Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXtxb3FPt2o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I don't understand who I'm tipping because there is usually someone who takes my order, and then shows up occasionally when they're not on a smoke break, and an entirely different person actually brings me my food. Is this person only qualified to carry food? Is the waitress above carrying food?

Death By Yogurt
Apr 3, 2007

Tipping is basically paying someone extra to treat you like an incapable child.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

FogHelmut posted:

I don't understand who I'm tipping because there is usually someone who takes my order, and then shows up occasionally when they're not on a smoke break, and an entirely different person actually brings me my food. Is this person only qualified to carry food? Is the waitress above carrying food?

Yeah I hate when that happens :agreed:

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

When I was in the US taxi drivers expected a tip, please explain why I should give them extra money for doing their job of driving me the fastest route from one place to another? Also barmen/ladies expected tips why should I tip someone for reaching into a fridge and handing me a bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale?

in the US you tip your taxi driver, you tip your waiter, you tip your bartender, you tip your barber. if you don't do these things, you're an rear end in a top hat.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Allow me to give y'all a simple way to determine if a service worker should be tipped.

Does their job pay them enough that they would still have a living wage without the tips?

If not then loving tip them you loving idiots.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

I wish tipping wasn't a thing. It makes me feel like an imperious queen, arbitrarily judging the peasants and granting them a few measly dollars depending on the alignment of the planets. I just wish establishments would automatically add a gratuity to the price in order to avoid triggering my crippling social anxiety and low self-esteem.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Clochette posted:

I wish tipping wasn't a thing. It makes me feel like an imperious queen, arbitrarily judging the peasants and granting them a few measly dollars depending on the alignment of the planets. I just wish establishments would automatically add a gratuity to the price in order to avoid triggering my crippling social anxiety and low self-esteem.

we should mandate by law that tipping be abolished and workers be paid a reasonable wage. low end restaurant workers will love it, fancy restaurant workers will hate it. business owners will whine buy be largely unaffected because they typically don't understand economics.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I've noticed the increasing trend of restaurants around here adding 20% as standard. however this is only mentioned in small print on the original bill, so if you throw your card down when the bill arrives they come back with a receipt that has the final amount on and a little area you can write the tip, and no mention at all that a tip has already been taken. and usually the itemized receipt is gone too so if it's pointed out to you that they may have already taken one you cant even check and have to ask the waiter like a dick.
On principle with a place like that I leave no extra tip at all because lord knows they're making enough by people accidentally tipping twice, which like every single person who doesn't live here year round ends up doing.

I've even seen someone manage to do it while paying with cash because the gratuity added by the restaurant was nestled in the itemized section, before the line break and tax bit.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 16, 2014

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

cubicle gangster posted:

I've noticed the increasing trend of restaurants around here adding 20% as standard. however this is only mentioned in small print on the original bill, so if you throw your card down when the bill arrives they come back with a receipt that has the final amount on and a little area you can write the tip, and no mention at all that a tip has already been taken. and usually the itemized receipt is gone too so if it's pointed out to you that they may have already taken one you cant even check and have to ask the waiter like a dick.
On principle with a place like that I leave no extra tip at all because lord knows they're making enough by people accidentally tipping twice, which like every single person who doesn't live here year round ends up doing.

I've even seen someone manage to do it while paying with cash because the gratuity added by the restaurant was nestled in the itemized section, before the line break and tax bit.

That's only common with parties of 5 or more (gratuity). Never seen it for any party under 5

Usually because when you get a group that big, it's more work for the wait staff and also people become loving retards when it comes to splitting bills. seriously everyone always forgets the tax and misunderestimates how much they owe so tips would end up being like 5% or something if they didnt add it in

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
No matter the size of the group it happens, it's automatic on any bill. A couple of restaurants started doing it last year and now it's rare to find one that isn't doing it - I do live in miami though, it's definitely something very specific to the area. It's been in place a lot longer at the restaurants right on the beach which i'll never eat at but it's spread to normal restaurants now.

There are a lot of tourists here so I can see why it might start at a nobu in a hotel, but hiding the fact you're doing it (I make a point of looking and checking now) and restaurants miles away from the beach that no euro tourist would ever end up getting on it in is just really sleazy. If everyone else is doing it...

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 16, 2014

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

cubicle gangster posted:

No matter the size of the group it happens, it's automatic on any bill. A couple of restaurants started doing it last year and now it's rare to find one that isn't doing it - I do live in miami though, it's definitely something very specific to the area. It's been in place a lot longer at the restaurants right on the beach which i'll never eat at but it's spread to normal restaurants now.

okay i can see that. there is also probably a mentality for tourists that you're in a new land and gently caress it, why bother tipping a place you won't go back to?

