Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DrBouvenstein posted:

Because of the changes they had to make to go from control via a Gamecube controller to a Wiimote, you aren't able to look down at your arms anymore. :(

They also took out details like the power beam starting to let off steam if you fire it for long enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

LoonShia posted:

Also, you get to keep the arrows that enemies shoot into you.

Nothing like yanking an arrow out of your chest and giving the guy who shot you a "Return to Sender."

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
OFF has one of the best game over themes for games, stay in your coma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8svEinLU14

it's probably for the best

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

Anatharon posted:

God drat I forgot how good this game's soundtrack is.

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1EPegIzD2M

I definitely need to replay this, what a great fuckin game.

Little Blue Couch has a new favorite as of 01:22 on Aug 15, 2014

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

RBA Starblade posted:

They also took out details like the power beam starting to let off steam if you fire it for long enough.

This is specifically only a problem for the original Metroid Prime, because all of those were actually 2D effects since the arm cannon didn't move on the Gamecube version. Prime 2's effects were all 3D models, so its effects remained in Trilogy.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Anatharon posted:

I never finished OFF, does it get less repetitive as it goes on? I stopped after the first boss because the 8-bit RPG combat was just tedious, and the number of random encounters that there were made it kind of frustrating to actually play, which is a shame because I loved the setting and just how utterly weird it is.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

I never finished OFF, does it get less repetitive as it goes on? I stopped after the first boss because the 8-bit RPG combat was just tedious, and the number of random encounters that there were made it kind of frustrating to actually play, which is a shame because I loved the setting and just how utterly weird it is.

You could watch an LP.

It gets less repetitive only in the sense that your damage scales way faster then enemy HP does, and things get way weirder. If you really feel like it you can grind, too.

Mortis Ghost said that he made Dedan specifically to be despised, but I can't help but find him endearing.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

In the first town in Shovel Knight you can meet a talking frog called Croaker. You get an achievement if you listen to all his puns.

In the next town you'll find his grumpy counterpart, Toader. If you try telling him a joke you only get this reaction :3:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Inspector Gesicht posted:

In the first town in Shovel Knight you can meet a talking frog called Croaker. You get an achievement if you listen to all his puns.

In the next town you'll find his grumpy counterpart, Toader. If you try telling him a joke you only get this reaction :3:

In the ending when the tower collapses, he's still doing that while everyone cheers, presuambly because Croaker is next to him making puns.

Shovel Knight is a good game, because unlike the games its trying to emulate such as old mega-man games, you have infinite lives.
You can mess up without fear of having to restart an entire level and at the same time the money penalty makes you not want to take things lightly.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
I really liked the medals and promotions you could get in X-Wing and TIE Fighter. X-Wing was particularly good about this. You got a ribbon for every campaign mission, plus a medal for finishing each campaign, plus various badges for completing the training missions. You could open up your locker and see all that stuff, plus your rank insignia, on your dress uniform. There was also a medal you got for scoring a certain number of points in a single mission, which you could actually get in the second mission of the first campaign if you stuck around long enough. TIE Fighter was actually a step back in this regard. You still got medals for campaigns and badges for training missions, but individual missions only gave you a colored gem-looking thing, which I think had different colors depending on how many objectives you completed. You also didn't get to see it on a uniform; you saw them in the in-game datapad which was divided into sections for each campaign. I think it was much better to be able to see all your stuff at once, so that was disappointing. The Freespace games did something in between, where you had a medal case that showed everything, without a uniform.

This also reminds me of how Oblivion handled progression in guilds. You rose up through various ranks, and each rank had a picture for it that you could see on your character info screen. It was fun to see that section build up as you did more stuff in the world. I missed that in Skyrim. There's not really a sense of rising through the guild ranks in Skyrim, plus the questlines themselves are ridiculously short. Skyrim improved some stuff, but I think Oblivion did guilds better.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Praetorian Mage posted:

I really liked the medals and promotions you could get in X-Wing and TIE Fighter. X-Wing was particularly good about this. You got a ribbon for every campaign mission, plus a medal for finishing each campaign, plus various badges for completing the training missions. You could open up your locker and see all that stuff, plus your rank insignia, on your dress uniform. There was also a medal you got for scoring a certain number of points in a single mission, which you could actually get in the second mission of the first campaign if you stuck around long enough. TIE Fighter was actually a step back in this regard. You still got medals for campaigns and badges for training missions, but individual missions only gave you a colored gem-looking thing, which I think had different colors depending on how many objectives you completed. You also didn't get to see it on a uniform; you saw them in the in-game datapad which was divided into sections for each campaign. I think it was much better to be able to see all your stuff at once, so that was disappointing. The Freespace games did something in between, where you had a medal case that showed everything, without a uniform.

This also reminds me of how Oblivion handled progression in guilds. You rose up through various ranks, and each rank had a picture for it that you could see on your character info screen. It was fun to see that section build up as you did more stuff in the world. I missed that in Skyrim. There's not really a sense of rising through the guild ranks in Skyrim, plus the questlines themselves are ridiculously short. Skyrim improved some stuff, but I think Oblivion did guilds better.

