Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Sarah/Marinette - The world took something from you, and gave you the power to reshape it in return.

You know, I thought about talking about Loss for a bit with you, like you know the usual questions, I suppose. What was the other side like? Do you know why you were rejected to be here? Stuff like that, and then like I realized that is exactly what I thought about myself. I'm not sure if you want questions to that, I know I don't so I will skip that part. I'll ask you something that I kinda wonder myself, well two things.

What do you intend to do with what you have been given back? I mean, you now are back here alive. So many people would give anything to have that happen, so what are you going to use it for?

Second question, I have is more about being different and being teased, now that you are who you are supposed to be, do people still tease you? I mean I think you look cute! I know in a town like this though they can't understand really anything different. I mean, I got hell for just being awesome. So are you going to take your revenge on those assholes? If so, give me a call. I wouldn't mind using my fists a bit.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Mr Tastee posted:

Were-ogre. Like from Shrek.

As in standard Werewolf powers and all, just reskinned so that instead of becoming a wolf-man you become an ogre (do you specifically mean the green Shrek-style ogre, or what?)

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Yes to both.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
I'd think making it specifically the green Shrek-style ogre is too much, but I wouldn't have any problem with a werewolf reskinned to be an ogre out of myth and legend, that a human can turn into under specific circumstances.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Alright. I'll set to work on that.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
More questions! None for Jenny or Lem yet because I don't want to swamp them while they still have some unanswered ones.

First Question
Hiroko: What do other people think about your family? Have there been any rumours about past generations, and how all your uncles and aunts mysteriously died before adulthood?

Marinette: What was the worst thing a student at your old school did to you? How did you react?

Second Question
Shelly: How important is the Agency to you, and how do you plan to keep contact with them (and they with you) during your current… causality crisis?

Sarah: So obviously, finding out how to deal with that creepy refinery and the dog-things that killed your dad is a goal of yours, but aside from that, what things are really important for you to achieve?

Third Question
Tyler: So the people here are awful? Who’s the worst of them, and what did they do to you? What will you do to get revenge?

Evie: You say you’ve never seen someone make it past the rumours, but we both know that’s plausible deniability, there’s always people out there with more ‘courage’ than sense. Maybe here, maybe back in Chicago, someone pushed you too far. Their own fault, I know, but they’re no longer among the living. What happened?

Lily: Your dad seems to be worried about you using your powers too obviously… has there ever been a time where your power use has backfired on you? Have any of your father’s ‘quests’ for you backfired?

Walt: I swear, my lips are sealed. I wouldn’t want to piss off an eight-foot guy from the forest… but how do you plan to deal with your secret twin? That can’t be hidden forever, right? What happens when people find out?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Axe-man posted:

You know, I thought about talking about Loss for a bit with you, like you know the usual questions, I suppose. What was the other side like? Do you know why you were rejected to be here? Stuff like that, and then like I realized that is exactly what I thought about myself. I'm not sure if you want questions to that, I know I don't so I will skip that part. I'll ask you something that I kinda wonder myself, well two things.

What do you intend to do with what you have been given back? I mean, you now are back here alive. So many people would give anything to have that happen, so what are you going to use it for?

Second question, I have is more about being different and being teased, now that you are who you are supposed to be, do people still tease you? I mean I think you look cute! I know in a town like this though they can't understand really anything different. I mean, I got hell for just being awesome. So are you going to take your revenge on those assholes? If so, give me a call. I wouldn't mind using my fists a bit.

I'm pretty sure I was sent back for one reason: to take revenge on those assholes. But now that I'm in a different state, I suppose it'll have to wait. No worries, I've got time. Besides it sounds like there's plenty of assholes in this town to keep me busy. You're welcome to tag along; never hurts to have some backup.

As for the rest of my life, I don't really know. I don't really care to talk about rebirth or butterfly metaphors or any of that poo poo, but I guess I just live. I really haven't thought too much about it, you know? I figure I'll just get through high school then figure out where to go from there. And try to have some fun along the way, of course.

What about you? You gonna become some sort of pro athlete, or do you plan to get yourself a Chevy Impala and carry on the family business?

P.S. You're pretty cute yourself. :whatup:

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Walt: I swear, my lips are sealed. I wouldn't want to piss off an eight-foot guy from the forest… but how do you plan to deal with your secret twin? That can’t be hidden forever, right? What happens when people find out?

Walt, sighs heavily

I... I don't know. Something like that shouldn't exist, it needs to be destroyed, but no matter how much he disgusts me, he is still my family, and I cannot in clear conscience say I would be willing and able to kill my own brother, no matter how horrific he may be. And, there is the other problem.

My brother is unnatural, we have established that, yes, but I am unsure as to what I am dealing with here. Is he demon? Is he some sort of, alien? Is he just a fluke of nature, the jest of some cruel being with a maniacal sense of humour? If I only get, one chance to 'deal' with him once and for all, and I fail, the results could be catastrophic. I might be releasing something that will have horrible ramifications on more then just my family, the world is not ready to know that things like him exist. The best case scenario, the government, or someone else covers it up, and I get stuck in some lab that technically doesn't exist and prodded with sharp needles for the rest of my days, because I happen to be related to 'The Thing From The Forest'. Worst case, the masquerade, that separates the 'normal' world from the 'supernatural' starts to fall apart at the seams, and something like that will bring only bad news for everyone involved.

I truly don't know what I am meant to do when I know so little, and the one thing I loathe doing, is going in on something when I don't have all the important details. But I have an idea of where to start.

My father, I found very little of who he is, or, more worryingly, what he is, but if there is anything that might tell me just what kind of thing my dearest brother is, finding out who the father is would be a good start. Mother met him in this very same town, many years back. This is all I could get from my old home, Grandfather half the time was either asleep, or raving about nonsense, and Mother never talked about Father, she very actively tried to avoid conversations about him when I bought it up, until I eventually gave up asking, but I checked her dairy, she went to Madison on a business venture a few years back, and for some reason was late coming home for almost a week. When she came back, she was pregnant with us, and could not recall her 'missing week'. But there was at no point any record of any, 'secret rendezvous' with anyone before this, so I can conclude that something happened in Madison. If there is any place to go where I can start tracing back my immediate family tree, then here, where she disappeared all those years ago would be a good place to start.

But I would be lying if I said I wasn't afraid of what I might find.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 12, 2014

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Third Question
Tyler: So the people here are awful? Who’s the worst of them, and what did they do to you? What will you do to get revenge?

So, let's talk cliques! I've been in a couple in my time. At first, I was with the nerds, but I wasn't smart enough for them, and besides, I didn't have the patience for Star Trek or Lord of the Rings. (I liked the movies, though.) I hung out with the goths for a little bit; my fashion sense is still pointed a bit towards them. I got in a big fight with Terrence Morham, though, so I gave up on them, too. He still hates my guts to this day, and he'll find time to snipe at me. Sometimes I hang with Anita's friends. I've known her since I was little, and we get along pretty well. But her friends? Well... I wouldn't say she's embarrassed to be seen with me, but I just don't belong. So I guess I hang out with who you'd call the Wallflowers? We're a bunch of weirdos that don't really fit into any particular group. That's about all that unites us, though. I don't know most of their names, anyways. There's Alan Walker, who I'd hesitantly call the leader, too cool for most groups but not cool enough for the "cool kids;" there's Gang "Tiger" Chieng, not smart enough for the nerds, like me, only too awkward instead of too apathetic; Maylene Alieri, who used to be in the drama club until a prettier, more talented girl overshadowed her; and a bunch of other people who I vaguely know: the short girl that runs everywhere, the one guy (either "John" or "James") who always sits in a different desk each day, the huge tall guy who smells weird and hardly ever speaks, the girl who I'm pretty sure is high on something every day, considering how much she twitches and giggles softly to herself.

Now, as to the enemy cliques. Most of them don't bother me, so I'll run through the important ones. There's the bully club led by Melissa Coventry. She isn't abused at home or any of that flowery nonsense; she just hates everybody with a burning passion, and people like me are the only ones she can abuse with any amount of success. But she's chump change, really. A Binding on the days when she's on her period usually does the trick. There's the religious nuts, who I think I'd mentioned. Most religious people are all right with me (though I tend more towards the agnostic, humanist side), but Madison has this weird New Agey spiritual cult called the Church of Salt and Light that just freaks me out. They're not big, but they're aggressively evangelical, to the point of militant. They will find anything wrong with you and cry for you to "renounce your sinful ways and regain your flavor." They're annoying, especially if you're not doing anything bad but they bother you anyway. You know what's fun, though? Truthspeaking them. They hand out tons of leaflets, which are primo token material, so I just force them to reveal their sins to their friends. So, Salters. Annoying, but not a big deal. There's also Yvette's scary clique, but the less said about them, the better.

But there's one guy that really terrifies me, name of Casey. Don't know his last name, but I call him either "Flame" or "That Bastard." He's a total wild card. Might be in a clique, might be all alone. Good in classes, outspoken. Seems normal on the outside. What he is, though, is a compulsive liar, a sociopath, and a puppetmaster. He manipulates events, people, interactions, anything, just to create chaos. He convinced a teacher to think my paper was plagiarized. I don't know how he did it, because that paper was fine, but I could never make myself right with that teacher again, or any English teacher in the school, for that matter. He convinced the football team that their girlfriends were cheating on them. Not one football player and one girlfriend. All of them. And it worked! One girl was so upset that she chugged a bottle of pills and died. And somehow he pulled all of that without anyone suspecting him in the slightest. How do I know all of this, you ask? Remember how I said I call him "Flame?" That's because his magical profile is like a bonfire. It just screams, "Liar! Cheat! Monster!" Once I learned about that, I did some snooping, and I'm 95% certain he's the one behind those incidents. So I'm working on a plan to stop him for good. Binding him might help for a little while, but I can't sustain that forever. No, I need something much more permanent. What's more, I want to set him up the same way he set me up or those football players. It needs to be big, it needs to be public, and it needs to end him. It'll take a lot more than Binding or Truthspeaking to make it happen.

