Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Zaggitz posted:

THERE WAS A FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRE FIGHT! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsuH1msEkvM

That movie is loving stupid in the best ways. gently caress the sequel tho.

The best thing to come from that movie was Overnight. Holy poo poo was that documentary amazing and shows how awful a person he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Mu Zeta posted:

Some MMA fighter changed his name to War Machine.

Dog the Bounty Hunter v. War Machine: Rise of the Avengers 3

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Ravane posted:

Dog the Bounty Hunter v. War Machine: Rise of the Avengers 3

I understood that reference, brah.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well the Strain got picked up for a second season, is that show worth a poo poo?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Well the Strain got picked up for a second season, is that show worth a poo poo?

Lot of mixed opinions on it.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

zoux posted:

I've found every episode entertaining, but it feels like I'm still waiting to find out what the show will actually be like.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Junkenstein posted:

I've found every episode entertaining, but it feels like I'm still waiting to find out what the show will actually be like.

I'm a little behind on like episode 3, so I'm not sure if it's a bad thing, but that's pretty accurate to how I feel too.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's a dumb wacky show and it knows it. It reminds me of Blade 2 except without the Blade character. Or pretend Blade is a 80 year old Armenian.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

We're probably due for about one more episode of set up to actually get a bunch of the characters to meet but after that the pace should pick up quite a bit.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

At this point I would recommend waiting and binge-watch the first season of The Strain, or at least until the story finally gets going.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pinwiz11 posted:

At this point I would recommend waiting and binge-watch the first season of The Strain, or at least until the story finally gets going.

This is my plan, FX puts a lot of stuff up on Netflix eventually.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Karl Pilkington's character on Derek is just Karl Pilkington wearing a ridiculous wig.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

zoux posted:

This is my plan, FX puts a lot of stuff up on Netflix eventually.

Some stuff. I don't know if this is strictly true, but FX has long felt like the most anti-streaming network to me.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Lycus posted:

Some stuff. I don't know if this is strictly true, but FX has long felt like the most anti-streaming network to me.

Justified, American Horror Story, The Bridge, Always Sunny, The League, Archer, The Shield, Rescue Me...

Uh, an easier question to answer is what DON'T they stream

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Toxxupation posted:

Justified, American Horror Story, The Bridge, Always Sunny, The League, Archer, The Shield, Rescue Me...

Uh, an easier question to answer is what DON'T they stream

He could be Canadian. Canadian Netflix is pretty bad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CaptainHollywood posted:

He could be Canadian. Canadian Netflix is pretty bad.

Canadian Netflix actually gets updates to several of those shows faster than the US.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Aphrodite posted:

Canadian Netflix actually gets updates to several of those shows faster than the US.

:raise: are you sure? Here's a quick Netflix show list I found for Canada. Only Archer and The Shield are available.

http://www.bestonnetflix.ca/netflix-tv-shows-list

Also:

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2014/05/29/canada-usa-netflix-tv-shows/

1903 TV Shows vs. 223 TV Shows

CaptainHollywood fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 15, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rescue Me and Justified are both there too.

Archer and Justified update faster than they do on the US one. Or did last I looked anyway.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
RE: Lost

I know they only planned on having Ben in like 3 episodes but later expanded his character, obviously. But did they ever reveal what his original arc was going to be? Like would he just die after 3 episodes or something? Or was he planned on not actually being an Other?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Justified is on Amazon in the US and it updates pretty quickly.

the posted:

I know they only planned on having Ben in like 3 episodes but later expanded his character, obviously. But did they ever reveal what his original arc was going to be? Like would he just die after 3 episodes or something? Or was he planned on not actually being an Other?

Ben was originally just supposed to be one of the Others like fat guy and eye patch. They upjumped him to leader once they realized how decent an actor Michael Emerson was.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

bubblelubble posted:

Karl Pilkington's character on Derek is just Karl Pilkington wearing a ridiculous wig.

I just finished the diary episode of The Ricky Gervais show and I refuse to believe anything other than Karl being the greatest deadpan comedian of all time. We're talking some "The Prestige" level poo poo here, but there's no way in hell that someone actually like Karl could possibly exist and function in society (never mind having a moderately successful career as a radio producer).

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

lelandjs posted:

I just finished the diary episode of The Ricky Gervais show and I refuse to believe anything other than Karl being the greatest deadpan comedian of all time. We're talking some "The Prestige" level poo poo here, but there's no way in hell that someone actually like Karl could possibly exist and function in society (never mind having a moderately successful career as a radio producer).

I would totally pay big money to go to one of his shows; though he'd probably talk for like 20 minutes and then realise he doesn't have to do it in the first place or something and leave.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Irish Joe posted:

Justified is on Amazon in the US and it updates pretty quickly.

I think FX has made exclusive deals with Amazon for several of their shows recently.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Anybody else watching You're The Worst? I thought that I would hate it but it is actually pretty decent. The leads have great chemistry!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's very good. I like the leads a lot more than the couple on Married. Making fun of hipsters is a little tired though.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Mu Zeta posted:

It's very good. I like the leads a lot more than the couple on Married. Making fun of hipsters is a little tired though.

Everyone went into Married thinking it would be the be better show based on the cast but it just isn't, it's lacking something that Your the Worst seems to nail.

Making fun of hipsters never gets tired.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's because Nat Faxon has the most punchable face on TV and they made Judy Greer play a boring character, which isn't something she's good at.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Mu Zeta posted:

It's because Nat Faxon has the most punchable face on TV and they made Judy Greer play a boring character, which isn't something she's good at.

