Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Been replaying this sucker on the Wii and I forgot how fantastic it is. A lot of games have you compromise and make you accept subpar gameplay if you want a B-movie plot but RE4 is all camp while still being one of the best games I've played. Blows me away every time, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
hey its that dog

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
re4 mercenaries goty every year

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
your right hand comes off?

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
i loving love the reload animations for re 4

so good

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
When RE4 came out on steam a couple months ago, they had hosed up some of the reload animations. The rifle's reload was hosed, most notably. I don't know if they ever got around to fixing that (I really should go back to it), but clearly Capcom was in the dark about what made RE4 so good. Y'know, ignoring RE5 and 6.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Protips:

Use Red9, or blacktail if you are gay (its ok)
Skip TMP
Skip tactical shotgun, wait for striker
Skip semi-auto sniper if you are tru hardcore gamer
There is a Broken butterfly 4 free
Save Rpg for the right hand
Carry the bass (L) as far as loving possible into the game for a cool secret

Probably more but i havent played re4 in so long, is the steam version ok?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Hell yeah RE4 is my favorite besides REmake.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Fellis posted:

what

Fellis posted:

what

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
RE4 is amazing but trying to get a good score in The Mercenaries legit cramped up my hand

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Fellis posted:

Skip TMP

if you fully upgrade it TMP turns into a beast, you can just kind of sweep it over a row of enemies at roughly head height for full auto headshots. it's a blast to use on new game+

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Skip everything and suplex poor people all day.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

JethroMcB posted:

if you fully upgrade it TMP turns into a beast, you can just kind of sweep it over a row of enemies at roughly head height for full auto headshots. it's a blast to use on new game+

I don't think its a bad weapon upgraded, it just isn't good enough early to dedicate money and inventory space to and buying it just makes its terrible ammo drop more. It has great dps which is good for bosses

The bolt action is 10000x sexier than dumb semi auto rifle. The fish thing is just comedy

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Skip everything and suplex poor people all day.

This basically, guns are just for kneecapping so you can suplex into knife slash

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Ballistics.

Also anyone know if the HD version is any good? I have the Wii version which is laughably easy and I'd like to go back to the good old days of playing this game with an analog stick.

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

I could never get into RE4 and I'm not sure why. I only made it past the first boss. Maybe I'll give it another go someday.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Fellis posted:

The bolt action is 10000x sexier than dumb semi auto rifle. The fish thing is just comedy

oh right ok. i'm really stupid and got confused and thought you meant skip the bolt action one.

idk what the fish is for

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

scalded schlong posted:

oh right ok. i'm really stupid and got confused and thought you meant skip the bolt action one.

idk what the fish is for

You can kill lots of fish at the lake and some in the castle, the small ones are 1x3 spaces and heal 2/3. The big one is a full heal but takes up like 2x5 spaces lol

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Fellis posted:

You can kill lots of fish at the lake and some in the castle, the small ones are 1x3 spaces and heal 2/3. The big one is a full heal but takes up like 2x5 spaces lol

Really? I don't remember finding any fish in the castle. Despite the fact that like 2/3 of the castle's rooms had huge fountains and/or pools in them.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Fellis posted:

I don't think its a bad weapon upgraded, it just isn't good enough early to dedicate money and inventory space to and buying it just makes its terrible ammo drop more. It has great dps which is good for bosses

This basically, guns are just for kneecapping so you can suplex into knife slash

the tmp is for kneecapping 50 dudes a clip and for sequence breaking

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Ah, the thrill of getting the 5-star ratings on all maps with all characters on Mercenaries... I was a young man once.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

Really? I don't remember finding any fish in the castle. Despite the fact that like 2/3 of the castle's rooms had huge fountains and/or pools in them.

