Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Gyra_Solune posted:

An SRW that had a cast list as weird and dumb as Heroine Chronicle?

...i mean does UX count

okay but for real we'd need things like Dinagiga, Ginguiser, Innocent Venus, Candidate for Goddess, and Kannazuki no Miko. Maybe throw in God Mazinger and Getter Robo Go for the entries nobody remembers. Oh and make absolutely sure that Gundam AGE is the forefront of the plot and delivered as intact and unchanged as SEED was in J.

Also Fei-Yen Miku returns but now with the rest of the Vocaloid cast!!!

An SRW with a deliberately weird cast list absolutely needs to throw in Psycho Armor Govarian. It's half Mazinger half Gundam.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=FKWPmvlzNwQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
The OGs LP now up reminds me of the two changes they made the OG2 section that really pissed me off and I can't rant about them in the LP thread for months.

So. Jesus christ gently caress whatever Axel fangirl got on the plot department and decided to completely re-write him into a secondary protagonist, and gently caress them taking away avenging Daitetsu's death in the most badass way possible.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

legoman727 posted:

The OGs LP now up reminds me of the two changes they made the OG2 section that really pissed me off and I can't rant about them in the LP thread for months.

So. Jesus christ gently caress whatever Axel fangirl got on the plot department and decided to completely re-write him into a secondary protagonist, and gently caress them taking away avenging Daitetsu's death in the most badass way possible.

Axel's rewrite in OGs is supposed to bring him back in line with his A version. The real fault lies with OG2's GBA version for making him way more of an rear end in a top hat than he was supposed to be.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

legoman727 posted:

I definitely agree with the avenging Daitetsu bit there. That part was completely badass in OG2. I actually didn't know about the retcon until OGS2, so imagine my surprise/annoyance to see Lee's smug face pop up in a cutscene.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Look OGs has barely any memorable generic villains as is, they can't just kill people off willy-nilly.

No, Lee just exists in a state of maybe-dead-maybe-alive-who-knows-we'll-just-kill-him-next-game.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Except that we'll never get an OG3. :suicide:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

BlitzBlast posted:

Look OGs has barely any memorable generic villains as is, they can't just kill people off willy-nilly.

I only played a bit of OG2 (before deciding I needed to play OG1 to understand what the gently caress was going on), but I liked evil Jon Lennon at the start.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

legoman727 posted:

Isn't OGS2 effectively OG3, just weirdly named because of how they remade OG1 and 2 into OGS?

Reminds me, I should get back into OGS. I kind of burned out on it since I was just playing game I had already played six times over, just slower and in a language I don't really understand. But it's been a few years and I'm in the mood to see the OG crew again. Should check out the LP too, though my inevitable fate with SRW LPs is to miss an update and then never catch back up.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

maou shoujo posted:

An SRW with a deliberately weird cast list absolutely needs to throw in Psycho Armor Govarian. It's half Mazinger half Gundam.

Govarian is one of those shows I really want to be in SRW because it has a great theme song and is an old super robot show I know nothing about, and there is nothing that raises my heart like a new old super robot I know nothing about showing up in SRW. It's my one point of disappointment with Z3.1, though hopefully the second part will introduce one.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

BlitzBlast posted:

No, Lee just exists in a state of maybe-dead-maybe-alive-who-knows-we'll-just-kill-him-next-game.

He definitely died when he rammed his ship into the final boss.

You know, unless he didn't.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

legoman727 posted:

We're at OG4 right now. OG1 > OG2 > OG Gaiden > 2nd OGs.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

So, playing OG1 on gba for the first time, because I can't focus on finishing a single game for longer than a few days to save my life, and anyone have any tricks for Stage 8 of Kyosuke route? This rear end in a top hat Elzam dodges everything.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I just picked up and started A Portable, and boy howdy do I loving despise Akito Tenkawa right about now. I wish his death wasn't a game over condition just so I could Mega Particle Cannon his rear end into fry grease.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
If that's the mission I'm thinking of, yes, it's annoying as hell. I think the easiest way to solve it is to surround Akito and prevent him from moving.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

MonsieurChoc posted:

So, playing OG1 on gba for the first time, because I can't focus on finishing a single game for longer than a few days to save my life, and anyone have any tricks for Stage 8 of Kyosuke route? This rear end in a top hat Elzam dodges everything.

I don't really remember much about stage 8 specifically, but rear end in a top hat dodging enemies are generally taken care of with Strike, Focus, and terrain bonuses. See if there's any terrain around that gives a hit bonus and park your guys on it (terrain like this also tends to grant dodge bonuses, which should help with Elzam's bullshit accuracy too). Line up support attacks so you can take him down before you run out of SP. Different attacks have different hit bonuses, try different attacks to see if any will let you hit him easier. I think range also helps with the hit calculations, but I don't remember for sure. I'm pretty sure Will has an effect, so if you can get yours up before he dodges his up to 150, that might also help.

