Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SiKboy posted:

I have to admit, i havent read much of his Daredevil. I have heard good things, but that was from someone who enjoyed his avengers run, so I didnt pay much attention. Its a character I'm not particularly fond of eing written by a writer I'm not a fan of, so I jst didnt read it.

It is criticly acclaimed and one of the best runs ever on the character. His Ultimate Spider-man is also amazing and has been since issue 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm really not trying to persuade anyone that Bendis is a hack or anything, I only mentioned that I dont like him because that might have coloured my perception of his moon knight run.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Starsnostars posted:

I quite liked the Bendis/Maleev run, the run to really avoid is Hurwitz's Vengeance of the Moon Knight.

Vengeance of Moon Knight finished with a huge thud but it has more going for it than rehashing a gimmick from Ultimate Spider-man but way worse.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
You can say you don't like Bendis's work, but calling him a hack is just incorrect*. A hack poops out work to get paid because they can. Bendis throws himself into his work so goddamn hard and he loves every second of it. Of course some of it is bad. Motherfucker writes a billion comics a year. Cut him some slack. It's amazing that so many he has written are so good. Woody Allen makes three poo poo movies for every great movie he has, because that's just how their brains work. They get every idea out there and see what sticks.

And that sonofabitch has been writing the SAME comic for FOURTEEN YEARS and it's STILL GOOD. You gotta give him props for that.

*Not that anyone in this thread did, but the word gets thrown around all too often.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hey, I'm the first to recommend Ultimate Spider-man to people, I just hate his terrible Moon Knight run.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Hey, I'm the first to recommend Ultimate Spider-man to people, I just hate his terrible Moon Knight run.

Yeah, sorry, I wasn't lashing out at you. I guess I was just jumping in before this conversation goes off the rails like EVERY discussion of his work.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bendis isn't a hack, he's just getting lazy with his scripts. I expect it will get worse with his attention focused on the Powers show.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Bendis's Moon Knight owns, y'all are retarded.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Literally The Worst posted:

Why hasn't Marvel figured out a print on demand system for their Essentials line? It's 300 pages of cheap newsprint it shouldn't be hard. The Moon Knight talk made me want to read to original stuff and Essential Moon Knight 1 is out of print.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

Why hasn't Marvel figured out a print on demand system for their Essentials line? It's 300 pages of cheap newsprint it shouldn't be hard. The Moon Knight talk made me want to read to original stuff and Essential Moon Knight 1 is out of print.

I believe there's a Moon Knight Epic Collection coming out which compiles a lot of the early stuff.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Ironically I would have caused less hassle if I had just said "Avoid the Bendis run on moon knight, its awful" instead of trying to allow that if you like his writing more than I do you might like his moon knight run. Lesson learned!

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Nah Maleev is on point and he could have done interesting stuff with Ultron if Age of Ultron wasn't the mess it was but I didn't need for Echo to be made Spector's girlfriend and killed off for him to have more agency.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bendis/Maleev Moon Knight was pretty decent but it's not even close to being in the same league as Moench/Sienkiewicz, Huston/Finch or Ellis/Shalvey/Bellaire. Or Bendis/Maleev Daredevil, for that matter.

It's much better than their extremely perfunctory Spider-Woman run, at any rate.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think you will find that you are the retarded one sir.

Waterhaul posted:

Nah Maleev is on point and he could have done interesting stuff with Ultron if Age of Ultron wasn't the mess it was but I didn't need for Echo to be made Spector's girlfriend and killed off for him to have more agency.

I still think the panels where the real Captain America has the same stubble that hallucination Marc Spector Cap had shows just how much Maleev cared about this project.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Bendis's run showed that cheap marketing tactics and a rather popular writer can only bring a mediocre book so far.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
So Dazzler is going through a phase?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

HitTheTargets posted:

So Dazzler is going through a phase?

You're thinking of Shadowcat.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

You're thinking of Shadowcat.

Dazzler went goth.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

Dazzler went goth.

Whoosh

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I thought my reflexes were too fast for that to happen.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's much better than their extremely perfunctory Spider-Woman run, at any rate.
i will loving fight you

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

i will loving fight you

I had no idea there was a person with strong feelings about that comic. I almost feel like I have to respect it.

I don't remember a single thing that happened in it. Just Spider-Woman leaping around and interior monologuing a lot.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

It was great, she was hunting Skrulls in Madripoor and the art totally owned

I do think they put a lot of love into it, they were just putting it out with the intention of turning it into one of those lovely gimmicky motion comics, then they pulled the plug because sales weren't great or something.

