Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Panty Saluter posted:

That really blows but I can't help but wonder if the Charter rep wasn't a little confused. If lines are laid I don't know how they could deliver basic TV but not any advanced services since the full spectrum should be coming out of the hub to all areas. Are you moving to an apartment? Maybe they meant only bulk services were included there (basic TV lineup) but you would have to pay for anything more advanced.

I know nothing of Charter or Carrollton but it just seems to me if you have lines laid to an area you'd have to go way out of your way to limit service to that area. If that really is the case have you considered Clearwire or something like it? Still not ideal but if you have decent 4G reception it will still be better than 3 Mbps DSL with a land line you don't need.

Sadly I've talked to 4 charter employees at this point, one of which who was at the local office here and has worked for charter for 15 years. She explained it as they didn't have the systems setup for the two way communication required for Internet and advanced cable, so they can only send data which is why basic cable TV is all they offer.

I'm going to look into clearwire. How is latency? One of my uses would be playing video games so things like satellite aren't viable for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

SpartanIV posted:

She explained it as they didn't have the systems setup for the two way communication

:psypop:

You know, there's being lazy about upgrading your plant and then there's this. Maybe it's all old people in that neighborhood who want things like they were in 1983? I just don't understand how that did not happen at some point since two-way plant has been a thing for like 15 years now. Amazing.

Anyway, Clearwire is not as good as hard line for ping times but it's serviceable from what I've heard. My wife and her family were on Clear for a while and were able to play MMOs just fine, although fast action games could be more of an issue. I guess if you get decent pings to a local cell tower it might not be too bad.

e: well now the wife says trying to play WoW on Clear was pretty awful as she recalls. I guess DSL might be your best bet, although you might want to dig and see about dry loop DSL. Then again if they have no two way cable in that neighborhood.... :v:

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 12, 2014

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Go across the street and meet your fios neighbors. Buy whatever routers and point to point wireless gear you need for your new best friend.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

thebigcow posted:

Go across the street and meet your fios neighbors. Buy whatever routers and point to point wireless gear you need for your new best friend.

This is probably the best bet. Buy a Buffalo router or something where you can set limits and share the connection out. Offer to pay half/all their bill and provide the equipment.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?
One of my old jobs had to do this, as they couldn't even get basic DSL service but across the street they could get a decent cable connection. It was a brand new loving building that we were in too, with business everywhere around. So we ended up getting a line at the building across the street for a small fee on top of the monthly service fee from the ISP and some decent equipment that worked amazingly well considering it was wireless and over a pretty far distance.

I'm always worried when I move I will get hosed over like this. I'm on 60/10 right now and Canada is such a crap shoot for internet. Going down to anything below 30/5 at this point would make me sad.

A c E fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 12, 2014

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I do have friends that live 2.5 miles away from me that have FIOS. It's more or less line of sight, and a lot of these point to point things I see advertise "up to 5 miles" and such, but what kind of real performance are we talking here? After a certain distance am I going to see a a huge drop in performance?

I'm not too optimistic about getting a stranger across the street to agree to share their internet and let me setup equipment, so I think if it's feasible to transmit over 2.5 miles that might be a better option, although the equipment would be more expensive.

Another option to pursue might be to strike a deal with the apartment complex's management itself, and not bother trying to go through a tenant there.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Not a tenant, your new friend Edgar Willaby.

Distance can vary greatly depending on conditions, you'll need to get both endpoints up fairly high which is probably going to be your biggest stumbling block in a city. Look at these people and start reading if you really want to try this.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

SpartanIV posted:

Now you might be thinking I live on the edge of civilization or in a rural area, right? Nope! I'm in loving Carrollton, Texas. Right next to Dallas, and with dense city and suburbs in at least 50 miles in every direction. The apartments across the street can get loving FIOS, but somehow this place I am now contractually obligated to live at or lose $1,000 is on an island of digital isolation.

Befriend someone across the street, install two of these in bridge mode, and avoid lovely ISP all together?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

SpartanIV posted:

I'm going to look into clearwire. How is latency? One of my uses would be playing video games so things like satellite aren't viable for me.

Awful, and Clearwire cuts out a lot

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

As soon as I clicked the "X" and acknowledged the pop up of course the video had actually buffered to 100%... the interruption was a complete lie.

I was kind of hoping it would be about net neutrality but no.

Lamar Smith R-TX fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 26, 2014

Marman1209
Jun 14, 2005
NonSequar got me this account for no damned reason.

Finally got this fixed after weeks of terrible speeds.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
Anyone having problems with Comcast DNS servers lately?

goobernoodles fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 5, 2014

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Welp, GCI just updated, so now I get exactly 1 megabit for each dollar I spend every month. Too bad that with a 550GB/month cap.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Welp, GCI just updated, so now I get exactly 1 megabit for each dollar I spend every month. Too bad that with a 550GB/month cap.

