Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i feel like watership down and poo poo like bambi had more soul because they had some serious underlying themes while shaving off the really horrible edges of real life

c.f. stuff post lion king where it's all slick commercial poo poo designed to bring in parents and kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
grats on being 30 i guess

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
as a real young kid i liked land before time a lot because it had cool dinosaurs and a really sad tone and then the sequel came out and it was all happy joyful singing and poo poo and i knew that stuff was for homos

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
"mommy I want to watch the bunny movie."

I'm in therapy because of watership down.

(j/k 30 yr olds aren't pussies like kids today)

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
wall e

toy story 3

cory in the house

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Mulefisk posted:

wall e

toy story 3

cory in the house

i don't know what the last 2 are but i remember seeing wall e with my ex and thinking the first half was pretty cool for how forlorn and oppressive it was and the second was pretty average and they gave TOO much humanity to the girl robot

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
it has some serious underlying themes while shaving off the really horrible edges of real life though, just saying

Badass
Apr 14, 2014

Mulefisk posted:

wall e

toy story 3

cory in the house

Am I missing something with Cory in the house. I don't remember it being that good

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Millie posted:

"mommy I want to watch the bunny movie."

I'm in therapy because of watership down.

(j/k 30 yr olds aren't pussies like kids today)

Watership down would gently caress these pussy kids up big time. Imagine the trigger cries on tumblr.

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
i agree, op. i feel like pre-90s kids films didn't patronize the audience as much.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Remember that hulk hogan alien movie?

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Badass posted:

Am I missing something with Cory in the house. I don't remember it being that good

You had to read between the lines.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
I think there was a definite shift in kids media that was gradually happening around that time.

Not to get all Buzzfeedy and Athenian with nostalgia and condemnation of future generations. I think that the movies I grew up with are like the candy I grew up with: crunch bars used to be the poo poo but now that I am older and have a more sophisticated palette I realize they are actually just poo poo. And good stuff for kids doe get made (Wall-E from earlier in this thread, for example).

But there is a shift in tone and content, I feel. I think we were less afraid to talk about death back then, and parents wren't full-helicopter yet. We also went from the GRITTY REALISM of the Reagan/Bush1 years to the happy-fluffy Clinton years.

It seems like after a decade of war we're back on grimdark but we're sort of detached from the actual darkness of reality through ironic, nostalgic humor. We all wish we lived in a pre-9/11 world but caring is for losers.

I think monkey cheese has always been around, but it turned up in the late 90s and kind of settled back down.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Neurosis posted:

i feel like watership down and poo poo like bambi had more soul because they had some serious underlying themes while shaving off the really horrible edges of real life

c.f. stuff post lion king where it's all slick commercial poo poo designed to bring in parents and kids

Bambi was some serious hosed up poo poo for a 5 year old. Mom killing?!

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
sort of pathetic anyone would care about this

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
kids today have seen more mature poo poo than we ever did at that age because of the internet

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Gaunab posted:

someone's a millennial

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Gaunab posted:

wow you're too cool to talk about things you liked as a kid

i am so impressed

please gently caress my rectum

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Neurosis posted:

wow you're too cool to talk about things you liked as a kid

i am so impressed

please gently caress my rectum

sorry but i don't give fucks

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Gaunab posted:

secretly you want to be accepted by the cool pre-90s kids

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Gaunab posted:

it's alright

i poo poo through my arse

loving it would probably be pretty nasty without a preparatory enema

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i dont remember watership down but i remember being really scared during part of it i think it was the black scary looking rabits and i remember going to the toilet reminded me of watership down so itried not to do it much because it looked like this

looking back i had many, many problems that have manifested themselves in various ways

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

i watched that john goodman dinosaur movie a lot when i was a kid, man the trailer just outright lies about how hosed up it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOLcsnqBJjI

Dinosaur fun for the whole family! Also horrible nightmares about being ripped apart by birds!

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

see the water part looked like arabbits head to my fertile imagination especially if i went at night

other things that scared me as a kid:

the count
pink elephants from that other movie
going outside
parents

edit; the movie was dumbo

thanks for letting get all this out i feel better already

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

jim henson's poo poo was so cool

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvyNOg4jSRg

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fantasia was for kids.

Think about that, 90's kid.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

oh poo poo forgot about that loving bowie terrified me when he did that "walk over the edge of the platform and go underneath it" i was an still am pretty hosed up i guess

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

lonesomedwarf posted:

oh poo poo forgot about that loving bowie terrified me when he did that "walk over the edge of the platform and go underneath it" i was an still am pretty hosed up i guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX917y1Ly8o

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
kids movis have gay sex in thme now that objectively makes them better and more hosed up than old timey movies

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

nomadologique posted:

kids movis have gay sex in thme now that objectively makes them better and more hosed up than old timey movies

counterpoint: david bowie's tights bulge

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

ha ha yeah that's it. seems like a strange thing to be scared of in that movie though

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Care Bears Move 2 was the last childrens film to have an actually GOOD facefucking scene, and that poo poo came out in like 1986!

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

redshirt posted:

Bambi was some serious hosed up poo poo for a 5 year old. Mom killing?!

Seriously. It was like built from the ground up in in order to make children cry. I bet the director would go watch it incognito just to see all the kids balling their eyes out.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

can someone post that gif of cartoon bowie spinning the balls in his hand and the balls in his pants are also spinning thanks in advance

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hobohemian posted:

Seriously. It was like built from the ground up in in order to make children cry. I bet the director would go watch it incognito just to see all the kids balling their eyes out.

I'm still scarred. I can see that column of smoke coming up from the hunter's camp and I know she's gone. GONE!

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
The Mouse And His Child

Raggedy Ann & Andy

The Secret of NIMH

The Last Unicorn

Torka posted:

counterpoint: david bowie's tights bulge

I became a woman after watching Labyrinth.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

redshirt posted:

I'm still scarred. I can see that column of smoke coming up from the hunter's camp and I know she's gone. GONE!

I had an existential crisis after seeing it. What kind of a loving children's movie makes a kid ask their mother if they are going to die? That is hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hobohemian posted:

I had an existential crisis after seeing it. What kind of a loving children's movie makes a kid ask their mother if they are going to die? That is hosed up.

Same. I never recovered.

• Locked thread