Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

madjackmcmad posted:

Where's your preorder page!?

By popular demand, pre-orders are live!

http://www.freeholdgames.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Well, I just had an embarrassing death in Brogue. Level 25, I'm fighting a tentacle horror. I kite it onto a paralysis trap in the hopes of brutally murdering it, but the trap gets me too. Through some bad luck, the horror de-paralyzes before I do. Because I'm still paralyzed, the horror critically hits me for triple its max damage, killing me instantly from full health.

The dumbest part is that I had highly-enchanted staves of firebolt and blinking. I had no reason to even be in melee range with it.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Unormal posted:

By popular demand, pre-orders are live!

http://www.freeholdgames.com/

Done! Awesome.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

madjackmcmad posted:

Done! Awesome.

Hah, thanks! :D

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Callick posted:

I don't really read this thread but I just wanted to (hopefully) echo the sentiment that Crypt of the Necrodancer loving owns.

Why isn't the soundtrack on spotify. :saddowns:

I paid $10 extra to not feel guilty for pirating the soundtrack :(

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Klaus Kinski posted:

Why isn't the soundtrack on spotify. :saddowns:

I paid $10 extra to not feel guilty for pirating the soundtrack :(
What's different about the Soundtrack version? I ask because the base game has all the stage music in the game folder as .oggs (and the shopkeeper voices under streaming_music if you want to overlap the two in Audacity or something, they fit together perfectly), albeit untagged. Is it higher quality or something?

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

maketakunai posted:

What's different about the Soundtrack version? I ask because the base game has all the stage music in the game folder as .oggs (and the shopkeeper voices under streaming_music if you want to overlap the two in Audacity or something, they fit together perfectly), albeit untagged. Is it higher quality or something?

I think the only difference is that the soundtrack dlc has all the songs in .mp3 in a /soundtrack folder.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Here's a first person roguelike that recently went up on steam early access. Looks like it has potential.

Ziggurat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-fHx6QEdUk

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

uPen posted:

You can't do this in Sil. :ohdear:

I'm fairly sure you can?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Serephina posted:

I'm fairly sure you can?

Sil tries for 'realism' to some degree so no diagonals through corners. Includes elbow bends and what not.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
I hope Ziggurat has trickjumping in it.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Wanna play that game

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Harminoff posted:

Here's a first person roguelike that recently went up on steam early access. Looks like it has potential.

Ziggurat
It reminds me of Heretic/Hexen and it's not a bad thing.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Harminoff posted:

Ziggurat

I know it's a trailer so they want to show a lot of action, but it makes the game look like a mindless fps with big, flat rooms and a bunch of monsters and not very fun at all. If that's exactly what it is, then I'll have to pass.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Potsticker posted:

I know it's a trailer so they want to show a lot of action, but it makes the game look like a mindless fps with big, flat rooms and a bunch of monsters and not very fun at all. If that's exactly what it is, then I'll have to pass.
I saw a longer vid yesterday, but it's removed now. Probably because the person had a press copy and wasn't actually supposed to release footage now or whatever. Anyway, the game seems to be deeper than what you assume. You collect xp from killed monsters and pick perks when you level up, so there is rpg stuff. The rooms that I saw either had treasure, traps, lore, or monsters. In the last case, you get a bar at the top that reads "minions" and that ticks down with every kill. Aside from xp, they also drop mana for your three different mana pools which are staff, spell, and alchemy. The aim on each floor is to find a key that summons the boss, and of course, getting xp, new things, and looking for secret rooms behind cracked walls. In the video I saw that you have a little zappy wand as your default weapon, which recharges and fires fast but it's weak. Then I saw an ice spell that's like a shotgun, and a fire grenade that did a little AOE damage. So overall, kinda like hexen with the speed of quake and some roguelike stuff in it. Tbh, I'd like to jump around in a cloud of monsters while I zap magic at their faces but that's just me.

E: Oh hey, turns out the video was pulled because some people couldn't watch it on their mobiles. I'll link it once it comes back.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 16, 2014

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Harminoff posted:

Ziggurat

:krad:

Spot on with the Hexen / Heretic lineage. Looks really cool. Sometimes you just want to run around a dungeon fooming things.

Tin Tim posted:

the game seems to be deeper than what you assume.

That's good to hear, but even if it wasn't true it still looks like 12 bucks worth of good time.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yeah game is out. I should have linked it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/308420/

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Cerepol posted:

Sil tries for 'realism' to some degree so no diagonals through corners. Includes elbow bends and what not.