On that note, X-Wing: Alliance continued the tradition of getting medals and badges for official Alliance missions, but for missions you run for your family, you got a neat souvenir. These range from a piece of a TIE Fighter, to a bottle of booze, to a music box probe droid, to much more. The e-mail system was also really cool in which you got messages from friends, general news alerts, and even spam. My personal favorite was an advertisement from a prosthetic hand company with the slogan "If it's good enough for Luke Skywalker, it's good enough for you!"

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Anatharon posted:

Didn't really care for that game for a number of reasons.

Yume Nikki on the other hand..

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Just got done playing World in Conflict again, the really nice details:

Zoom in close enough on a unit and it starts talking, NATO/Soviet units in their native language.

...god dammit bannon...

Colonel Sawyer diagrams get more and more simple until it's literally napkin cartons and ketchup

You can tell someone (Private Uris) is about to get shot because you can see a gleam off a sniper scope near a chimney.

ah if only they weren't stuck making far cry

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mulefisk posted:

Didn't really care for that game for a number of reasons.

Yume Nikki on the other hand..

Such as?

The gameplay is the only really obvious thing.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
In Sleeping Dogs, if you dismount a motorcycle while driving it and you have a pistol you can shoot the motorcycle to make it instantly explode, which is amazingly impractical but fun to do.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PunkBoy posted:

On that note, X-Wing: Alliance continued the tradition of getting medals and badges for official Alliance missions, but for missions you run for your family, you got a neat souvenir. These range from a piece of a TIE Fighter, to a bottle of booze, to a music box probe droid, to much more. The e-mail system was also really cool in which you got messages from friends, general news alerts, and even spam. My personal favorite was an advertisement from a prosthetic hand company with the slogan "If it's good enough for Luke Skywalker, it's good enough for you!"

Ace never did get that date with Lady Blue though :sigh:.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Im playing Assassins Creed 3 and there's one part near the beginning where you are learning how to hunt. The game gives you bait and you are supposed to creep through some grass, drop the bait and sneak up on a deer while its eating. After failing to somehow lure this deer without being seen like 5 times, I just ran up full speed to the deer keeping a tree between us so it didn't see me until the last second and just killed it in the most un-assassin-like way possible.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Just got done playing World in Conflict again, the really nice details:

Zoom in close enough on a unit and it starts talking, NATO/Soviet units in their native language.

...god dammit bannon...

Colonel Sawyer diagrams get more and more simple until it's literally napkin cartons and ketchup

You can tell someone (Private Uris) is about to get shot because you can see a gleam off a sniper scope near a chimney.

ah if only they weren't stuck making far cry

That game was great because it really didn't make much sense but they KNEW why you were playing it. I probably wasted $5b worth of munitions blowing up $500,000 worth of soviet troops, and another $5b making sure that every single non-strategic asset in that game, including trees, were blown the gently caress up.

Scorched Earth, you soviet bastards.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

oldpainless posted:

Im playing Assassins Creed 3 and there's one part near the beginning where you are learning how to hunt. The game gives you bait and you are supposed to creep through some grass, drop the bait and sneak up on a deer while its eating. After failing to somehow lure this deer without being seen like 5 times, I just ran up full speed to the deer keeping a tree between us so it didn't see me until the last second and just killed it in the most un-assassin-like way possible.

That will be how most of your hunting kills will be obtained, running through woods and unexpectedly finding yourself next to stabbable wildlife. I think what they want you to do in that sequence is drop the bait under a tree limb, climb the tree and then death from above bambi, I'm not sure you can even really sneak up on deer in the open in any meaningful way.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

SiKboy posted:

That will be how most of your hunting kills will be obtained, running through woods and unexpectedly finding yourself next to stabbable wildlife. I think what they want you to do in that sequence is drop the bait under a tree limb, climb the tree and then death from above bambi, I'm not sure you can even really sneak up on deer in the open in any meaningful way.

The only hunting I ever bothered to do was doing dramatic badass swoopy slow-mo aerial kills. That'll teach you to hop around under trees minding your own business, bunny rabbit.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's the best way to make sure the pelt is perfect, too.

I also like to outrun small animals and kill them with the hidden blade. Foxes, raccoons and beavers are stupid easy to kill that way; bait and snares really aren't necessary.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ace never did get that date with Lady Blue though :sigh:.

Freakin' Empire. :smith: Also I'm still waiting to get revenge on Uncle Anton. :argh:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

In Sleeping Dogs, if you dismount a motorcycle while driving it and you have a pistol you can shoot the motorcycle to make it instantly explode, which is amazingly impractical but fun to do.

You can do that with cars too.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

scarycave posted:

In the ending when the tower collapses, he's still doing that while everyone cheers, presuambly because Croaker is next to him making puns.

