Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

raditts posted:

That's because they did. They laid off it towards the end of the series but a good bit of it was insufferable anime poo poo at the beginning.

I dunno, I don't think Go is much better with the grating and unfunny humor. I haven't seen the original in a while but still. I don't think it's that bad but seriously how the gently caress can you complain about anime poo poo and then turn around and praise "LOL WAFFLES XD" as hilarious? Like I don't even really see the connection between anime and that style of humor, definitely stuff like the original Teen Titans was heavy on it but it seems to me more of a "childrens' cartoon" thing, not an anime thing. I honestly don't think TTG is any better at all. Uncle Grandpa is worse than any anime I can think of, most cartoons aren't any better to be honest. Maybe you don't like anime reaction faces / art style in particular? That's about the only thing I can think of that was really specific to the wave of anime stuff around when the original came out.

In general yeah I don't really get the love for TTG. It's not bad, it's not good, it's completely unremarkable. The humor is probably as grating or more than the original, just because the original wasn't all 'comedy' all the time, as opposed to TTG which is 11 minutes of lol zany. The only draw it has seems to be trolling fans of the original series on the internet

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Waffles waffles waffles, waffles.

:waffles:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

icantfindaname posted:

I dunno, I don't think Go is much better with the grating and unfunny humor. I haven't seen the original in a while but still. I don't think it's that bad but seriously how the gently caress can you complain about anime poo poo and then turn around and praise "LOL WAFFLES XD" as hilarious? Like I don't even really see the connection between anime and that style of humor

Neither do I so I don't even know why you're using that as an example :confused:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Can we at least all agree that, without a strong DC Cartoon to bite at their heels, Marvel's been fart-arsing around with their offerings?

Unless this is truly Bizarreo world and everyone here likes Ultimate Spider-man.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I liked the GameCube game

New episode of Gumball is tripping me out

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

Can we at least all agree that, without a strong DC Cartoon to bite at their heels, Marvel's been fart-arsing around with their offerings?

Unless this is truly Bizarreo world and everyone here likes Ultimate Spider-man.

Well, even when Batman and Superman were on Kids WB, Marvel had Spider-Man and the Marvel Action Hour (and Hulk!). They've never really been that good at cartoons.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Oh totally, Marvel cartoons are pretty crappy right now. And they weren't all that good in the 90s either bar some kinda okay exceptions. Wolverine & the X-Men, Spectacular Spider-man and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes are probably the only great cartoons Marvel has ever been involved with.

The new Gumball was pretty amazing. Clarence continues to be cool.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Oh totally, Marvel cartoons are pretty crappy right now. And they weren't all that good in the 90s either bar some kinda okay exceptions. Wolverine & the X-Men, Spectacular Spider-man and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes are probably the only great cartoons Marvel has ever been involved with.

X-Men Evolution wasn't too bad, at least after the first season or so when they dropped that dreadful "X-Men High School Babies" crap.
Even with a pretty good DC live-action show in Arrow (and Flash coming up, and maybe possibly Gotham won't be poo poo?) Marvel is still pretty garbage in that arena with Agents of SHIELD too. Just turns out they hit a real gold mine with their movie franchises.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Does CN play diary of a wimpy kid every saturday?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sometimes once or 5 times

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
The Toy Story of Terror TV special is coming to DVD soon, and they're adding fake commercials where the actual commercials went, including this pitch perfect PSA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i72NOK_5XhM

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Gann Jerrod posted:

The Toy Story of Terror TV special is coming to DVD soon, and they're adding fake commercials where the actual commercials went, including this pitch perfect PSA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i72NOK_5XhM

Haha, that's awesome.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
You get 2 or 3 of those on a DVD and baby you got a stew goin'

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Gann Jerrod posted:

It's even funnier when you realize Combat Carl is Carl Weathers. I dunno if he's in the short or not, I never saw it on TV, but that's perfect. A perfect parody all around.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Gann Jerrod posted:

Oh man, now I'm kinda hating that I'll see The Toy Story Time Forgot on tv, I want commercials for those 80s mech dinosaurs instead of boring normal commercials :allears:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Gann Jerrod posted:

PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Don't...

