Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

Rascyc posted:

Why does your action paint me in any light at all? I don't get this mentality. You can change your 'motivation' however you want but that doesn't change the actions that responded to it. It's like basic physics man!!!!1

Rarity feels scummy to me for the reasons I pointed out. She attempts to discredit a case using meta while plucking an arbitrary vote and throwing a scum read on it. If you want more ~words~, it feels LAMIST rather than actual scum hunting.

I don't think she in fact chose an arbitrary vote because seeing my actions in context, I would totally think I was scum in her shoes.

Therefore you picking up on that and voting her seems fishy. Especially in the mindset of scum who has full knowledge of who is / isn't scum. It's therefore sometimes difficult to pick up on scummy looking posting. That's why I think you aren't town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

QuoProQuid posted:

Looking at winvirus, my biggest issue with him is this post:

Up until this point, winvirus has been zig-zagging between jokeposts and serious contributions. His accusations seem like an attempt to move away from jokes, but the failure to explain himself means that I cannot take his post seriously. There is nothing obviously wrong with Sombrero's post, so winvirus' post reads like an attempt to paint suspicion on a player without actually doing the work of casing. It's an accusation made for the sake of making an accusation. There's no weight attached.

You call the case "crap" and accuse it of being nothing more than a lurker lynch. That implicitly casts suspicion on the person making the case.
This feels like an over-exaggerated read on what amounted to something like 4 posts in his history at the time of the reads in question.

What exactly did I accuse of being nothing more than a lurker lynch? The case that I called crap wasn't actually calling for a lurker lynch. That was half of my original point.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

kilran posted:

I don't think she in fact chose an arbitrary vote because seeing my actions in context, I would totally think I was scum in her shoes.

Therefore you picking up on that and voting her seems fishy. Especially in the mindset of scum who has full knowledge of who is / isn't scum. It's therefore sometimes difficult to pick up on scummy looking posting. That's why I think you aren't town.
Nobody is ever going to seriously say someone is scum based on voting Meinberg within the joke phase. That's fake play and everyone knows it. It's Meinberg goddamnit.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rascyc posted:

Nobody is ever going to seriously say someone is scum based on voting Meinberg within the joke phase. That's fake play and everyone knows it. It's Meinberg goddamnit.

kilran's vote was serious though.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Rarity posted:

kilran's vote was serious though.
Yeah I'm starting to feel you might have been right after his admission post and his last post about me knowing alignments to justify my reads. Something feels really wrong from him.

What about his admission post made you unvote?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rascyc posted:

Yeah I'm starting to feel you might have been right after his admission post and his last post about me knowing alignments to justify my reads. Something feels really wrong from him.

What about his admission post made you unvote?

Admitting he was mistaken about being the Meinberg vote was the only thing he could do, so it comes down to whether he was legit about not noticing those earlier votes. I've never seen scum try such a brazen defence of a vote, the normal reactions are to double down or get wishy-washy. So like I said, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for now and seeing what else he says.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

In catching up, I really don't like CE. It's been said by a few different people but he decided to shoot down one of the first cases of the game because "meta". Since then, two posts, one of which was saying that a doublevoter is around because of the mod's insistance that we unvote or else it wont count (unless doublevoter!), and then this

Crazyeyes posted:

I am now ok with leaving what was, when made, a jokevote on Rarity on Rarity as a serious vote.

I see more apathy than scumminess in Ras right now. I have no idea how CCKeane is "pleaing for his life", though. At most he is being obstinate with his Winvirus vote refusal (which doesn't matter anyway cause he is in no danger of being lynched).

"My jokevote is now serious" for what reason? The Rascyc/Rarity interaction doesn't really start in earnest until after you posted this, so what before that has you confident in your joke vote? Plus then Keane was definitely saying "Don't lynch me".

##vote Crazyeyes this is what I feel is right

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
My vote on Meinberg was 100% serious. His reaction was totes flailing and seemed completely unwarranted. Until I went back and read that Rarity was the first vote :P

Rascyc posted:

LOL

I put the FOS on you, you put the FOS on me... wow.

The mindset of people posting (and how their knowledge of the game) is 100% something you should consider when scum hunting.

