Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont really want to read detailed analysis of the mental processes of domestic abusers in a league of legends thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

When Blitzcrank goes home after losing a match does he beat Miss Blitzcrank in frustration in his robot home? Something to think about next time I pick him

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
They lovingly fist each other, and they make sure not to get mad at each other when the discussion goes in a direction they explicitly steered it.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

What sort of tumblr bullshit is this. Using the example of domestic abuse to help describe a behavior is perfectly acceptable because its the same mental process that lets someone be a total oval office anywhere and say they "aren't that bad". This is an example that would be used in a psychology class to help explain and describe the application and range of a particular behavioral theory. No poo poo that being a dick in a video game is nowhere near the same level as beating your wife but no one is saying that you nerd.

Add this to the op please.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Aahahah :riot: is so good.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Ummmm... is this the place where we talk about the game called League of Legends?

I wanted to play tonight, but it seems the whole game is as hosed up as this thread.

Emery
Feb 8, 2012
Yeah, it seems that they've disabled all matchmaking modes. Maybe they're updating things so you don't get unranked folks against platsahahahahahahaha yeah right.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
The forums are down too. Isn't one of the thread regulars a Q/A guy? Poor dude.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Wait what was the reason for disabling it? They're saying Known Issue but?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Servaetes posted:

Wait what was the reason for disabling it? They're saying Known Issue but?

Dunno. The severs poo poo themselves about half-an-hour ago like they did the other day with everyone just disconnecting. My team managed to somehow get all 5 of us into the game.

I mean I guess the known problem is "Our Severs Are lovely."

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

How Rude posted:

Add this to the op please.

frajaq posted:

When Blitzcrank goes home after losing a match does he beat Miss Blitzcrank in frustration in his robot home? Something to think about next time I pick him

This seems far more important to throw in my next MS paint built border than anything else

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Oh I see its because I don't have platinum is that it? Stop oppressing me

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The forums are down too. Isn't one of the thread regulars a Q/A guy? Poor dude.
They're going slower, but they're up now? I don't know what's going on, no one said anything in skype about it.

e: Either the servers are having issues or it's a DDoS attack. Has PhantonLord pissed someone else off?

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

frajaq posted:

Oh I see its because I don't have platinum is that it? Stop oppressing me

My Diamond hand is strong go make me some dinner in the kitchen for me while I PM other forums users about how they're better than you are

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

League is being played by exactly no one right now, and it's still the most popular game on Twitch right now. That's hilarious.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Flameingblack posted:

They're going slower, but they're up now? I don't know what's going on, no one said anything in skype about it.

e: Either the servers are having issues or it's a DDoS attack. Has PhantonLord pissed someone else off?

No, see, this was all planned, but they pulled the trigger two weeks early. They were supposed to wait until after the bonus RP weekend and then take the servers down.

Heehee Hartlocks
Feb 9, 2012

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Shadow225 posted:

League is being played by exactly no one right now, and it's still the most popular game on Twitch right now. That's hilarious.

Only NA servers are down

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

What's a good tanky Gnar build? I just played my first game with him against a Volibear top - didn't do too badly, but I'm pretty sure I hosed my build up pretty good. Started Doran's Blade, then bought Vamp Scepter/Cutlass into Sunfire Cape, then finished BoRK and built a Randuin's afterwards (4 AD enemy team - Voli built Warmog with Triforce and Brutalizer). I just sorta went reflex Sunfire because I was thinking "tanky top", but he's a little ranged pecker more than half the time so I wasn't getting good use out of it.

Also, has anyone remarked on the planned Yordle rework since Gnar's come out? That was almost the first thing I thought of when his art was released - he's such a strange-looking yordle, with big black eyes and prominent long ears. I'm picturing Teemo done in that style and it's just terrifying.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Heehee Hartlocks posted:

Only NA servers are down

...there are other servers worth watching???

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Just came off the first game of my promo where I underestimated Gnar's damage and fed like a motherfucker.

Loss Prevented. :smug:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Wolery posted:

Just came off the first game of my promo where I underestimated Gnar's damage and fed like a motherfucker.