Also florida is one of those shithole states that allow tips to be taken out of minimum wage so people literally get paid $3 unlike CA/OR that require tips to be excluded.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 16, 2014

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I tip my fedora, and say m'lady, thats it

california roll
Feb 23, 2009
everyone that posted in thus topic including me should be sent to a camp

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

california roll posted:

everyone that posted in thus topic including me should be sent to a camp

Fat camp?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Yaldabaoth posted:

Allow me to give y'all a simple way to determine if a service worker should be tipped.

Does their job pay them enough that they would still have a living wage without the tips?

If not then loving tip them you loving idiots.

so should I tip my local school teachers?

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Tipping is real.

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

lol if you work in the service industry and don't rob your employer blind via skimming the register. Bonus points if it is a restaurant owned by 1st generation immigrants just trying to survive.

In high school there was a kid who worked at Wendys, quit and kept his uniform. He let his friend wear his uniform and he called another Wendys and said "We are running out of Spicy Chickens, can my guy come borrow some?" Of course they said yes and then he had an entire freezer full of spicy chickens. Its the most shameful and pathetic scam of all time, a literal chicken heist

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

SpicyMeatSandwich posted:

lol if you work in the service industry and don't rob your employer blind via skimming the register. Bonus points if it is a restaurant owned by 1st generation immigrants just trying to survive.

In high school there was a kid who worked at Wendys, quit and kept his uniform. He let his friend wear his uniform and he called another Wendys and said "We are running out of Spicy Chickens, can my guy come borrow some?" Of course they said yes and then he had an entire freezer full of spicy chickens. Its the most shameful and pathetic scam of all time, a literal chicken heist

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 641 days!

Crunk Abortion posted:

I'm a bartender. I work at a 4 diamond resort, and I am only paid $4.50 an hour by the house. I'm the son of a bitch who has to handle you and your takeout order. When you place that order, I have to walk out of my bar, away from my paying customers, and go expo and package your food myself. In contrast, the people sitting at the bar? Kitchen staff plate their food and deliver it. So it's significantly more work for me to prepare a takeout order than it would be if you dined inside the restaurant.

Fun fact: To compensate for undeclared cash tips, my employer calculates my income taxes based on 15% of food sales, including takeout, rather than basing it on the tips I declare. So when you stiff me on a takeout order, I still have to pay income tax on the tip you didn't leave me. You're literally making me pay for the privilege of getting stiffed by you. This practice is blatantly illegal and immoral, and there is nothing anyone can do about it because a pissant food and beverage worker has no leverage to negotiate with a multi-national company who pulls in $500 million a year, especially when you have mandatory binding arbitration written into your employment contract.

If you can't afford to leave a tip, you can't afford to eat at a restaurant, and you need to take your broke, cheap rear end to a grocery store, food pantry, or soup kitchen, whichever fits your scenario. What you don't need to do is go and pick the loving pocket of someone who's busting their rear end to take care of you and feed you. I go out of my way to do great work, but I have my limits. If you stiff people on takeout orders, you're a subhuman piece of bipedal refuse, and you should make like the genie and kill yourself ASAP.

lmao I love this backward loving logic. look how loving mad you are at the completely wrong people.

"My lovely employer is basically robbing me, and values me so little as a human being that he does not pay me enough to even barely survive. YOU loving CUSTOMERS BETTER TIP ME, HOLY poo poo YOU FUCKERS ARE CHEAP ASSHOLES! THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!"

Restaurant owners have a brilliant scam going. Make your customers pay your employees for you, and if they don't make sure your employees get mad at the customers for their poverty.

It works so loving well it is amazing, the biggest con job in America.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

Kelfeftaf posted:

in the US you tip your taxi driver, you tip your waiter, you tip your bartender, you tip your barber. if you don't do these things, you're an rear end in a top hat.

This right here. This is what a normal person who isn't a basement dwelling asperger patient on the internet does.

Civil posted:

It is absolutely insane to leave a $40 tip on a $40 meal. Why on earth would you throw around that much tip money when you're talking about how difficult it is to live on tips a post earlier? I make a comfortable salary and only feel obligated to adhere to social norms.

It's called "generosity", try it some time. I make good tips because I'm loving awesome at my job. I also do private events on my own time to help out with cashflow. I'm not exactly starving, because I'm smart with money and I work my rear end off.

As it stands, I don't eat out very much. But to go to a bar, order a $5 drink and give the bartender a ten ain't gonna break me, you, or anyone who should be out drinking. If I'm going to sit down and eat a meal, it's usually a special occasion, and I budget for them (and the tip) accordingly.

I fail to see how a $40 tip is insanity, but you'll drop $10 to register and another $5 for an avatar on a comedy forum. Me? I've spent $40 on way dumber poo poo than making another human being's life tangibly less awful, even if for a brief moment.

Cesar Cedeno posted:

lmao I love this backward loving logic. look how loving mad you are at the completely wrong people.