If all else fails the RNG rolls when you start a battle encounter and isn't pre-determined like in Fire Emblem, so you can save scum him if you really have to. It's not fun, but it should work as a last resort.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
It's much easier to just leave a couple of near-dead mooks close-by for Akito to finish off, which the AI even on the "Guest party member" side will prioritize killing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

MarsDragon posted:

I don't really remember much about stage 8 specifically, but rear end in a top hat dodging enemies are generally taken care of with Strike, Focus, and terrain bonuses. See if there's any terrain around that gives a hit bonus and park your guys on it (terrain like this also tends to grant dodge bonuses, which should help with Elzam's bullshit accuracy too). Line up support attacks so you can take him down before you run out of SP. Different attacks have different hit bonuses, try different attacks to see if any will let you hit him easier. I think range also helps with the hit calculations, but I don't remember for sure. I'm pretty sure Will has an effect, so if you can get yours up before he dodges his up to 150, that might also help.

If all else fails the RNG rolls when you start a battle encounter and isn't pre-determined like in Fire Emblem, so you can save scum him if you really have to. It's not fun, but it should work as a last resort.

Right, finally did it with the Battle Mastery after around 10 attempts. I really wish there was a quick reset button: I had the BM on that first try that ended against Elzam, and then kept missing it as I tried again and again. :argh:

And then I selected Next Map instead of save. :downs:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

L+R+Start+Select is quick reset I think. Hold down select to automatically load the quick save.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

MarsDragon posted:

L+R+Start+Select is quick reset I think. Hold down select to automatically load the quick save.

Doesn't work for me. Guess they must have added those functions to later games in the series. :shrug:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

No, I know there's a quick reset on the GBA. I savescummed my way through more than one battle on an actual system because I was a dumb kid back in college. Maybe it's A+B+Select+Start? A+B+L+R+Select+Start sounds too complex for what I remember. It's something like that anyway, and holding Select loads the quicksave.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

MarsDragon posted:

No, I know there's a quick reset on the GBA. I savescummed my way through more than one battle on an actual system because I was a dumb kid back in college. Maybe it's A+B+Select+Start? A+B+L+R+Select+Start sounds too complex for what I remember. It's something like that anyway, and holding Select loads the quicksave.

Maybe you're thinking of OG2? Holding select only brings up the Map for me. Or maybe my DS buttons aren't working well, it's a pretty old machine, sometimes I have to press buttons multiple times before it works.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm fairly sure it's L+R+Start+Select. Also if you hold Select during the soft reset it autoloads your most recent battle save.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Speaking of, I've just recently started going through Z3 (very slowly...) and I noticed that the soft-reset is dumping me back in the title screen.

Did they change the button you need to hold in order to load right into the mission or did they just take that option away?

vvvv Edit: Well, that's annoying...

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 14, 2014

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Z3 is extremely finicky about it. In my experimenting, I found the following scenarios:

1. Soft reset and keep select pressed down: Goes to title screen 100% of the time.
2. Soft reset, release for 1-2 seconds, press and hold select: Autoloads battle save roughly 30% of the time, goes to title screen the rest of the time.
3: Soft reset, hold nothing: Goes to title screen 100% of the time.

I have a few theories about it. Maybe the wait period for holding select is longer or shorter in certain stages depending on how long each different stage's data takes to release from the soft reset. But I don't know anything for certain. You can sometimes get it to quick-load the save and skip title screen, but it's completely unreliable and I have not been able to replicate results to any acceptable degree. The button hasn't changed, either. I tried the same approaches holding start and had zero success.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Daler Mehndi posted:

If that's the mission I'm thinking of, yes, it's annoying as hell. I think the easiest way to solve it is to surround Akito and prevent him from moving.

Yeah, it's not like he's even losing the game for me. It's that that I had this Rube Goldberg device precisely set up to bring the bosses to Run Away + 1 HP so I could ice them, and then Captain rear end in a top hat decides to mosquito bite them and cost the fleet several dozen grand.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I was getting ready to write up a big long post about how perfect Alpha is and how much I'm loving my first full foray into the SRW series, but then I got to easily the worst level in the game. It's level 24 on the League Militaire route, called the Nightmare of Solomon. It starts off great by giving you an expert point condition that relies entirely on Kou being Level 25. Now that's not such a horrible requirement except I've never seen any reason to even use Kou much less level him up, especially in his old suit before he gets more firepower. Anyway you basically have 2 turns to do 8000 damage with him, which is impossible without Nekketsu which he doesn't get 'til level 25. Doesn't seem like much of a fair expert point compared to anything else the game has thrown at you up to this point. I'd have much preferred it if it was just a condition for the secret units, not for both the expert point AND the secrets.

