Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I only tip if i think you're a loser. So I tip a lot all the time. have fun being poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turdriver
May 31, 2014

by XyloJW
sometimes i wink and give back one fire sauce packet to the drive thru guy

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I'm talking any restaurant. Pizza place, Applebees, the nice Greek place down the street... I usually don't tip if I'm getting takeout.

I go out to eat a lot, but only get takeout a handful of times per year. They usually just take my card over the phone and when I get there they just hand me the food. I normally never have to take out my wallet during the process.

Never tip for takeout. Tip for waitered service and delivery, only because the restaurant industry is run by scum.

and still, lol applebees

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Crunk Abortion posted:

I'm a bartender. I work at a 4 diamond resort, and I am only paid $4.50 an hour by the house. I'm the son of a bitch who has to handle you and your takeout order. When you place that order, I have to walk out of my bar, away from my paying customers, and go expo and package your food myself. In contrast, the people sitting at the bar? Kitchen staff plate their food and deliver it. So it's significantly more work for me to prepare a takeout order than it would be if you dined inside the restaurant.

Fun fact: To compensate for undeclared cash tips, my employer calculates my income taxes based on 15% of food sales, including takeout, rather than basing it on the tips I declare. So when you stiff me on a takeout order, I still have to pay income tax on the tip you didn't leave me. You're literally making me pay for the privilege of getting stiffed by you. This practice is blatantly illegal and immoral, and there is nothing anyone can do about it because a pissant food and beverage worker has no leverage to negotiate with a multi-national company who pulls in $500 million a year, especially when you have mandatory binding arbitration written into your employment contract.

If you can't afford to leave a tip, you can't afford to eat at a restaurant, and you need to take your broke, cheap rear end to a grocery store, food pantry, or soup kitchen, whichever fits your scenario. What you don't need to do is go and pick the loving pocket of someone who's busting their rear end to take care of you and feed you. I go out of my way to do great work, but I have my limits. If you stiff people on takeout orders, you're a subhuman piece of bipedal refuse, and you should make like the genie and kill yourself ASAP.

have you considered union/lawsuit/quit in that order?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

I don't think your rant applies to when I run in and grab some egg rolls or something from my local chinese place. Those people are typically just running the register.

I can't believe I posted in a loving gbs tipping thread what the gently caress is wrong with me

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Arian_Samurai posted:

Yeah, I don't think you have to pay taxes on income you haven't earned.

It's a funny thing. When I worked as a bartender you had two choices....you could keep track of every tip and claim it as income, or you can simplify it and claim some percentage of sales (10-15%) as a proxy. Usually you would claim the proxy because it 95% of the time worked out in your favor. The problem is most people want to have their cake and eat it too and bitch when the proxy sometimes fucks them (like when they get stiffed once in a while). Then they say "Oh poo poo, your are literally taking money out of my pocket, man" forgetting that they've been underpaying on their taxes in every other case.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

No, it pretty much is.

Honestly, the introduction of arbitration hasn't really changed whether or not your employer can gently caress you; frankly it just makes it way more obvious that it's what they're doing now.

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot

Crunk Abortion posted:

I'm a bartender. I work at a 4 diamond resort, and I am only paid $4.50 an hour by the house. I'm the son of a bitch who has to handle you and your takeout order. When you place that order, I have to walk out of my bar, away from my paying customers, and go expo and package your food myself. In contrast, the people sitting at the bar? Kitchen staff plate their food and deliver it. So it's significantly more work for me to prepare a takeout order than it would be if you dined inside the restaurant.

Fun fact: To compensate for undeclared cash tips, my employer calculates my income taxes based on 15% of food sales, including takeout, rather than basing it on the tips I declare. So when you stiff me on a takeout order, I still have to pay income tax on the tip you didn't leave me. You're literally making me pay for the privilege of getting stiffed by you. This practice is blatantly illegal and immoral, and there is nothing anyone can do about it because a pissant food and beverage worker has no leverage to negotiate with a multi-national company who pulls in $500 million a year, especially when you have mandatory binding arbitration written into your employment contract.

If you can't afford to leave a tip, you can't afford to eat at a restaurant, and you need to take your broke, cheap rear end to a grocery store, food pantry, or soup kitchen, whichever fits your scenario. What you don't need to do is go and pick the loving pocket of someone who's busting their rear end to take care of you and feed you. I go out of my way to do great work, but I have my limits. If you stiff people on takeout orders, you're a subhuman piece of bipedal refuse, and you should make like the genie and kill yourself ASAP.

