy just to get the drat game over with.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Crap wrong thread
Well, great. Uh, a nice little thing in Bound By Flame is that it only has four areas so you don't have to play it very long.

J-Spot has a new favorite as of 04:18 on Aug 7, 2014

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Cleretic posted:

Nearing the end of Dark Souls II, and it's pulled off a genuinely very, very clever way to subtly direct the player.

Near the end of the game, you enter the memories of trees formed out of giant's corpses in the first proper zone in the game. There's three of them accessible, but no clear direction as to where they are... until you find one. They actually form a circuit, silently pointing you towards each other.

-One of them is behind a door opened by the King's Ring. It sends you to a memory set near where you fought the Pursuer, the area's second boss.
-Near the Pursuer's arena is another one. Its memory is set around the fortress where you first met Pate, the NPC that gives you the white soapstone.
-And just around there is where the third giant tree is. Its memory is of somewhere that got thoroughly wrecked in the battle and looks quite different now, but if you're keen-eyed you can still identify it as being around the walls where the King's Ring door now is.

I just figured they changed the structure of the game and had to switch all the memories around so the coolest-looking one was the mandatory one. That works too though.

The bit with the stone head and the giant king in that memory is great. You can see the king from way off, but for most of the approach your view is blocked by a rolling stone head that you have to dodge and the dust cloud it kicks up. Then the dust clears and you're probably standing next to a loving gigantic foot

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
In Shovel Knight, If you catch a fish with your fishing rod underwater, it will start swimming around after you reel it back up.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Forgive the watermark, it's the only image i could find that illustrated this guy's hat. :v:

This is Fergus Reid, from Wolfenstein: The New Order. He has a ton of fantastic one-liners, is quite involved in the plot and develops himself fantastically over the course of the storyline. However, what impresses me most is that loving hat.

At the start of the game you're both on a plane together and he's wearing that hat along with a radio mouth piece, which (naturally) distorts his voice. However, what really impresses me is as he moves around and talks to himself and his allies, not only do the sides of his helmet wiggle and wave around independently but the voice distortion is completely consistent. He'll occasionally move the mouth piece away so he can talk on the phone, or whatever, and the distortion will stop; there's even a moment where he lifts the side of his hat which takes the radio away, and for literally half a second his voice comes through completely normal without any radio effect added to it.

I don't know why this little bit amazes me so much. It's like someone sat down and said to themselves they're going to make the most realistic goddamn radio hat the world ever did see, even though it's only there for about five minutes of the entire game.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
In The Darkness II, there is a bit early on when the protagonist is talking about the Darkness in question wanting to get out, to have free reign, and when that happens, the controller briefly rumbles erratically. This happens every now and again when he's emotionally troubled, or some serious poo poo is about to go down.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

In Dwarf Fortress your fort can be attacked by a necromancer that will raise any corpses/body parts it find lying around. Civilian dwarves will get an unhappy thought for being attacked by anything, zombies included, but all dwarves will get a special unhappy thought if the zombie is their relative.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

In Dwarf Fortress your fort can be attacked by a necromancer that will raise any corpses/body parts it find lying around. Civilian dwarves will get an unhappy thought for being attacked by anything, zombies included, but all dwarves will get a special unhappy thought if the zombie is their relative.

I DESPERATLY want to get into dwarf fortress. Badly. Are there any really good how tons or beginners guides or... instructions?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Arx Monolith posted:

I DESPERATLY want to get into dwarf fortress. Badly. Are there any really good how tons or beginners guides or... instructions?

If I remember correctly, yes but it also doubles as a bachalor's degree.

That or it is a 30 volume set from the makers of Encyclopedia Brittanica.

Or maybe the YouTube servers holding the video takes up an entire city block.

It's probably only known by a single Monk deep in the mountains of the Himalayas.

Actually it is literally the Ark of the Covenant from Raiders.

Some say we are living in the instructions.

I can go all day

To not be a dick, here you go. But seriously, google's your friend.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The Moon Monster posted:

There are different and specific reactions to being assaulted by your dead pet, spouse, lover, sibling, parent, child, trained animal, friend and "a dead and still annoying acquaintance".