It was a good, if short-lived, series though. Like S.W.O.R.D., it was too good for this lovely world.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Sales weren't great but the excuse was that Bendis would only do it with Maleev and Maleev got burnt out for having to do the extra motion comic stuff as well as the regular book.

I liked it and thought it was a great (if maybe an issue or two long) opening arc that reshuffled Spider-Woman from "oh my life is destroyed" to "gently caress yeah I want to hunt aliens around the world".

It's a hell of a lot better anyway than the mess of Spider-Woman series with Hopeless/Land coming out at the end of the year.

Sturm
Oct 19, 2003

It's Xander or Sgt. Fury
When the Phoenix Force leaves Rachel Grey at the end of X-Men Kingbreaker, where does it go to?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Sturm posted:

When the Phoenix Force leaves Rachel Grey at the end of X-Men Kingbreaker, where does it go to?

Same place it always goes when she gets rid of it, straight back into her in time for her next appearance.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Sturm posted:

It recollected itself in preparation for AvX (this was back when Hope was to be Jean Grey reincarnated). Anybody who had a part of the Phoenix in them at the time lost it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

(this was back when Hope was to be Jean Grey reincarnated).

Wait, that was original editorial intent, you mean? When did that change?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
So what's going on with Booster Gold in the New 52? I remember that they had to jump through some hoops with his character in Flashpoint (since time messing up is kinda Booster's domain) - did they go "Booster forgot about the old timeline and Flashpoint because, um, he did" and ignore it?

Did they explain how he ended up hanging out with Jonah Hex? What happened to him after that? I rather like Booster Gold, and he's one of the chcracters who seems to have got pushed aside after Flashpoint. Has Renee Montoya shown up yet?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Apparently pre-New 52 Booster and Beetle are going to show up in a future Justice League 3000 issue.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

Apparently pre-New 52 Booster and Beetle are going to show up in a future Justice League 3000 issue.

Maybe they'll be the villains of the arc. The New 52 is darker then the previous canon as the previous canon was to the silver age, so Infinite Crisis 2.0?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

OldMemes posted:

So what's going on with Booster Gold in the New 52? I remember that they had to jump through some hoops with his character in Flashpoint (since time messing up is kinda Booster's domain) - did they go "Booster forgot about the old timeline and Flashpoint because, um, he did" and ignore it?

Did they explain how he ended up hanging out with Jonah Hex? What happened to him after that? I rather like Booster Gold, and he's one of the chcracters who seems to have got pushed aside after Flashpoint. Has Renee Montoya shown up yet?

A brief history of Booster Gold in the New 52

Booster's status is confusing. He was in Justice League International, one of the first-run N52 titles, when none of the writers had any goddamn idea what sort of continuity, if any, existed in the New 52. It got canceled, and their last issue on the last couple of pages had Booster standing around in an empty room after beating up OMAC. Then another Booster in another outfit warps in, sees Superman and Wonder Woman making out on a monitor and goes "poo poo I'm too late! OH NOOOO" then fades away like Marty McFly in Back to the Future. Then present day Booster does the same.

No one sees him again until All-Star Western where Jonah Hex finds him acting as the sheriff of an old west town. He's semi-amnesiac and can't remember how he got there. He knows he's from the future, but doesn't remember quite how his time-travel powers work. He also doesn't remember quite what his powers are which leads to a funny scene where a bunch of cowboys shoot him and Booster freaks out but then the bullets just bounce off his force field. Then to avoid dying after he and Hex are falling off a cliff (he doesn't remember he can fly) he just randomly jumps through time, leaving Hex stranded in 2013 because he accidentally let go of Booster during their joyride through the timestream. After an arc that dragged on way too long, Booster shows up with his memory apparently returned and apologizes to Hex for the whole mess and takes him back to the proper time period.

Booster hasn't been seen since, but well, there's at least been something implied that Booster knows more about the nature of the New 52 than he lets on...

Montoya showed up in a picture frame in the GCPD in Batwoman, I think? Aside from that I'm pretty sure she's never been mentioned.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Aug 17, 2014

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

A weird thing about New 52 Booster in relation to his pre-New 52 self: In his solo series, they introduced the idea early on that he's Rip Hunter's father with no mention of the mother. It was never really brought up, but it was a natural mystery. Like when Booster took on a female time traveler who was into him, you had to wonder if she was going to eventually end up being Rip's mother.

