Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
killaer
Aug 4, 2007
Literally? Seriously??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cis white male
Jul 5, 2014

i'm a fag i'm a lesbian
no it'll actually be brave new world because,

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

cis white male posted:

no it'll actually be brave new world because,

Hug me till you drug me, honey;
Kiss me till I'm in a coma:
Hug me, honey, snuggly bunny;
Love's as good as soma.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Having lived through it, yes, I believe in it. Pretty good year, actually. Graduated from college and everything.

Blahsmack
Oct 25, 2003

ORGY PORGY!

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

yes but they wont even bother hiding poo poo it will just be "ministry of killing foreigns" and "misitry of shut the gently caress up proles" mistry of "suck my dick ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha"

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

is this about the book 1984 or the year 1984

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

i believe in a thing called love

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

sirius post: i was playing half life 2 before and i saw some graffiti of oranges and lemons and i went "hey"

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
A brave new shitpost

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

the movie of that book sucked i thought soma wasn't supposed to be a recreational drug but more like "i have no work to do i'll take this and pass out because thinking about things doesn't do anything good!!!!"

WindmillSlayer
Oct 16, 2013

FartRomancer.EXE posted:

i love you

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
60% brave new world

35% 1984

5% threads

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
"on the beach" is my favorite book about the future though

joxxuh
May 20, 2011
walked past a security camera today, loving big brother man

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Underrated song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KByxC7B9WH0

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
Lol if you believe 1984 ever happened. Or the 80's for that matter.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
david eggers "the circle" is more like it. still exaggerated but the twist is big brother is us

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

this song will always make me think of arto saari and tom penny's part in the flip sorry! video

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
I was born in 1985 so I am skeptical about anything allegedly existing before that.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

genesplicer posted:

Having lived through it, yes, I believe in it. Pretty good year, actually. Graduated from college and everything.

It was a terrible year. Peak Reagan.

Zenephant
Dec 31, 2009

In order of trustworthiness :

Literal Snakes > Jews > Greeks >Armenians

-- George Orwell, Down and Out in Paris and London

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp

FartRomancer.EXE posted:

I believe the children are our future. Teach them well and let them lead the way, I say!

Chris Awful
Oct 2, 2005

Tell your friends they don't have to be scared or hungry anymore comrades.
Orwell wanted 1984 to be reality.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Long live Animal Farm

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
The Microsoft Kinect is some Grade A 1984 tech.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
even though the mechanisms for 1984 are completely in place the western world is more like a brave new one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_FDjDwNygM

makes u think

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I'm so loving satan right now

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
We have been at war in the middle east since 1978 u tell me

Sagan
Jan 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
i was born in 1984

hope this helps

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

Was going to be part of a musical originally

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

peak van halen, great time to wear spandex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEyMd4qK_Nc

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

lonesomedwarf posted:

the movie of that book sucked i thought soma wasn't supposed to be a recreational drug but more like "i have no work to do i'll take this and pass out because thinking about things doesn't do anything good!!!!"

naw man you got it all wrong it was all about mindless pleasure

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
This thread is so confusing. Are you asking if I believe the year 1984 happened or are you asking if the book "1984" literally exists, like is it a real book? I can't tell which question the OP is asking. The answer for both is "no" though.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
Do I believe in a novel?

Do you understand how fiction works?

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

60% brave new world

35% 1984

5% threads

Probably this. Brave New World was all about making people "happy" and using genetics and peer pressure and subtle propaganda to make them do what you want. The ambition of the guys in charge wasn't so vast, no stamping on a human face for all eternity or aggressively wiping out words and concepts, and no actual torture. Why would you? That poo poo's dumb, and expensive. Why torture a malcontent when you can get a hundred hot chicks to have an orgy with him to such an extent that it overwhelms his moral principles and he commits suicide? Make them forget concepts like "freedom" by using apathy and contentment and making people forget it all bit by bit. And end the war on drugs by making your own drug, a better drug, and not only is everyone too totally high to protest against everything you do but all the meth cooks are suddenly in the dole queue alongside everyone else out of a job.

Then again, 1984 had that surveillance culture thing, which is good for pre-empting stuff. But they did it all wrong. Say if you find a guy who might be a terrorist? Don't send the feds around, hire a prostitute, clearly all he needs is a good lay (actually mentioned in the book), and it is substantially cheaper. Or put drugs in his water supply.

The 5% threads is necessary for all the autists who don't respond to hookers or drugs. Give them somewhere "anonymous" to complain on, where their every word is analysed by shrinks, and their IPs traced. It's for their own good, after all.

Redleg
Jul 7, 2003

What an odd looking.....Figurine
I lived through 1984. Lots of girls had goofy hair and wore several Duran Duran pins on their pastel outfits. I really didn't like 1984 honestly.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i dont believe in time at all, op

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
i was born in 1984, am I real?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

JakeP posted:

i was born in 1984, am I real?

I was born in 1986, therefore I have no perception of 1984. To my knowledge, the year of 1984 does not exist, time simply did not exist back then. All I perceive is a nothingness of non-time, it isn't even black, it's just nothing. So, I'm sorry, but no. You are not real :smith:

• Locked thread