:qq: nice liberal arts degree faglord

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

FogHelmut posted:

and still, lol applebees

Only got takeout once from Applebees a few years ago when hurricane Irene knocked out power to my town for three days. It was right across the street from where I work and I was desperate :qq:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
It all depends on how hot the cashier is actually.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Only got takeout once from Applebees a few years ago when hurricane Irene knocked out power to my town for three days. It was right across the street from where I work and I was desperate :qq:

at least you did the right thing and didn't tip.

i mean i really can't comment on the tax situations of wait staff because i've never been desperate enough to dance for nickles as libertarians clucked their tongues at my submissive position to a slavedriving food network chef-owner wannabe

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

FogHelmut posted:

i mean i really can't comment on the tax situations of wait staff because i've never been desperate enough to dance for nickles as libertarians clucked their tongues at my submissive position to a slavedriving food network chef-owner wannabe

It's actually not that bad. People believe they need to tip huge, and it's mostly tax free money. I made mad bank as a bartender, it was a great time.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Crunk Abortion posted:

For me it's not about being able to afford it or not, and again, when I eat at a restaurant, I do tip. We do disagree on WHY a tip should be left. I leave a tip for being waited on while I enjoy a meal, not because I feel like I need to supplement your low wage. The onus of paying you properly really shouldn't fall on the customer and I think your anger is misdirected there.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

LorneReams posted:

It's actually not that bad. People believe they need to tip huge, and it's mostly tax free money. I made mad bank as a bartender, it was a great time.

The people I know who work in bars almost never shut up about the crazy amount of TAAAAX FREEEEEE money they make in tips every night.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW
I help white cishets check their privilege by only tipping nonnormatives / POCs

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

The people I know who work in bars almost never shut up about the crazy amount of TAAAAX FREEEEEE money they make in tips every night.

that's cool, i work in an office and make a crazier amount of taxed money, so much that i can give it away as tips

i mean its soulsucking and i have no stories to tell except the one time i got a cube by the window but someone kept closing the blinds

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
$1 for take out.
$2 for delivery

Crunk Abortion posted:

I'm a bartender. I work at a 4 diamond resort, and I am only paid $4.50 an hour by the house.

Would you complain about a $1 tip? I feel I'm being generous because I don't think it will take you 13 minutes to pack my food.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

FogHelmut posted:

that's cool, i work in an office and make a crazier amount of taxed money, so much that i can give it away as tips

i mean its soulsucking and i have no stories to tell except the one time i got a cube by the window but someone kept closing the blinds

Don't make me take your stapler and trigger you.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
"Get hot or stay poor."

I write it on the back of the receipt and then draw a dong on the tips sections on the front.

Presentation is part of the package after all. Having an ugly person bring out my food just makes it taste worse. Must be the placebo effect.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

FogHelmut posted:

oh thats cool i use the money i receive as tips to purchase goods and services provided by the company that employs you as well.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Crunk Abortion posted:

I tip if I've received service of an adequate standard or above i.e. not made to wait unnecessarily, reasonable questions or concerns dealt with, treated with politeness. I refuse to pay a 'discretionary service charge' if this doesn't happen and I could care less that you think I'm 'picking your loving pocket' for it. If the only value I've had is the meal itself then that's all I will pay for. A lot of people I know have the same attitude, a lot are meaner, and a lot are more generous and will tip regardless of how lovely you treat them. That you are bitter about it to the point of calling all non-tippers subhuman refuse makes me question the level of service you provide and if it's really as good as you think it is. Do you carry this attitude across when you serve people, maybe glare at them, daring them to not tip so you can call them wankers and then piss in their souffle?

Badass
Apr 14, 2014

What do you do if there's a service charge already??

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

I tip if I've received service of an adequate standard or above i.e. not made to wait unnecessarily, reasonable questions or concerns dealt with, treated with politeness. I refuse to pay a 'discretionary service charge' if this doesn't happen and I could care less that you think I'm 'picking your loving pocket' for it. If the only value I've had is the meal itself then that's all I will pay for. A lot of people I know have the same attitude, a lot are meaner, and a lot are more generous and will tip regardless of how lovely you treat them. That you are bitter about it to the point of calling all non-tippers subhuman refuse makes me question the level of service you provide and if it's really as good as you think it is. Do you carry this attitude across when you serve people, maybe glare at them, daring them to not tip so you can call them wankers and then piss in their souffle?

Are you talking about not tipping after sitting down and eating at the restaurant?

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Crunk Abortion posted:

Haha your a punk rear end bitch, get a real job and shut the gently caress up.

I made more than 4.50 when I was 14

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Badass posted:

What do you do if there's a service charge already??