Don't...

Can't... Take... The bait...

So old... But...

Babe Magnet posted:

PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

OH poo poo GET THE gently caress OUT god dammit

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

DivisionPost posted:

Don't...

Don't...

So old... But...

My God, those smelled good...

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Who wants a body massage?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Gann Jerrod posted:

Pixar animators getting to beard out over old-school animation is always so great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JxsZEZPkYE

DivisionPost posted:

Don't...

Don't...

So old... But...

The fact that GI Joe PSA parodies are still great going on 30 years is amazing. Almost as amazing as the fact that Community made an entire episode making fun of GI Joe and it wasn't as good as this single 45 second short :troll:

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Pixar animators getting to beard out over old-school animation is always so great.

Oh holy gently caress Synchro-Vox. Used in a not-terrible manner at that.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's even better with the in-character commentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R44MvXeEQw

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The fact that GI Joe PSA parodies are still great going on 30 years is amazing. Almost as amazing as the fact that Community made an entire episode making fun of GI Joe and it wasn't as good as this single 45 second short :troll:

What parodies are older than the Fensler ones? I'd love to see some from the same era as the show.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gann Jerrod posted:

It's even better with the in-character commentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R44MvXeEQw
Man there are probably so many takes of Jackson swearing by accident.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

achillesforever6 posted:

Man there are probably so many takes of Jackson swearing by accident.

They made me a white guy.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DID YOU OKAY THE RABBIT?!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Just repeating what alot of people said about how last weeks Gumball ruled pretty hard. It's funny how this season most of the episodes have either been horror movie parodies or meta episodes about how weird it it to live in a cartoon.

This week TTG also ruled and was yet another episode that ended iwth most of the cast being dead.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

axleblaze posted:

Just repeating what alot of people said about how last weeks Gumball ruled pretty hard. It's funny how this season most of the episodes have either been horror movie parodies or meta episodes about how weird it it to live in a cartoon.

This week TTG also ruled and was yet another episode that ended iwth most of the cast being dead.

Un-dead.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

axleblaze posted:

Ahem, they passed

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Oh hey, I just found out about this thread.

Out of curiosity, how good are Batman Beyond and Code Lyoko? I remember them from years and years ago, always said I'd try and find time to watch it, and might as well as long as they are actually decent. :v: I kind of miss the show about the robot who didn't want to be a weapon, being helped by a blonde teenager. Zeta I think it was called? Watching all of this stuff in latin spanish makes it impossible to know how decent the dialogues and stuff were.

Also, was Duel Masters as tongue-in-check in the States as it was in Latin America? For the people that were always amused by how seriously Yugioh took itself, it was great. Back then.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Code Lyoko is pretty fun, though I got bored maybe half a season from the ending on my rewatch. I'll admit that if you remember the plot at all it's not quite as interesting the second time around (but still not bad).

Though the show is pretty hilarious once it becomes clear that Aelita is the only loving valuable member of the team anymore because she can fly and shoot energy balls in addition to deactivating towers. Oh, and can operate the supercomputer about as well as Jeremie.

Not exactly a thorough review, but there you go.

vvv The CG really isn't that bad. Especially not compared to the likes of ReBoot or Max Steele.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Aug 17, 2014

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Azran posted:

Oh hey, I just found out about this thread.

Out of curiosity, how good are Batman Beyond and Code Lyoko? I remember them from years and years ago, always said I'd try and find time to watch it, and might as well as long as they are actually decent. :v: I kind of miss the show about the robot who didn't want to be a weapon, being helped by a blonde teenager. Zeta I think it was called? Watching all of this stuff in latin spanish makes it impossible to know how decent the dialogues and stuff were.

Also, was Duel Masters as tongue-in-check in the States as it was in Latin America? For the people that were always amused by how seriously Yugioh took itself, it was great. Back then.

Batman Beyond and Code Lyoko are both very much products of times when they were made. BB has aged better mostly on account of Dini's strong art style and, I hate to say it, "mature" writing relative to the earlier BTAS, but it's still what people from the 90's (though the show ran from '99 to '01) thought the future would look like, so get ready for lots of cyberpunk! If you can stand that, I imagine you'll get about the same mileage as you would from any of the other DC animated shows. I liked it, anyways.