You supporting my vote on Rarity makes no sense in context of reality. You flip-flopping from Rarity to myself based reads like this;

1. Kilran spots something scummy in Rarity, votes.

2. Rascyc adds a me too vote.

3. Rarity points out the flaw in Kilran's vote.

4. Kilran goes oops. Looks at the dodgy me too vote.

5. Rascyc decides Kilran feels really wrong.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yes I change my mind the more you post, shocker I know.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

kilran posted:

First you miss votes that are there, now you see votes that never were!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think he's referring to my Meinberg vote.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rascyc posted:

I think he's referring to my Meinberg vote.

Then why does it say it happened after he voted for me?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Oh you're right. Hm likewise I'm not even sure why he's saying I'm supporting his Rarity vote in particular since I am doing my own thing independent of him. It's like, my own vote dude!! (that I haven't even made yet)

Also I still don't see how his behavior puts me in a bad light like he said in his earlier post.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Still, I am finding your interaction with us a little off. It's like you're trying to play us against each other. Tell you what, let's open this up a little. Ras, what do you think of winvirus?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

kilran posted:

My vote on Meinberg was 100% serious. His reaction was totes flailing and seemed completely unwarranted. Until I went back and read that Rarity was the first vote :P

LOL

I put the FOS on you, you put the FOS on me... wow.

The mindset of people posting (and how their knowledge of the game) is 100% something you should consider when scum hunting.

You supporting my vote on Rarity makes no sense in context of reality. You flip-flopping from Rarity to myself based reads like this;

1. Kilran spots something scummy in Rarity, votes.

3. Rarity points out the flaw in Kilran's vote.

4. Kilran goes oops. Looks at the dodgy me too vote.

5. Rascyc decides Kilran feels really wrong.

What.
##unvote
##vote kilran

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
There's been a lot of words. CE is still the best vote.

Keane, what do you think about CE?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Crazyeyes posted:

Your slow, plodding posting is no fault of ours.

Also I find all this Meinberg chat appalling. He just isn't that interesting.

Outside of this, I don't really see anything that stands out to me with regards to crazyeyes, and this isn't that bad.

Also CE did the scumhunter breadcrumb, so they are confirmed town, obviously.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Rascyc posted:

It's Meinberg goddamnit.

No, no, you're doing it wrong.

It's god DAMNIT Meinberg.

More seriously, these timeline shenanigans and the distancing/flip-flopping from kilran are setting off some alarms in my head. It's not even a question of tone, there's just some inconsistencies in the logic. I don't care for it, not one bit.

##vote Kilran

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Keane, you literally just did exactly what I've just figured is a classic scum tell of mine when asked about a case: pick one random post and say that's all you see.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
##vote keane

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

merk posted:

Keane, you literally just did exactly what I've just figured is a classic scum tell of mine when asked about a case: pick one random post and say that's all you see.

Good thing I'm not you.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

My scum tell is winning as scum.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

chaoslord posted:

##vote Crazyeyes this is what I feel is right
win, I think this is sincere.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
I also think kilran's logic is consistent for him.

Going to look at Crazy Eyes.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

CCKeane posted:

Good thing I'm not you.

The issue is that the mind set behind the post is scummy. That's why I'm taking it out of my game. Meta is unimportant.

See, you didn't actually read CE. You opened his post history, skimmed it lightly, and picked out one random post for you to say that's all you see.

Your conclusion means nothing to the thread and it looks like you were trying. But, you weren't trying. You were faking effort.

That's the only scum tell that exists.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Someone go read my first day in X-Men. I literally just caught myself doing it there after I died. That game is ongoing, so I won't comment any further on it

I'd find it myself but am on a phone.

It's the only scum tell that exists: faking content.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I agree that Keane doesn't seem like he's trying. His votes in particular are totally non-effort.

##vote Keane

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

merk posted:

The issue is that the mind set behind the post is scummy. That's why I'm taking it out of my game. Meta is unimportant.

See, you didn't actually read CE. You opened his post history, skimmed it lightly, and picked out one random post for you to say that's all you see.

Your conclusion means nothing to the thread and it looks like you were trying. But, you weren't trying. You were faking effort.

Oh gently caress off, it's day one and there are ten posts by crazy eyes in the thread.

Sorry I'm not doing exhaustive loving analysis on posts such as:

There's nothing there because THERE'S NOTHING THERE.