You kind of hit that one right on the head, it would also be a better show of Nat Faxon played the one who was just trying to get by and Judy Greer wanted to hang out and drink all day.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
WKRP in Cincinnati is coming to DVD, complicated music rights issues be damned: http://www.thatericalper.com/2014/08/14/wkrp-in-cincinnati-the-complete-series-is-finally-being-released-on-dvd/

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
You know what else is great? The Meltdown with Jonah and Kumail. I swear, it feels like Comedy Central has been trying the stand-up variety show for years now, and it makes sense that the one they finally got right is the one that Lance Bangs (friend of and go-to documentarian for Spike Jonze) shoots the hell out of each week. I love the informal atmosphere and those chill peeks into the green room with all the comedians just bouncing off each other.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

DivisionPost posted:

You know what else is great? The Meltdown with Jonah and Kumail. I swear, it feels like Comedy Central has been trying the stand-up variety show for years now, and it makes sense that the one they finally got right is the one that Lance Bangs (friend of and go-to documentarian for Spike Jonze) shoots the hell out of each week. I love the informal atmosphere and those chill peeks into the green room with all the comedians just bouncing off each other.

Yeah, I've been really enjoying The Meltdown, especially the green room stuff.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

sbaldrick posted:

Everyone went into Married thinking it would be the be better show based on the cast but it just isn't, it's lacking something that Your the Worst seems to nail.

I've been thinking the opposite. The pilot of Married was so-so (the end was fantastic though where Russ tells the obviously mentally unstable woman that the dog named after her unborn son was hit by a car) but the subsequent episodes really gave Judy Greer a chance to shine and continues in the FX tradition of showcasing the lives of average terrible people. Faxon and Greer have great chemistry as an old married couple who may be sick of each other but really are best friends and a great fit. Brett Gelmen, Jenny Slate (even Paul Reiser) are great too.

Maybe I just like Married alot more because I'm a lot closer to Russ and Lina (in my 30's, married for 5 years) then Jimmy and Gretchen but I feel like You're the Worst is the definition of trying to hard. Yes Jimmy and Gretchen are both emotionally hosed up, they hit you over the head with it non-stop. I like You're the Worst, but it doesn't resonate as much with me as Married does.

I also have a distaste for relationship shows that start off on day 1. They always try to show fake conflict where the lead couple might break up - except you know they won't because that's literally the base of the show. On Married, Russ and Lina's relationship surviving isn't an issue, we know they aren't going to get divorced (unless it's a series finale) so other ideas are explored with real potential consequences.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Here it is, the ultimate TVIV clip: Alison Brie playing a Buffy parody on a failed pilot for a Not Another Teen Movie TV show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWPIVNqJ8K0

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I like Amazon Prime's incredible TV selection, but for two problems. On the box (whose name I forget, but it's hooked to the TV and gives us Prime and Netflix on there), if you go to watch a show, you have to go to More Ways to Watch, and select the bottom option, because the default option is to purchase the episode. Which is pure evil on Amazon's part.
The other issue is that Prime advertises having a wide movie selection, but it doesn't have one. Not, at least, in the batch of movies you can watch if you have a Prime account. There's a few gems, but the gem to garbage ratio is somehow worse than Netflix instant. Almost all the movies I want to watch are not covered in Prime. I put together a watchlist, and it was 12 movies long.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

hcreight posted:

Here it is, the ultimate TVIV clip: Alison Brie playing a Buffy parody on a failed pilot for a Not Another Teen Movie TV show.

Jennifer Lawrence too. Crazy.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

hcreight posted:

And then Jennifer Lawrence shows up for some reason?

Also holy poo poo the idea that a group of people sat down and wrote that and then looked at each other and said "Yeah this is really funny, we should definitely film this" is really depressing.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
J-law started out as a lovely tv star.

hcreight posted:

That dye job is a national tragedy.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

The Nastier Nate posted:

I've been thinking the opposite. The pilot of Married was so-so (the end was fantastic though where Russ tells the obviously mentally unstable woman that the dog named after her unborn son was hit by a car) but the subsequent episodes really gave Judy Greer a chance to shine and continues in the FX tradition of showcasing the lives of average terrible people. Faxon and Greer have great chemistry as an old married couple who may be sick of each other but really are best friends and a great fit. Brett Gelmen, Jenny Slate (even Paul Reiser) are great too.

Maybe I just like Married alot more because I'm a lot closer to Russ and Lina (in my 30's, married for 5 years) then Jimmy and Gretchen but I feel like You're the Worst is the definition of trying to hard. Yes Jimmy and Gretchen are both emotionally hosed up, they hit you over the head with it non-stop. I like You're the Worst, but it doesn't resonate as much with me as Married does.

I also have a distaste for relationship shows that start off on day 1. They always try to show fake conflict where the lead couple might break up - except you know they won't because that's literally the base of the show. On Married, Russ and Lina's relationship surviving isn't an issue, we know they aren't going to get divorced (unless it's a series finale) so other ideas are explored with real potential consequences.

I don't think Faxon and Greer have great chemistry as characters. Both are great when apart but they don't seem to like each other that much and as characters are better when they are apart. Maybe if there was some spark to why they loved each other but it seems to be missing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

J-law started out as a lovely tv star.

Yeah, she was on the Bill Engvall Show.

Remember him? The 4th most popular guy from the Blue Collar Comedy movies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

hcreight posted:

"Failed" is an understatement. This is the most embarrassing thing I've seen since that Wonder Woman pilot.

• Locked thread