Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Covington and Louisville? Sounds like a double header :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Hell yeah Nashgoons who's going

I was just looking at Exit/In earlier today (aka the only place around) for something decent

I'm from Knoxville but I might have to go to this. Specially if it gets goonmeety. And gently caress you Carcass What constitutes a C Market cause Nashville sure isn't one.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Lawrence, Des Moines, Grand Rapids (although they actually get a fair amount of shows) and Sauget jump out at me. I had to look up Sauget and it apparently has 159 people, though it's technically a St. Louis suburb.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Personperson14 posted:

I'm from Knoxville but I might have to go to this. Specially if it gets goonmeety. And gently caress you Carcass What constitutes a C Market cause Nashville sure isn't one.

Goonmeet for this could be cool.

I think nashville really is a c market for metal. Shame because Thrashville could be awesome.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:
I'm hoping to go to the Nashville show. A goon meet-up would be cool. There's a chance I'll be going alone anyway. *sigh*

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Nashville is real bad for metal, which I agree is a shame. It was awesome seeing Maiden last year though, so maybe things will get better with the citys growing popularity.

A bar meetup before or after the show, or another date around the gig would be a cool idea.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Henchman of Santa posted:

Oh poo poo, they're playing at the Crofoot? If I'm still in this region by November I'll be looking strongly at that (although I already got Carcass and Noisem once this year). Exhumed seem like they would be a lot of fun. I've never listened to Macabre.

Calling Pontiac a "C Market" is silly though. It's still metro-Detroit.

Nobody wants to play at Harpo's anymore :(

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Week and a half to go:

:getin:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Nobody wants to play at Harpo's anymore :(

Can you blame them?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Old as poo poo death metal band Terminal Death are getting their material reissued and you can listen to some of it here. If you like early thrashy death metal you should probably check this out.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

A human heart posted:

Old as poo poo death metal band Terminal Death are getting their material reissued and you can listen to some of it here. If you like early thrashy death metal you should probably check this out.

Solid

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

So Metal Thread for some foolish reason, I want to stuff something similar to one my guilty pleasure bands - Divinity Destroyed. Take some wanky wanna-be Dream Theater stuff add a a bit of melo-death and a few other genres, some "oohh look I read some entry level poetry and philosophy books" lyrics, and a lot of self-belief in their own artistic merit and you get Divinity Destroyed.

Void
Therdony
Borealis

So can anyone suggest anything similar, but less terrible (actually being less terrible is optional). Wankery - musically and lyrically - is a must, I think I'm asking for a more grimdark Dream Theater... :cripes:

DroneRiff fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 15, 2014

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

DroneRiff posted:

So Metal Thread for some foolish reason, I want to stuff something similar to one my guilty pleasure bands - Divinity Destroyed. Take some wanky wanna-be Dream Theater stuff add a a bit of melo-death and a few other genres, some "oohh look I read some entry level poetry and philosophy books" lyrics, and a lot of self-belief in their own artistic merit and you get Divinity Destroyed.

Void
Therdony
Borealis

So can anyone suggest anything similar, but less terrible (actually being less terrible is optional). Wankery - musically and lyrically - is a must, I think I'm asking for a more grimdark Dream Theater... :cripes:
Why would anyone listen to this on purpose :psyduck:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

DroneRiff posted:

Void
Therdony
Borealis

Wintersun - Time II

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Misogynist posted:

Why would anyone listen to this on purpose :psyduck:

This is a question I ask myself! I know I'm crazy...

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Wintersun - Time II
laffo

I'll see your Time II and raise you these guys who live down the road from my old apartment:

http://shadowstrike.bandcamp.com/

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
lmao that bass drum sounds like a fat guy sitting in front of the pedal

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

DroneRiff posted:

Void
Therdony
Borealis

The comments on the second song, holy poo poo.

quote:

This band, above any other, shows that being popular isn't what music is about. You won't hear anything near this quality on the radio stations or MTV.

Yeah, no poo poo, even MTV has standards.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Misogynist posted:

laffo

I'll see your Time II and raise you these guys who live down the road from my old apartment:

http://shadowstrike.bandcamp.com/

I don't listen to a whole lot of power metal so I can't really give a good opinion on that aside from "it's nerdy" but man I don't like their drum tones.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Oh god I hadn't even looked at the comments. My god, what have I done?

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I'll never get how people can listen to power metal exclusively, I get it we have all been 14 but poo poo, it gets so old so fast.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I'd find it a bit weird if anyone listened to only one genre or subgenre exclusively, no matter what it was.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

DroneRiff posted:

Void
Therdony
Borealis

Holy poo poo, I've actually heard this band before, several years ago.
I think an American online buddy of mine used to know these guys personally or something, he sent me a few songs. I didn't keep them for long, though. :v: Completely forgot about the band until now.

There is some sort of very weird charm to them, actually. I can't even begin to describe what it is. And it doesn't really carry them that far because, well, yeah they are kinda terrible too. It's actually pretty impressive how little their sound seems to have evolved in all these years.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I've never listened to Manilla Road. Which album should I start with?

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
Crystal Logic.

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...
I preferred Open the Gates when I first started listening to them.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

fatherdog posted:

I'd find it a bit weird if anyone listened to only one genre or subgenre exclusively, no matter what it was.

One day I was listening to some Joe Pass in my office and when my boss walked by he did a double take and laughed at me.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

fatherdog posted:

I go through a short of strange rotation. Last week was BG week, before that was prog, now it's Doomriders / Tombs / Sandrider with a little Death Metal spattered throughout, and folk, neo-classical, and post rock during work. It's completely inconsistent.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

attackmole posted:

The Deluge is fantastic.

Weaponized Cum posted:

I'll never get how people can listen to power metal exclusively, I get it we have all been 14 but poo poo, it gets so old so fast.

haha oh man have you guys ever heard of poohkali

I listen to power metal whenever I want nice escapist music that doesn't require too much concentration to enjoy (which is a lot of the time when I'm depressed :v:) but I feel like you'd have to be emotionally stunted to make it a majority of your listening diet.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

attackmole posted:

Crystal Logic is their best imo, but Open The Gates, The Deluge and Mystification are all good and worth listening to.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Heartwork vs. Slaughter Of The Soul. GO.

The correct answer is Slaughter of The Soul

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Hammer Floyd posted:

Your left nut or your right nut. GO.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
The Red in the Sky is Ours

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Weaponized Cum posted:

god I used to listen to so much Stratovarius and I haven't listened to them in probably 10 years now

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gamma Nerd posted:

The Red in the Sky is Ours

I believe you meant Necroticism.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Hammer Floyd posted:

First two Carcass albums and toss the rest. Not a fan of At the Gates really but that's probably their (EDIT: second) best album.

Oliver Reed fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 16, 2014

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Hammer Floyd posted:

They're both bad.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Hammer Floyd posted:

The End Complete.:colbert:

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy

A human heart posted:

They're both bad.

Oh how wrong you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Henchman of Santa posted:

Can you blame them?

It's unironically my favorite venue.