Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
God drat way to treat this like the Zapruder film guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

That must've been one magic loogie.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Back, and to the left.....

Back, and to the left....

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Just gonna go ahead and quote this because it's one of my new favorite goon quotes.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Congratulations to Tony Stewart, this will be the biggest sports story of the century to date.

Bigger than Earnhardt, bigger than Sandusky, bigger than The Decision, bigger than any Olympic or World Cup scandal, bigger than anything the NFL happens to poo poo out.

Congrats, Tony. You did it. You are responsible for a death that will be played on the Internet hundreds of thousands of times.

Wow.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Retail Slave posted:

Back, and to the left.....

Back, and to the left....
And here Ward spins around the tire...

And reverse...

Ward spins around the tire...

And reverse...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So apparently if you slow the video down it appears that Ward grabs on to Tony's car as he drives by. The cops also have another video they're looking at and if that turns out to be confirmed it could put this debate to rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3aDXRPLkSM

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 14, 2014

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

leica posted:

So apparently if you slow the video down it appears that Ward grabs on to Tony's car as he drives by. The cops also have another video they're looking at and if that turns out to be confirmed it could put this debate to rest.

Interesting, as one of the local sprint car drivers here was talking about this on Tuesday, and said that after watching the video a bunch of times, he thought that maybe Ward had grabbed the wing to try to jump on the nerf bar, missed and got sucked under - either badly misjudging the speed of the car, or just being a dumb kid making a terrible decision. Of course he's just one more guy speculating, but given that he's driven Sprints for 15 years (and isn't much of a NASCAR fan, to put it kindly) I thought his speculation had a bit more weight than say, Cowherd and co.

The second angle should tell the story if it doesn't pan away as the 45 car passes.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lots of evidence on the kid making horrible decisions, no evidence of Stewart being negligent, but Stewart should be in prison :confused:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Hmm so Ward might have jumped on the car and with muddy driving shoes slipped off the metal tube on the side? I am sold, execute Tony Stewart for being a murdering ahole.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So why do people keep bringing up this "Cowherd" fellow and what the gently caress does he have to do with anything?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

He's a loud voice on ESPN. No idea why people pay attention to him otherwise.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Minto Took posted:

So he's not like a team owner or former driver or anything? The way he kept coming up I thought he was the Flavio of Sprint Cars or something.

Go on, post the picture of the hairy old dude in a man thong with a model in each arm, it's not like this thread can get any worse.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Solkanar512 posted:

So he's not like a team owner or former driver or anything? The way he kept coming up I thought he was the Flavio of Sprint Cars or something.

lol no. He's a stick and ball reporter/talk show host and a generally terrible human being. Google should give good evidence of the latter.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Solkanar512 posted:

So why do people keep bringing up this "Cowherd" fellow and what the gently caress does he have to do with anything?

He's a professional troll and drat good at it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Solkanar512 posted:

Just remain in blissful ignorance of who he is. It's for the best everyone ignore him.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Minto Took posted:

Super mono tone annoying, almost as bas as jay Moore in yelling/screaming.

Watching that slo mo is awesome. Are his arms straight down and locked? What's above his head? Tire?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Stewart will not run this week at Michigan. Veteran Jeff Burton will come out of semi-retirement to replace him.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

The Locator posted:

Interesting, as one of the local sprint car drivers here was talking about this on Tuesday, and said that after watching the video a bunch of times, he thought that maybe Ward had grabbed the wing to try to jump on the nerf bar, missed and got sucked under - either badly misjudging the speed of the car, or just being a dumb kid making a terrible decision. Of course he's just one more guy speculating, but given that he's driven Sprints for 15 years (and isn't much of a NASCAR fan, to put it kindly) I thought his speculation had a bit more weight than say, Cowherd and co.

The second angle should tell the story if it doesn't pan away as the 45 car passes.

InterceptorV8 posted:

I'm still wondering if that kid tried to jump on the nerf bar and got sucked under.