Casey is just a representative of what I meant by "awful," really. The students at Madison revel in superiority and deal in whispers. I'm lucky to have slid by as well as I have. Now, as I try to make a name for myself, as I try to become someone worth being, I may start to attract more whispers. I only hope the people I love don't get caught in the crossfire.

ActingPower fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 17, 2014

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Sarah: So obviously, finding out how to deal with that creepy refinery and the dog-things that killed your dad is a goal of yours, but aside from that, what things are really important for you to achieve?

You know before the whole dog thing and you know life changing event. I wasn't sure, I just was focused on winning and just beating everyone else. I mean as for goals, I just wanted to get out of high school go to college and see what happens. I'm not bad at all at school, and I mean I know how to work hard and focus. There were times when I was thinking of becoming something like a vet or something. Doctor that worked in low income areas maybe, helping people out and trying make the world a little better.

Now, I'm not sure. I mean I want to be out of high school, but other than people being assholes, I really didn't think like EVIL existed. Now, I do? How to I reply to that? I mean short term, I gotta do what I gotta do, but I mean what will that leave me. I've always really wanted to help everyone and just prove myself to the world, and I think like at school, that is my focus still. I can't forget what my dad and mom gave up for me.

My mom is now all alone and I know despite her yelling about my clothes and hair. (Sorry, I am going to straighten my hair, I am not a fan of the super curly look.) I know it would crush her if I like dropped out of school or didn't try my best. I want to do my best, that is important to me, and if it means I get to go to college and become a scientist or engineer and work for green peace or something so be it.

I mean the world isn't a nice place, everyone knows that, but true evil has to be fought. I didn't learn that from some book or some class, but it is what is right. I'm going to help it, and I mean if I am but a single person among everyone, I still change it. You just have to work harder and smarter. I mean I have thought of starting soup kitchens and the like instead of chillin around doing nothing, I haven't done it yet, but I mean I still am in a weird place.

Immediately, I mean I'm in the basketball team and track team, so that is keeping me occupied and I want to get the first in those. I'm going to knock those out the park. Then there is another concert coming up and Zoe and I are going to get in it. It is 18+ so we were thinking of using Zoe's Brother Marty to help us get in. I don't know what will happen with that, but either way, I already finished my homework for the month, since I always ask for it at the beginning of the term, and no tests in sight!

GoatLord posted:

What about you? You gonna become some sort of pro athlete, or do you plan to get yourself a Chevy Impala and carry on the family business?

P.S. You're pretty cute yourself. :whatup:

I know I don't know, I was thinking about going pro athlete, but I mean that is a lot of work and a lot of politics. Also have you seen the women's leagues? It is kinda disappointing to see how little they get covered or how sexualized they are. I don't know if I would want to work so hard and dedicate myself to one sport work so hard and the only thing any one remembers is that my butt looks good in short shorts. It is really kinda humiliating a bit to think about. I don't know if I could play into that system. I guess, I never met a sport I would be willing to put that up for you know?

Going Supernatural would be awesome, but I couldn't do that alone. I'd go crazy, btw, I love that show. Dean is my favorite really, no nonsense and likes to get poo poo done, but still has downtime! I guess it depends how good I am at this monster fighting thing you know? I mean, I kinda fell into it and it doesn't look like it really worked for my dad really good. I mean I gotta finish what he started, but I mean doing it forever? I don't know.

I kinda want to have a normal life a bit, but also don't. gently caress, why do I have think about this now?! I mean everyone kinda expects you to plan out your life the entire like fifty years or whatever and no one really knows what you mean and want. Like, my mom couldn't imagine not wanting to have kids and like being a house wife for someone! Blah, I'd rather kick rear end. Zoey and I could be roomies forever and just be awesome doing whatever we do.

Speaking of, you should hang out with us. We both think you are cute! We can hang out being bored and cute all together... also totes going to a concert.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 12, 2014

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Samantha McHale

You've heard the local legends, right? About how late at night, with the moon shining brightly in the sky, something stalks the forest, howling loud enough to spook the dogs in the next county over. Or maybe the one about the local game club, which makes a very clear effort to avoid hunting wolves. Heh heh, there's also Crazy George Walker, who supposedly was attacked by some sort of man-beast thing way back when he was a kid. He's always fun to mess with. Of course not all of those are true. After all, it's not like we make a habit of attacking people in the first place. Leaving them alive would just be downright stupid.

Our pack's been here for generations. Everyone has their perfect world. Madison was ours. Out of the way, and unnoticed by the rest of the world. Plenty of uncontested hunting ground. And you didn't have to worry about idiots walking around the woods when the pack is out on the prowl. Local suspicion and rumor saw to that. Yeah, things never got exciting around here, but that was the way I liked it. Then they went and built that drat school.

Now our perfect world had a nice huge crack in it. Suddenly, people could find Madison on the map. Foreigners... more like invaders, came in a swarm to our little town. People who didn't know the stories, who didn't know that this was werewolf territory and if they valued their necks, they'd stay away. Worst of all was my parents. They were actually happy about this!

"Oh, don't get all bent outta shape" My dad said. "Things'll calm down pretty quickly. Besides, now you can get a taste of the bigger world. Make new friends, maybe even find a pack of your own."

Ugh, I didn't need the bigger world. This one was good enough for me. And if the new kids were any indication, everyone in the bigger world were all assholes anyways. Still, they went ahead and pulled the strings to get me enrolled in the hell hole that would occupy the next few years of my life. I wasn't even in the drat place and I was already pissed as hell. Guess the first thing to look up is how many full-contact sports this place teaches.

pre:
Werewolf
Look: Feisty, Predatory Eyes
Origin: Born a Wolf

Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile 2, Dark -1

Moves

Primal Dominance
When you harm someone, take a String on them.

Bare Your Fangs
While you are your Darkest Self, you may use Volatile instead of Cold to shut someone down or hold steady

Sex Move

When you have sex with someone, you establish a spirit connection with them. Until either of you breaks that
spirit connection, by having sex with someone else, add 1 to all rolls made to defend them. 
You can tell when that connection has been broken.

Darkest Self 

You transform into a terrifying wolf-creature. You crave power and dominance, and those are earned
through bloodshed. If anyone attempts to stand in your way, they must be brought down and made to
bleed. You escape your Darkest Self when you wound someone you really care about or the sun rises, 
whichever happens first.

Your Backstory

You lack subtlety. Give a String to everyone.  

You’ve spent weeks watching someone from a distance. Their scent and mannerisms are unmistakable to you now. 
Take 2 Strings on them.

George Walker

I guess every town has one, but Georgy is the resident crazy. The man is ancient. Hell, he was old before my parents had even met. And from what they tell me, he's just as batshit now as he was back then. Give him a breath and you'll get to hear all the local stories and then some. I think the worst part about it is when you hear him talking about something you know is true. He gets most of the details wrong, but there's always the feeling that he knows exactly what he's saying. Like he knows he's wrong, but he does it on purpose to keep you off balance. loving terrifies me when he does that.

Mchale's Irish Pub

Dad's business, and I guess you could call it the ancestral home. What, did ya think we lived in the woods or something? Don't be a dumbass. Dad's side of the family has passed that place down ever since the city was first settled. And it was a great place to be until recently, mainly cause it had no competition. On any given day you saw almost everyone in town. Now you got new nightclubs and poo poo springing up, baiting old faces away with whatever piss they try to pass off as drink. Needless to say things are tense around the pub. Though if there is an upside, help has never been easier to find. I still tend the bar there when they need me, or when I'm bored, or when I want a bit of spending money.

Getting what I have up while I still have power.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 13, 2014

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Genevieve Jenny: Ow, that sounds awful... have you had any good times over your undeath? Happy, fond memories?

Bittersweet, mostly. I can't really help getting into relationships, is the thing. Sometimes they end actually bad, and then a lot of times there I die in some new and interesting way, like the time in St. Albans, but usually... usually I just have a nice sweetheart sort of deal with some boy (or, sometimes, a girl), and then over the summer after graduation I die again, and by the time fall comes around the beau's gone off to college and doesn't remember me at all, like everyone else, and it's back to square one.
Initially there was a lot of hate and anger, and I tended to drown people in the river (there are fragments of my legend floating around even now) along with myself. Then there was a long period of reflection and wandering. Then I sort of settled into a rhythm, after the war, as schools started to become more formalized and comprehensive.

It was the late 70s when I met this guy, Joseph Fielder. Jenny and Joe, sweethearts from sophomore year. It went really nice. Joe was a great guy, smart, funny, was going to take over the family business as a carpenter, small arts stuff like cabinets and boxes and little statues, and summer after our senior year, he proposed. It was selfish of me, I know, but I accepted. Where was the harm? We could be together a while longer, and by this point I could get a feeling when things would go south, so I'd know how to keep him out of it. Then there wouldn't be a record, and he could go on, and... well, it wouldn't hurt anything, I thought.
Then summer came. And then... it went. On past July, when the drowning would always happen again, into August and September, and then it was Christmas, and then spring, and still nothing had gone wrong.
Then we had little Joseph junior (Mark, actually), and that was really nice, and then things just... evened out. I'd long stopped doing creepy things like swimming through walls and the like, just a normal 20 year old girl at this point. Mark was starting to walk, I was staying in touch with friends from school, and I'd started relaxing.

