Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I like Pratchett a whole lot and this book is real chill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

yeah it's a fun read. clever, easy, satisfying

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough
It's a decent and entertaining book, especially as it has two authors which kills most books dead. The maggot telephone is great.

Try 'The Master and Margarita' by Mikhail Bulgakov if you're not a Christian, and 'Behold the Man' by Michael Moorcock if you are (the Satanic Verses may work for Muslims, but frankly the plot moves like magical treacle for anyone not innately scandalised by the idea that God might be married).

Actually, try both, who could hate an author genuinely called Michael Moorcock.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Carnival of Shrews posted:

It's a decent and entertaining book, especially as it has two authors which kills most books dead. The maggot telephone is great.

Try 'The Master and Margarita' by Mikhail Bulgakov if you're not a Christian, and 'Behold the Man' by Michael Moorcock if you are (the Satanic Verses may work for Muslims, but frankly the plot moves like magical treacle for anyone not innately scandalised by the idea that God might be married).

Ignore this idiot and read Mort, it's a funny Prattchet book if you enjoy the character of Death

naem
May 29, 2011

Same

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i like how pratchett's latest books are depressingly bad attempts to wrap up a fantasy world, subsequently marring the joy i took in his earlier books

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.
half of it is good but the parts written by neil gaiman are garbage

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

The Satanic Verses seems like it'd be perfect for a fan of Terry Pratchett.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

scalded schlong posted:

i like how pratchett's latest books are depressingly bad attempts to wrap up a fantasy world, subsequently marring the joy i took in his earlier books

well he's a dead man walking, clock's ticking, candle is at an end, etc etc et

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I don't "read", OP, so no thank you.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Are these funny joke books with jokes about the apocalypse because they sound like they're not.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
It's pretty good but there are several characters who were completely superfluous to the story line. Several groups of people make it to the "ground zero" at the end of the book, and if you think about it, none of them needed to be there at all for the ending to happen. The characters were fun, like the angel and demon buddies, but what did they ever actually do? Same with the horsemen. Same with the prophesy couple. Seems like it could have come to together a little better.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I didn't like the Pulsifer stuff much at all. Also there was like a 150+ page gap between Aziraphale/Crowley appearances which I wasn't a fan of.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Read Candide by Voltaire. It's literally the best price of satire ever written. It's not the literal apocalypse but it's p funny to read all the terrible poo poo that happens in a never ending poo poo shower.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Best part was how to grow plants

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
What does Pratchett write? I recognize the name for some reason. Is he like Don DeLillo? He has the kind of name of a guy that would write like Don DeLillo.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

Hobohemian posted:

What does Pratchett write? I recognize the name for some reason. Is he like Don DeLillo? He has the kind of name of a guy that would write like Don DeLillo.

He's not like Don DeLillo at all. He's more like a modern version of Laurence Sterne.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hobohemian posted:

It's mostly like Clive Cussler. Suspense thrillers with a lot of classic cars and hot babes. He does some YA stuff too, like James Patterson.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

half of it is good but the parts written by neil gaiman terry pratchett are garbage

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
Though he uses a variety of different styles in his books. Pratchett's at his funniest when he mixes Elizabethan drama with Swiftian satire.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kelfeftaf posted:

Though he uses a variety of different styles in his books. Pratchett's at his funniest when he mixes Elizabethan drama with Swiftian satire.
Haha, yeah, I can't enjoy my good airport fiction unless I pretend it's also something British and from the past, because I think that's what literature is.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

It's too bad the rumored movie adaptation by Terry Gilliam has somehow become a TV adaptation by Terry Jones, instead.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

egon_beeblebrox posted:

It's too bad the rumored movie adaptation by Terry Gilliam has somehow become a TV adaptation by Terry Jones, instead.
Back in 2008, Sam Raimi was attached to a Wee Free Men movie.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

someone on SA said earlier and i agree completely that you can tell the parts Pratchett wrote and the parts Gaiman wrote because the Pratchett parts are funny and clever and the Gaiman parts are boring and suck poo poo

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

someone on SA said earlier and i agree completely that you can tell the parts Pratchett wrote and the parts Gaiman wrote because the Pratchett parts are funny and clever and the Gaiman parts are boring and suck poo poo
What are you talking about, Gaiman's portions were amazing, the Four Horsemen were extremely clever and interesting. Remember how the one ran a diet company, and the other was Looten Plunder from Captain Planet?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

pratchett also said that working with gaiman put him off collaborating forever.

i can believe this because gaiman is a huge dingus whose main audience is chubby teen goths

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

bulgakov is a really strange guy, even for a russian

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FirstPersonShitter posted:

i can believe this because gaiman is a huge dingus whose main audience is chubby teen goths
This is also clearly untrue because Pratchett has two volumes out of a collaborative sci-fi series.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I'd never heard this. Got a source? I'd believe it.

He writes lovely episodes of "Doctor Who" now, so he's also got the chubby teen nerd crowd. I say this as a fan of Doctor Who.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
Now I have to read this good-rear end book. I've never read a collaboration before, and I want to see how messy it can be.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

What are you talking about, Gaiman's portions were amazing, the Four Horsemen were extremely clever and interesting. Remember how the one ran a diet company, and the other was Looten Plunder from Captain Planet?

no death was extremely clever and interesting, the other three were boring poo poo. death being, of course, pratchett's character

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

no death was extremely clever and interesting, the other three were boring poo poo
You mean the version of Death that clearly borrowed from Pratchett rather than Gaiman?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

You mean the version of Death that clearly borrowed from Pratchett rather than Gaiman?

well yeah that's my point, pratchett good, gaiman bad

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kelfeftaf posted:

Now I have to read this good-rear end book. I've never read a collaboration before, and I want to see how messy it can be.
If you didn't know it was a collaboration you'd think it was one author who threw a lot of ideas at the wall and they didn't all stick.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
famine reminded me of something out of early hellblazer, which is not a terrible thing

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

If you didn't know it was a collaboration you'd think it was one author who threw a lot of ideas at the wall and they didn't all stick.

Fair description

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Wait? This is a collaborative book? What kind of lovely loving author collaborates with anybody but their editor?

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

Hobohemian posted:

Wait? This is a collaborative book? What kind of lovely loving author collaborates with anybody but their editor?

Authors who write genre fiction.

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!

Hobohemian posted:

ezra pound collaborated with the nazis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

paranoid randroid posted:

bulgakov is a really strange guy, even for a russian

heart of a dog

• Locked thread