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
If I remember right those necromancers can raise pretty much anything down to the animal hides in your tannery too the sausages in your butcher.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Tardcore posted:

If I remember right those necromancers can raise pretty much anything down to the animal hides in your tannery too the sausages in your butcher.

I once saw a pile of undead Alpaca wool tear off a dwarfs arm, and then the arm itself was raised and started attacking it.

Arx Monolith posted:

Try downloading the Lazy Newb Pack for version 34. Version 40 was recently released but it needs a lot of bug fixes before it's newbie friendly.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.
Dwarf fortress has a really high learning curve but if you just hit your head against it and wiki anything you are unclear on it's still a really good time. Its only incredibly overwhelming and not very fun for a few days. Jump that hump and then it's only overwhelming but you get to laugh about your dumb rear end dorfs who thought fishing while it rained demon blood was a good plan

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I know I'm late to the party on this one (and it seems like a lot of people didn't like it, but whatever) - I just plowed through Bioshock: Infinite and really loved every second of it.

I went into it completely blind other than vague notions of a flying city. I was pretty unimpressed with the first Bioshock outside of the art direction, skipped the second one, and only picked up Infinite during the holiday Steam sale on the recommendation of a friend.

The art direction for Columbia was even better than that of Rapture, and the way the game builds up to the ending is stellar. It was a really well-polished game pretty much all around.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

HOW COULD YOU posted:

Dwarf fortress has a really high learning curve but if you just hit your head against it and wiki anything you are unclear on it's still a really good time. Its only incredibly overwhelming and not very fun for a few days. Jump that hump and then it's only overwhelming but you get to laugh about your dumb rear end dorfs who thought fishing while it rained demon blood was a good plan

Yeah, learning dwarf fortress is less like learning a game than it is learning a new language. A language where you can read stories about how your cat obsessed dwarf has adopted every cat in the fortress and he is followed by a swarm of fur whenever he marches into battle. Or that time your pregnant spearman gave birth mid-battle and used the baby like a club to beat off the rest of the goblins.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Started playing GTA 5 again. I planned a heist, and needed a getaway car for that. After stealing some cars I found one that could do the job, and called my contact. He told me to go put it in an underground parking lot and call him back. I get there, park the car and get out. I expect my character to make the phone call, but nothing happens. After walking outside, he suddenly starts calling. He waited, because there's no reception in underground parking lots.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Been playing Dark Souls 2 recently, I opted to use one of the items that makes you human again just before the flexible sentry boss, after I had tons of close class and nearly died so many times, I mean I should have died so many times but didn't, beat like 6 bosses, got through some devious combat scenarios and lived.

Then I died running across a bridge cause a plank was missing from it.

All that poo poo and I die to a loving bridge.

:darksouls: indeed.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

beedeebee posted:

Started playing GTA 5 again. I planned a heist, and needed a getaway car for that. After stealing some cars I found one that could do the job, and called my contact. He told me to go put it in an underground parking lot and call him back. I get there, park the car and get out. I expect my character to make the phone call, but nothing happens. After walking outside, he suddenly starts calling. He waited, because there's no reception in underground parking lots.

On a similar note, waypoint GPS tracking on the minimap will cut out when you drive through tunnels.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I love how in Dark Souls 1, when you beat Oreos and Smores the rest of the game feels kinda easy in comparison. It really makes you feel like you've come a long way when you realize that the areas would've taken you at least three times as long if you went straight for them at the start of the game.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

umalt posted:

I love how in Dark Souls 1, when you beat Oreos and Smores the rest of the game feels kinda easy in comparison. It really makes you feel like you've come a long way when you realize that the areas would've taken you at least three times as long if you went straight for them at the start of the game.

On the other hand, this would be better if the bosses after cookies and cream didn't suck. For something that actually fits in this thread, I love how in Metroid Prime you can see Samus' eyes after a flash of light, and how each of the types of beam have little things going on if you're idle.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mr E posted:

On the other hand, this would be better if the bosses after cookies and cream didn't suck.

I dunno, I liked most of the bosses after Snorlax and Pikachu. The Bed of Chaos sucked, but everything else was good, even if DS2 outdid both Nito and the Four Kings.

EDIT: And I'll defend the Bed of Chaos in theory, if not in practice. It's an interesting use of the game's mechanics.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 02:33 on Aug 14, 2014

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

poptart_fairy posted:

This is Fergus Reid

I love this guy. He called someone a "doss tube" and gently caress if I know what that means, but I laughed like an idiot.