So, in answer to your question, that was one of the good times. Part of me wishes I hadn't let my guard down, but another part's happy I didn't spoil it worrying constantly.
It was the dumbest thing, too. We'd gotten in arguments before, especially when the baby had been really young, but somehow gotten through them, and then one day Joe and I are screaming at each other over something stupid, just some money thing, and something in me snaps, and for the briefest moment, just a split second, I actually wanted him dead. Apparently that was all it took.
I read in the paper how an unmarried carpenter had been found dead in his apartment, mysteriously drowned. No other bodies.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Jenny/Shelly - one from the past, one from the future, both with perspectives that 'present' people can't ever really experience.

Shelly, I've got to say, the more things change, the more they stay the same. I mean, sure I've got one of these smartphone things, and that's neat, and clothes have gradually gotten much more comfortable, but socially? People still mess with each other the same way, still have the same emotions and stresses.
But I wonder whether that's just my mind playing tricks on me. I'm not sure.
What do you think? What's love like in the 31st century or whenever?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Question 1:

Samantha: Hey Samantha, or would you prefer Sam? You make it sound like this is your first time going to a school with other people! Were you homeschooled? What was that like? If not, tell us something interesting about the elementary school you went to!

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Marinette: What was the worst thing a student at your old school did to you? How did you react?

Ugh. OK, first of all, gently caress you for making me think about this.

So one day during lunch, just after I'd gotten me food, I was heading to my usual corner of the cafeteria, minding my own business, and this guy, Blaine Colins, 'accidentally' bumps into me, knocking my tray of food to the floor. Now if it had ended there, it would just be another Wednesday. But no, Blaine decides to body check me into the wall, and him and three of his friends surround me. The poo poo they said isn't worth repeating. Then one one of them grabs my arms, another pins me against the wall, and the other two start pulling my pants down (underwear included.) Once they're off Blaine takes them, runs out the back door, and throws them on the roof. And you know what everyone else in the cafeteria did? Not a goddamn thing. No, excuse me, some of them pulled out their phones and recorded it.

But you wanted to know what I did. Well, in order, I went to pick up my tray, cried, begged them to stop, cried some more, went to my locked to fashion my coat into a makeshift skirt, walked the 3 miles to home in the middle of the day, and didn't go to school for the rest of the week. And then about a week and a half later I cut my loving wrists open.

You happy now?

Of course, what I should have done is staked out Blaine's house and broken his loving kneecaps, maybe chained him by the neck to a tree. But, you know, hindsight is 20/20 when you're back from the dead.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Question 1:

Samantha: Hey Samantha, or would you prefer Sam? You make it sound like this is your first time going to a school with other people! Were you homeschooled? What was that like? If not, tell us something interesting about the elementary school you went to!

Sam's fine, I don't have a preference. And yeah, it sort of is my first time I guess. Definitely my first time with so many others. There's an elementary school around here, but that was for the other kids in town. I didn't really have much of a choice when it came to my education. You think it's hard for a grown werewolf to control herself? Try being a five year old with the power to rip apart anyone who annoyed you. So my mom and grandpa were sorta stuck with making sure I knew our place in this world and what exactly a world was.

I wouldn't call those the worst days of my life. I'm having to go to an actual school now, aren't I? They were definitely boring as hell though. Most of the time was spent on history. Specifically the history of the pack and what being a werewolf meant in relation to normal people. That was fun sometimes, but the best lessons were when I got taken to the woods to hunt. Sometimes I'd get overeager and scare off dinner, but since I was still learning, grandpa would just find something new for us to take down.

Not gonna lie, I thought the lessons would never end. Even when they stopped teaching me for the day, there were so many rules to follow. Don't get in any fights, no staying out after sunset unless it's with the pack, blah blah blah blah. I guess little me needed to remember all those rules, but it made life loving miserable. I couldn't even play any sports with the other kids til I got older and had something resembling self-control. Not that getting older made dealing with them any easier. loving puberty.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

zachol posted:

Shelly, I've got to say, the more things change, the more they stay the same. I mean, sure I've got one of these smartphone things, and that's neat, and clothes have gradually gotten much more comfortable, but socially? People still mess with each other the same way, still have the same emotions and stresses.
But I wonder whether that's just my mind playing tricks on me. I'm not sure.
What do you think? What's love like in the 31st century or whenever?

You know, that's a really depressing thought. Probably has something to do with you being dead. Was that offensive, sorry! I didn't mean it like that. Uh, hmm. Well, I guess you're pretty much right about emotions, I mean, like I said earlier, people started getting into movies again, I dunno why cuz our virtual reality experiences are basically the same thing, but more realistic? So, I guess people still think and act in a lot of the same ways, even then.

Though, society is a lot easier for socially lacking people. You can lose yourself in a fake world a lot easier than people do with your World of Starcraft or whatever it is, but like, picture .....uh..... The Sims? Except you ARE one of the Sims. And you're controlling your Sim Self, and the rest of the Sims? Does this example work at all? So instead of getting over someone and moving on, or making friends, whatever the problem is, a lot of people just get trapped obsessing over their first crush, or their dead parent, whatever. Actually that sounds kind of like y-uh, Did that answer your question? My turn!

So, Jenny, are you just like, dead forever? Or can you pass on if you reach ~inner peace~ or something? Oh man, are you like... still here, when I'm from? Okay, okay, if you're around in 3193, come find me, and say hi! Uh, say.... "I GREET YOU, FROM MY PAST AND YOUR FUTURE!" Then in a minute I'll totally remember that happening and thinking you're some weirdo. And then when I get back I can say hi. And we can talk about old times.

That wasn't my question! So, you've been stuck for here for ages then? I can't even imagine that, it must totally suck. Like, I've been stuck here for, I dunno, a month? And I'm already getting a little stir-crazy. I know you mentioned that you went off exploring for a while, but otherwise you've been trapped here? What makes your li-uh... What makes your ....death.... worth .....death-ing? I mean, why bother going through the motions? Why not just stay at .. home? Or the movie theater or something, and just watch movies all day? Basically, how do you deal with the monotony of the same life year after year, and why do you do it?

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Shelly: How important is the Agency to you, and how do you plan to keep contact with them (and they with you) during your current… causality crisis?

They're super important! Its my job, and it's basically the best job ever. Travel everywhere, anywhere, everywhen, even. Plus, everyone knows that the Agency is the only thing that keeps your life together when you go time traveling, if they didn't exist we'd all vanish and be replaced with canadians or giant bugs. Or something. I made that up. We aren't really sure exactly what'll happen, since.... if it did, it wouldn't. But we've tracked like.... temporal ripples, that we can only assume were time travelers that messed something up and then vanished entirely from time.

As for contact, well, pretty much everyone back home has these, I guess Cybernetic Implants, the optical nerves are a common one, haptic feedback skin suits, hyperlink connections, that sort of thing. So, pretty much everyone can connect to the internet with their mind. It was pretty dangerous for awhile when hacking with a big issue, but its gotten a lot safer now. Anyway, using that and the vortex in my time machine, I can connect back up to our timeline and communicate with the HQ.

...Normally. Right now with it being all busted, the connection is pretty poo poo, I can get messages though, sometimes, and sometimes I can even get replies back. But its all scratchy like a bad radio signal, and it doesn't usually work. Otherwise, we have to use more old fashion techniques. We have a bunch of 'drop sites' littered around the country, plus some on the internet in 'dead' forums and all you have to do is leave a message there, (in a way that'll last if you use a realspace spot) and then in the future, the organization will access it, read it, then send someone back to before you sent it for someone to leave a reply, that you'll then get as soon as you leave the message. Time travel can be a bit confusing. But it works!

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Lemuel: Does anyone else know what you think of the town? What do they think (or if they don't know, what would they think)? If they think differently to you, what makes you certain you're right and they're not?

First of all, I know I'm right because I'm the one that sees it. There's no mistaking the feeling of the ground, as if it's more hollow down there than usual, because underneath is an ethereal swamp of sin. There's no denying that.

But, remember what I was saying about vagrants and the underpass? Well there's this guy who goes by Blue Moonie and panhandles in the middle of town. I felt bad for him and bought him a hamburger one time, then we got to talking. He drinks, so I know he's not completely pure, but he said something like, 'The town gets nasty at night. It's completely unrecognizable.' So that got me going, and I spilled the beans. And he said, 'You've seen it too?'

When he blacks out from taking swills of the cheap liquor, he can look in on the world of sin, only he's not really there. He just watches the world as it really is, and watches me fail in there. When I tire out, he... he's the one that picks me up and takes me home.

Well, I say home, but... I mean the couch in the dorm's lobby.

So, uh, don't tell anyone. I don't actually stay at the dorms. I prefer to live on the streets, really. I told the school I have a home here, but really the town itself is my home. I just want to see the best it can be, y'know?

And I like cooking breakfast for the dorms once morning comes. It makes it look like I belong here, and I can get to know people.

Oh, and I told Old Man Walker too, but you could probably guess he believes whatever anyone says. Sometimes I listen to him just to make sure his stories are told, and because I don't think I could interrupt him without sounding rude. He's a nice guy, he really is. You just have to read between the lines a little to understand that.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Tyler/Lem - You're both natives of the town, right? Bet you have plenty to talk about.

I'm sure we do.

ActingPower posted:

Madison isn't all that bad. What's there to like? What keeps you here, even if you do think it's a wretched hive of scum and villainy?

To me, Madison represents a world of broken dreams. People like my mom come here when what they really wanted to do bottomed out underneath them. And yet, despite all that, I find that the people of Madison have an honest sense of cheer. Come out to the harvest festival sometime (September 18, tell your friends) and see the genuine energy that everyone exudes. Stop by during our Christmas celebration, which pretty much lasts from the day after Thanksgiving 'til Groundhog Day, and see the life and joy that fills the air. It is magical. During that time, I feel so glad that I have to wonder why I would ever want to leave. Then the rest of the year rolls around, and I remember.

Or maybe we don't.