Loss Prevented. :smug:

I got the God Series to claw my way back to gold 3 where enemy teams Gnar died 16 times :stare:

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Servaetes posted:

My Diamond hand is strong go make me some dinner in the kitchen for me while I PM other forums users about how they're better than you are

I'm going to have to take this time to ask you to check your Rank Shame Privilege

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

...there are other servers worth watching???

If you want to know how to actually play the game, yeah.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Count Bleck posted:

I'm fairly certain Diamond is also the rank where people still:

Chase Singed
Chase Teemo
Chase Nidalee

well yeah. the temptation goes up because the person they're chasing is better at making them do it

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Dyrus's haircut is pretty surreal to look at, but what's even more surreal is the realization I've been watching that stream for multiple years and it has barely changed at all so much that a haircut throws me off.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Verviticus posted:

well yeah. the temptation goes up because the person they're chasing is better at making them do it

Just a little bit.. faster.. and I'll get this kill!

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

my pog boyfriend posted:

Dyrus's haircut is pretty surreal to look at, but what's even more surreal is the realization I've been watching that stream for multiple years and it has barely changed at all so much that a haircut throws me off.

The "wearing Gunnars every waking second and possibly to bed" is a far more bizarre aspect of his look.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Decided to try and actually play league and I am doing OK. I main support, usually Taric. I came to the realization that he just isn't that good, so I switched to Sona. This week have made it from Bronze 4 to being in a series for Bronze 2 right now. Can anyone give me some tips on Sona?

I usually start with spellthief's and build sightstone, chalice, lich bane, unholy grail and banshee's if I can. I usually just poke like a mofo so my adc can get some cs. And I miss my ult. A lot.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Switch Athene's for Mikael's, forget about Lich Bane, swap that out for any utility/tank item, Locket, Randuins, Frozen Heart, even Zhonya's or Ardent Censer, swap the Banshee's for one of those too unless you're getting caught often. It's not that Lich Bane is a bad item but if you're seriously building damage every single game you're missing out on a shitload of opportunities to actually shine as a support. Also, upgrade that Spellthief into FQC as soon as possible.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Jungle Gnar is really really really loving strong. He's going to get buffed and be hilariously broken for a month.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Brannock posted:

Jungle Gnar is really really really loving strong. He's going to get buffed and be hilariously broken for a month.

Can you elaborate a bit on why? Not the buffed=broken thing his numbers in big Gnar form are stupid loving high and they really should approach buffing his little form with a feather touch but based off his dismal stats and rage mechanic how was he a good jungler? I can figure he could farm pretty well in there but if he's not at a full rage bar going in for a gank he's not gonna be doing much. What happened when you played it/played against it/played with someone that jungled him?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Don't listen to people who say you should build utility on support!

Build full AP, destroy fools! :hellyeah:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Bholder posted:

The Post Read To You in Veigar's Voice.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Bholder posted:

meijais on supports is actually pretty good if you're aggressively winning lane. it's a nice low-cost way to keep on top of the damage game to preserve your kill lane's punch with support income.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

fnox posted:

Switch Athene's for Mikael's, forget about Lich Bane, swap that out for any utility/tank item, Locket, Randuins, Frozen Heart, even Zhonya's or Ardent Censer, swap the Banshee's for one of those too unless you're getting caught often. It's not that Lich Bane is a bad item but if you're seriously building damage every single game you're missing out on a shitload of opportunities to actually shine as a support. Also, upgrade that Spellthief into FQC as soon as possible.

At the very least do yourself a big favor as a support main and a) learn WHEN to buy Mikael's and b) learn when to USE Mikael's (or if you're me, remember to use Mikael's in a somewhat effective manner).

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Servaetes posted:

Can you elaborate a bit on why? Not the buffed=broken thing his numbers in big Gnar form are stupid loving high and they really should approach buffing his little form with a feather touch but based off his dismal stats and rage mechanic how was he a good jungler? I can figure he could farm pretty well in there but if he's not at a full rage bar going in for a gank he's not gonna be doing much. What happened when you played it/played against it/played with someone that jungled him?