Another part I like about the new Wolfenstein is all the little easter eggs, like IDKFA on one of the wall in the hideout, the Quake 3 rocket launcher keychain, and the first level of Wolfenstein 3D though that one isn't really hidden.

Also, if you would have told me that you'll be doing LSD with Jimi Hendrix in this game, there's no way I would have believed you.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
OFF is a really weird and depressing game but I like that the first boss (Dedan) spontainously rips open his trench coat between the end of the conversation with him and the start of the fight.

Mortis Ghost, the creator, mentioned that some of his biggest inspirations were Killer7 and Earthbound. I think there's a number of games that have tried to capture that feeling, but OFF really does it well.

Babe Magnet posted:

I was looking up Otogi recently because I remembered it being one of my favorite games, and I made the shocking discovery that it was published by the same people that published half of my favorite games from back in the day. Echo Night, Chromehounds, Tenchu, Otogi, and King's Field.

Basically From Software keep publishing games I like a whole bunch.

Lost Kingdoms 2 is pretty great, also.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

SR4 talk was a few pages ago, but one thing I really enjoyed was the romance "system". Virtually all of them are just quick jokes before the characters gently caress, except the one with Johnny Gat. I like how they built the romance option up as a joke the whole game only to use it at the very end for some honest character development.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Ryoshi posted:

I know I'm late to the party on this one (and it seems like a lot of people didn't like it, but whatever) - I just plowed through Bioshock: Infinite and really loved every second of it.

I went into it completely blind other than vague notions of a flying city. I was pretty unimpressed with the first Bioshock outside of the art direction, skipped the second one, and only picked up Infinite during the holiday Steam sale on the recommendation of a friend.

The art direction for Columbia was even better than that of Rapture, and the way the game builds up to the ending is stellar. It was a really well-polished game pretty much all around.

It's a shame, you skipped the best Bioshock game.

No seriously, Bioshock 2 is essentially an underwater Doom game and it's fantastic. Infinite and the first game are too stuck up their own rear end to remember to be fun.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Dead Blue Sky posted:

Also, if you would have told me that you'll be doing LSD with Jimi Hendrix in this game, there's no way I would have believed you.

Welp I'm sold.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Mr E posted:

On the other hand, this would be better if the bosses after cookies and cream didn't suck. For something that actually fits in this thread, I love how in Metroid Prime you can see Samus' eyes after a flash of light, and how each of the types of beam have little things going on if you're idle.

God the level of detail in Prime was so good. In regards to the arms cannon, each one has a hand symbol attached to it, it's very easy to not notice at all but when you use the X-ray visor and look at your beam cannon hand, you realize the hand symbols are how her hand is controlling the beams. She changes her finger positions when she switches between beams.

It took me like 3 playthroughs to even notice that.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Going into another playthrough of Skyrim recently. I still like that, if someone's visibly holding your arrows for you and you get the option to loot them, said arrows will no longer be sticking out of the corpse of who/whatever you shot up.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Also, you get to keep the arrows that enemies shoot into you.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Dead Blue Sky posted:

When does this happen? I must have completely missed it.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

LoonShia posted:

Also, you get to keep the arrows that enemies shoot into you.

This also works in reverse. I've been shot with my own arrows a couple of times.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

lenoon posted:

I think that depends on which person you choose to save early on.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

lenoon posted:

If you choose Fergus, you get the woman with autism. If you choose Wyatt, you get Jimi Hendrix.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They never actually come right out and say it (which might have something to do with the fact that his family is fairly litigious) but it's blatantly obvious who he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Febreeze posted:

God the level of detail in Prime was so good. In regards to the arms cannon, each one has a hand symbol attached to it, it's very easy to not notice at all but when you use the X-ray visor and look at your beam cannon hand, you realize the hand symbols are how her hand is controlling the beams. She changes her finger positions when she switches between beams.

It took me like 3 playthroughs to even notice that.

What sucks is that as good as Metroid Prime: Trilogy for Nintendo Wii is, this is gone.

Because of the changes they had to make to go from control via a Gamecube controller to a Wiimote, you aren't able to look down at your arms anymore. :(