That's just it; I don't think it's a hive. I don't! But the town itself seems to believe it. But I walk the streets all the time, and not just the ones that people want to go down, and all I see are people with potential, people who feel like this town will give them what they need in life. Sure, some of them are blights to me, but if you asked the town it'd say everyone's a blight because they came here at all. That's why it gets so messed up at night, I think. I mean, I'm just stretching what I've seen, but I think... the town wants to be clean, and everybody just turns their nose to the filth instead of trying to clean it up.

But I have a better perspective than most people, so take that as you will.

quote:

Is there anyone here that you'd consider up to your level? Or is 'nobody righteous, not even one?'

I'm disappointed in a lot of people that they don't see things the way I do. Not angry, just... I don't know. They've lost their innocence before even stepping foot here, for the most part. But I grew up here, and I kept clean and kept my little niche of the town clean. I think there is someone capable of seeing things like I do, but they're either too far away or too far gone to help. That's why all these new students coming in will really help: somewhere in the country there's got to be one person who comes to Madison and sees what could be instead of what we get. And then they can see where the town's headed and actually help with things. We could walk door-to-door, just fixing the sin however we can. But I'm just one guy, y'know? By the time I got to the second building, someone would dirty up the first one. I need people with as much presence as me, who can help me in the night.

So, Tyler. If you're so down on Madison, what are you doing to fix it? Why don't you find somewhere else to ruin with your selfishness if Madison doesn't suit you? Because I'd like to think I'm making a difference, while you're just levitating pencils and stealing jewelry.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 16, 2014

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

GodFish posted:

So, Jenny, are you just like, dead forever? Or can you pass on if you reach ~inner peace~ or something?

For a long time I thought I was trapped in hell. We had a really... imaginative sort of priest, who would talk about your personal experience of hell, how it wouldn't be just fire and brimstone but instead the worst thing imaginable by and for you, what would make you suffer the most. It was like... having a second chance, getting the opportunity to correct my mistakes, and then still failing. Drowning. Over and over and over.
I'm still not sure I'm not in some personalized hell. It would be a very well designed one if it was. But, talking with other people and ghosts and other things, what I think is... well, from what I can tell, it's more that I'm an echo than the real "soul" of Genevieve Baker. Whether there's hell or heaven or whether there are souls or not, wherever that real Genevieve Baker is, I'm something else. Asking why I keep doing what I'm doing is like asking why the leaves rustle in the wind. There's no why, because there's no choice, it's just what happens.

I, and I mean "I" as this thing, whatever this ghost is, am lucky. I can think and wander, and my "loop" is very long. Other ghosts are usually on a much tighter leash and a much shorter loop, just experiencing the same grief over and over, sometimes every single night. But on the other hand... I don't learn my lesson. I end up drowning every few years, and not just randomly or arbitrarily, but through my own drat fault. Without fail, I go to the beach, or take a long bath, or wander over to a drat bridge over a river and stare like a moth looking at a flame, and then it happens, and it's terrifying and painful every single time, like it's never happened before, never happened dozens and dozens of times before.
That's what I mean when I say there's something missing. I get memories, but I don't learn. Every time I fall in love, the first time after coming back, it's like the first time it ever happened. Maybe that's a blessing, that I won't get bored, that I get to experience the good things fresh again too, but... yeah, I'm tired.
I've seen ghosts pass on before. Solve what's holding them back, let them find peace, and then they can go. But I still haven't figured out what that'd mean for me.

That said, classes are actually hideously boring. Some things I don't learn, or retain I guess, but math? Science? History? English, where they've had us read the same drat books for sixty years?? Aaarrrrghh.
Anyway, I'm a very good artist. Margin doodles are the only way I keep my sanity.

Shelly, I do have to ask, how old are you? And I guess more interestingly, how many lives have you led? If it's too many, only count the ones lasting at least a week, maybe.

zachol fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 13, 2014

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Evie: You say you’ve never seen someone make it past the rumours, but we both know that’s plausible deniability, there’s always people out there with more ‘courage’ than sense. Maybe here, maybe back in Chicago, someone pushed you too far. Their own fault, I know, but they’re no longer among the living. What happened?

Look, words hurt. I can't be blamed for every prissy little bitch who can't take a joke. Back home, where I picked up most of my game, some stuck-up little choir girl named Holly Moore threatened to rat me out, talking about how drugs were bad and that I was poisoning people and a bunch of other poo poo. Well, Holly had to go, and we all knew it. I tried the usual, getting everyone to think she's a hypocrite, a whore and a druggy just like the rest of it. But that didn't catch. I'll admit, if it wasn't so goddamn pathetic to fight for a drug-free campus, I might even have respected the bitch. She kept on coming, even got one of the boys arrested for a little while. The gloves came off right there, no more kids games.

Found out this Holly had a crush on one of my secret clients, and that this guy was hooked. I used that to set up a meeting up on a romantic cliff-side, one where we spiked her drink with some high-quality vodka, some other things to get her loopy. Then I made out with her boy and made her watch, the whole thing. We would've gone further, but she was already a wreck. Then, I didn't use my fists to hurt her, I just pushed her along. Told her that I got her boy, I got her drunk and she's never going to win. With all the drugs in her system, her crying just got worse, and I just gave her a perfect solution. She wouldn't have to deal with her sad, sad life anymore. All she had to do was jump, and all her pain would go away. No one would know she was a hypocrite, who loved a man who would never love her, just end all that pain.

Some people said I gave her a more literal helping hand. I don't care what they say, though, they can't pin it on me but they can talk about me like I'll kill one of them too. I'm just a crazy bitch like that sometimes, and that fear? That's power.

Speaking of that, Hiroko, I heard you're the favorite in your family from your parents' point of view, but none of your siblings seem to agree. How are ya gonna keep them in line so that you can keep your spot at the top? How about keeping it so ma and pa still see you as their princess or whatever? I mean, I've got some suggestions if you're looking for help, but ya gotta get it done yourself unless you've got something for me.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

TheNabster posted:

Lily: Alright I let you see me when I forget myself. Now, how about a time you used your powers to help someone, for nothing in return. Not as some agent of self-righteous retribution, but in a non-violent, selfless manner. Is there such a time?
Whoaaaa, hold up -- you don't get to call other people self righteous, dude!

I'm going to be real here: I'm a goblin (Well, human-passing changeling it's complicated don't get me started). So, my powers are not of the "fix all the shoes and clean your house and make you a nice cup of tea in the morning!" variety -- that's hobgoblins, and seriously, screw those guys -- But anyway, the point is I am all about revenge and punishment and poo poo like that. But I can still help out my friends once in a while.

Let's talk about my girl, Cindy. Part of the reason that I was so pissed at her for backstabbing me over a boy of all things, is that we go way back. Me and Cindy, we went to elementary school together. We were best friends for over ten years. So, freshman year in highschool, you can imagine I was a bit concerned over her hooking up with this sketchy senior boy who had kind of a bad reputation. When they first started going out, I got him alone, and I told him: "Promise me that you'll treat her right." He just laughed me off, said "sure" like it was all a big joke. Too bad -- a promise is a promise, dickhead. He didn't treat her right. Yelled at her, put her down all the time, started trying to run her life. Cindy wouldn't dump his useless rear end, either, said she was ~in love~. Now obviously, I couldn't just let that stand. He made a promise, and it's not my problem that he didn't know what it meant.

Luckily for me, dirtbag boyfriend dealt drugs when he wasn't flunking classes or abusing his girlfriend. He might have been a loving loser who couldn't get anyone but insecure freshman girls to date him, but if you needed something in that school, he was the one you talked to. So I wait, and I watch, and I listen. And then one day, while he's walking right past the school liaison officer, I make his bag tear. And out falls all sorts of very interesting and not very legal things, right at the cop's feet. So, he's expelled faster than you can say "a promise is a promise", gets put up on charges. Pretty sure he's still in prison. And most importantly, Cindy got over him! Eventually.

I'm a fairy, not a miracle worker.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Lily: Your dad seems to be worried about you using your powers too obviously… has there ever been a time where your power use has backfired on you? Have any of your father’s ‘quests’ for you backfired?

Alright, let's do two birds with one stone.

Dad wants to get his hands on some ancient dragonslaying sword. Status symbol. Bragging rights. That kind of thing. It's in a museum, but only a rinky-dink 'we can only afford a renta-cop and a busted security camera' museum uptown. So, not too hard to grab the thing, right? Too bad it's made of solid iron!

Iron burns me when I touch it. Steel's cool to handle for whatever reason, but it's still kind of inconvenient at times. This was one of those times. So, I couldn't get this thing myself; I was going to have to get someone else to grab it for me. This guy, Andy, went to school with me, and had a convenient lack of scruples. Obviously, I can't say 'hey, my dad's the king of goblins and he needs that sword' or anything, but over the course of a week, I managed to talk him around to the idea of stealing it for me. Yeah, yeah, theft was wrong, but that thing had been stolen half a dozen times already, so it's not like the museum had any real claim to it. So, I secure a promise from him that he'll grab the sword and help me bring it where it needs to go, and so off we go to pull of the loving heist of the century or whatever. I distract the security guard, Andy goes in grabs the sword, he sneaks out with the thing in a dufflebag.

Then he refuses to give it to me. Like, he ditches me, then laughs in my face when I ask him about it later. Apparently he's some kind of fantasy geek, and just really thinks the sword is cool. Now, I'm kind of over a barrel here with my father, and this jerk has just broken his word to me. Maybe I overreacted. Maybe I should have thought things through a little better. Maybe I should have been more careful. But, come on! I looked it up! Your average house fire is not supposed to burn hot enough to melt iron! How was I supposed to know that Andy's family was keeping weird chemical poo poo in their garage, right where the rear end in a top hat stashed the thing?

