Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

SyHopeful posted:

Alright Americans post your gas receipts :smug:

Not exactly a receipt, but close enough. Those who dare to embiggenclick will be greeted with just $58 and change. I started with about a quarter tank, ended up paying $121 and change. And that's the cheapest gas station in town too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

evobatman posted:

They are why I'm getting a dash cam.

ONE OF US. ONE OF US

It's hilarious, because you can see mine in the pictures I got in the mail today of my speeding ticket. That's right, a speeding ticket in the beetle!

(can you tell that I forgot my sunglasses that day?)

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I have a spare pare of glasses in my glove box in all 3 of my vehicles, plus there's 2 more in the center console of my Jeep at the moment and I always keep a spare pair in my backpack.

gently caress being without sunglasses, I don't know how anyone does it, maybe it's #aryanproblems?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

*drops mic and leaves the stage*

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
If a truck actually had to use that, how much do you want to bet their first instinct would be to jump back in the car rather than just getting the gently caress out of the way?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They probably wouldn't have time, by the time they realized what was going on their cute little car would be helping the truck slow down.

Hopefully they'd have time to jump out of the way, because the police don't deserve that kind of paperwork if they got gibbed.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

SyHopeful posted:

Alright Americans post your gas receipts :smug:

I'm from New Jersey and pay cash. :smug:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

InterceptorV8 posted:

:catstare:

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

xzzy posted:

Because pointing out the flaws of other drivers at a stop light always results in a polite and cordial conversation, right? :v:

(people always act like poo poo when confronted by strangers)

I was running an errand a few weeks ago after dark and noticed a horrible noise every time i was on the brakes, a big clank-clunk. I'm freaking out because I've been chasing an alignment issue in my front suspension and assume the worst is about to happen but it doesn't seem to be coming from the same place each time, sometimes up front sometimes in the back. Then I realize that it's the jeep that's been hanging in the lane next to me when it happens right by my ear. Their whole right rear wheel is wobbling significantly and every time they touch the brakes or the gas it gives the clank, there cant be more than one lug-nut holding that wheel on. So at the next light I'm gesticulating wildly and honking, after giving a little "do I know you?" wave the lady gets the idea and rolls down her window, I tell her the wheel is really messed up and she looks at me like I'm crazy, I say, no seriously that looks really bad you should pull over right away and get it checked. She say's that she was just about to head home anyhow, scowls at me and drives off.

Hope she made it ok, I guess. Really hope she got it checked.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Geirskogul posted:

ONE OF US. ONE OF US

It's hilarious, because you can see mine in the pictures I got in the mail today of my speeding ticket. That's right, a speeding ticket in the beetle!

(can you tell that I forgot my sunglasses that day?)

If you have a dashcam can't you use it to prove you're not speeding? Even if you don't have a GPS one you can take two landmarks, find the distance between them and time it on the video.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I can't imagine he would have kept footage from far enough back to recover it by the time he got the ticket.

Although maybe he will now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unless of course the dashcam footage also proves you were speeding. :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It happened on the 4th of August, and a 32gb card only holds 4-6 hours or so, and my commute is 45 minutes long daily. The dashcam is more for those "oh poo poo, I need to pull that off when I get home/right now because I was just in an accident" moments.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Friar Zucchini posted:

Not exactly a receipt, but close enough. Those who dare to embiggenclick will be greeted with just $58 and change. I started with about a quarter tank, ended up paying $121 and change. And that's the cheapest gas station in town too.

I want that loving bumper sticker.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Do insurance companies give discounts for having a dashcam? I could use a couple dollars off my payments and I see stupud poo poo so often that I'm afraid of them hitting me

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InterceptorV8 posted:

Leaving_State_College_PA.jpg

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
DRL's are horrible and almost got me killed once. Was found at full fault, car totaled, and cited with around 2k in tickets after making a left turn onto a 25mph residential and getting hit by a drunk driver with no lights going 50. Murica!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Your story is missing a lot of detail.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
DRLs are a thing in Sweden, despite the law stating that your lights should never be off in a road vehicle at any time of day or weather.

Combine that with a dark rainy evening, a self-important dickhead ahead on the left and just ahead of you with one hand on the wheel, one hand on the phone and no eyes on the mirrors setting your car up for a t-bone without warning because he suddenly wants to go right.

Getting dashcams for my father and his new wife if they survive the winter. I'd love to get a compact paint-ball marker too, but that could be trouble with the law.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 24, 2019

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Safety Dance posted:

Your story is missing a lot of detail.

At least in my state, fault is entirely determined based on lane control. It doesn't matter if the other car is speeding running from the cops etc. If you get hit making a turn at a 2 or 4 way stop, you aren't in control of the lane you're entering. A lot of states have very arcane failure to stop and failure to yield laws too; a cop can rightfully ticket you for failure to stop even if you did stop.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

So how did daytime running lights play into this?

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
Im assuming the drunk driver only had the DRLS on and the OP didnt see him blasting down the road and pulled out infront of him. If they had the headlights on the OP wouldnt of gotten hit, in theory that is.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What about the times when DRLs make it much easier to see oncoming traffic, i.e. when everyone involved is following the law and not drunk? Especially when I'm on highways where I (and others) have to overtake into oncoming traffic, I really, really like that little bit of extra visibility. Yeah, you shouldn't have any problems without DRLs, but everyone makes mistakes. It would be nice if automatic headlights AND DRLs were both mandatory, in my opinion, so we get the best of all worlds.

Mind you, then you have people who don't feel the need to obey signs that say "use headlights through tunnel." I swear I was the only one who was doing it all the way over Rogers Pass. How loving hard is it to turn your headlight switch to "on"?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Powershift posted:

I can't imagine he would have kept footage from far enough back to recover it by the time he got the ticket.

