Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Tree Huffer posted:

Even when she was attempting to help the Joker, she still was using her super ditzy, high pitched voice. It wasn't nearly as animated as it is when she's Harley, but it made the change a lot less of a surprise. In the animated series, didn't she put the voice on as even more of an act to get his attention? I recall her having a pretty calm and collected voice.

It's actually almost exactly the same dialogue in the game as in the animated series, and yes, Arleen Sorkin used a normal voice in the animated series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

kalonZombie posted:

Has there really ever been a long-running series that hasn't been afraid to permanently kill off and/or change the status quo of major characters, be it hero or villain? I know Marvel and DC like to talk big games, but they're always bringing back old major characters within a few years or so.
Judge Dredd? It's been running for 37 years with a single continuity (and in "real time", so Dredd is now 37 years older than when it started), and pretty much everyone of long-term note bar Dredd, Anderson and Hershey on the side of law and PJ Maybe for the perps is dead. (Mean Machine Angel's been rendered harmless and doesn't look likely to return, and Judge Death was, well, dead already.)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

kalonZombie posted:

Why is everyone talking about Joker falling into acid like that actually happened? Even in the Killing Joke, he basically admitted to it being that's how he remembered it happening THAT DAY and that how he remembers becoming the Joker changes on a constant basis. Joker's not really the best source to trust about his past.

The Killing Joke was built around an already existing Silver Age story in which Batman proved that the Red Hood was Joker while teaching a forensic science class.

The Killing Joke really examined the circumstances surrounding the Red Hood incident, but never the actual acid plunge.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

ayn rand hand job posted:

The Killing Joke was built around an already existing Silver Age story in which Batman proved that the Red Hood was Joker while teaching a forensic science class.

The Killing Joke really examined the circumstances surrounding the Red Hood incident, but never the actual acid plunge.

Wait what? Some Professor managed to rope Batman as a guest lecturer?

Was it Hugo Strange?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Tree Huffer posted:

This was something that bothered me in Arkham Asylum, during the audio taped sessions. Even when she was attempting to help the Joker, she still was using her super ditzy, high pitched voice. It wasn't nearly as animated as it is when she's Harley, but it made the change a lot less of a surprise. In the animated series, didn't she put the voice on as even more of an act to get his attention? I recall her having a pretty calm and collected voice.

Much like in Arkham Origins, Harleen had a normal speaking voice before her transition to Harley Quinn.

Origins' Harleen has a Brooklyn accent for some reason, though.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

HaitianDivorce posted:

Wait what? Some Professor managed to rope Batman as a guest lecturer?

Was it Hugo Strange?

It was a police academy or somesuch, he taught a full course. This was back in the happier Silver Age days.

He brought in the Red Hood and had them take a look at it because he hadn't solved the case. They found some green hairs inside the Hood and there was much debate over what that really meant.

Edit:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 24, 2014

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

MrJacobs posted:

Why the hell would Joker even be able to have a kid? He's not really a normal human anymore since falling into acid and is immune to several toxins that would kill a normal dude in addition to his healing factor from constantly losing teeth and having his bones shattered by Batman every other month. Of course the government would be all over that kid for the next suicide squad.

Realistically I would find it incredibly unlikely that Joker wasn't sterile at this point. But the key word there is "realistically". A comic book writer could probably go either way with it - it really is Joker's kid or it isn't so now the drama comes in as to whose it is and Joker being pissed that Harley slept with somebody else (not because he cares about her but because nobody else is allowed to touch his toys).

Tree Huffer posted:

This was something that bothered me in Arkham Asylum, during the audio taped sessions. Even when she was attempting to help the Joker, she still was using her super ditzy, high pitched voice. It wasn't nearly as animated as it is when she's Harley, but it made the change a lot less of a surprise. In the animated series, didn't she put the voice on as even more of an act to get his attention? I recall her having a pretty calm and collected voice.

To be honest, Arleen Sorkin didn't seem to be trying very hard in Arkham Asylum. I wouldn't be surprised if she was just so used to doing Harley's ditzy voice that she didn't even think about it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

kalonZombie posted:

Why is everyone talking about Joker falling into acid like that actually happened? Even in the Killing Joke, he basically admitted to it being that's how he remembered it happening THAT DAY and that how he remembers becoming the Joker changes on a constant basis. Joker's not really the best source to trust about his past.

The point behind this line is that there are a bunch of written origin stories for the Joker. This makes all of them still canon.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

It was a police academy or somesuch, he taught a full course. This was back in the happier Silver Age days.

I'm suddenly very disappointed Morrison didn't work guest lecturer Batman into his run.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Playing Arkham City again and ran into Jack Ryder hiding by the sewers early on. He mentions seeing Bruce Wayne and some stuff, and then if you talk to him again he just blurts out "No way is that Vale bitch taking over my show!"

Straight up LOL. Even Jack Ryder was calling bitches "bitch" up in this bitch.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Playing Arkham City again and ran into Jack Ryder hiding by the sewers early on. He mentions seeing Bruce Wayne and some stuff, and then if you talk to him again he just blurts out "No way is that Vale bitch taking over my show!"

Oh poo poo, better write a huge article on why calling someone a bitch is wrong in a fictional setting where the main focus is a man who dresses up as a bat to fight criminals.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Fargin Icehole posted:

Oh poo poo, better write a huge article on why calling someone a bitch is wrong in a fictional setting where the main focus is a man who dresses up as a bat to fight criminals.