Second, the mission ends all of the sudden. Didn't have time to kill all the named guys and get some good points? Too bad. Actually I didn't even care about the exp, it was more about the items all the named baddies were probably carrying. I'm kind of sick of this whole sub-route since it sticks you with a few nice Gundam aces and then something like 15 worthless grunts no one is ever going to field. But it also contains stories for Judau and Usso which is the only reason I picked it despite it being a Real route and me playing a Super game, leaving most of my non-Gundam-ace Reals severely under-leveled.

Anyway I could have just gone back and re-played the level, knowing about the time limit, but mostly I just want to get out of this stretch and get the rest of my characters back.

I think the biggest joke is they give you Odelo as a free pilot you can switch out for someone else. 'Here, you can exchange him for one of the 8 V Gundam girls and continue to ignore those units because everyone from that show who isn't named Usso is worthless in this game.' At least when they drown you in characters from Super shows they stuff them all in one suit instead of spreading them out across 5 or more units (unless you play with your Supers separated which would be interesting for a challenge run).

V Wait that's actually a legitimate strategy? :psyduck: I was just joking. It never occurred to me that the little machines with barely any HP and piddling little attacks could ever be useful.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Aug 16, 2014

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I personally like to separate supers since it allows for flooding the field with a ton more units. 14 units for the price of 3 deploy slots, yes please. Upgrading them is somewhat expensive if you just take the super itself into account, but since it's shared among all the component pieces, it means that investing in them a lot gets a whole team of units up to snuff with medium-end Gundams, with a trump card of being able to combine and wreck things. The Dancougar ones are a bit hard to use since most of them are land-based yet close-range, but they do have that nifty beast mode at 130 will which makes them the most potent of the individual pieces.

Sadly Alpha and Gaiden are like the only games you can do this since they abandoned component things later, which is kind of a shame but understandable, don't want to be putting all the work in for 5 extra units that maybe 3 people will use.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
It's really only valid in Alpha I think. A little valid in Alpha Gaiden because of things like one of the units in Combattler's parts having Repair module.

And then I guess there's the SRX, but only because each component part is a fully fledged Real in itself.

edit: I'm fairly sure the component parts in Alpha 1 and Alpha Gaiden don't take anything from their main form at all, which makes upgrading those worthless.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Separating in Alpha Gaiden is pretty useful for burning late game boss units' Alert and Valor without wasting a turn on a better unit.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Man I dunno, I loved being able to play through the game with a giant army of grunts. It's one of the reasons I wish Victory would come back.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

WrightOfWay posted:

Separating in Alpha Gaiden is pretty useful for burning late game boss units' Alert and Valor without wasting a turn on a better unit.

They're also really good at whittling down barriers that cost EN per activation (looking at you Granzon), since by disassembling Combattler and Voltes you get eight more shots at it per round they survive.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I finally watched the final episode of Unicorn, and well...I don't know how Z3-3 is going to work that finale into the story and make it as significant as I an sure they want to, since for most of the cast, the history of the federation/Zeon conflict isn't THEIR history.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Samurai Sanders posted:

I finally watched the final episode of Unicorn, and well...I don't know how Z3-3 is going to work that finale into the story and make it as significant as I an sure they want to, since for most of the cast, the history of the federation/Zeon conflict isn't THEIR history.

The Marcenas family is tied into Chronos so it's probably something completely different, like a fragment of the Black Blackened History or a key to the Space Prison.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Yeah, it's generally agreed that there's no way in hell they're gonna use the actual episode 7 plot since everything that happened was stupid, terrible, and wouldn't actually contribute to the game one bit. At least they basically have open season to make Laplace's Box into anything they want!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Broken Loose posted:

Yeah, it's generally agreed that there's no way in hell they're gonna use the actual episode 7 plot since everything that happened was stupid, terrible, and wouldn't actually contribute to the game one bit. At least they basically have open season to make Laplace's Box into anything they want!
That's just fine by me. I was disappointed by their attempts to make what seemed like just a historical oddity into something that would change humanity forever.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's just fine by me. I was disappointed by their attempts to make what seemed like just a historical oddity into something that would change humanity forever.

Yeah, they treat it as a game-changer when it's the equivalent of a bullet point in a Cracked article.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

The secret of Laplace's Box will probably be something like all the worlds were originally one or maybe something to do with Paradigm City. I imagine the events with the Unicorn itself will play out somewhat similarly. It basically lets them do something similar to what they did with the Nirvash at the end of Z.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Fixing Unicorn's ending will be cake compared to when Eureka AO is introduced, because gently caress AO.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Unicorn ending doesn't treat the revelation as something that will automatically change everything.

Hell, they even straight up say that there's a chance that nothing will be changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

Yeah, they treat it as a game-changer when it's the equivalent of a bullet point in a Cracked article.

Banagher's reaction to Laplace's Box was literally "People died for this!?"

I hope they keep it exactly as is, it'll be interesting seeing what the rest of the UC crew think of it. Especially Char.

• Locked thread