How can I put this politely? You are totally, 100% incorrect. And drat you for making me install WINE just to check.

You're probably thinking of a different game, Brogue perhaps?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Serephina posted:

How can I put this politely? You are totally, 100% incorrect. And drat you for making me install WINE just to check.

You're probably thinking of a different game, Brogue perhaps?

poo poo I must have been it's been a while since I've okayed probably just combing those 2 since they are the only games I still play completely in ASCII. Wait I forgot caves of qud. Guess there's that whole over confidence thing in action my bad.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Watched someone play a good amount of Ziggurat. Sure it's got a lot of monsters ripped straight out of Doom and Hexen and so on, but all it ever seems to do with them is just spawn a bunch of them into a big square rooms and let you circle strafe around and spray them with bullets until dead. It lacks the hand-made encounter and level design that's really important to those old FPSes. It's also just five floors long which is pretty short.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

straight jerkers posted:

Watched someone play a good amount of Ziggurat. Sure it's got a lot of monsters ripped straight out of Doom and Hexen and so on, but all it ever seems to do with them is just spawn a bunch of them into a big square rooms and let you circle strafe around and spray them with bullets until dead. It lacks the hand-made encounter and level design that's really important to those old FPSes. It's also just five floors long which is pretty short.

I want to believe it's an amazing game, but the video just looks like a "pedal backwards while holding fire" type of experience. I've got Tower of Guns, I'm good with random shooters for the time being.

Everyone here seems to get different things out of roguelikes, and what I'd like to see in an FPS roguelike is that good item/environment/etc interaction, like rooms and zombies in flames in Brogue, or falling down stairs in Nethack because you're overburdened. Then turning to stone because your wielded cockatrice corpse touched you. It doesn't need to be that wacky, but it should be something other than poison/flame/splash damage being the height of item interaction in FPS.

There's time yet, the visuals look wonderful, who knows how gameplay will shape up?

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 16, 2014

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

doctorfrog posted:

I want to believe it's an amazing game, but the video just looks like a "pedal backwards while holding fire" type of experience. I've got Tower of Guns, I'm good with random shooters for the time being.

Everyone here seems to get different things out of roguelikes, and what I'd like to see in an FPS roguelike is that good item/environment/etc interaction, like rooms and zombies in flames in Brogue, or falling down stairs in Nethack because you're overburdened. Then turning to stone because your wielded cockatrice corpse touched you. It doesn't need to be that wacky, but it should be something other than poison/flame/splash damage being the height of item interaction in FPS.

There's time yet, the visuals look wonderful, who knows how gameplay will shape up?

I took the plunge and it's not very interesting. Boring rooms, ok enemies, boring weapons. It could turn out great, but currently it's a don't buy.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Every roguelike FPS so far is basically the same thing. Kill monsters in room > get upgrade > go to next room > repeat.

Boooooring.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Doesn't help that they all either have SLIGE tier map design or just a handful of map parts they shuffle around.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

dis astranagant posted:

Doesn't help that they all either have SLIGE tier map design or just a handful of map parts they shuffle around.

Even in that case, it could be kinda fun as a co-op time waster. In the case of Tower of Guns, it's single player only, with no saving, which meant I played it for an hour, admired it, and put it away.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
In case anybody else cares, nuclear throne released a mac version at some point. Apparently a mac version of risk of rain is incoming as well.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's apparently some risk of rain update in the works that'll include a new class or two. all i remember is some little mech-kinda dude with a grapple arm.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
And the Invisible Inc. (fka Incognita) Early Access is dropping Tuesday. I was in the alpha and they stopped alpha patches just as it was getting pretty darn good to put new stuff in and launch the official Early Access. It's a stealth-based mostly-roguelike (X-COM like, let's say).

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Jordan7hm posted:

Every roguelike FPS so far is basically the same thing. Kill monsters in room > get upgrade > go to next room > repeat.

Boooooring.

I'm really, really looking forward to Spire, even though none of the actual game parts have been shown, just some movement demos from some dev coding streams a while back. At the very least I'm hoping that the core movement mechanics are going to be actually fun to engage with, and I have a lot of faith in the hitbox team (dustforce devs).