Oh, don't look at me that way, no one was hurt, and they had insurance! Besides, I got enough poo poo for it from my father, who was pretty pissed about that sword getting all wonky. Actually, come to think, he was probably still mad about that when I pulled the whole 'breaking Cindy's arm on a busy street in broad daylight' thing. Ugh. You know what? Maybe it'll actually be nice up here, getting away from all this magic poo poo for a while.

Gazetteer fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 13, 2014

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

zachol posted:

Shelly, I do have to ask, how old are you? And I guess more interestingly, how many lives have you led? If it's too many, only count the ones lasting at least a week, maybe.

Why would you even need to ask that? I'm clearly the age of your average high school student. While talking, Shelly lifts her sunglasses and winks, mugging furiously, then drops them back into place and takes a long pull on her cigarette. But seriously, I'm probably only like a year and a half, two years tops older than you guys. Well. Except for you, since you've been around for ages.

The other question is a bit more interesting. Leaving off the short term ones, well, hmm. If we say I spend about... half the time preparing as I do in the roll, and maybe half the time in the roll decompressing afterwards, most longer jobs are somewhere from two weeks to about three months, and I've been doing it for about ... years, that'd be like... hang on, but only like half the total time is actually in the present, so.... maybe 40?

I'd have to check my official record to be sure, but that sounds about right. A lot of the time it's just something simple like making sure someone gets stuck in traffic, or that a book is stuck an inch out of the bookshelf so it catches their eye, and that usually doesn't require much cover at all, just a plausible bits of information encase I get stuck talking to someone.

I think the biggest one I had was back in, oh, the late 1950s? I was moonlighting as a senators aide, and I had to arrange a whole bunch of people into meeting each other at the right place at the right time, all to get some law passed that would lead to a factory getting shut down that would force someone working there to join the army and serve in Vietnam which blahblah, you get the picture. That one was a big enough job that I was working with like, eight other Agents, and I had to learn a whole bunch of background information and all the stuff an actual aide would know. It suuuucked, and took like, six months.

You might like this other one, it wasn't as major (a lot of the time several different things could happen to get the same result, and we usually try for the easiest first), but there was a soldier in the First Global Balkan Con-uh, that'd be World War 1 for you guys, yeah? -anyway, there was a soldier who was injured and in a medical facility, who falls in love with a nurse. Common story, right?

Well, something was going wrong, and the nurse isn't there, or the he isn't falling in love with her anymore, we don't know. Probably some minor domino that got knocked over earlier on messed it up. But the thing is, he ends up writing a book about it, which later on gets turned into a movie, which inspires someone to become a nurse, who saves someone else's life later on by being in the right place at the right time. So, we're scrambling around trying to fix it, and I end up going there to fill in for the nurse, and I have to lead this guy into a 'whirlwind romance' and all that. And let me tell you, mmm, that guy was fine. You had real soldiers back then. And now for that matter. Actually, most soldiers look good. its the uniform-ANYWAY, I'm not going to go into any more details, but I read his book later on, and, even though I know its really about this lady I replaced, it was ....really moving, to have it written 'about' me. I cried a lot during the movie, too

I know he's dead in this time period, but I think he was from one of these states, so if I'm stuck here for awhile, I think I might go visit his grave.

...That sort of got off topic a bit. But I think I answered your question.

Jenny, you're this ghost thing, and you know that you're going to die like, every 4 years, or so. You mentioned earlier that you went a bit wild earlier on, drowning people a lot, but have you ever really let loose recently? Or if not, is there someone you -hold on, I totally know my contemporary films- went all The Grudge on in the past that really deserved it? Actually, do you know contemporary films? What do you do for fun, anyway?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Question 2:

Marinette: I'm sorry, I'm really sorry. :( Kids are cruel, but I swear, they're not as cruel as that in Madison! It's a 'second chance' kinda place! Do you have any hope for the future, and giving life a second go, or... just anger? (totally deserved anger, I know)

Samantha: So... what's living in a pack like? I mean, even if you've not spent much time outside of it, you must have seen TV or read books talking about human families, how does being in a pack differ from that? For that matter, what do outsiders think of your pack?

Question 3:

Shelly: So this town's boring as hell, compared to your own time - what do you do to try and have fun while you're stuck here... for however long that will be? Oh god, what if it takes years to fix your time machine? What if it can't be fixed?

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Rather Watch Them posted:

So, Tyler. If you're so down on Madison, what are you doing to fix it? Why don't you find somewhere else to ruin with your selfishness if Madison doesn't suit you? Because I'd like to think I'm making a difference, while you're just levitating pencils and stealing jewelry.

Now look who's putting words in whose mouth! I'm not down on Madison! I think Madison is a bucolic little town with a rustic charm. You're the one always talking about it like Rorshach from Watchmen. I, personally, solely for me, find it lacking. I, in my circumstances, never felt like I got a chance here. That's the danger of little towns like this. Every day here is exactly the same; it's like being trapped in a time loop. If you're in a good position, one that makes you happy, then every day is paradise. But if something's not right, it kinda stays like that unless something spectacular happens. And unfortunately, I'm not sure there's any way to change that.

But... selfishness?! I...erg...argh! I was dying, don't you understand?! I had nothing of value in my life, no one to help me, and no concept of anything better! There wasn't anything else but me! You can sit back all smug in your sense of perfection, but at least that was something! I had nothing! I tried to teach myself how to be happy, but children can't raise themselves. And one day, I just gave up, okay? There wasn't any point in trying to make something of my life, so I just gave up. From that point, every day was just fluff, meaningless padding until the grave. Maybe if you understood that position, you'd be better fit for trying to help people out of their darkness. But no, you think everyone's just lost their way, and if they could only remember. But what about people who never had a way to begin with? What about people who have only known filth their entire life and think that's the base level for clean?

You think you're so wonderful, but you know what you lack? Empathy. You want people to change without understanding the smallest particle of why they are that way to begin with. It's easy to say "stealing is wrong" from your high horse, but when you've been beaten up every day for months, maybe you start looking for something that can get you out of it. (I assume by "jewelry" you mean Melissa Coventry's hairbands, unless you really do mean diamond necklaces, in which case I'm going to have to ask you to step outside.) It's easy to shout "homosexuality is a perversion" like the Salters do when you've never felt the bliss of love or the horror at being something forbidden. And it's easy to say "all you are is selfish" when you've never seen why they had to be selfish to keep the darkness away.

So to answer your question, what am I doing to save Madison? There's an old poem I read once that I think you should see. It's called, "I wanted to change the world."

Anonymous posted:

When I was a young man, I wanted to change the world.

I found it was difficult to change the world, so I tried to change my nation.

When I found I couldn't change the nation, I began to focus on my town. I couldn't change the town and as an older man, I tried to change my family.

Now, as an old man, I realize the only thing I can change is myself, and suddenly I realize that if long ago I had changed myself, I could have made an impact on my family. My family and I could have made an impact on our town. Their impact could have changed the nation and I could indeed have changed the world.
So, Lem. You want to change the world? You want to make it some beautiful, glittery paradise? Start with yourself. Start small and work up. Make some friends (real ones, not just people you're trying to change) and start something good here. Then let that thing grow and grow until it's impossible to ignore. That's my plan, anyway. I'm teaching myself how to matter, bit by bit, until I can find my niche. Once there, I can begin to work in other people's hearts until they too share my vision. But you can't force it! You have to be a good example, not a disciplinarian.

The thing is, I think we both want the same thing. We both want to matter, and we both want to help people. We both hate evil, and we both want things to be better. Unfortunately, I'm just not in the right place yet to make things change, and, frankly, neither are you. You know what? Here's my deal. When I've pulled myself out of my weakness, I'll come looking for you again. If you've fixed your attitude to be a little more accepting and understanding, I will gladly help you however I can. But right now? Neither of us are ready.

(Oh, and for the record? Hypothetically, if there were such a thing as magic, and if, hypothetically, someone like me had it, they probably wouldn't be able to levitate pencils. It's only emotional manipulation or skill improvement, if such a thing actually existed, which of course it doesn't.)

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

GodFish posted:

Jenny, you're this ghost thing, and you know that you're going to die like, every 4 years, or so. You mentioned earlier that you went a bit wild earlier on, drowning people a lot, but have you ever really let loose recently? Or if not, is there someone you -hold on, I totally know my contemporary films- went all The Grudge on in the past that really deserved it? Actually, do you know contemporary films? What do you do for fun, anyway?

I don't really like doing that sort of thing if I can help it. Initially I was... very, very angry, at people and the world in general, and I took that anger out on people who didn't deserve it. I mean, nobody "deserves" to be killed, just that the people I was getting angry at hadn't even done anything at all, who just ended up in the wrong place.
The thing you need to understand is I was basically just in this blind rage. I didn't even really understand what was going on, everything hurt, and I lashed out at what I thought was causing it. It wasn't... "fun."
Nowadays that sort of thing only happens when I lose control, when I get so wrapped up into myself that I forget what's really happening or what I'm doing. People tend not to die anymore when it happens, which is really nice.

I watch movies, sure. I skip classes... kind of a lot, I don't sleep, and there are some late night movie places in town. Movies tend to be kind of boring, though, when you've watched their entire train of development. Half the time it feels like I've seen the movie before, you know?
Otherwise, for fun... reading? Go into the library when it's closed, sit down with a book, rinse and repeat. I mean it's not very fun but there's not much else to do. I used to knit a lot, when there wasn't a library. That's even more boring, since you're really just going to sit and think. Oh, I used to do that in the forest, and there got to be these stories about a ghost girl sitting in the branches, knitting cobwebs and old man's beard for the trees. That was kind of cute.
I use the internet a lot, recently. Been doing that at the library. Computers are neat, it was fun watching them develop. Sometimes I wander around town, look at people through windows while they sleep.
I mean, really, for "fun," it's mostly just hanging out with my guy (or gal, wink). I've gotten a lot better at sort of accepting its never going to last, but two or three years is still a lot of time to enjoy being with someone, you know? It's still fun.