:psyduck:

Goddamn, if I'm right, what do I win?

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
Reflecting back on the video, and not watching it more than the one time which was already enough, unless there were previous laps of racing that indicated a brewing altercation with Ward, Stewart probably had no idea he put the guy in the wall. He definitely didn't intentionally put him there, just cut him off. Stewart wouldn't therefore suspect a guy to run down the track like that.

As far as the throttling before the impact, my limited iRacing experience tells me he was trying to create wheelspin and aim the car somewhere else; obviously the effect would be very little but I'll let a physicist argue that point.

Hopefully the two families can just make peace and move on from this.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
we still don't know for a fact that it's his throttle we hear

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...vwgIaAstc8P8HAQ

Just FYI, take a look at a throttle pedal from a sprint car.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Don't know if anybody's pointed this out, but apparently Ward and Stewart had raced against each other in the past and never had problems. It wasn't their first time on track together.

InterceptorV8 posted:

One free membership to SASCAR, the internet's greatest collection of NASCAR goons.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

InterceptorV8 posted:

An attaboy? :)

Do you race at Canyon Speedway, or did I just do a really good job of subconsciously channeling your post wording into someone else's spoken words in my brain?

:iiam:

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

FuzzySkinner posted:

Tony Stewart [...] really shouldn't be racing these type of things in the first place.

Care to explain your reasoning on this? Because I don't see it.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

The Locator posted:

An attaboy? :)

Do you race at Canyon Speedway, or did I just do a really good job of subconsciously channeling your post wording into someone else's spoken words in my brain?

:iiam:

It's been over 20 years since I last backed it in on a dirt track, so no. I've just seen stupid poo poo, but never this stupid before.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

beejay posted:

Care to explain your reasoning on this? Because I don't see it.

I think he's reached a point in his career where he should be doing these two things.

1.) Focus on his Sprint Cup career. (Which is I thought was fairly close to done prior to this)
2.) Focus on his Sprint Cup and USAC/WOO Teams, along with tracks he owns like Eldora

Now I think him making an "appearance" at the track isn't a bad thing, and I think would do quite a bit better in many ways as being a way to be an "Ambassador" for that form of the sport. He just can do that in other ways I think.

I'm likely walking on shaky ground with this take versus others (especially viking), but I don't think he really needs to do stuff like this.

An argument could be made that say, running "The Chili Bowl" could still be done, among other USAC/WOO events of prestige, but stuff like this just seems like it could be rather risky even prior to this.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
He's not a NASCAR driver that races in sprints, he's a sprint driver that uses NASCAR to fund his operation

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

we still don't know for a fact that it's his throttle we hear

Its really unlikely that it's his throttle. Its possibly the car in front of him. But more realistically it's a car in front of the camera that is out of view. The video does make it appear that he accelerates immediately before the impact, but that is probably him trying to turn the car.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

The Locator posted:

Huh. Not quite enough to say yes but it does look possible.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

The idea that Stewart shouldn't be running these kind of events is pretty dumb. Sprint cars are a ton different than stock cars or open wheel, it isn't like NASCAR is just where you go when you get 'too good' at driving sprint cars. It is not like the pro hockey player that crushes face in a beer league because 'gently caress those guys'. And lets be honest, I bet every single one of those racers, including Ward, were excited to get the chance to race against Tony Stewart.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

darkwolf220 posted:

The idea that Stewart shouldn't be running these kind of events is pretty dumb. Sprint cars are a ton different than stock cars or open wheel, it isn't like NASCAR is just where you go when you get 'too good' at driving sprint cars. It is not like the pro hockey player that crushes face in a beer league because 'gently caress those guys'. And lets be honest, I bet every single one of those racers, including Ward, were excited to get the chance to race against Tony Stewart.

Exactly this.

Fuzzy is just jealous he does these races but won't run the Indy 500.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Personperson14 posted:

Exactly this.

Fuzzy is just jealous he does these races but won't run the Indy 500.

Did you actually read my post?