"My lovely employer is basically robbing me, and values me so little as a human being that he does not pay me enough to even barely survive. YOU loving CUSTOMERS BETTER TIP ME, HOLY poo poo YOU FUCKERS ARE CHEAP ASSHOLES! THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!"

Restaurant owners have a brilliant scam going. Make your customers pay your employees for you, and if they don't make sure your employees get mad at the customers for their poverty.

It works so loving well it is amazing, the biggest con job in America.

Could you possibly be any more of a walking Objectivist punchline? Maybe say something about "bootstraps" in there?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I lived in new York for a while, I sit down to eat a meal because I need to eat food and was out 6 nights a week so a 100%+ tip on all services is absolute loving madness.
you live in a very particular bubble not many others also inhabit, most people go out a lot and tip a little rather than save all their cash to bring Christmas to a student once a month

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Aug 16, 2014

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Klauser posted:

Forgive my ignorance if this is 100% true, but I'm not sure it is, and situations may vary. As stated before, I feel like the price of the food includes the preparation.

Your tip pays the wage of the servers (or the host if it's a usual takeout), who tip out the busboys, (other) hosts and expos based on a percentage of their sales (not the tips). The price of the food prep is what it is because the restaurant doesn't have to pay any of the front of house staff a real living wage. It sucks but that's America and it's a weird libertarian system that we'll never get over.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Crunk Abortion posted:

I'm a bartender. I work at a 4 diamond resort, and I am only paid $4.50 an hour by the house. I'm the son of a bitch who has to handle you and your takeout order. When you place that order, I have to walk out of my bar, away from my paying customers, and go expo and package your food myself. In contrast, the people sitting at the bar? Kitchen staff plate their food and deliver it. So it's significantly more work for me to prepare a takeout order than it would be if you dined inside the restaurant.

Fun fact: To compensate for undeclared cash tips, my employer calculates my income taxes based on 15% of food sales, including takeout, rather than basing it on the tips I declare. So when you stiff me on a takeout order, I still have to pay income tax on the tip you didn't leave me. You're literally making me pay for the privilege of getting stiffed by you. This practice is blatantly illegal and immoral, and there is nothing anyone can do about it because a pissant food and beverage worker has no leverage to negotiate with a multi-national company who pulls in $500 million a year, especially when you have mandatory binding arbitration written into your employment contract.

If you can't afford to leave a tip, you can't afford to eat at a restaurant, and you need to take your broke, cheap rear end to a grocery store, food pantry, or soup kitchen, whichever fits your scenario. What you don't need to do is go and pick the loving pocket of someone who's busting their rear end to take care of you and feed you. I go out of my way to do great work, but I have my limits. If you stiff people on takeout orders, you're a subhuman piece of bipedal refuse, and you should make like the genie and kill yourself ASAP.

lol gently caress yourself and like just barely fuc your boss

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

cubicle gangster posted:

I lived in new York for a while, I sit down to eat a meal because I need to eat food and was out 6 nights a week so a 100%+ tip on all services is absolute loving madness.
you live in a very particular bubble not many others also inhabit, most people go out a lot and tip a little rather than save all their cash to bring Christmas to a student once a month

I'm not saying it's a lifestyle choice everyone can or should adopt. It fits the situation I'm in in my life right now. My point is, if my prole rear end can tip 100%, there's no reason to not be a dick and at least leave 20% (unless they gave poo poo service, then it's fair game IMO)

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Crunk Abortion posted:

I'm not saying it's a lifestyle choice everyone can or should adopt. It fits the situation I'm in in my life right now. My point is, if my prole rear end can tip 100%, there's no reason to not be a dick and at least leave 20% (unless they gave poo poo service, then it's fair game IMO)

jesus christ i can smell you from a thousand miles away (incidentally a state that pays min wage for food service)

drguildo
Apr 27, 2013

LISTEN TO THE CROWD ROAR IN ADMIRATION!
I'm at the end of a 2-month stay in the states and I have to say the tipping culture here is pants-on-head retarded. You really are just paying people extra to do their jobs because their rear end in a top hat employer won't.

I tipped, but only because I was scared that if I didn't the waitress would run out the restaurant after me and beat me up.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

drguildo posted:

I'm at the end of a 2-month stay in the states and I have to say the tipping culture here is pants-on-head retarded. You really are just paying people extra to do their jobs because their rear end in a top hat employer won't.

I tipped, but only because I was scared that if I didn't the waitress would run out the restaurant after me and beat me up.

Keep in mind that rear end in a top hat employer rarely offers health insurance to that person prepping/ serving your food.
Enjoy your American breed disease.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'd pay extra if the wait staff didn't come back to the table to ask "how is everything going, you enjoying the food?". I'd pay even more if they didn't do it 45 seconds after dropping the food off.