Then, right before Flashpoint happened, they did that Rip Hunter miniseries by Jurgens that ended with a reveal that that mini's Supernova was really an older Booster Gold in disguise. They showed us that the woman he was talking to all along was Rip's mother. We only got one panel of her that showed her from behind. Considering New 52 was about to happen, they didn't get around to explaining who she was.

Then in Justice League International, also written by Jurgens, Booster was the leader of the team and one of the members was obscure heroine Godiva. About half of her dialogue was based on how much she wanted Booster. She also looked exactly like the woman in the Rip Hunter miniseries. So even though she never showed up in the Booster solo series ever, it seems the answer to Rip Hunter's parentage was, "It was going to be Godiva, I guess. Go figure."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That sounds to me like a kind of desperate attempt to patch up whatever hole the Nu52 left in his plans.

God, the Nu52 Booster thing up there with Wally for most depressing result of Barry Allen's giant space fuckup

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

That sounds to me like a kind of desperate attempt to patch up whatever hole the Nu52 left in his plans.

God, the Nu52 Booster thing up there with Wally for most depressing result of Barry Allen's giant space fuckup

There's always going to be something special about how, after years of rehabilitating Silver Age hero Hal Jordan, Geoff Johns turned around and made Barry Allen the murderer of an entire multiverse.

bad_trotsky
May 23, 2012

Claytor posted:

There's always going to be something special about how, after years of rehabilitating Silver Age hero Hal Jordan, Geoff Johns turned around and made Barry Allen the murderer of an entire multiverse.

You know I just like a guy in that suit being really fast. But Wally was tons cooler, Barry is just so boring. Flash is one of my favorite DC guys and every thing just makes me sad.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Thanks, that was pretty interesting. So we'll probably find out more about what on Earth is up with new 52 Booster Gold in a few months?

Booster Gold is a great character - the idea of a time travelling goofball who is secretly in charge of keeping time and space in order is pretty fun. Hopefully they can bring him back properly soon - I guess the very nature of the character put them in a tough spot, considering how Flashpoint ended.

Have they explained what the threat was that the DC Universe needed to be remade to face was?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

OldMemes posted:

Booster Gold is a great character - the idea of a time travelling goofball who is secretly in charge of keeping time and space in order is pretty fun. Hopefully they can bring him back properly soon - I guess the very nature of the character put them in a tough spot, considering how Flashpoint ended.

Booster is also great because he's had a character arc, like Hawkeye. He started off as a genuine con-artist douchebag, and wound up being something so much better. Now he's just pretending to be a con-artist douchebag. :)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I think the time is right for a Booster Gold TV series, following the success of Arrow (and no doubt Flash as well). Now, even more than when he was created in 1987, our culture is obsessed with celebrity worship and following the everyday lives of famous people (who may just be famous for being famous) as aspirational stories. Plus, the last 15 years of TV have been very welcoming for antiheroes.

With Booster Gold, you get a classic antihero-turned-hero story: a washed-up, disgraced jock from the future travels back to our time seeking fame and fortune, becomes a celebrity, does some actual good (sometimes in spite of himself, and sometimes at the cost of his own financial gain), and finds redemption along the way. He's a narcissist who eventually puts others ahead of himself. He's a screw-up who becomes competent. He's shallow and short-sighted but grows to care about things that really matter. The season-long arc could be that the corporation that sponsors him turns out to be up to no good, and he becomes his own man, turning on the wealthy, amoral people who pulled his strings for too long.

Booster is a dynamic character, far more than most other superheroes. And his power set (flight, energy blasts, force fields) wouldn't require a gigantic budget to do on television, even on the CW. There were some rumors a few years ago about SyFy being interested in a Booster Gold show, but I haven't heard anything about it in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gavok posted:

Then in Justice League International, also written by Jurgens, Booster was the leader of the team and one of the members was obscure heroine Godiva. About half of her dialogue was based on how much she wanted Booster. She also looked exactly like the woman in the Rip Hunter miniseries. So even though she never showed up in the Booster solo series ever, it seems the answer to Rip Hunter's parentage was, "It was going to be Godiva, I guess. Go figure."

That's probably for the best as I remember that the leading Internet theory for Rip Hunter's mother up until this point was Goldstar, Booster's sister. Partially as she was the only female character in the series and partially as it would give Rip the crazy Fry style Delta-wave brain patterns.