Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I like this show. Sure, its not highbrow or a serious drama, but its not trying to be. It's a fun, gory monster show. I find it entertaining enough that I'm not bothered by most of the stuff people are complaining about. The only real thing I don't like is the Puerto Rican gangster character, I wish they could have given all his screentime to Russian exterminator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

savinhill posted:

I like this show. Sure, its not highbrow or a serious drama, but its not trying to be. It's a fun, gory monster show. I find it entertaining enough that I'm not bothered by most of the stuff people are complaining about. The only real thing I don't like is the Puerto Rican gangster character, I wish they could have given all his screentime to Russian exterminator.

But his hermano's a heroin addict!!!!!

And he loves his MOTHER!!!!!!! I'll kill you trashman!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

savinhill posted:

I like this show. Sure, its not highbrow or a serious drama, but its not trying to be. It's a fun, gory monster show.

My issue is that it is trying to be both serious and campy. The campy stuff is working, the serious stuff isn't. It takes a lot of commitment and talent to do both well.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

savinhill posted:

I'm not really bothered by a lot of the stuff either. I do find it really weird that people are defending the writing though.

Avasculous posted:

Are you being serious with this? A head official at the airport gets violently killed 90 minutes into the investigation he's assisting, surrounded by forensic evidence connecting his corpse to the deaths on the plane (the ammonia), and you don't think people would count that as evidence that something fishy is going on?

Nah people would just assume that's business as usual obviously.

CODChimera fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Aug 17, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

wormil posted:

My issue is that it is trying to be both serious and campy. The campy stuff is working, the serious stuff isn't. It takes a lot of commitment and talent to do both well.

I really didn't see any serious stuff.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Mu Zeta posted:

I really didn't see any serious stuff.

I wish I hadn't because they don't do it very well.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
But who is going to get custody?!?!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Grin and Tonic posted:

But who is going to get custody?!?!

You'll be surprised.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The show will get much better once it gets to the vampire hunting goodness and also having the vampires go to town on NYC.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Oh gently caress these people let them die

Captain Melo
Mar 28, 2014
God I'm loving this episode so far!

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
gently caress yes!!

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The show just moves too slow. I realize their trying to drag it out for 2, 3 maybe 4 or more seasons but, jeez, move the thing along. I really could care less about Eph's family, the kid is just a bad actor, almost as bad as Eph, and they had to throw in an alzheimer grandma and a heart condition for the vampire hunter; can't let anybody just go out and do some actual vampire hunting. Give me more of the pest control guy, please. And on top of everything, now people can get infected from slobber worms?

edit: just have to say that I've so drat tired of the "lights and electricity work in the rest of the building but not the one room where the monster is at" gimmick.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 18, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

radical meme posted:

And on top of everything, now people can get infected from slobber worms?

Uhh, worms are worms, they've been pretty clear about how if you get a worm on you you'll get infected. It was stuff after its head got bashed open. Brain juice. Not just saliva.

Everything else, though, for the most part, yeah. :sigh:

But this episode at least had some stuff going on.

The cool rat-dude visiting his dad had some of the worst acting/dialog in the known universe. I don't think there'd be anything redeemable about this show if it didn't have the million-dollar budget vampire CGI stuff. This would have dramatically improved had HBO made it an 8-episode season...and made it only one season

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 18, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Yeah, of course the cops beat the poo poo out of the first Hispanic guy they see when there's a corpse on the ground the color of lima beans oozing a mass of white gunk from his body, oh and the body will start vaporizing in the sunlight. Nope BOOK EM' NOTHING ELSE TO SEE HERE.

This is 6 loving hours, halfway into the entire season, and its still the most idiotic "people in charge do stupid things" imaginable. Does the FBI honestly believe this one doctor from the CDC was somehow able to smuggle 200+ bodies out of a hospital in a night and no one saw anything? Were they just smacking him around and threatening him expecting him to go "yeah I stole and stashed the bodies, you got me".

Oh, and does no one in the FBI/DOJ/White House know anything about that spate of attacks the night people where feral people attacked and ate people? That an entire clip of bullets can't stop? And this doctor is telling them about it?

Just abandon the whole "govt is sooooo incompetent" angle and focus on the small scale of people getting wrecked by vampires and the city falling into chaos. We don't need to keep seeing the bs family drama between ex-wife and new rear end in a top hat husband, no one cares about the stupid kid, and the side cast of characters who are going to become the core of the anti-vampire army is taking forever to hook up and start killing poo poo.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

pentyne posted:

Yeah, of course the cops beat the poo poo out of the first Hispanic guy they see

The most realistic portrayal of the NYPD ever put to TV. :golfclap:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Once the cops hear that black people are also vampires and can be killshot they're going to gear up and save the day.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Drifter posted:

Once the cops hear that black people are also vampires and can be killshot they're going to gear up and save the day.