There are some in a pool during the bug monster segment after you lose ashley to the incredibly obvious trap

Doctor Goat posted:

the tmp is for kneecapping 50 dudes a clip and for sequence breaking

didn't know about the sequence breaks, GC only lame

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i'm playing re6 now and i sort of like how the qtes work but it's unintuitive at first

leon looks rough but he's still leon which means i expect good things

edit: god drat these controls are awful, there are a million buttons. breaking out the xbone pad

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 14, 2014

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Dongslayer. posted:

re4 mercenaries goty every year

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

That move instakills sackfaces.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

That move instakills sackfaces.

HUNK good

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
lol if you don't use TMP to set up melee hits and then kife dudes to save ammo for useful guns

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

darealkooky posted:

lol if you don't use TMP to set up melee hits and then kife dudes to save ammo for useful guns

the only gun i can't recommend is the mine thrower and that's just because you don't get enough ammo for it for it to be worth the inventory slot

it stuns people the same way the tmp does so you can boot them into crowds or hit a dude at the front of a crowd and have them be in the middle when it blows up

red9 gc is the best gun though

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
didn't they buff red9 and a few other guns in the ported versions?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
oh drat they did, i'm backwards and the red9 kicks even more rear end. luis sera has good taste.

i'm playing 6 and leon seems to have caught a little case of the palsy and i'm playing on veteran so the guns are shooting cotton balls and cerberuses are more deadly + annoying than ever. on the other hand, if you time it right, leon can just punch them out of the air.

leon has also gained the bulldog wrestling move and it's fast and fun, plus you can just melee everything. but the inventory sucks. every game should have re4's inventory, not the inventory from fuckin revelations

Myrmomancer
May 31, 2014
Resident Evil 4 is the only game in the series I played all the way through, because it loving rules.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
2 is really good too for being one of the classic games

leon B lets you get a shotgun that requires his whole weight to hold and blows dudes in half.

leon is in it. 2 is good. noticing a pattern here but i'm not very optimistic about 6

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ffffuck yeah RE4 is so good i bought it 3 times (GC, Wii, XBLA)

Fellis posted:

Protips:

Use Red9, or blacktail if you are gay (its ok)
Skip TMP
There is a Broken butterfly 4 free
Save Rpg for the right hand

good tips. you can also use the RPG for the two garradors just after the castle clock tower. then you can freeze+magnum the right hand dude to death.

Fellis posted:

Skip tactical shotgun, wait for striker

i'm sorry but the tactical shotgun rules and the striker sucks hth

Fellis posted:

this except do it regardless of how hc you are because the bolt-action rifle is the best weapon in the game

Fellis posted:

wait what's this?

Fellis posted:

Probably more but i havent played re4 in so long, is the steam version ok?

Shoot knees and suplex for easy kill
Flash grenades kill exposed parasites
Save dog

IDK about the steam version. I think when the PC version first came out it had a lot of issues (including no mouse-look lmao) that are probably fixed by now. XBLA version owns though.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
6 owns you just have to get good at playing it. the melee options and all the crazy diving and rolling you can do makes the game feel kinetic as gently caress

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

did anyone ever buy the riot shotgun?
what was its point?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nanomashoes posted:

did anyone ever buy the riot shotgun?
what was its point?

oh right i forgot it was called this and not a "tactical shotgun."

i buy it, every time, and it's better than both the standard sg and the striker :colbert:. the point of it is to reduce spread, which I guess defeats the purpose of a shotgun in a way, but it's really good at doing a lot of damage AND knockback at even medium range.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

DoubleDonut posted:

Ballistics.

Also anyone know if the HD version is any good? I have the Wii version which is laughably easy and I'd like to go back to the good old days of playing this game with an analog stick.

You can play the Wii version with a Classic Controller or a Gamecube controller legitimately, it's just not really well-documented. The laser sight comes back and everything.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 14, 2014

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
i never kill the right hand on a normal playthrough and horde all my magnum ammo like i'm in a jrpg. i don't even remember when you can pick up the rocket launcher before that encounter.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
the striker is the best weapon, induces a hilarious bug, and has a drat 100 round clip. how can you not like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_XapEJfvwc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Resident Evil sucks huge nads OP, and I'm NOT making this up.

• Locked thread