Shovel Knight is a good game, because unlike the games its trying to emulate such as old mega-man games, you have infinite lives.
You can mess up without fear of having to restart an entire level and at the same time the money penalty makes you not want to take things lightly.
The games really try to imitate the clasic games while still adding a lot of nice touches.

Since the game is based on megaman you can't actually duck, but if you try to press down, Shovel knight will try to squat and lower himself only a pixel in height.

Also it took me a real long time to realize since shovel knight being a blue knight in armor is clearly a reference to megaman, then shield knight is obviously a reference to protoman.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Reading this stuff kills me, because I backed it on Kickstarter but they still haven't finished their Mac port. :(

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
The open level design in Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes makes a bunch of mechanics that have always been in the series actually work for the first time. The binoculars are useful now, sabotage is a valid stealth mechanic (like if you blow up a jeep it diverts nearby guys from their posts to where the jeep was, instead of just pulling every guard in the level-corridor onto your position), and escaping from alerts is a really active, responsive process now, where you try to break sight-lines and move in unexpected ways, instead of (for example) hiding in a tree stump for five minutes as guards flood the level, only to have them inevitably find you and stomp on your balls.

The pricing is such a rip-off that it's hard to recommend and I don't want to encourage a paradigm of $30 demos for AAA games but god damnit it's really good

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
It might come bundled with TPP when that comes out, or it might go on sale leading up to TPP's release. :shrug:

And of course there's steam sales :steam::hf::whatup:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
My favorite little thing in Phantom Pain is that Phantom Pain is apparently coming out on Steam. :woop:

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Anatharon posted:

My favorite little thing in Phantom Pain is that Phantom Pain is apparently coming out on Steam. :woop:

Metal Gear is my favorite little thing in games. :swoon:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Generic American posted:

Metal Gear is my favorite little thing in games. :swoon:

Box isn't orange, 4/10 :colbert:.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Box isn't orange, 4/10 :colbert:.

of course not, its a steambox system.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
In Hotline Miami (the first one) the mafia chief that is behind everything foreshadows that he isn't, actually. One of his only lines is that he "hates phones", and how do you get all your assignments?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In Deus Ex: Human Revolution there are quite a few little things I really like.

On some of the PCs you hack into you'll find a futuristic version of "I'm a Nigerian prince" emails.

If you find the code for something it will be displayed when you're interacting with the relevant numberpad, rather than having to trawl through all the datapads/emails etc. you picked up looking for it.

There's a talk show playing on a lot of radios you walk by in-game hosted by a conspircacy nut, but everything he talks about is actually happening in the story.

The most recent thing I found was while replaying the production plant level. There are shipping containers with QR codes on them. Scanning them with your phone actually leads to a website based on the game.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Praetorian Mage posted:

You also didn't get to see it on a uniform; you saw them in the in-game datapad which was divided into sections for each campaign. I think it was much better to be able to see all your stuff at once, so that was disappointing.

Yeah, but TIE Fighter did have that sick-rear end arm tattoo that got more and more grandiose each time you ranked up in the Emperor's Circle, or whatever it was called.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

EmmyOk posted:

There's a talk show playing on a lot of radios you walk by in-game hosted by a conspircacy nut, but everything he talks about is actually happening in the story.

Most, if not all, of the music used on Lazarus's show is taken from the original Deus Ex. You can also hear someone whistling the Deus Ex theme while walking around Detroit.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, but TIE Fighter did have that sick-rear end arm tattoo that got more and more grandiose each time you ranked up in the Emperor's Circle, or whatever it was called.

Every so often I go looking to see if LucasArts/Disney/Whoever owns it now has released Tie Fighter in a format that could run on modern hardware. So far, I've been disappointed. Has anyone else had better luck?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Nth Doctor posted:

Every so often I go looking to see if LucasArts/Disney/Whoever owns it now has released Tie Fighter in a format that could run on modern hardware. So far, I've been disappointed. Has anyone else had better luck?

Couldn't you just run it on DOSBox?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Morpheus posted:

This still counts if you're referring to the Windows 95 version, incidentally. It's entirely possible to install a copy of it inside DOSBox. Windows 98 works too, but it's not fully supported for it like 95 is.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Morpheus posted:

God, I am a dumb.

Now to find the disks and manual from 20 years ago...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

That game was great because it really didn't make much sense but they KNEW why you were playing it. I probably wasted $5b worth of munitions blowing up $500,000 worth of soviet troops, and another $5b making sure that every single non-strategic asset in that game, including trees, were blown the gently caress up.

Scorched Earth, you soviet bastards.

The last mission when they let you go nuts with support call ins is the best. 3 tanks in a street? Carpet bomb. 1 tank? Carpet bomb. Empty street? Carpet bomb. Any landmark? Bunker buster, then carpet bomb.

Mercenaries on the Xbox was similar, near the end of the game you essentially get more money then you can realistically spend, so now every checkpoint gets a missile strike. Shame Mercs2 was garbage.