A couple of months ago I went to a ridiculously fancy restaurant for a semi anniversary dinner with my girlfriend and had the worst dining treatment of my life. The restaurant was practically empty the entire time yet we were only allowed to sit in a dark corner despite the fact that we needed a decent amount of lighting to communicate with each other using sign language. I raised my concern about this on the basis that there were many available tables with good lighting and we were allowed to sit at a lighter table for one hour only, at which point we were made to go back to another dark little corner but not before the server had cleaned away half of my girlfriend's main course (it still appeared on the bill) after reminding us every ten minutes to hurry up. I refused to pay the service charge that appeared on the bill because I had had poo poo service and had to have an argument with the manager about it. Service charges are discretionary whether they appear on the bill or not and you're a chump if you pay extra for bad service.

Kelfeftaf posted:

Are you talking about not tipping after sitting down and eating at the restaurant?

See above. Why should I pay a 'service' charge to be treated like garbage?

Shirley Crabtree fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 15, 2014

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
$4.50/hr is a poo poo load for a bartender. Stop bitchin.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
i never tip. im not about to subsidize and employers inability to pay a living wage. Tipping enforces the welfare-state.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mike the TV posted:

oh thats cool i use the money i receive as tips to purchase goods and services provided by the company that employs you as well.

the economy is a lie

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
platinum users never tip

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
I tip a little for takeout

then again i'm a decent human being who isn't an ungrateful piece of poo poo so YMMV

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

lol at people with grey squares who don't tip

booyah now this will be the new level of SA discussion

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
Even if you've had exceptionally bad service, you should at least pay the service charge. Not looking like a baby while complaining to the manager about the charge is worth the price alone.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
i put the change in the pocket and jingle with every step on my way out

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

Darth123123 posted:

It all depends on how hot the cashier is actually.

This. I'll hand the cute girl a few crumpled, damp dollars but you better believe I'm gonna look her in the eyes and stroke that sexy little hand when she accepts it. You'll be earning that cash in my imagination tonight, sweetie!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

A couple of months ago I went to a ridiculously fancy restaurant for a semi anniversary dinner with my girlfriend and had the worst dining treatment of my life. The restaurant was practically empty the entire time yet we were only allowed to sit in a dark corner despite the fact that we needed a decent amount of lighting to communicate with each other using sign language. I raised my concern about this on the basis that there were many available tables with good lighting and we were allowed to sit at a lighter table for one hour only, at which point we were made to go back to another dark little corner but not before the server had cleaned away half of my girlfriend's main course (it still appeared on the bill) after reminding us every ten minutes to hurry up. I refused to pay the service charge that appeared on the bill because I had had poo poo service and had to have an argument with the manager about it. Service charges are discretionary whether they appear on the bill or not and you're a chump if you pay extra for bad service.

See above. Why should I pay a 'service' charge to be treated like garbage?

Did you do a chargeback?

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

Mike the TV posted:

sup 4 diamond resort buddy :hfive:

keys, colorado, or elsewhere?

North florida.

The Belgian posted:

have you considered union/lawsuit/quit in that order?

Right to work state/binding arbitration clause/bills

Klauser posted:

For me it's not about being able to afford it or not, and again, when I eat at a restaurant, I do tip. We do disagree on WHY a tip should be left. I leave a tip for being waited on while I enjoy a meal, not because I feel like I need to supplement your low wage. The onus of paying you properly really shouldn't fall on the customer and I think your anger is misdirected there.

I don't pay for food when I dine out at a restaurant. I wait until the server leaves, then exit the building after I've eaten. I pay for food sometimes that I enjoy, but I don't feel like I need to supplement the bottom line of establishments that I visit.

Also just as a public service announcement to cheapskates: If you stiff a server who didn't gently caress up catastrophically, don't come back, because I guarantee the next time you get food, someone will have performed unspeakable sex acts on your dinner.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
I've always wondered at the ease with which chefs cum in stingy people's food. Do they keep dirty magazines in the kitchen?

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
ugh

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009

Crunk Abortion posted:

North florida.

Right to work state/binding arbitration clause/bills

I don't pay for food when I dine out at a restaurant. I wait until the server leaves, then exit the building after I've eaten. I pay for food sometimes that I enjoy, but I don't feel like I need to supplement the bottom line of establishments that I visit.

Also just as a public service announcement to cheapskates: If you stiff a server who didn't gently caress up catastrophically, don't come back, because I guarantee the next time you get food, someone will have performed unspeakable sex acts on your dinner.

you sound like customer service is a high priority of your's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Crunk Abortion posted:

Sorry but I don't think I understand what you are saying here. I do pay for food, even if I don't enjoy it.

• Locked thread