Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
:holymoley:

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

what's this guy tryna say?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

The idea that one can forego logic and become a true gaming is the way of the future. Once we allow these alternative realities to become out own we can interpret the ancient cryptic language l33t and become one with fatal1ty.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
The true profit of having Ben Kuchera defend you on a lovely website

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
games journalism

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

we must shed ourselves of the desire for worldly things to attain the nirvana that the kuch inhabits

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

It's its not it's

Dec 26, 2012

ben kuchera is our misfortune

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
"no one cares about sales. they care about profits."

i don't get this statement. aren't profits entirely dependent on sales?

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

Action Tortoise posted:

No, because, you see *insert panicked rambling*

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

porting a game to two consoles does require more work and money than making it for just one. The chance that the increased game coverage wouldn't make that money back is really low though, yea.

Dec 26, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

not 100% entirely because you have sticky things like profit margins and price expectations on different platforms but yeah selling more games is more profit. you could make an argument that being timed exclusive isnt a bad thing from the publisher perspective (anyone who is going to buy the game will buy it after whatever delay is available anyway, there will be double dippers, they get money/perks from microsoft for doing it) but he is probably not making that argument so

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

01011001 posted:

not 100% entirely because you have sticky things like profit margins and price expectations on different platforms but yeah selling more games is more profit. you could make an argument that being timed exclusive isnt a bad thing from the publisher perspective (anyone who is going to buy the game will buy it after whatever delay is available anyway, there will be double dippers, they get money/perks from microsoft for doing it) but he is probably not making that argument so

also there's the part where he says that he's still right because the sales don't matter, but then literally two minutes later he's also right because somehow this will also help sales, which don't matter, unless they do matter

Dec 26, 2012

the conclusion to draw is that ben kuchera is somehow making money off this, despite being as demonstrably terrible at his stated job as possible, because his actual job is to get chucklefucks to visit the site he spews his dumb opinions on. do not give polygon hits. thanks

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

also there's the part where he says that he's still right because the sales don't matter, but then literally two minutes later he's also right because somehow this will also help sales, which don't matter, unless they do matter

If he's being paid by Microsoft, the game sales don't matter, only the increased console sales that an exclusive will bring in. And really, what normal gamer would be excited by exclusivity in this day and age.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

01011001 posted:

okay. that makes more sense.

DoubleDonut posted:

yeah, it's how he's repeating sales over and over again that's really confusing.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Microsoft gets a big name game that's exclusive to their platform when it matters most: when the game is new and before the holidays. If you want to play the game for Xmas, you need an xbone. Square Enix probably gets risk mitigation out of it: Microsoft cuts them a deal where they forego the distribution costs that they usually take for releasing a game on their platform.

Obviously, Square might be betting that the lost sales involved in the decision will be smaller than what they'll save from Microsoft's cut, especially since they'll recoup some of the initial losses when releasing on the other platforms later on.

It's more likely though that they think that they might ultimately be making less money from this in the future, but the deal offers a good amount of much needed security, in which the deal assures a minimum amount of profit. Less profits out of a critical success for sure, but if things go terribly wrong, the deal assures that Microsoft ends up absorbing part of the blow.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
It's coming to the other platforms after the holidays anyways I don't see the big deal.

So Microsoft tricks some guys into buying the Xbox, that won't save it from it's eventual crash.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

No Such Thing posted:

If he's being paid by Microsoft, the game sales don't matter, only the increased console sales that an exclusive will bring in. And really, what normal gamer would be excited by exclusivity in this day and age.
If you go on a console war thread like the xbox one bashing thread they will defend exclusivity (since lots of them bash the xbone because they actually defend some other console)

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

program666 posted:

If you go on a console war thread like the xbox one bashing thread they will defend exclusivity (since lots of them bash the xbone because they actually defend some other console)

It's not so much as defending another console so much as defending the standard that other consoles established.

The Bone is pretty much the lowest tier console you could want. It's everything you never wanted,

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's not so much as defending another console so much as defending the standard that other consoles established.
Yeah, that's what I said, console users are gonna pleb. If you think people won't get excited about exclusivity you've got another think coming.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Gimbal lock posted:

Microsoft gets a big name game that's exclusive to their platform when it matters most: when the game is new and before the holidays. If you want to play the game for Xmas, you need an xbone. Square Enix probably gets risk mitigation out of it: Microsoft cuts them a deal where they forego the distribution costs that they usually take for releasing a game on their platform.

Obviously, Square might be betting that the lost sales involved in the decision will be smaller than what they'll save from Microsoft's cut, especially since they'll recoup some of the initial losses when releasing on the other platforms later on.