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Here's the Ziggurat video I was talking about earlier. Should be a good way to estimate if it's your cup of tea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OZDYo6faak

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

animatorZed posted:

I'm really, really looking forward to Spire, even though none of the actual game parts have been shown, just some movement demos from some dev coding streams a while back. At the very least I'm hoping that the core movement mechanics are going to be actually fun to engage with, and I have a lot of faith in the hitbox team (dustforce devs).

My biggest problem with these is that Doom / Heretic / Hexen feel 100x better, and have so much unplayed high quality content that a roguelike FPS would really have to break the mold to have any kind of staying power.

e: Hell, I'd rather just have a wad randomizer and some kind of mod that fakes weapon progression. You're going to get crazy unbalanced content, but at least the encounters aren't "monsters in a room".

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

My biggest problem with these is that Doom / Heretic / Hexen feel 100x better, and have so much unplayed high quality content that a roguelike FPS would really have to break the mold to have any kind of staying power.

Spire is more Quake than Doom and even then more Defrag than Quake 3 from what the devs have said. A lot more focus on movement. I don't think it sounds much like a roguelike though. More like Dustforce in 3D with procedural levels, which still sounds great and I'm incredibly excited for it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

e: Hell, I'd rather just have a wad randomizer and some kind of mod that fakes weapon progression. You're going to get crazy unbalanced content, but at least the encounters aren't "monsters in a room".

War of Attrition is basically that for Duke Nukem 3d and is some of the most fun I've had in any 2.5D FPS; as you do damage with a weapon, it levels up and gains additional effects and firing modes. Every ten weapon levels, Duke gains a new ability, and as you gain weapon levels the enemies ramp up along with you. It has one mode where you play through the original game levels, and win by completing the game, and one where you play through random fan-made levels, and win by reaching a certain score and then clearing a boss level.

Doom of Attrition or Heretic of Attrition would be pretty amazing. (I suspect Hexen is unsalvageable.)

E: oh hey, looks like a new version was released earlier this year

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 17, 2014

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

I can totally understand you. I also think that Ziggurath needs to be fleshed out more and should go beyond what it currently is. But since it's early access, I hope it will. I personally will wait on buying it a bit, just to see what happens. But then again, even if it stays mostly the same, I still will grab it because I'm a sucker for fast paced fps games.

Well, at least it's no Rogue Shooter. That was a waste of five bux for me :v:

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Superschaf posted:

Spire is more Quake than Doom and even then more Defrag than Quake 3 from what the devs have said. A lot more focus on movement. I don't think it sounds much like a roguelike though. More like Dustforce in 3D with procedural levels, which still sounds great and I'm incredibly excited for it.

Yeah, roguelike was a far stretch there, although its not really clear yet what the actual gameplay loop is going to be outside of procedural areas and randomized pickups for movement modifiers and weapons. Just thought of it since the actual movement mechanics look like they could be great.

Also the procedural level generation looks to be way more interesting than the rooms connected by corridors that plague most other procedural fps areas. Rogue shooter being the worst offender. I don't know how its possible to even make a game that boring.

Overall, I do share the view that most of the actual dungeoncrawler type FPS games have looked boring as sin to actually play.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

dis astranagant posted:

SLIGE and its branch projects have actually gotten a lot better these days than they used to be.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Tin Tim posted:

Here's the Ziggurat video I was talking about earlier. Should be a good way to estimate if it's your cup of tea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OZDYo6faak

Holy poo poo this guy can not shut up for even a second.

As far as the game goes, it does have a couple interesting looking rooms, but that big empty one was really disappointing, especially with how the enemy drops disappear after a too-short time. The level up benefits were all "Permanent Upgrade" vs "Temporary Boost" and it seems foolish to ever choose the later. The art direction looks nice, having different playable characters seems interesting. There might be a good game here eventually, but it's not there yet.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there any good FPS roguelike released that has interesting skills though? Like it seems everyone I've seen, (Ziggurat, Heavy Bullets, Candy Skulls, Tower of Guns, and Eldritch,) All have that lovely progression of Melee -> Gun -> Better Gun -> Best Gun. It doesn't seem like there are many innovative ideas. No fancy movement stuff, no "magicky" type spells that could change how you play. Just Shoot Mans -> Win game. I feel like Ziggurat and games like it are doomed to fail, because instead of innovating they're just trying to re-tread over the same tired ground.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Nintendo Kid posted:

SLIGE and its branch projects have actually gotten a lot better these days than they used to be.

I'm pretty confident saying Oblige beats the piss out of the maps in every one of these FPS roguelikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
FPS aren't roguelikes.