I admit that post was a bit of a kneejerk reaction after losing to a jungle Gnar (and toplane Quinn for the second time out of two times I've seen Quinn toplane this week in ranked) but geez he is uncatchable in the jungle. Mini Gnar can bounce over walls, Mega Gnar knocks you around and stuns you. Both Gnars can kite the heck out of you with their Q spam which also slows.

This guy was exceptional at timing his rage and basically always ganked with a nearly-full rage bar then bounced off champions/minions and landed as Mega Gnar. I suspect to consistently manage that he was sacrificing some clear speed (and for a good chunk of the game I was way ahead of him on CS) but it didn't matter since he was able to get off so many ganks.

He went for Golem Spirit and full tank after that, and his sole offensive item was Triforce. Mobility boots.

Once in a while we'd catch him at about 40-50 rage and he'd just tank through it while building up rage, then hulk out and go full teamfight right as his team showed up, then GNAR! us towards his team or into a wall.

Every time I've seen Gnar played toplane he's just been outrageously inefficient and a competent opponent could easily predict his movements and when he wanted to aggress as Mega Gnar. It becomes kite city in top lane. Staying in the jungle, fog, bushes removes that limitation of predictability from Gnar.

Brannock fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 17, 2014

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

The Dregs posted:

I usually start with spellthief's and build sightstone, chalice, lich bane, unholy grail and banshee's if I can. I usually just poke like a mofo so my adc can get some cs. And I miss my ult. A lot.

Firstly, I know this is obvious but don't miss your ult. It's really strong if you can land it on multiple people in the middle of a fight.

Spellthief's start followed by sightstone is fine, but I'd drop the grail for Mikeals in most circumstances, being able to cleanse cc off your teammates is handy as a support. Lich Bane is a very expensive item for a support income and the only real call to bust it out is if you end up ridiculously fed and should capitalise on the advantage you've been given, upgrade your spellthief's to Frost Queen Claim with that cash instead.

You seem to build Sona mostly like a mid-laner which can be effective if you wind up fed but is otherwise limiting your ability to do support things. Other good items on Sona are Locket of The Iron Solari which grants team-wide MR and a shield but if you're up against a full AD team (uncommon but it happens) don't bother, Twin Shadows if you feel like you need to scout an area and Ardent Censer is better on Sona than on most champions but it's still kind of an awkward item and not something you prioritize for but keep it in mind as an option.

Other general support tip, start Yellow trinket and then swap to Red when you get your Sightstone and then when you find yourself with the cash, upgrade yer flippin trinket. Depending on enemy champions you may wish to upgrade your trinket sooner rather than later but an upgraded red comes off cooldown a lot faster so you can continually sweep and keep denying the enemy vision while you poo poo wards all over the map. Buy pink wards too, pink wards can provide vision for unreal lengths of time if they go unnoticed.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Buy pink wards too, pink wards can provide vision for unreal lengths of time if they go unnoticed.

At his level two out of every five pink wards you drop last an entire game, another two go for 10+ minutes, and the last one you get noticed dropping and it seems to be a 50/50 chance they take it down immediately or not.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

If you're up against Gnar toplane, Olaf shuts him down like completely. He has a nice spammable slow to shut down Mini's movespeed buff and force him to hop away from the minion wave, has true damage to cut through Mega's bonus resists, and can completely bypass the chain CC Gnar relies on to get kills with his own ultimate.

I've actually been playing a lot of Olaf and think the buffs he got a patch or two ago were a hell of a lot better than people have been giving him credit for. He's really loving dangerous at low HP because of how well he can sustain that level of health now and he's sticky as Skarner after just 1 second was shaved from his axe cooldown.

Still no gapclosers and all so you'd better be landing those axes if you want to actually fight, otherwise everyone and their mother can still kite and disengage him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Taric likely would get better mileage out of the Face of the Mountain Line or Talisman Lines. He's not going to be doing a lot of direct harass that gets you the extra gold from FQC, but he is melee so he can take advantage of FoM's passive, while Talisman line gives you a lot of free gold from just standing in lane (+3 and +4 if you take the gold mastery) and its eventual active is amazing.

• Locked thread