You post like a bitch

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fargin Icehole posted:

Look at this loser. Look at him and laugh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I suspect they reason that 'bitch' stands out so much is that it and 'rear end' were like the only curse words they could get away with and maintain a T rating so they used them basically as often as possible to maintain their gritty atmosphere where nobody can say any other bad words.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

He brought in the Red Hood and had them take a look at it because he hadn't solved the case. They found some green hairs inside the Hood and there was much debate over what that really meant.

Edit:

That is fantastic. It's so great to imagine Crazy Quilt or King Tut or someone spending an issue trying to plan crimes around Batman's rigorous lecture and testing schedule. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

The weird part is that he says that to Batman. Who says something like that to Batman? :v:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'd personally much prefer it if the characters used the word "dick" or "you dick" instead of "bitch" in all cases. It would make everything sound so petty.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That will make things so confusing if it happens in Arkham Knight while Nightwing is on-screen.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

You post like a bitch

haha its funny when its ironic

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The weird part is that he says that to Batman. Who says something like that to Batman? :v:
Jack Ryder is a bit of a creeper.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Batman was just using his master detective skills to get that information out of him. Duh. :rolleye:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Edit:

I actually read this story for the first time as a kid in my parents old 'Batman From the 30's To The 70's' collection, and the way it was presented was amazing, because there is zero indication that you're about to read the origin story of the Joker until they take off that hood and Joker's underneath. That must have blown so many minds at the time, because that's what it did to 8-year-old me, decades after it was published. :allears:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Fargin Icehole posted:

:regd08:

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The point behind this line is that there are a bunch of written origin stories for the Joker. This makes all of them still canon.
I was annoyed in The Dark Knight when Joker first explained his backstory to someone. No, the Joker isn't supposed to have a real backstory! They're doing it all wron-

Then Joker did the same thing a few more times with a different story each time, and I completely reversed my opinion and felt like a chump for falling for it in the first place. They got that element just right.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Robot Hobo posted:

I was annoyed in The Dark Knight when Joker first explained his backstory to someone. No, the Joker isn't supposed to have a real backstory! They're doing it all wron-

Then Joker did the same thing a few more times with a different story each time, and I completely reversed my opinion and felt like a chump for falling for it in the first place. They got that element just right.

I remember seeing this done first in Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. Cheap movie that came out in the 80s and I think was Michael Rooker first role?

I thought it worked really well to show how they twist the story to suit their needs in the moment.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

EDIT: Nevermind, Comic Animation is probably better.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So, the Arkham Assault movie came out. KGBeast was also a member of the Suicide Squad, though he didn't show up in the trailer.

Mainly because he was stupid enough to think Waller wouldn't kill him if he tried to abandon the squad.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Just taking a moment to reflect on how absurd it is that Arkham City's Penguin has a beer bottle permanently stuck in his eye that doctors cant remove because... reasons, instead of him just being a chap that really likes monocles.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Just taking a moment to reflect on how absurd it is that Arkham City's Penguin has a beer bottle permanently stuck in his eye that doctors cant remove because... reasons, instead of him just being a chap that really likes monocles.

Its a prescription bottle bottom. Also, a loving gift from Mistah Jay. I still am slightly intrigued by the tracheaotomy thing. He must have got throat cancer from those stogies.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

We don't really know how far it goes into his skullbrain. Maybe they actually can't. There could really be 4 inches inside the head.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

I just like how sidestepping the campy Penguin's perpetual monocle with some convoluted grim-dark bottle story creates this brand of... grim camp, the synergy way weirder and funnier than if he just liked monocles.

On a different subject, small detail I never noticed before... Catwoman's theif vision is actually her putting her goggles on, in contrast to her normal game model where they're just on her forehead. Neat.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Man that Arkham Assault movie was horrible.

Amanda Waller is not a villain. That kind of pissed me off. Her character was nothing like Waller at all.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Deadshot made it bearable. But yeah, that was something that bothered me about the film, too.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Watched Assault on Arkham, what an awful movie. Thanks, DC, you're really going out of your way to demonstrate respect for your female characters with not one, not two, but three topless scenes with Killer Frost and Harley (one of them with Harley being completely nude). Characterization was also genuinely bad and they were throwing swears around just to sound edgy, like Joker walking into a room yelling "I'M HERE BITCHES!"

Do not watch Assault on Arkham, jesus christ.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
It's hilarious, because I was about to watch it because a friend of mine told me it was "really good" and "probably the best animated movie yet". I've never read anything Suicide Squad related though, so I would've had no idea.

I asked on twitter but didn't get much of a reply, what are some of the animated movies actually worth watching?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

kalonZombie posted:

It's hilarious, because I was about to watch it because a friend of mine told me it was "really good" and "probably the best animated movie yet". I've never read anything Suicide Squad related though, so I would've had no idea.

I asked on twitter but didn't get much of a reply, what are some of the animated movies actually worth watching?
Crisis on Two Earths is the best one, I think, mostly due to James Woods.

VVVV
I was thinking newerish ones, but yeah, Return of the Joker and Phantasm are top-drawer flicks.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 15, 2014

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

kalonZombie posted:

Mask of the Phantasm & Return of the Joker are decent. Subzero's probably good but I haven't set aside time to watch it yet.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I liked Arkham Assault but yeah it could have done without the sex scenes. I thought it was cool that it showed the villain's perspective. They just commit crimes and eventually Batman shows up and just wrecks them. Pretty much half the staff at Arkham gets brutally murdered, just like every other week.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Let me recommend Batman: Year One as an animated film to watch.

I just hope Long Halloween gets an animated adaptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I 'unno, for me Year One's final act felt really weak in the animation.

• Locked thread