Now, Shelly, I've read my Heinlein, and I've got to wonder about how those paradoxes really work. It seems like even knowing there's one to fix screws you up, because then if you fix it there's a paradox right there, automatically, about how that paradox you fixed isn't a paradox anymore, so why would you have fixed it?
Also, if you're waiting for repairs on your time machine, why can't your support crew zap in a new one now? Or use time travel to expedite the repair process? Or is it, like, each second you move forward here by also moves time forward at your base, so they couldn't do it any faster by bringing it back there?

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Butch Brühn

“You wanna know my story? Fine, but I’m only telling you this so you know who you’re dealing with.”

“A long time, back in the middle ages or around that time, there was this village in the hungarian countryside called Oghram. Decent enough place for that time, not any more or less filthy or disease-ridden than the rest of Europe. One day, this old man wanders into town. Just another guy looking for a place to rest, right? Stops into an inn, eats, gets ready for bed. Things are fine, right?”

“Well the innkeeper looks in his bags while he’s sleeping finds out he’s a warlock. Word spreads around over the next few days, and soon enough an angry mob gets formed. The warlock gets burned at the stake, but before they can finish, he places a curse on the villagers. Every villager and their descendants are doomed to turn into hideous flesh-hungry monsters on dark stormy nights, or whenever they feel overwhelmed with anger and hatred. And of course, he’s right. It’s a loving mess and nobody knows how he pulls it off.”

“So time passes. Oghram becomes a place for travelers to avoid so they don’t get eaten. It descends into myth, the myth becomes a fairy tale with some stupid moral tacked on to the end. Oghram gets lost to time. The villagers turn into the myth of ogres. Some move out of the village and try to conceal their origin. Some, not so much. Some choose to stay in the village out of fear. In any case, ogres spread.”

“Now my family, we emigrated to America generations ago. We managed to get by well enough as farmers in upstate New York. Only eat humans every once in a while, you know? And just because we’re farmers doesn’t mean we’re hermits, either. But enough about them, and more about me. I’m what you would call a ‘badass’. I’ve gotten into fights, I’ve smoked, I’ve drank, and I’ve done some pretty nasty poo poo to people, so long as they had it coming to them. And I’m still pretty drat smart, but surprisingly, not a lot of people seem to notice that part. My dad thinks I’ll ‘shape up’ if I go to this lovely prep school in Vermont. We’ll see how it turns out. Maybe I might eat someone somewhere down the line, if they bring up that loving movie.”

quote:

The Werewolf Ogre
Rugged, Fierce Eyes
Born a wolf an ogre.

Stats
Hot 1
Cold -1
Volatile 1
Darkness -1

Moves:
Scent Of Blood: Add 1 to all rolls against those who have been harmed in the scene already.
Unstable: When you become your darkest self, mark experience.

Sex Move:
When you have sex with someone, you establish a spirit connection with them. Until either of you breaks that spirit connection, by having sex with someone else, add 1 to all rolls made to defend them. You can tell when that connection has been broken.

Darkest Self:
You transform into a terrifying wolf-creature ogre. You crave power and dominance, and those are earned through bloodshed. If anyone attempts to stand in your way, they must be brought down and made to bleed. You escape your Darkest Self when you wound someone you really care about or the sun rises, whichever happens first.

Backstory:
You lack subtlety. Give a String to everyone.

You’ve spent weeks watching someone from a distance. Their scent and mannerisms are unmistakable to you now. Take 2 Strings on them.

Booster Gold’s
A local comic book shop/game shop/nerd gathering area. It’s popular among dorky youth and manchildren. Of course, it’s made some enemies as a result of having to ban certain individuals and behaviors. Some have taken a lot more ire to this than others.

Lyle Cavanagh
Like this guy. He was banned for trying to sexually harrass a young woman interested in wargaming. He and a group of others banned from the shop have been working to find a way to take down the shop. This mostly consists of trying to amass funds to start a superior shop, though rumors have been going around of more illegal plans going around...

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

ActingPower posted:

Every day here is exactly the same; it's like being trapped in a time loop. If you're in a good position, one that makes you happy, then every day is paradise. But if something's not right, it kinda stays like that unless something spectacular happens. And unfortunately, I'm not sure there's any way to change that.

When you've been beaten up every day for months, maybe you start looking for something that can get you out of it.

So, Lem. You want to change the world? You want to make it some beautiful, glittery paradise? Start small and work up. Make some friends (real ones, not just people you're trying to change) and start something good here. Then let that thing grow and grow until it's impossible to ignore.

The thing is, I think we both want the same thing. We both want to matter, and we both want to help people. We both hate evil, and we both want things to be better. Unfortunately, I'm just not in the right place yet to make things change. You know what? Here's my deal. When I've pulled myself out of my weakness, I'll come looking for you again. But right now? Neither of us are ready.

I'm sorry that you failed to convey your message correctly, and I'm sorry that you caused my confusion. I can see we're on the same page, though, so thanks for listening to me. We seem to have a lot more in common than you think.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Hmmm. I'm a bit hesitant to pair the werewolves off for questioning, are there any existing pairs that are out of juice, and want a new partner to talk to?

In addition, questions!
Question 1:

Butch: You said you'd eaten someone? Who were they, and what did they do to deserve such a fate?

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Rather Watch Them posted:

I'm sorry that you failed to convey your message correctly, and I'm sorry that you caused my confusion. I can see we're on the same page, though, so thanks for listening to me. We seem to have a lot more in common than you think.

(Out of character, but those are some impressive non-apologies there, RWT.) ;)

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

zachol posted:

Now, Shelly, I've read my Heinlein, and I've got to wonder about how those paradoxes really work. It seems like even knowing there's one to fix screws you up, because then if you fix it there's a paradox right there, automatically, about how that paradox you fixed isn't a paradox anymore, so why would you have fixed it?
Also, if you're waiting for repairs on your time machine, why can't your support crew zap in a new one now? Or use time travel to expedite the repair process? Or is it, like, each second you move forward here by also moves time forward at your base, so they couldn't do it any faster by bringing it back there?

Well, you got me, I don't know much more about it than you do. As best I can tell, the HQ has some kind of machine that monitors the timeline, and reports when things start going out of line, so they can send someone to go fix it. Also, there might be a sort of closed loop thing going on.

Like, you read the Harry Potter books, right? for some reason reading them was part of my cover In the third book, they go back in time, and save Buckbeak from being killed, then Harry saves himself from dying, right? But if he didn't do that, he would have died, so he never could have done it. So since it did happen, it could happen. So, our history still exists because someone went back to make that guy miss his train, and so once I did make the guy miss his train, the Agency knows that I have to go and make him miss his train? I don't know if this is accurate at all. But its a theory of mine.

As for the time machines, I think the main reason they aren't just pulling me out of here is sort of a double reason, the first is that having two active time machines next to each other can cause some problems, especially if one of them isn't working right already, but the main reason, is that time machines are super, SUPER expensive, and I think they don't want to leave one behind.

(As an OOC note, all of Shelly's time paradox knowledge comes from the Agency, and is probably completely wrong. I'm playing pretty loose with the rules, but at the least we know she can't stop herself from existing and being stuck here, aside from maybe killing her own ancestors, even if the situation around it changes drastically.

Depending on how Noun wants to take things, the truth might be that time can branch freely, and the Agency is really killing off as many branches as possible to stop time travelers outside of their control from appearing and messing with their timeline)

Okay, Jenny, you've lived here for 200 something years. Shelly shudders briefly at the though, then continues. Do you have a house? Or some place you call home? When you aren't reading or watching movies or on the computer. Oh! Whats your favorite video game? The graphics are pretty terrible, but I kind of like some of the really old games from this era. They have charm.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Shelly: So this town's boring as hell, compared to your own time - what do you do to try and have fun while you're stuck here... for however long that will be? Oh god, what if it takes years to fix your time machine? What if it can't be fixed?

A lot of the entertainment is a lot crappier, but there is still a good amount of fun I can have that I can't actually have back home. Like real sunsets, swimming, snowball fights, that sort of thing. I can experience them with a VR, but it isn't really the same thing, in the end. Also, I'd like to go visit historical locations while I'm here, and vacation destinations. So I'll probably just be trying to keep myself occupied like anyone else from around here does, plus traveling on vacations. Oh! Does this town have an arcade? I've always wanted to try a real arcade.

All I can say about the repair time, is it better loving not! I could probably... maybe... handle a year. Maybe. But I'm pretty sure I'd just go completely loving nuts if it takes any longer. And if it can't.... Well, assuming I survive the trauma, I happen to know someone from the Agency will be in New York City on July the 23rd in 2018, so I'll just head over there and get a ride home. Because if there's one thing I won't do, its stay in one place the rest of my life.

GodFish fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 13, 2014

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Marinette: I'm sorry, I'm really sorry. :( Kids are cruel, but I swear, they're not as cruel as that in Madison! It's a 'second chance' kinda place! Do you have any hope for the future, and giving life a second go, or... just anger? (totally deserved anger, I know)

OK, here's the thing you need to understand: It's been... different since I came back. It's hard to describe it really. It's not exactly anger, though that's there, yeah. It's more like this sorta all-consuming drive to gently caress poo poo up. To make them pay for what they did to me. To make the whole world pay for what they did to me. To make the world pay for being a places where those things can happen, and the people who do them can get away with it. To tear the whole drat stinking lie of civilization to the ground. And the anger just feeds into that sometimes, kinda rides the wave if that makes any sense.

