Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

skaboomizzy posted:

It's worth noting for the thousandth time that if the kid had stayed in his car until safety crews arrived and took him off the track he'd still be alive. Smoke and his crew might have kicked his crew's asses if it came to that, but by then it probably would've just been poo poo-talking.

This is probably the biggest factor IMO; even if Stewart did act in a stupid way (which looks unlikely), he wouldn't have been able to act in that sort of way if the kid had stayed in his car away from the racing line until the safety crews arrived and helped him away.

Probably the other major factor is the awful "have at it!!" nonsense that exists in predominantly American racing that makes people through hissy fits over what seems to be a racing accident. The problem seems to be that it has started to move from off-track poo poo talking (which is perfectly OK and happens in every form of motorracing) and petty on-track stuff, may it be intentionally wrecking someone or trying to have a fight against a sprint car moving at a speed that would most likely kill you, which is anytime the things are moving since I can't imagine that caution speed is 20mph...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's also about the money.

He had everything to lose, and really nothing to gain by doing this. At least I could argue running something like "The Chili Bowl" allows one to carry a bit of prestige, and I imagine the risk is substantially lower running an event like the one where his leg broke, and the one where he...you know...killed a guy.

If he wasn't being paid millions of dollars to run cup...

If he wasn't co-running one of the top teams in NASCAR...

If he wasn't trying to build up a short track racing empire..

Then I could understand it. But he's trying to do all of those things.

For reference here's what happened to him LAST SUMMER:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2013/08/06/nascar-tony-stewart-breaks-leg-sprint-car-crash.html

you keep bringing up the Chili Bowl like it's some kind of massive thing to win

it is, but things like the Kings Royal or the National Open or some poo poo are way bigger

also you know man, the Chili Bowl is still loving dangerous

dude only broke his back a little bit here

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Aug 15, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
the "Boys have at it" mentality also doesn't really exist in sprint car racing. you can't use a sprint as a weapon on track (usually) and physical fights are very rare, unless it's one of the Blaney's screaming "no gently caress YOU dad"

it's almost as if oval racing is nuanced and it doesn't all fall under the NASCAR banner

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

FuzzySkinner posted:

I think he's reached a point in his career where he should be doing these two things.

1.) Focus on his Sprint Cup career. (Which is I thought was fairly close to done prior to this)
2.) Focus on his Sprint Cup and USAC/WOO Teams, along with tracks he owns like Eldora

Now I think him making an "appearance" at the track isn't a bad thing, and I think would do quite a bit better in many ways as being a way to be an "Ambassador" for that form of the sport. He just can do that in other ways I think.

I'm likely walking on shaky ground with this take versus others (especially viking), but I don't think he really needs to do stuff like this.

An argument could be made that say, running "The Chili Bowl" could still be done, among other USAC/WOO events of prestige, but stuff like this just seems like it could be rather risky even prior to this.

Are you saying this because of the Negative PR after this incident or are you seriously of the dumb opinion that he shouldnt have fun and race whatever the hell he wants because he's too old?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

FuzzySkinner posted:

He had everything to lose, and really nothing to gain by doing this. At least I could argue running something like "The Chili Bowl" allows one to carry a bit of prestige, and I imagine the risk is substantially lower running an event like the one where his leg broke, and the one where he...you know...killed a guy.

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2013/08/06/nascar-tony-stewart-breaks-leg-sprint-car-crash.html

So...

How many cars have you raced? I'm guessing none becuase you would never have posted that utter tripe otherwise.

(Going fast with lots of hp on a dirt is a fuckton of fun, what ever loving reason do you need?)

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?
The only reason people think it was on purpose is the audio. I watched the video without audio and had no idea how people were getting all frazzled from a FEW seconds of video.
Then i watched with the sound turned up. Its a tragic, horrible way to die but it was the kids own fault. Although its just my opinion, not based on facts, i tend to believe all the posts about sprint car steering and visibility.

canti32
Apr 27, 2008

Fearless in Devotion, Rising to Promotion,
Rising to the ranks of mighty heroes, Fighting foes in every land,

History only tells a story, We are to see your glory,
Stand aside the Reds are coming,
WREXHAM IS THE NAME

FuzzySkinner posted:

This is the second dumbest thing in this thread.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

VikingSkull posted:

you keep bringing up the Indy 500 like it's some kind of massive thing to win

it is, but things like the Kings Royal or the National Open or some poo poo are way bigger

also you know man, the Indy 500 is still loving dangerous

[urlhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgoBHr3BWgE]dude only broke his back a little bit here[/url]

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

canti32 posted:

This is the second dumbest thing in this thread.

There's posts in this thread literally blaming the loving victim.

But yeah me saying that Stewart shouldn't have been racing there in the first place is dumb. :rolleyes:.

"WELL HOW MANY RACECARS HAVE YOU DRIVEN?"

"YOU'RE JUST JEALOUS HE'S NOT RACING IN THE INDY 500" are also equally dumb.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

FuzzySkinner posted:

But yeah me saying that Stewart shouldn't have been racing there in the first place is dumb. :rolleyes:.

Stewart if anyone was the "victim" here. Dudes loving scarred for life. In what way was Ward a victim of anyone but his own stupidty?

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
You write like Bill Plaschke

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Stewart if anyone was the "victim" here. Dudes loving scarred for life. In what way was Ward a victim of anyone but his own stupidty?

Ward's family had to bury their son. Stewart just has to live with the guilt of this all his life.

Why are we ASSUMING things here?

canti32
Apr 27, 2008

WREXHAM IS THE NAME

FuzzySkinner posted:

You arguing that Stewart shouldn't be allowed to race whatever he wants because he runs a team/business is dumb. Dude has the money/skill/passion to run three hundred races a year? loving let him, it's his life.