GCI *shudder* I think I had a 15GB cap with them when I lived in Alaska. Hundreds of dollars of overage charges every month.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Sub Rosa posted:

GCI *shudder* I think I had a 15GB cap with them when I lived in Alaska. Hundreds of dollars of overage charges every month.

They're less of a gloriously awful 3rd world internet shithole these days. They want $200+ a month from you, and they don't give a poo poo if it includes TV, internet, or phones, as long as you're paying out the rear end each month.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:

I did this from my home PC while remoted in from work - 1080p RDP and still fast.

I also like the ping that comes from being within eyeshot of the central office.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

gently caress them posted:

I did this from my home PC while remoted in from work - 1080p RDP and still fast.

I also like the ping that comes from being within eyeshot of the central office.

That probably has less to do with it than you might think. By the time your packets hit fiber (which is neighborhood level, so well under a mile in a lot of cases) things happen pretty quickly. My favorite test server is about a hundred miles away and I'm usually between 10-12 ms.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Panty Saluter posted:

That probably has less to do with it than you might think. By the time your packets hit fiber (which is neighborhood level, so well under a mile in a lot of cases) things happen pretty quickly. My favorite test server is about a hundred miles away and I'm usually between 10-12 ms.

Yep. My last apartment was Ethernet to the wall, then fiber from the building. I had 2ms to the local test server (Vancouver, CA) 15ms to Oregon.

3peat
May 6, 2010

gently caress them posted:

I checked out your server to see what ping I'd get and it didn't go so well

Feeling adventurous, I also tried the city from my favorite TV show (took a while to find it on the map :D). Wasn't much better

Then I checked out a server closer to home; obviously it was better, but still far from what I get on servers inside my country

I don't know anything about internet infrastructure, is there any technology in the pipeline that will allow lower latencies over big distances, or are we stuck playing online games only on servers within our continents?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You cant go faster than the speed of light.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Thanks Ants posted:

You cant go faster than the speed of light.

may i interest u in quantum internet service :2bong:

I thought I read somewhere that coax can have a faster VOP than fiber in some cases but I'm not sure. Either way I'm hard pressed to complain about latency.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
IDGI

When I was paying for 15 I was getting 17, now I'm paying for 50 and getting 30

wat do

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Be thankful.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Just throwing this out there or looking for advice. I live in a semi-rural location that only has 1 company for DSL internet. They only offer a 1.5Mb/s for ~60$ a month and many inquiries into when something faster will be available only get me a "sign up for email notifications" reply. That's been the same answer for 5 years now.

For a period of time from about September 2012 to October 2013 I was getting an average of 4.5Mb/s speeds for some unknown reason with no changes to my bill. I didn't mind so I didn't look in to it. Oh man was it nice to finally be able to watch streaming stuff in HQ without buffering and download game updates that didn't take a week to complete and do modern day internet stuff!

Then it went back to 1.3Mb/s average since then. I've emailed and called multiple times to ask why I can't just upgrade to that speed since it was obviously possible and got the same "you only get 1.5, thanks!" reply. Would this be something that can be argued for that I'm not asking right or are there legitimate technical reasons why that was just a temporary strange thing that some kind of filter messed up with?

To add to the frustration, they have some issue with Google and throttle all Google services so I can't really use Maps, Youtube, etc without buffer time reminiscent of dial up days, which I guess matches the only related reply I got from them last year that talked about limitations of copper wire and reaching full 56Kb/s speeds...

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

All these huge numbers make me hella jealous for living in SoCal where 20/4 seems like a huge luxury. Hell, im paying $50 for ATT uverse which gets me 11/2 with a minimum ping of 70 on a good day...

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I've got 200/20 in Huntington Beach from TWC. It is expensive (I think it is ~$100 a month) but it owns pretty hard. Do you not have TWC in your area? I thought they were rolling out the really fast internet to pretty much everyone they service in OC/LA. They sent me a new free modem.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

beergod posted:

I've got 200/20 in Huntington Beach from TWC. It is expensive (I think it is ~$100 a month) but it owns pretty hard. Do you not have TWC in your area? I thought they were rolling out the really fast internet to pretty much everyone they service in OC/LA. They sent me a new free modem.

I live one zip code away from an area that offers pretty affordable Time Warner, but where I live the isp with the biggest numbers is Charter and lol, Charter. Other than that, uverse leads in this district. I could go and pay like an additional $30 for more down speed, but gently caress that noise.

E: By one zip code away, I mean like literally just two streets over. poo poo sucks.

EE: After actually going back a page and reading some horror stories, I have come to realize my issues are paltry compared to Texas man there.