And you know, when I'm in a quite place, and can take a deep breath and really look for them, all those other feelings are still there. The hope that things really will be in Vermont. The looking forward to a fresh start, looking forward to friends, more-than-friends, music, movies, video games, happiness, laughter, love. They're all there, if I look hard enough. But that Thing, that drive, is so much stronger, so much louder that it drowns everything else out.

And to make matters worse, there are other feelings: the insecurity, the fear, the depression, the dysphoria, the loneliness, the self-loathing. All those things that make it impossible to even function, that make me want to kill myself all over again and see if it sticks this time, those are all still there too. And it is so, so much easier to just ride that wave and let it drown all those feelings out.

Christ, that was hard to even talk about. You and your question are really bad for my mental health, you know that?

===================================

Crestview Theater

The oldest, and technically only, theater in Madison. It was built before movies were even a thing, but has undergone several renovations over the years. It only has the one screen, so if you want to see the hot new blockbuster you'll have to drive to the multiplex in the next town over. But tickets at the Crestview are cheap, and they make an effort of have a variety of relatively recent movies for the after-school matinee. And, of course, they still have a stage when they roll the screen up, so you can also catch community theater or the occasional concert. Sometimes Mad Prep even rents out the space for a guest lecturer; attendance is, of course, mandatory for all students.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

GodFish posted:

Okay, Jenny, you've lived here for 200 something years. Shelly shudders briefly at the though, then continues. Do you have a house? Or some place you call home? When you aren't reading or watching movies or on the computer. Oh! Whats your favorite video game? The graphics are pretty terrible, but I kind of like some of the really old games from this era. They have charm.

I'm sort of homeless. The thing is, my clothes kind of just switch when I'm not really paying attention, dirt and stuff just going away, and when it's two in the morning and I'm drifting through town, nobody notices me. I don't sleep or eat, either. Well, I can choose to, to maintain the cover, and it's still enjoyable, but I can also just sort of stand around moping in the forest for a couple years feeling horrible about everything and hunger doesn't become a concern. Also yeah, I did that, early on.
A few times I've ended up in a house, but it's generally someone else's. Twice a house sort of showed up on its own, which was... nice, I guess? No fake parents, different houses both times, different spots that were vacant before and after. But right now no house, just the library. Or school basement. Or woods.

Videogames... I kind of missed the earliest wave, but I was into arcades. I play a real mean Blanka. Most recently, still fighting games I guess. Smash Bros was pretty fun, easy to slip into and for a while a lot of kids in town played it. Good excuse to be in a big group.
I don't have my own computer, nowhere to put it, so no PC games, and I'm not super thrilled about shooters. Like, I've shot real guns, and been shot myself, more than a few times, it's kind of callous for kids to be playing soldier like that. People these days don't appreciate how peaceful they've got it.
Otherwise, mobile stuff. I had a gameboy for a while. Still have a DS somewhere. Harvest Moon is relaxing, good way to drain time.

Shelly, personal question. If you could do one thing over, just one, time stream be damned, what would it be?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

zachol posted:

Shelly, personal question. If you could do one thing over, just one, time stream be damned, what would it be?

I... I don't know. I don't have that many regrets, and I tend to play pretty fast and loose with connecting to people, because I know I'll never see them again, and a lot of the time I know how and when they die, which makes you see people in a totally different light.

I guess, maybe this isn't what I'd change if I could stop a war instead, but what really stands out, is I was in a private high school once, maybe a year ago (for me). Not for a long time, but I was playing one of the popular kids in the school (of course), and I had to be at the birthday party of one of the other popular kids to make a few absent minded sounding comments in front of his mom, who was an astrophysicists, which would lead her to making some great discovery.

That part went fine. But didn't was there was a girl in the same class, really cute, but shy and a huge nerd, basically the least 'cool' kid in the classes, and she had a crush on me. Not a big deal at first, but then she starts leaving love letters in my locker, and stuff. I just ignore it for awhile, but eventually one of the other popular kids sees one, and starts reading it out loud in the hall, while she was nearby. Everyone starts laughing, and since I had to keep up the act for the job, I joined in, and pulled out a few of the other letters for him to read.

Also, for a bit of context, this was in a school in the deep south, where being gay was basically the worst thing you could possibly be. Anyway, she runs off crying, and her parents got angry phone calls from the school about the gay agenda or something, and she ended up being transferred. So. If I was going to change anything, I'd want to stop that from happening.

zachol posted:

Most recently, still fighting games I guess.

I WILL DESTROY YOU. Actually I'm total crap at them, but I'd totally play them with you! Where do you play? Arcades just have such a great retro feel.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

There was a local one for as few years but it got consumed by a pizza mouse playland thing. Which then closed.
There's a bar with a classic SFII machine and some pinballs that's pretty great. Pool table too, which I was a fiend at. Two times in a row during the 60s, I ended up the leader of this hard-rear end bike gang. Lot of kicking the poo poo out of fuckwit rejects from upstate from the east, and days and days of shooting pool and drinking. poo poo, straight up years. My moods kind of drift, I mellowed a lot since then.
It's still really cute to take some hotshot kid out for pool, and he's played maybe twice in his life and thinks it's going to be easy, like he'll graciously let me win. Ha!
Ugh, men. Please tell me at least they get their poo poo together in the far flung future. It's like we've somehow got just as many hotshot punks today except they're all fatasses who lay on the couch all day. When I was alive, assholes at least could back up their bragging with some substance. Sure there were fat rich idiots then too, but sometimes now that seems like everyone.

Mmm, the gang thing was really fun. You haven't lived until you've broken a pool cue over the back of a man's neck, beaten him down to the ground, and shoved the broken cue into his chest and lungs so that they fill up with blood and he literally drowns in the back of an alley.
Like I'd never do that now because I'm just not that kind of person anymore, but at the time it was an amazing rush. It's weird, too, because I remember being almost overcome with grief and shock during the civil war for shooting some people then.
And of course there's all the people I've drowned, but that's sort of different.

Shelly, have you ever had to kill someone? Seems like a time travellery thing to end up having to do.

zachol fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Aug 14, 2014

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

zachol posted:

Shelly, have you ever had to kill someone? Seems like a time travellery thing to end up having to do.

Shelly leans forward, resting her chin in her hands and grinning broadly as Jenny discusses her pink days. Once the question is posed, she returns somewhat to normal, though still grinning.

Well, yeah, a couple times. We all get self defense training with firearms because the last thing you need when you're rushing to complete some down to the wire task is to be being mugged in a back alley. I maaay have been involved in a few shootouts over the last century or two, its amazing how often hopeless last stands and criminals end up inspiring people across time. Sometimes they needed just a little bit of extra fire power to last long enough to become famous.

More directly though, I was working in 1930s Amsterdam, helping a newspaper expose a small drug ring, and I ended up getting tailed, the guy followed me from the press almost all the way home, until I confronted him in an alley, and in the end, I had to introduce him to my trusty revolver. (its amazing how these things never seem to go out of style, they're a weapon you won't get looked twice at for having from several centuries)

As for guys, well... they seem to split into three groups in the future, the brainy ones, really smart, get into inventing fields, the fat full of themselves type who live in virtual realities, and some intense physical ones, doing things from like, our low gravity sports to heading some of our space exploration teams. We've even got a few like that in the Agency, though mostly we get the brainy types.

So, I feel like we should probably wrap up this Q&A before we drown everyone else out in the Shelly and Jenny show, so I'll leave it with this. Will you teach me to play pool later on if we get a chance? It sounds awesome!

GodFish fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Aug 14, 2014

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Samantha: So... what's living in a pack like? I mean, even if you've not spent much time outside of it, you must have seen TV or read books talking about human families, how does being in a pack differ from that? For that matter, what do outsiders think of your pack?

It's not really all that different from the other families around here I guess. Don't need a tv to tell you that much. Maybe bigger than normal, cause you gotta stay connected with your cousins. We also probably got a bit more ceremony involved with the poo poo we do than average people. In a town this old though, who the hell doesn't. Lots of families that've been around for a while, built up their own special secrets and traditions and poo poo. Our's just happens to be way more dangerous.

Like during the time of the full moon, everyone in the pack has to go out into the woods and hunt or mess around til sunrise. The older members had some explanation for it. Lesse... I think it was, "To reaffirm our connection with the Moon and Nature." Some really posh poo poo, but mostly it boiled down to keeping everyone in the pack busy til the next day. The full moon does weird poo poo to werewolves. When that big bright ball is in the air, you sorta start to forget things. Important things, like that you were ever anything else besides a wolf. Wouldn't want someone to be stuck in town when that happened.

As for outsiders, I dunno really. The out-of-towners probably think we're just another group of backwards yokels or something. In any case, we're told to keep quiet about pack business around strangers. Never know if the person who just overheard you might be a reporter looking for a story, or worse, a wannabe monster hunter who thinks he's gonna save the world by murdering some people with different way of living. You do get lucky sometimes, like with my mom. She wasn't born a werewolf, wasn't even born in Madison, but when she and dad went gaga over each other, the family secret apparently didn't even faze her.

Like I said though, that was lucky for them. They never had to deal with trying to get together any of the wimps around here. I don't know, maybe we just intimidate most people naturally or something, but the best luck I ever had with dating was going out to see a movie with this kid, Andrew I think his name was. He spent half the date stuttering, and after the movie was over he ran home like the devil himself was in hot pursuit. Granted, I probably shouldn't have cornered him to get the date in the first place, but gently caress it was my first time too. How the hell was I supposed to know what to say.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 14, 2014

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

thelazyblank posted:

Speaking of that, Hiroko, I heard you're the favorite in your family from your parents' point of view, but none of your siblings seem to agree. How are ya gonna keep them in line so that you can keep your spot at the top? How about keeping it so ma and pa still see you as their princess or whatever? I mean, I've got some suggestions if you're looking for help, but ya gotta get it done yourself unless you've got something for me.

