Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I have worked with far too many people who "went to collage" that can't write an email to save their loving life. It is not a guarantee that a person is not a moron, but you are far better with than without a degree.

Also, never use the line, "Degree? Do you think if I had a computer science degree I'd be applying here to run your rinky-dink network for $42k a year?" in an interview. It will not go well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I work for a Computer Science department in a major public research university, my boss doesn't send an email without at least one major typo. Our last job posting had about 10, including looking for someone with "Linus administration" experience. He has a college degree.

I don't really know what my point is saying that.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Tab8715 posted:

A lot a major companies will flat-out refuse to hire anyone with "water-downed" degrees - DeVry,University of Phoenix, etc

Is this a regional thing or did you mean "watered-down?"

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

FISHMANPET posted:

I work for a Computer Science department in a major public research university, my boss doesn't send an email without at least one major typo. Our last job posting had about 10, including looking for someone with "Linus administration" experience. He has a college degree.

In other words, college doesn't necessarily give you skills or judgment, same as literally any other kind of experience

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

The Task Scheduler gui can also connect to the Task Scheduler on a remote computer, you just right click on where it says "Task Scheduler (Local) and put in the name of the computer. Not sure what kind of firewall access that requires though.

Oh goddammit, of course. I've been doing too much Powershell lately. I bet that GUI access requires RPC ports.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Dick Trauma posted:

Is this a regional thing or did you mean "watered-down?"

It's an iPhone/doing 30 things at once/ADD thing :P

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Regardless of whether or not a 4 year degree provides actual value in our modern society is a topic for D&D discussion, but right now, no matter how silly it is, a 4 year degree is basically required.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Che Delilas posted:

Unfortunately demonstrating your tech knowledge is only one part of getting hired. I agree with everything you're saying about how to determine a candidate's competence. But there are people who are involved in the hiring process that will automatically veto anyone without a certain level of degree. It has nothing to do with your competence, it's just a personal bias that you have to deal with. Even if they don't automatically reject all non-degree candidates, if they have two very similar finalists that both know their poo poo and both are perfect for the job, but one has a degree and the other does not, who do you think will be chosen?

I've never met anyone who automatically rejects someone because they don't have a four-year degree.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
My 4 year degree has absolutely nothing to do with IT and was likely a complete waste of money, but at least I cut my teeth at the school help desk. :unsmith:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

CLAM DOWN posted:

For example:

code:
schtasks /create /F /TN "$command" /TR "$local_script_path" /S $remote_host
There's a lot more you can do with this, run schtasks /? as I forget most of the arguments.

Look into Powershell too, I recommend.

FISHMANPET posted:

The Task Scheduler gui can also connect to the Task Scheduler on a remote computer, you just right click on where it says "Task Scheduler (Local) and put in the name of the computer. Not sure what kind of firewall access that requires though.

Thanks for the help.

It appears that I'm able to accomplish what I need by using the task scheduler gui to connect to other machines. I didn't have to do anything with permissions or firewalls thankfully.

This entire thing has been frustrating. It started off with someone discovering I wrote a basic AutoIt script to help with a copy/paste task and it has ballooned into me creating a script that will automate testing on medical software using 50 VMs simultaneously. All within a work week.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 15, 2014

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

monster on a stick posted:

I've never met anyone who automatically rejects someone because they don't have a four-year degree.

I've spoken with a few recruiters who told me that the hiring manager would flat-out refuse me without a technical degree. Oh well. Both of those companies were paying below market rate, anyway.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

It's weird how some companies require degrees and others do not. My cities local hospital requires a one for nearly every IT-Position yet browsing both Google's and Apple's positions there are quite a few that specify bachelors or equivalent experience.

EDIT - I largely agree with evol's posts, a degree while isn't absolutely needed it only makes your career easier. If I could go back in-time I wouldn't have majored in Political Science but probably MIS or a 2-year technical degree.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 15, 2014

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've managed to work my way into lower management at good pay/benefits without a degree. Seems like I could go as high as a departmental manager without a degree too. If I ever wanted to go any higher I would definitely need a degree though. If I was able to go back in time and do it over I'd work towards a business degree of some sort. Seems like once you get to a certain point all of your technical skills matter less than your business skills. Or you can go the alternate route and become an expert in some IT niche and just make bank as you get better and better.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

monster on a stick posted:

<RANDOM LARGE COMPANY> sure does

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah Epic here in Madison, WI only accepts applicants with four year degrees.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
Potential YOTJ. Company made me an offer. Good job title (contains "Sr.") and a neat environment doing network security and systems engineering. Gotta negotiate on the salary, though; it's a bit low.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Bob Morales posted:

<RANDOM LARGE COMPANY> sure does

Intel wouldn't even talk to me at an on campus job fair because I didn't have a 3.5 GPA.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

My life is way too stressful...

How would you handle this... You're suppose to do a major system upgrade yet the client has expressed a lack in confidence surrounding planning but your supervisor is pushing for it anyway, what do you do?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pushing poo poo through without planning is how the big Sidekick Data Outage happened.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
I feel like the topic is kind of beaten to death at this point. If you are a person who can flourish without a degree, you probably already know. If you're not sure, but you are sure you want to work in technology, then go to college.

Some companies will only hire people with degrees, some companies prefer people with degrees, some don't care, and a few probably value people without degrees. There will always be companies you're not a good fit for. Unless you know you want to work at $SOME_COMPANY, just do the thing that gives you the best odds of long-term happiness - whatever that means for you.