Although maybe he will now.

Geirskogul posted:

It happened on the 4th of August, and a 32gb card only holds 4-6 hours or so, and my commute is 45 minutes long daily. The dashcam is more for those "oh poo poo, I need to pull that off when I get home/right now because I was just in an accident" moments.

Good point, I kinda forgot about that.

The Door Frame posted:

Do insurance companies give discounts for having a dashcam? I could use a couple dollars off my payments and I see stupud poo poo so often that I'm afraid of them hitting me

I asked my State Farm agent the other day and she said no. That doesn't mean that it won't be eventually but I would ask your agent, it's worth a shot.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

ExtremeODD posted:

Im assuming the drunk driver only had the DRLS on and the OP didnt see him blasting down the road and pulled out infront of him. If they had the headlights on the OP wouldnt of gotten hit, in theory that is.

No lights, black car, owner at least claimed that he thought his DRL's were on but they must have malfunctioned, and that was enough to put full fault on me instead of partial.
The intersection I was hit at was on a steep hill with a rock wall and trees, and at night you can only see headlights from the direction they came.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Bibendum posted:

I was running an errand a few weeks ago after dark and noticed a horrible noise every time i was on the brakes, a big clank-clunk. I'm freaking out because I've been chasing an alignment issue in my front suspension and assume the worst is about to happen but it doesn't seem to be coming from the same place each time, sometimes up front sometimes in the back. Then I realize that it's the jeep that's been hanging in the lane next to me when it happens right by my ear. Their whole right rear wheel is wobbling significantly and every time they touch the brakes or the gas it gives the clank, there cant be more than one lug-nut holding that wheel on. So at the next light I'm gesticulating wildly and honking, after giving a little "do I know you?" wave the lady gets the idea and rolls down her window, I tell her the wheel is really messed up and she looks at me like I'm crazy, I say, no seriously that looks really bad you should pull over right away and get it checked. She say's that she was just about to head home anyhow, scowls at me and drives off.

Hope she made it ok, I guess. Really hope she got it checked.

A couple of weeks ago, I looked at a Mercedes at my shop. She had only one lug bolt holding on the left/rear wheel, and a couple of broken ones in the hub. She turned down the repairs.

I just hope she didn't take anyone else out in the inevitable crash.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

The Door Frame posted:

There was only one that I saw and you had to use their dash cam, which automatically uploads the video to their servers. Probably crappy quality and some kind of 3g signal.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Well I didn't think I would have anything interesting to share, I do now, I didn't have anything to cut the video with so nothing exciting after 20 seconds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtKu-IvdRTQ

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

"Driving a big Audi SUV means I'll never be stuck, even on summer tires :downs:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuTXUcoGdhw

E: I am blind.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 17, 2014

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

KozmoNaut posted:

"Driving a big Audi SUV means I'll never be stuck, even on summer tires :downs:"

It's a Jeep. I love the part where his phone falls out of his pocket into the ruts at 1:30. It certainly gets annihilated shortly after. Near the end of the video I think he's looking for his phone.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

KozmoNaut posted:

Do Grand Cherokees not have reverse?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
^^^ They do, in fact. Later in the video, you'll see him nearly get out of his vehicle with reverse still engaged!

KozmoNaut posted:

That reminds me of watching SUVs struggle with grip while I confidently accelerate in my Mustang, on the basis that I have winter tires and I realize that being gentle on the throttle and careful with the clutch is the way to go.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

D C posted:

Do Grand Cherokees not have reverse?

They do, and he put it in reverse a few times, but then pulled straight back forward into the deep snow instead of left onto the open pavement. Classic macho SUV driver that thinks 4wd + V8 = unstoppable in any terrain.

I witnessed a similar incident in front of my own place. It was a couple and one was pushing while the other was on the gas, but they kept going straight forward. The pusher was constantly losing footing in the slush. After 20 minutes, I geared up and went down my three flights of stairs to help, mainly because I was sick of that sound of spinning rubber on ice. I instructed the driver to crank the wheel towards the open pavement and then I put one foot on the dry curb and pushed the car towards the street. They were out 90 seconds later. I'm continually amazed at the people who succeed at living in snow country.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

People tend to not understand that if your wheels are spinning then your tires have very little, if any, traction.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

ijustam posted:

People tend to not understand that if your wheels are spinning then your tires have very little, if any, traction.

Keep spinning, it works at tractor pulls.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tarantula posted:

Well I didn't think I would have anything interesting to share, I do now, I didn't have anything to cut the video with so nothing exciting after 20 seconds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtKu-IvdRTQ

Maybe all of you shouldn't have been drving on the wrong side of the road :argh:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Powershift posted:

Maybe all of you shouldn't have been drving on the wrong side of the road :argh:
He's on the correct side of the road, just the wrong side of the planet.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CharlieWhiskey posted:

They do, and he put it in reverse a few times, but then pulled straight back forward into the deep snow instead of left onto the open pavement. Classic macho SUV driver that thinks 4wd + V8 = unstoppable in any terrain.
The best part of large SUVs is watching them understeer off the road after the driver's overcooked a corner.

Last year, I drove my beater shitbox (lowered, on race compound brake pads) 91 Miata with rusty primer patches and peeling paint on studded tires past a guy with a brand new Pathfinder crashed in the ditch in the first blizzard of the year. The look on his face as I tootled by in my tiny gay car is something I will always treasure.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The best part of large SUVs is watching them understeer off the road after the driver's overcooked a corner.
On the other hand, an SUV on appropriate tyres and with a driver who knows roughly what they're doing is hilarious fun in the snow. You can just romp around like a happy/demented V8 St Bernard.

And you still get the "you were ok therefore I should be fine too" attitude from people in things like X5s with low-profile rubber on icy hills.