It's more likely though that they think that they might ultimately be making less money from this in the future, but the deal offers a good amount of much needed security, in which the deal assures a minimum amount of profit. Less profits out of a critical success for sure, but if things go terribly wrong, the deal assures that Microsoft ends up absorbing part of the blow.

Sure, that makes sense. If he had used words that actually meant things instead of vomiting up a self-contradiction in the rush to prove that He Is The Correct Person On The Internet, this thread wouldn't exist. But then he wouldn't be Ben Kuchera.

Edit: I didn't read the original article; I'm mostly just laughing at a "journalist" having arguments on twitter that are about as coherent as the average gamefaqs post.

Also can we just have a dedicated Games Journalism Making Me Lol Thread? I like to know the stupid poo poo games writers do but I'm not willing to actually follow any of them except Giant Bomb

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
I get how it's good for Microsoft, but I don't get how it's good for Tomb Raider sales since it would sell more on five systems than on one. I also have doubts about it being better for Tomb Raider profits but I guess SE is getting a big fat pile of cash from Microsoft.

Trick question really because Ben is retarded and the true Tomb Raider game is coming out on all systems in early December

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Please, tell me more about how the Xbox One (the third Xbox lmao), sucks

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Please, tell me more about how the Xbox One (the third Xbox lmao), sucks

oh boy have I got the thread for you, friend

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
i liked ben kuchera for about three, maybe four articles when he was still writing for penny arcade, and i started realizing what a loving sack of doorknobs he is

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Rise of the Tomb Raider is going to have you fight mammoths, sabertooths, Dinosaurs, bears, polar bears, Orcas, and giant penguins apparently.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Hahaha these empty suit fucktards sure are out of touch. Hilarious poo poo as always from the Tweet Repeat Crew.

Dec 26, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

Also can we just have a dedicated Games Journalism Making Me Lol Thread? I like to know the stupid poo poo games writers do but I'm not willing to actually follow any of them except Giant Bomb

start one if you think you can make one thats actually funny instead of abject garbage like every other similar thread on this forum

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Games journalism isn't funny to laugh at. Go find posts from the Games forum on this website for some serious LOLs.

dendy crew
Jun 1, 2011

Dendy!, Dendy!, We love Dendy! Dendy - Everyone plays it!
this is not an osamu sato thread

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

dendy crew posted:

this is not an osamu sato thread

You are correct.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

hey look ben kuchera is being stupid as hell, what are the odds

surc
Aug 17, 2004

So I guess there's a new tomb raider coming out is the moral of all this? Is it a sequel to the last new tomb raider? Becasue I enjoyed that one quite a lot when I bought it on sale.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Y-Hat posted:

hey look ben kuchera is being stupid as hell, what are the odds

*looks at odds*

Uhm, well, er, that is to say, they are *adjusts bowtie* they're very good. I mean, as close to being one hundread percent without being, uh *shrugs emphatically* one hundred percent.

*coughs, artificially*

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Being a games journalist looks like fun, where in the seven hells do you even apply for a job like that? IS it like a strictly a west coast profession because I have seen nothing in the east coast for positions like that.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
THE NEW TOMB RAIDER 2 IS GOING TO COME OUT ON THE X-BOX ONE BEFORE THE PLAY-STATION 4 OR THE PERSONAL-COMPUTER

YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS

*hauls out massive, giant sign that says IT'S A BAD GAME*

THAT MEANS IT'S A BAD GAME. OKAY? NOW, WHEN IT IS FREELY AVAILABLE ON OTHER PLATFORMS THAT DO NOT BEGIN WITH THE LETTER X, BUT INSTEAD WITH THE MAGICAL LETTER P - P CAN MEAN PLAYSTATION OR PERSONAL COMPUTER; PLEASE REMEMBER THIS - THEN AND ONLY THEN WILL THE NEW TOMB RAIDER 2 MAGICALLY TRANSFORM INTO AN OKAY GAME. OKAY? I DON'T loving CARE HOW FUN OR GOOD IT IS; SINCE IT DIDN'T COME OUT ON MY PLATFORM OF CHOICE FIRST, IT IS FOREVER TAINTED, AND FILLED WITH COMEDY-FAIL AIDS, AND SUCKS, AND MAYBE ONE DAY I'LL LIKE IT.

BUT NOT DURING THIS GENERATION!!!!!!

SQUEENIX - YOU SHOULDA TALKED TO ME BEFORE YOU DID ANY OF THIS, BUT YOU DIDN'T, AND NOW YOU SOW THE SEEDS OF RUIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

surc posted:

So I guess there's a new tomb raider coming out is the moral of all this? Is it a sequel to the last new tomb raider? Becasue I enjoyed that one quite a lot when I bought it on sale.

i like what they did but i really want lara to flip over tigers and shoot them to death again.

• Locked thread