Docjowles posted:

Certs aren't an alternative to a college degree, and vice versa. They're complimentary.

I'm only doing this because we're discussing soft skills and education: complementary, not complimentary. :spergin:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Comradephate posted:

I'm only doing this because we're discussing soft skills and education: complementary, not complimentary. :spergin:

That's a very lovely certificate you have there.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Pushing poo poo through without planning is how the big Sidekick Data Outage happened.

I just read that and I don't even want to think about was said on that outage conference call...

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I don't have a degree or many IT quals for that matter but I seem to be getting by on delivering projects well I guess

My boss has worked his way up from the bottom and so did his predecessor so there is hope for me yet

In the mean time it became apparent this week that I will need to performance manage my assistant out of my department very soon. It's not pleasant but I'm always up for learning new skills... I guess?!

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.
I have some college and no current certs, but I was recently promoted to manager of the "oh poo poo" team. Experience and competence are pretty good, they're just harder to translate onto a resume than a degree and a laundry list of qualifications.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Tab8715 posted:

I just read that and I don't even want to think about was said on that outage conference call...

Roz Ho :argh:

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Had two Microsoft employees come in and train 5 of us who were relatively new to Exchange earlier this week. We had two days of training, plus we had a lab that was built for us to play in. Pretty cool experience and I actually picked up quite a bit from the class. Anyways we were chatting during a break and one of the trainers mentioned that there were a huge number of Microsoft employees who actually had teaching degrees after someone had asked what kind of education requirements MS had for employees. There was even one person, he told us, who had quit his practice as a neurosurgeon to work for Microsoft. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Had two Microsoft employees come in and train 5 of us who were relatively new to Exchange earlier this week. We had two days of training, plus we had a lab that was built for us to play in. Pretty cool experience and I actually picked up quite a bit from the class. Anyways we were chatting during a break and one of the trainers mentioned that there were a huge number of Microsoft employees who actually had teaching degrees after someone had asked what kind of education requirements MS had for employees. There was even one person, he told us, who had quit his practice as a neurosurgeon to work for Microsoft. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that.
Lots of people put a decade of work into becoming a doctor just to find out that they aren't emotionally able to deal with the loss of a patient. If they were already experienced enough to be working in private practice, though, then that is weird.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Daylen Drazzi posted:

When I was working for a vendor, our previous SharePoint Trainer who's now an SharePoint Architect has degree in psychology.

The world is interesting place.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Daylen Drazzi posted:

There was even one person, he told us, who had quit his practice as a neurosurgeon to work for Microsoft. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that.
If there's anyone who could help you wrap your head around something, it's a neurosurgeon :haw:

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Erwin posted:

If there's anyone who could help you wrap your head around something, it's a neurosurgeon :haw:
They would be more suited to unwrapping your head from around something.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Misogynist posted:

Lots of people put a decade of work into becoming a doctor just to find out that they aren't emotionally able to deal with the loss of a patient. If they were already experienced enough to be working in private practice, though, then that is weird.

Sometimes people just want to do something else for a living. If you're a neurosurgeon you are smart enough and/or dedicated enough to pick up basically any other skill in short order.

Obviously deciding to not be a surgeon anymore is a bigger deal than deciding to not be a windows admin anymore, but I'm sure some people hate it so much that they're comfortable with abandoning the decade of schooling to do something else.

E: I know someone who went to law school with my dad. After the very first semester he decided he didn't want to be an attorney, but would finish law school anyway because "It might be fun." - after law school he went to medical school and is currently a flight surgeon/neurosurgeon.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Erwin posted:

Okay this made me laugh.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FISHMANPET posted:

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Criminal justice degree checking in

owDAWG
May 18, 2008
I have found from personal experience a degree is much more important to get you in to entry level IT work as competition for those jobs on a numbers basis is much more fierce. Think trying to compete against everyone in food service, retail, the kid who fixes his neighbors computer, and recent graduates. It also plays a role once you move from desktop support/helpdesk into an IT professional role. Once you hit the IT professional level you tend to get siloed but at the same time competition becomes scarce for those niche jobs especially in growth areas like virtualization, DBA, and mobile development. On the IT professional level all you have to do is prove you have a background in technology, it is also a lot easier to get interviews.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Started as engineering; ended up english. Now I work in IT. I feel it's the circle of life or something.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
*Disregard, I figured it out.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 16, 2014

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Syano posted:

Criminal justice degree checking in

Hello Paul.

It isn't you, but one of my coworkers has the same degree, and works in IT

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

Tab8715 posted:

What's the difference between internal IT and Ops?

Sounds the same to me...

As previously said, internal IT is synonymous with corp IT and handles corporate services like exchange, AD, VPN and lots of other stuff. Desktop support is sometimes combined with this role, or may have dedicated staff.

When you start seeing ops and noc being tossed around you're most likely talking about a technology company that has a revenue stream based off of a large number of production servers. I work on a small web operations team with a few thousand servers, so I get to dabble with scale, but the company isn't so big that I'm silo'd to any one specialty.

The noc are the are the entry level techs who primarily do monitoring of production, escalation to ops, maintaining the data centers and just about everything hardware related. Ops handles configuration of the servers and the deployment of production applications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

joe944 posted:

As previously said, internal IT is synonymous with corp IT and handles corporate services like exchange, AD, VPN and lots of other stuff. Desktop support is sometimes combined with this role, or may have dedicated staff.

I would say it differs by industry probably. For the company I work for Internal IT are the dudes setting up new hires phones/imaging their computers/fixing system issues, and IT are the people that deal with account teams/customers.