Did I even remotely mention IndyCar in it?

No?

It has nothing to do with IndyCar, it has everything to do with him not being caught in a situation where this exact type of event occurs.

Minimizing risk.

Stewart could have easily pissed away his professional career with doing what he did that night.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

Did you actually read my post?

Did I even remotely mention IndyCar in it?

No?

It has nothing to do with IndyCar, it has everything to do with him not being caught in a situation where this exact type of event occurs.

Minimizing risk.

Stewart could have easily pissed away his professional career with doing what he did that night.

I agree that he should really only be focusing on Sprint Cup or just run the race team. Minimizing risk, less leg breakage, less one person killed by Tony Stewart.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

You're right, he could be doing more productive things with his time.

Like learning to fly a helicopter ala Davey Allison, or going to a bar, like Rob Moroso.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Maybe the kid only did such a dumb thing because it was Tony Stewart and he figured if he was a macho man who challenged Tony Stewart he would be famous or something. Maybe if it had been some random dude that put him in the wall he stays in his car. But who knows. You can't look at a situation like this and say Stewart shouldn't have been there in the first place. Sure, maybe he'd get better Cup results if he solely dedicated himself there, but maybe not. Maybe he'd be retired by now. Lotta maybes.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

fuseshock posted:

I agree that he should really only be focusing on Sprint Cup or just run the race team. Minimizing risk, less leg breakage, less one person killed by Tony Stewart.

It's also about the money.

He had everything to lose, and really nothing to gain by doing this. At least I could argue running something like "The Chili Bowl" allows one to carry a bit of prestige, and I imagine the risk is substantially lower running an event like the one where his leg broke, and the one where he...you know...killed a guy.

If he wasn't being paid millions of dollars to run cup...

If he wasn't co-running one of the top teams in NASCAR...

If he wasn't trying to build up a short track racing empire..

Then I could understand it. But he's trying to do all of those things.

For reference here's what happened to him LAST SUMMER:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2013/08/06/nascar-tony-stewart-breaks-leg-sprint-car-crash.html

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Boomer The Cannon posted:

You're right, he could be doing more productive things with his time.

Like learning to fly a helicopter ala Davey Allison, or going to a bar, like Rob Moroso.

Really when you think about it Tony Stewart is just like Bo Jackson.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's also about the money.

He had everything to lose, and really nothing to gain by doing this. At least I could argue running something like "The Chili Bowl" allows one to carry a bit of prestige, and I imagine the risk is substantially lower running an event like the one where his leg broke, and the one where he...you know...killed a guy.

If he wasn't being paid millions of dollars to run cup...

If he wasn't co-running one of the top teams in NASCAR...

If he wasn't trying to build up a short track racing empire..

Then I could understand it. But he's trying to do all of those things.

For reference here's what happened to him LAST SUMMER:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2013/08/06/nascar-tony-stewart-breaks-leg-sprint-car-crash.html

Would you look at that, smacked a rear marker on the blind side. You'd think by now people would stop hanging around the right side of his cars.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
If (big IF) it turns out that this kid died because he tried to grab or jump onto a moving sprint car, I hope Smoke and SHR sue his family for millions. IF that's what happened, give that idiot kid a Darwin Award.

It's worth noting for the thousandth time that if the kid had stayed in his car until safety crews arrived and took him off the track he'd still be alive. Smoke and his crew might have kicked his crew's asses if it came to that, but by then it probably would've just been poo poo-talking.

If you have beef with your neighbors, do you run out into the street in front of their cars to yell at them? Doesn't that seem like a really stupid thing to do?

Drivers get banged up, maimed, or killed at racetracks even when they follow safety procedures to the letter. I don't see how walking down into the racing line of a dirt track on foot to yell at somebody driving a racecar is a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

beejay posted:

Maybe the kid only did such a dumb thing because it was Tony Stewart and he figured if he was a macho man who challenged Tony Stewart he would be famous or something.

You have to admit that plan succeeded.

• Locked thread