This being the NYPD they'll tool up and smoke any non-infected in the background, thus killing the food source and saving the day in a fairly roundabout way.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011
This week: at least some stuff happened but not really all that much.

The tone, pacing, and dialog all run the gamut from inconsistent to abyssal. The vampires, gore, and actual vampire killing are the only bright spots of the show. It's frustrating that every character is packed to the gills with stupid tropes but that's not really the show's fault since they're mostly true to the books.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The main CDC guy was literally just standing over a dude he met two hours ago, watching him bleed out and dying from being eaten in the loving neck and he stares him down and says "Hey, bud. I warned you. Welp."

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

I will never get over the fact that Bolivar's loft house thing is actually a sketchy concert venue in a lovely part of Toronto. They made it look so gorgeous.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

That FBI agent not wanting to stop a guy covered in blood from attacking someone in a car was hilarious. Then they both get killed by a snake from the guys mouth and still no one really gives a poo poo.

Then a bunch of cops run over and beat up the protagonist after he successfully defended himself from the blood covered monster which is still somehow running around attacking people.

At least those bits were funny though. Really hoping things will escalate next episode but at this point I'm wondering if it ever will.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

At least the sun thing provides a plausible explanation for why this thing wasn't discovered when the mourge went to poo poo all the way back in episode 1. Everyone who's bitten gets converted and then hides.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Quote is not edit.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I still think it's amusing that every day has like 8 hours of total darkness where these things can run amok, attacking people without the fear of sun.

However, they wait until there's 15 minutes of darkness in the middle of the day to make their move.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like the swords and the part where the penis fell off.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Xoidanor posted:

At least the sun thing provides a plausible explanation for why this thing wasn't discovered when the mourge went to poo poo all the way back in episode 1. Everyone who's bitten gets converted and then hides.

I want to say that it's because the master vampire is mind controlling them not to attack until now, but then there's nothing in the lovely tv show that explains that fact.

Haha.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
This show is worth watching because it is making spergs lose their poo poo because it is taking its time explaining the "rules" of the show and explaining why certain things are happening the way they are.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

InfiniteZero posted:

This show is worth watching because it is making spergs lose their poo poo because it is taking its time explaining the "rules" of the show and explaining why certain things are happening the way they are.

I doubt anyone is losing their poo poo so much as laughing at how silly some of this stuff is.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, it's fine really. Summer Sunday night programming gets a lot of latitude for me. There's not much on and I just need some dumb entertainment to prepare me for the coming week.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

CODChimera posted:

That FBI agent not wanting to stop a guy covered in blood from attacking someone in a car was hilarious. Then they both get killed by a snake from the guys mouth and still no one really gives a poo poo.

Then a bunch of cops run over and beat up the protagonist after he successfully defended himself from the blood covered monster which is still somehow running around attacking people.

At least those bits were funny though. Really hoping things will escalate next episode but at this point I'm wondering if it ever will.

Everyone in New York is being attacked by vampires. If that doesn't count as escalation I'm not sure what would.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Drifter posted:

I want to say that it's because the master vampire is mind controlling them not to attack until now, but then there's nothing in the lovely tv show that explains that fact.

Haha.

I posted about this last week. So we're only about halfway through season 1 and the show is lovely because it hasn't "explained this fact". You, based probably on basic knowledge of vampire mythology, figured out the answer for yourself, but the show is lovely because it hasn't spelled it out by now?

I don't even think this show is very good but some of these specific complaints are aggravating.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
God damnit, The Strain. I want to like you. But it's hard. This episode really felt like a 'filler'. In terms of advancing the main characters' arcs, almost nothing happened. Last episode ended with Eph having to run from the authorities. This episode, they catch him, we have to watch another instance of 'the authorities are unwilling or unable to acknowledge the threat', but the two agents are quickly killed off at the end and Eph is in the exact same place as he was 40 minutes ago. In the meantime, there are some more ex-wife / son family scenes. We are reminded that Gus does not want to work for Eichhorst, but Eichhorst has power over him, using the mother. (They dump a vampire corpse in a river - I did not really understand why, whose corpse was that? The pilot? Didn't Eph burn his remains in the basement?)