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Nov 2, 2014

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
I'm paying 5 euros per month (~$6.26 according to Google) for a 100Mb/s line with a guaranteed minimum of 50Mb/s. I don't think I've ever seen it test higher than 60 tho. And the ISP has been having some weird problems where every few months for half a day or so, I'm unable to stream even 420p from Youtube. Every other website is fine tho, even Netflix. They claim it's some kind of upstream congestion or whatever but it's still irritating as hell when it happens.

A competitor is offering a 70–100 Mbit/s line for 35,90e/month and a 140–350 Mb/s line for 59,90e/month but I'm too cheap to go for them because that's much money (for me) for a relatively small increase in speed :(

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Loezi posted:

I'm paying 5 euros per month (~$6.26 according to Google) for a 100Mb/s line with a guaranteed minimum of 50Mb/s.

If it makes you feel any better a 3 x 1 cable connection in US (if you can even get it) is 15 USD/month plus equipment rental. So no, I really don't have any sympathy for your "plight" :v:

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Kraps posted:

IDGI

When I was paying for 15 I was getting 17, now I'm paying for 50 and getting 30

wat do

if it's not what you are paying for, just keep having them send techs out until they fix it. Took me about 10 truck rolls where my boost wasn't actually working before some guy in a tie came over to actually fix the problem.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Also I have FiOS but there's definitely some fuckery going on because when I'm uploading things to my S3 bucket it gets maybe 20 kb/sec, but if I go through my VPN in the same metro area I get my full 50 megabits down. Plus ping times go noticeably up during high traffic times because it's Brooklyn and everyone's just using their parents' HBO GO accounts.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

$56.99 for 15/1 through time warner. Welcome to the south. At least it's not the 1.5 dsl for the same price everyone out in the county may or may not be able to get, at the same price.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 3, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

beergod posted:

200/20 should be 54.99 through their current promotion, price locked for 2 years but no contract. That's for without modem rental.

I just got it in miracle mile and it is glorious.

Bye Uverse, thanks for raising your rates 2x in 2 months at one point with no explanation until I saw it on my bill.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

It's been stable for a while, not bad for 50/20 VDSL2 - I get what's promised, considering the distance. However, it's $80/mo. Still worth it, an upgrade to 100/100 fiber would be $150/mo plus $500 minimum for installation.

I'll be sure to run fiber when our house building project gets off the ground, though.

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

They're less of a gloriously awful 3rd world internet shithole these days. They want $200+ a month from you, and they don't give a poo poo if it includes TV, internet, or phones, as long as you're paying out the rear end each month.

What's the point of having that good of a speed if your capped? I couldn't get through a month on that :P

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Helpimscared posted:

What's the point of having that good of a speed if your capped? I couldn't get through a month on that :P

Cap is bumped to 900 GB this month, which is enough that I really don't feel the data crunch unless I go hog loving wild with the downloading and ultra-HD streaming. They're getting ready for 1 gbit cable plans with a 1.2-1.5 TB/month cap on them, which is kinda fair since everything has to go through like 4 undersea fiber lines to get to the rest of the world anyways.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cap is bumped to 900 GB this month, which is enough that I really don't feel the data crunch unless I go hog loving wild with the downloading and ultra-HD streaming. They're getting ready for 1 gbit cable plans with a 1.2-1.5 TB/month cap on them, which is kinda fair since everything has to go through like 4 undersea fiber lines to get to the rest of the world anyways.

Stop defending lovely practices that lead to 3rd world infrastructure.

These are my statistics from the last week. I'm considering upgrading to the next tier (150/150), but another $55/mo is more than I want to spend.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

KillHour posted:

Stop defending lovely practices that lead to 3rd world infrastructure.

These are my statistics from the last week. I'm considering upgrading to the next tier (150/150), but another $55/mo is more than I want to spend.

I'm not defending poo poo, the caps they have are just high enough that I don't feel the need to jump ship to their competitor. Alaska not having any pre-existing intertie capability to the rest of the world means any major capacity upgrade also requires getting undersea cables laid or the head end units replaced and the entire cable re-tuned for the higher number of colors. Both of which are expensive as gently caress.

If they got rid of caps, I would be delighted, and they would be my new favorite company ever. They still win some brownie points because by doing the massive speed upgrades this year, they pushed the local market from lovely DSL1/Unlimited as the only competitor to now offering 100/10/Unlimited. By this time next year, the market should be much better than it was at the beginning of this year.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Jimmy Carter posted:

if it's not what you are paying for, just keep having them send techs out until they fix it. Took me about 10 truck rolls where my boost wasn't actually working before some guy in a tie came over to actually fix the problem.

Will they work inside the house or outside, and why a guy in a tie?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Helpimscared posted:

Pretty big deal if you work from home. I'm stuck with 3M DSL and using remote desktop via VPN is incredibly frustrating. The total amount of data is pretty small, but it's very bursty.

Then again, most residential broadband contracts have a no-VPN clause buried deep in them that they choose not to enforce, so technically this reason shouldn't exist.

• Locked thread