If I don't like anything, you'll hear about it. Otherwise go away. Your job after delivering the food is to sit quietly at the bar, staring at my glass from across the room to determine the optimal time for a refill.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'd pay extra if the wait staff didn't come back to the table to ask "how is everything going, you enjoying the food?". I'd pay even more if they didn't do it 45 seconds after dropping the food off.

If I don't like anything, you'll hear about it. Otherwise go away. Your job after delivering the food is to sit quietly at the bar, staring at my glass from across the room to determine the optimal time for a refill.

I heard that they only ask how the food is because if they don't and you finish the meal you can just say it was poo poo and get a refund, can anyone within the industry confirm this? I say this because it even happens here in places where you pay at the bar/counter when you order and are therefore unlikely to tip regardless.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Crunk Abortion posted:

It's called "generosity", try it some time. I make good tips because I'm loving awesome at my job. I also do private events on my own time to help out with cashflow. I'm not exactly starving, because I'm smart with money and I work my rear end off.

As it stands, I don't eat out very much. But to go to a bar, order a $5 drink and give the bartender a ten ain't gonna break me, you, or anyone who should be out drinking. If I'm going to sit down and eat a meal, it's usually a special occasion, and I budget for them (and the tip) accordingly.

I fail to see how a $40 tip is insanity, but you'll drop $10 to register and another $5 for an avatar on a comedy forum. Me? I've spent $40 on way dumber poo poo than making another human being's life tangibly less awful, even if for a brief moment.

I know there's a sucker born every minute, but holy poo poo you count for two.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Food service employees should get over their heroin addictions and get real jobs that pay actual money.

Freshman
Jul 15, 2001

dropped out undecidedly
I always tip a buck for takeout. Maybe two for a big order. Just for the trouble of assembling the bag, etc. No reason to tip a lot since they're not actively waiting on you.

Also, as a restaurant worker, I can attest that people rarely tip for takeout, and when they do, it's a buck or two.

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006
I bought a new couch yesterday. I don't do it very often so I paid the overweight, balding, cheaply dressed salesman double for it. Those guys don't make much so it really made his day. It's cool though, 'cus I budgeted for it.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
you are pretty scum if you work in the food industry past being a struggling college kid

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
HAHAHAHA, yeah you tip out the bar, and MAYBE the busboys, but the cooks? Never heard or seen that. Most places that don't go bankrupt in 1-2 years actually pay their cooks so the food is edible.

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 641 days!

Crunk Abortion posted:

Could you possibly be any more of a walking Objectivist punchline? Maybe say something about "bootstraps" in there?

Dude, you live in a loving fantasy world. The vast majority of people, if they had to tip at your fantasy rates, would just avoid eating out altogether and lots of places would close down.

Which would actually be good I think, since so many servers seem content to get rammed up the rear end by their boss, and are still dumb enough to get mad at the customers instead.

drguildo posted:

You are not wrong, "pants on head retarted" is exactly what tipping is in America. Employers are cheap, and their employees, apparently, have no loving dignity and are dumb as a post, so they blame the wrong people. It's a pretty American system in both it's execution and levels of selfish ignorance required to maintain it.

I mean look at Crunk Abortion in this thread, if he's not trolling, he is so dependent on tips, he seems to think they should be large enough for him to live off of entirely. He is clearly blind to the sheer idiocy and madness of this. Even though he admits his employer is loving him over and largely taking advantage of him

Cyks posted:

Keep in mind that rear end in a top hat employer rarely offers health insurance to that person prepping/ serving your food.
Enjoy your American breed disease.

Ahhh no tipping system is going to be an adequate way to compensate for a lack of a health care.

It's really loving sad and pathetic to see servers push back the hardest when you mention trying to get their bosses to pay them fairly instead of tips.

These dumb fuckers.

Cesar Cedeno fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 16, 2014

Freshman
Jul 15, 2001

dropped out undecidedly

Daedra posted:

you are pretty scum if you work in the food industry past being a struggling college kid

I make a darn good living and love my job. There are may of us who have a genuine passion for the industry and garner a lot of satisfaction from it, but maybe it's not for you. To each their own :)

I agree it's a silly, hosed-up system, but it's our hosed up system. Until some laws get changed, we're stuck with it. And getting mad at the guest is kind of a typical rookie thing - at some point you realize that it all eventually equals out and you get what you get. Some tip extravagantly, others not at all. No big deal, tomorrow will likely be better. And if you actively strive to give the guest a memorable, positive experience, you'll find that people don't mind shelling out an extra few bucks for someone they recognize as being great at their job.

Freshman fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 16, 2014

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If the employers were to pay their workers fairly, the costs of the meals would rise. And likely disproportionately, as this is how America does it. Bars are the worst with perhaps the largest margins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
as an English, I have no idea if I'm supposed to tip takeaway delivery persons, so I just give them a pound extra and slam the door in their face before I can be exposed as unwordly naïf

• Locked thread