The characters I actually like to see - Setrakian, Fet, Eichhorst and Bolivar - got very little screentime this week, unfortunately. But Setrakian has a plan, so unless it takes him all of next episode to explain his plan, hopefully more cool gory stuff will happen, like the actual outbreak and the heroes starting to fight back.

Last episode also featured the revelation that the vampires have already spread throughout the city, but remain in hiding. This threat is completely ignored for most of this episode, because we have to wait 30 minutes until the occultation. Which is really weird to me, why not attack at night? More time, less policemen fighting back - it doesn't seem like the vampires would have problems getting into people's houses. This is actually something that reminds me of Helix. In that show, there was a horde of infected people in the base, sometimes they appeared and attacked people but most of the time they seemed to be asleep while the main characters need time to figure out their interpersonal dramas. Also, the main cast consisted of CDC professionals which acted nothing like CDC professionals at all.

sicDaniel fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 18, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Basebf555 posted:

I posted about this last week. So we're only about halfway through season 1 and the show is lovely because it hasn't "explained this fact". You, based probably on basic knowledge of vampire mythology, figured out the answer for yourself, but the show is lovely because it hasn't spelled it out by now?

I don't even think this show is very good but some of these specific complaints are aggravating.

They spend a total of, like, 5 minutes with the infected experiencing tinnitus or something, but nothing along the lines of even suggesting communication with the master or even urges beyond 'Hmm, I guess I maybe want to eat something.'

And I only know because someone else posted about it earlier from the books. To my mind I haven't seen anything regarding mind control or communication in the show. Which again, doesn't explain why everyone's hiding in the sewer waiting for some eclipse that lasts an hour to rush into the streets.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 18, 2014

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Drifter posted:

And I only know because someone else posted about it earlier from the books. To my mind I haven't seen anything regarding mind control or communication in the show. Which again, doesn't explain why everyone's hiding in the sewer waiting for some eclipse that lasts an hour to rush into the streets.

So we've established that there is a "Master" vampire, and that he's a Dracula type figure that's been around for a very long time. The newly turned vampires are all congregating in a sewer, presumably waiting to attack but we don't know exactly why. That isn't enough for you? Even if you can't figure it out from there, this is something that will be explained with one throwaway line of dialogue at some point in the next few episodes, is it really that big a deal?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Basebf555 posted:

is it really that big a deal?

Not a big deal, just funnily bad.

The pacing is just so glacially slow that it's frustrating to see a potentially interesting idea be put into practice so poorly. There's no tension. There's no horror - aside from the gross-out kind from the cool effects. The characters are mostly boring or otherwise unbelievable with nothing to connect them to people - tried and failed.

It's just sad. :saddowns:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 18, 2014

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
I was really looking forward to this thread but it seems to be filled with ADD'd bellyachers. If you geniuses can do TV better then why aren't you making it? Y'all need to just disappear up your own assholes and gently caress off. It's sad make believe isn't "real" enough for you. :jerkbag:

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

B.H. Facials posted:

I was really looking forward to this thread but it seems to be filled with ADD'd bellyachers. If you geniuses can do TV better then why aren't you making it? Y'all need to just disappear up your own assholes and gently caress off. It's sad make believe isn't "real" enough for you. :jerkbag:

No we get that it's make believe. It's just done really really badly. When a guy like Guillermo del Toro lends his name to a project I expect something a gently caress ton better. The show just needs to pick a direction and go there. Maybe their faithfully following some book(s) but not even Game of Thrones follows the books over a cliff. I love me some good sci-fi/horror but this show is stretching it. It has its moments but then does things like have Eph with his hands cuffed in front of him when any teenager can tell you that the cops always cuff your hands in back of you or the female CDC lady with alzheimer grandma has some secret stairwell she uses to escape the FBI and decides to drag a loving suitcase along. That's another thing, this show has so many useless characters in it that the only name I know is Eph and its because its such a ridiculous name. But, it does have its moments so I'll keep watching it. I put up with Helix for the entire season and this is a least better than Helix. It's a poo poo load better than Falling Skies also and that show has been on for what, 4 seasons now.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I enjoy the non-bad parts of this show (I don't care about Ephraim's family) and I can't wait for the rat catcher to team up with the other people so they can all bust vampires together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's pulpy fun and I can appreciate it for that. I'm not panning the dialog or the plot because they are what they are and part and parcel to the material.

The pacing is just really off though and that's a perfectly valid criticism to make. The episodes don't really feel as though they are building momentum even though the plot progression is telling us that things ARE happening. It's got this sort of start-stop jerky feel to the pacing and I can certainly see validity in complaining a bit about it.

• Locked thread