I think I would know better on how to deal with my own family. But thank you for offering.

If it comes down it, I don't think I need to force an iron hand upon them. They may not like me as the favorite, but I'm still their sister. I took care of my younger siblings for most of their lives. Real care, while my father chose to focus to on training us rather than rearing us, while my mother chose to indulge herself more into the affairs of the town. Koike, Mitsuo, Kohaku... the younger still look up to me. They listen, even if begrudgingly, because they know that I am the closest thing they have to an anchor in our... hmm, squabbles. They just need a reminder of that.

My older siblings see me as a threat through and through, and Saori would cut me where I stand if I give her the chance. Bad blood, all around. They either have a lot of clout and support or a lot of training in weapons. Er, martial arts means a lot in our family, so we spar all the time as a way to prove ourselves than each other. Anyway, I figure that with them, I'll have to put them in their place so they will recognize my place. I suppose much like what you would do, in this case. Heh.

I wish that just asserting myself over the others would be enough to please my parents. But there's always something more with them. They always want to escalate things and it's... ugh. Why.

To be honest, Evie-san, I'm surprised that brutality comes very easily for you. I've had to struggle with rivalries and appease my parents my whole life and I still question if what I do is right. But anyone that comes up against you and your business, you simply destroy without hesitation. It gives results, I'm sure. But don't you feel any empathy at all towards the people you step over?

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Hiroko: What do other people think about your family? Have there been any rumours about past generations, and how all your uncles and aunts mysteriously died before adulthood?

Everyone in town has very short memories, especially when it comes to "bizarre" occurrences and deaths. My relatives attribute it to the prayers they perform in our shrine every week to cast a haze over people's minds and make them more ignorant. I think that's a lot of bunk, but they're probably not wrong about our family being responsible for the state of the town. I mean, think about it. The Nakahara have lived here for over a century, and spent that time to turn this town into an otherwise tranquil, isolated place. Madison was the place you went to escape from the outside world. To find a measure of peace.

And they've held on to that facade long enough if anything strange does happen, well, that's not the way of things, isn't it? It's easy to just look the other way and focus on peace, on what's normal to them. This is just how I think it, anyway... but it makes sense to me. It's probably how they did it back in the Warring States, too. Just an endless cycle of violence and secrets.

It's not that hard to make excuses, too. Like I said, my family used to have their children study in the city, far enough from anyone in Madison. Every death just meant another Nakahara kid just... unexpectedly moved into the city, or in a different state, or even back to Japan to continue studying. Usually, for good. Then only one child returns home to carry the family name and maintain the estate. We've done so many times, no one questions it anymore. You can say it's become a tradition around here. Yes, that word, again.

It's not perfect. Sometimes, a body turns up where it shouldn't. Rumors don't stay put, and news of a murder spreee reach our quiet town. Seldom times, there's even a scandal. But, and I say this with both disgust and admiration, we're gotten really good at hiding the figurative and literal skeletons of our family. It never lasts for long. People have short memories.

I think my parents don't realize what this new school means to our way of life. Yes, they can monitor the trials better from here, but it also means we'll see a lot of deaths here at all once. I don't think we can simply cover single one of them up, even if we have family and friends on the what counts as law enforcement around here. My parents seem confident they can proceed just as we've always had for years. Madison is still isolated, they insist, no one will ever know. I wonder...

Mitama fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 15, 2014

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Okay, so in the interest of giving Brainamp and MrTastee ample time to field questions to each other, I'll partner up Samantha and Butch. You two have a lot in common, with your ancestry and physical natures, I'm sure you can find a lot to talk about.

Bonus Round 2:

For everyone who might consider their characters to be monstrous or strange:

Name a moment that made you feel like a Monster, and name a moment that made you feel Human.

For everyone who might consider their characters to be human or normal:

Name a moment that made you feel Right, and name a moment that made you feel Wrong.

(I'm not going to enforce on other people whether they think they're monstrous or human, that's entirely up to you to decide for your character)

Regular Questions:

Second Question:

Hiroko: All this violence, all these secrets, can't be healthy to experience, especially knowing there's no escape from them (There is no escape, right?) Tell me about a time when the stress got too much, and what you did then. How did your siblings react?

Third Question:

Samantha: Have you ever encountered a monster hunter? What was that like? What did your pack do to them?

Sarah: Did your father's vault give you any evidence of other monsters? Aside from the Thing at the refinery? What are you going to do about them?

Lem: What do you think of the Church of Salt and Light? (see this for info on them) They claim to be crusading against sin, too, after all.

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 16, 2014

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Sarah:

Axe-man posted:

Speaking of, you should hang out with us. We both think you are cute! We can hang out being bored and cute all together... also totes going to a concert.

Sounds like fun. But what kind of concerts do you get out there in the woods, anyway? Doesn't seem like the kind of place any real bands would bother to stop. No offense.

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 14, 2014

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

quote:

Name a moment that made you feel like a Monster, and name a moment that made you feel Human.

Can do.

I knew I wasn't quite normal, I knew from the start, before I even knew about my sibling. I grew faster then other kids, like, a lot faster, I looked nearly 15 when I was 8 years old, I was taller then most people I knew when I was 12. I stood out like a sore thumb, like I didn't quite fit, but that didn't make me feel inhuman. Then when I could, remove myself from people's visions, not by just hiding, but when people literally didn't know I was there when I was stood right next to them, and they would never realize until I spoke up, or when I could remove myself from people's thoughts. I once was chased by a farmer for stealing from his orchard, but when he caught up to me, he had forgotten what he came out to do, that was certainly a surprise. That didn't drive the point home.

Not as much as the very first night where I was alone with my twin, and I was responsible for feeding him. I dropped a live calf in front of him, and then watched as he tore into it in a ravenous feeding frenzy. It came on me, in that moment, watching the blood pool at my feet, "This could have been me, this could still be me. I am the same blood as this creature before me". He looked at me in that moment, with shallow, inhuman eyes, and smiled. A smile that contained far too many teeth, and was dripping with gore. It, upset my constitution by a large amount. To this day, the mere smell of raw meat is enough to trigger a gag reflex.

And yet, the one thing that kept me grounded, was my family. We were for all intents and purposes a normal family, we ate together, we went out together, we shared stories together. Even the cynical character you see before you today, loves his family dearly, and would wish only that they could live a normal, peaceful life... But that isn't the case now is it, now I am far from home, and find myself missing it dearly.

If I had to name one thing I miss from living in the country more then anything, was fresh local produce. There is one thing that is difficult to tell a city dweller, and that is that the difference between food that is just on a supermarket shelf, and food that was picked from the fields that very same day is vast.

And that saddens me, I have searched this entire town over for a grocers, or butchers, or bakery, anywhere that does fresh food made on the day, but the closest I could find were kiosks in the corner of some branch of supermarket, and that just isn't the same, it doesn't quite feel as, fresh. I did find a little second hand store called Thrifty Pieces though, tucked away from the high street in a little side alley. It is a charity shop basically, it's full of little things people do not want and have donated to the store. I pick up some books there occasionally, but the first time I found it, I parted with very nifty bread maker for a good price. Nothing reminds me of home more then freshly baked bread.

Now, there's a point.

Lily We've talked about why we are here, and experiences from our past. But, let's talk about now, what do you do for fun? Have you joined, or considered joining any clubs at school?

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

AdjectiveNoun posted:

So, I did actually go to visit Cindy before I left. I don't know. When I made her have that accident, it felt... right. Just, even. A promise isn't just words for me; I can feel it. It's something important, sacred. And breaking a promise is like the world's biggest slap in the face. When I use my powers against someone who has gone back on their word, I don't have a lot of remorse to hold me back. Whatever I do to them, it just feels like they completely deserve it. Hurting people is easy at times like that. And I don't think about that too much, you know? It's just part of life.

It was really, really hard not to think about it though, seeing her all beat up like that. She actually apologised, said she felt awful about lying to me, especially since I was coming to visit her anyway. Her arm was in a cast -- the doctors aren't even sure she'll regain full use of it, her face discoloured by bruising, her nose still a mess from where the airbag broke it, and she was all hosed up on painkillers. I've never hurt anyone that badly. And for it to be Cindy, well, I was pretty horrified. Doing that to someone you care about shouldn't be easy. It shouldn't feel right while you're doing it. Is that how a monster is supposed to feel? Guilty? Like I'm dangerous and need to get a loving grip? That's how I felt then, any way.

The last time I felt really 'human' was a bit after that. Since I was going to be away for so long, Norma and Sophie decided that we needed to go do something as a family, even though I was still all sulky and not wanting to do anything after seeing Cindy. But I ended up going anyway -- I swear to god, there is no one in the world who can mom-guilt as well as Norma Green can. We didn't do anything special. We went out to this stupid, dinky park I used to play in all the time when I was a kid, and they bought me ice cream, and we just kind of talked, I guess. And I didn't have to think about my biological father, or about fae bullshit in general, or about the way I'm kind of lying to them all the time. I don't think I'd spent that much time with the two of them in years. It just felt nice. Normal.

Don't get me wrong, here. I don't wish I were all-human. Most of the time, I don't regret giving people who cross me what's coming to them. But I went too far there, between Andy and Cindy. I could have easily killed someone who hadn't done anything to me, between Andy's family and the car that ran sidelong into Cindy's. I guess I'll have to try to be a little bit smarter next time someone gives me reason to gently caress up their life.

Well, that got a bit personal. You know what? It can't hurt to go in for another round of questions here. Yo, disappearing boy:

Walt:

You know, I'm sick about talking about my fuckups. No one's perfect; you can't go snooping around as much as you say you do without getting caught somtimes. What's the worst poo poo you've gotten into after someone noticed you eavesdropping on their conversation?

Gazetteer fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 14, 2014

• Locked thread