For me, watching Code Lyoko today is like trying to watch ReBoot when Code Lyoko was made--CGI does not age well, especially on TV. It's also a French show, so to me it might as well be anime on account of how bizarre and alien I find just about everything about it. Considering the creator went on to work on actual anime, basically ask yourself "do I want to watch dubbed anime with dated CGI aimed at kids?" PROBABLY NOT

Four Score fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Aug 17, 2014

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Haha, yeah, I guess I will pass. Now that I look at it, they did have big foreheads.
Now that you mention CGI not aging well, I was looking for a show I remember watching before Reboot, and it was basically my introduction to CGI: Shadow Raiders

Holy poo poo did that show age badly. Still, it was pretty interesting if only for the idea of a planet eating whole worlds and having to lit the world engines just to escape from its literal claws. It had a really weird concept of the fundamental elements too, because it had fire, rock, ice and bone.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Azran posted:

Duel Masters is a complete farce. I mostly watched it when half awake so it took me a while to catch on to the fact that it didn't take itself seriously at all. Though according to Wikipedia the comedy element was added almost entirely by the localization so it didn't look like a Yu-Gi-Oh knock off. Which is a decision I fully endorse even if I didn't really watch the show much.

I wonder if the Latin America version was localized from the American version, which would be weird, but would explain why they're both inexplicably comical compared to what Wikipedia claims about the Japanese version.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

First Bass posted:

Batman Beyond and Code Lyoko are both very much products of times when they were made. BB has aged better mostly on account of Dini's strong art style and, I hate to say it, "mature" writing relative to the earlier BTAS, but it's still what people from the 90's (though the show ran from '99 to '01) thought the future would look like, so get ready for lots of cyberpunk! If you can stand that, I imagine you'll get about the same mileage as you would from any of the other DC animated shows. I liked it, anyways.

Batman Beyond exists in this weird place where it tries to be mature but at the same time comes off as juvenile because every other episode is a Very Special Episode where Terry learns that steroids are bad or furries are evil.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only episode I remember of BB was when he goes up to his family and says, "I'm... Batman." And then they laugh at him.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jsor posted:

Duel Masters is a complete farce. I mostly watched it when half awake so it took me a while to catch on to the fact that it didn't take itself seriously at all. Though according to Wikipedia the comedy element was added almost entirely by the localization so it didn't look like a Yu-Gi-Oh knock off. Which is a decision I fully endorse even if I didn't really watch the show much.

I wonder if the Latin America version was localized from the American version, which would be weird, but would explain why they're both inexplicably comical compared to what Wikipedia claims about the Japanese version.

The all time champion of fun dubs is the Ghost Stories dub, which also transformed a bad show into a good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tigp8bqDt1s

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Batman Beyond exists in this weird place where it tries to be mature but at the same time comes off as juvenile because every other episode is a Very Special Episode where Terry learns that steroids are bad or furries are evil.
Kind of in the same boat as Static Shock where its obvious that the network wanted to make a show that appealed to a tween demo and because of that had to have those Very Special Episodes

Batman Beyond is worth it for Return of the Joker, that time travel JLU two parter, and "Epilogue" which was supposed to be the whole series finale for the DCAU. (Ends perfectly on a remake of the very first scene in BTAS with a updated score)

God I love the DCAU, even though there is a lot of nostalgia blinding me of the bad parts :allears:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Corek posted:

The all time champion of fun dubs is the Ghost Stories dub, which also transformed a bad show into a good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tigp8bqDt1s

Not shown in that clip is Sabrina The Teenage Witch's Salem the Cat starring as himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

HorseRenoir posted:

Uncle Grandpa is returning next Thursday, replacing new episodes of Regular Show. It's not going anywhere.
I was surprised to read that "Real Date" is the last new episode of Regular Show that we're gonna get until next year. Granted, it does feel like a fitting end to this season, and the guys making the show haven't had a break in a really long time, but to replace it with this?

Also TTG is a good show. It's a breath of fresh air in this era of super-serious superhero movie franchises.