Also it's not blaming a victim to point out that maybe that dude shouldn't have left the safety of his car to run into traffic because he was mad. He did something stupid, people are pointing it out.

The Indy 500 thing was pretty stupid though

canti32
Apr 27, 2008

WREXHAM IS THE NAME

FuzzySkinner posted:

Ward's family had to bury their son. Stewart just has to live with the guilt of this all his life.

Why are we ASSUMING things here?

Why are you assuming Stewart is guilty?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

canti32 posted:

Why are you assuming Stewart is guilty?

I'm not.

It's foolish to think either way at this point. I'm waiting until I can get the full evidence, whether this goes to trial or not, among quite a few other things.

If it's dropped? He's not guilty, but I'm not willing to say he's one way or the other until that point.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

canti32 posted:

You arguing that Stewart shouldn't be allowed to race whatever he wants because he runs a team/business is dumb. Dude has the money/skill/passion to run three hundred races a year? loving let him, it's his life.

One man's opinion. I agree with his opinion he should not race in the lower series, much like how everyone absolutely hates the buschwhackers. Sure, he can do what he wants, we can't change what he does.

canti32 posted:

Also it's not blaming a victim to point out that maybe that dude shouldn't have left the safety of his car to run into traffic because he was mad. He did something stupid, people are pointing it out.

Yes, he was dumb. But if Stewart didn't race there, then another driver would've killed him. Then we wouldn't be arguing about this at all. He gets to live with the fact he killed a man, guilty or not.

canti32
Apr 27, 2008

WREXHAM IS THE NAME

fuseshock posted:

One man's opinion. I agree with his opinion he should not race in the lower series, much like how everyone absolutely hates the buschwhackers. Sure, he can do what he wants, we can't change what he does.

But it's not a "lower series", its a completely different style of racing. It's like saying that the AFL is a lower series of the NFL.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

FuzzySkinner posted:

People are blaming the victim because it's the victim's fault.

If you can't wrap your head around the fact that if he'd be alive right now if he'd stayed in his car, there's no hope for you.

The dude ran around on a racetrack like a dipshit and paid the price.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

FuzzySkinner posted:

You saying he shouldn't have been there is extremely dumb. It's not like he ran into a pop warner football game and started tackling kids. He was racing in another form of professional motorsport, which he is entitled to do.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'd rather see Jeff Gordon in the Indy 500 before Tony Stewart, even before Smoke killed a man.

Also, I almost bought this yesterday:

I would only buy it if drivers get out of their cars when I wreck them...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

NASCAR just added a rule about staying in the car until safety workers arrive to their mythical rulebook.

canti32
Apr 27, 2008

WREXHAM IS THE NAME

CBJSprague24 posted:

NASCAR just added a rule about staying in the car until safety workers arrive to their mythical rulebook.

Do you think they would take away points if let's say Kurt Busch got himself run over and killed? Or just put him on probation til Dec. 31st?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'm just devastated by all of this because if Tony Stewart had known his place and just kept himself out of these local sprint car races, Kevin Ward Jr. never would have been a complete retard who ran into the path of oncoming vehicles.

It's just sad really and hopefully Tony learns that he has no business in non-Sprint Cup cars because his lack of understanding and enormous wealth makes people play in traffic.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

a cat youtube posted:

arent you the guy that passed out + pissed yourself playing princess maker on twitch stream and your mom dragged you to bed

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

It was Katawa Shoujo you stupid loving oval office. I am so sick and tired of trolls.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I think that one of the two scenarios is also an accepted and integral part of motor racing. I don't know which one though

It depends on the driver, tbh.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

hmm this really applies to an incident that took place in a Sprint race.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

FuzzySkinner posted:

People kill themselves all the time by charging a train or semi truck, Ward is something all right, but it sure as gently caress isn't a victim.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

animeliker posted:

It was Katawa Shoujo you stupid loving oval office. I am so sick and tired of trolls.

What The gently caress dude?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

canti32 posted:

But it's not a "lower series", its a completely different style of racing. It's like saying that the AFL is a lower series of the NFL.

http://www.woosprint.com/drivers

Lots of people need to take a peek at this list here.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Called it, didn't think it would happen this soon though, drat.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ungratek posted:

IMO its directly relevant. I'm surprised NASCAR didn't have it before actually. What is the penalty for running around on the track (aside from likely death)?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I can't remember anyone running out into the racing groove to make a point in NASCAR (other than Stewart at Martinsville in 1999, where the cars were basically stopped in the corner). They usually stay(ed) up by the wall or on the apron of the racetrack to point fingers/the bird/throw helmets.

Ungratek posted:

Yes, but public outrage, kneejerk American reactions, "Won't someone PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?", etc.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 15, 2014

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Darth123123 posted:

IMO its directly relevant. I'm surprised NASCAR didn't have it before actually. What is the penalty for running around on the track (aside from likely death)?

It never really came up before because drivers, if they do leave their car, stand by it and don't jump in front of or try to grab multiple racecars.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Has Darren Rovell had any poignant things to say about stewart's brand

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Bass Pro Shops is deeply saddened, and Bud Light Lime has done $500m in sales over the last year.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

someone should hit Darren Rovell with their car

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

http://empirenews.net/nascar-tony-s...7baOnU.facebook

This was sent to me, bullshit website?

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 15, 2014

canti32
Apr 27, 2008

WREXHAM IS THE NAME

90-95% sure that is a hoax. That entire website looks really suspicious, and some of the linked articles read like an awful onion imitation.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yep, just looked it up it's an Onion rip off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Rusty Tweeted the article was bullshit yesterday and that he hadn't talked to Smoke.

• Locked thread