And frankly I think you're doing this because you want to see if this WHACKY SCUMTELL IDEA you have works, SURPRISE IT DOESN'T.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

yuming posted:

I also think kilran's logic is consistent for him.
Explain?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Rarity posted:

Still, I am finding your interaction with us a little off. It's like you're trying to play us against each other. Tell you what, let's open this up a little. Ras, what do you think of winvirus?
I don't really believe in that type of manipulation when it comes to scum. That's waaaay too high effort.

I've cooled on Win in light of other players atm. His original post was meh, Somb cased it appropriately, Yuming backed it up to an extent in a typical Yuming manner. His response to the whole thing is about what I expected from a known joker.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

merk posted:

Town does this poo poo too unfortunately

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
ok I'm doing an update on my opinions **processing**

Crazyeyes: I thought his initial posts were a little awkward, but didn't think he stood out for that alone.

Crazyeyes posted:

This is adorable. It's like you have never played with Win before (I don't know if you actually have).
This post dismissing Somb's vote on wv I didn't like both because I disagreed with the opinion and I disliked the dismissive tone.

Cutting down content > making actual opinions is scummy.

I also find Crazyeyes' vote on Rarity (1) lackluster. I'd vote here, but prefer winvirus.

CCKeane: I don't see what merk sees here. Keane is ~free~ with his opinions and that is what I see here. He was trying to contribute on CE and I don't think it's scummy.

kilran: I'm a bit biased because I haven't played with kilran in a while and don't want to see him lynched for being awkward D1, but I also have played with him more than most players here now, so!

This is the kind of logic he uses as scum or town, and this early in the game where I don't see any ill intent behind his actions I don't parse it as scummy.

I like my read on winvirus best. He is joking but it's scummy joking-- there's more nuance than people are looking at and I feel good about this vote.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Kilran is your last game really March 2013?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

merk posted:

Someone go read my first day in X-Men. I literally just caught myself doing it there after I died. That game is ongoing, so I won't comment any further on it

I'd find it myself but am on a phone.

It's the only scum tell that exists: faking content.

Town fake content all the time. There just isn't always something to be said.

Can someone please sum up the case on Winvirus? I look at his post history and don't see anything objectionable whatsoever.

I like Yuming for town. I find her posting pleasant and informative about what she is thinking.

I feel like Keane plays mafia wearing a troll-face mask.

Still don't like rarity. I am not sure entirely how, but I am leaving my vote for the time being.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
~on why winvirus' tone is scummy and not just lol Jokes~

Winvirus is out of sync with the landscape of the game. I read him as forcing content and there's an artificiality to his tone.

winvirus posted:

I think Little Mac is town, because I am town, and he is agreeing with me. Awfully scummy vote, Somb. Who are your short list of scum people?

winvirus posted:

Holy moley I step away for two days and y'all take a post really seriously

No, I do not actually think little mac is town "because he thinks I am town". That's a thousand percent stupid reasoning.

I had no read on somb's vote. I think his "case" on me is idiot hell crap and that he is actually possibly scum now because the dances and leaps of logic to paint me as Badguy are kind of extreme

I'm still a Big Fan of a Meinberg lynch. Or a Rarity or Somb lynch.
The first post I see as a real-but-scum opinion: win was legit trying to look like he was participating. His other early posts fit with this.

The second post is all internally conflicted about giving actual opinions and dismissing ones that have attracted negative attention for winvirus. I'm having a hard time explaining what I mean here, but he explains away his early behavior but still holds similar opinions (see: Somb). It doesn't follow a natural trajectory of thought and that makes me feel like winvirus is inventing the reads he's made.

I've italicized the parts that bother me the most tone-wise, also.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

yuming posted:

I've italicized the parts that bother me the most tone-wise, also.
Specifically, the combative stance he's taking. It just ~feels~ scummy to me.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

Rascyc posted:

Kilran is your last game really March 2013?

Yeah, I quit Mafia for a while because it was consuming a lot of time I don't have.

Also, forget everything I said about Rascyc, I thought it was him who did the 'me too' vote on Rarity, it wasn't

It was in fact CapitalistPig who made that vote. Sorry!

I wasn't expecting this game to go up on Friday nor people to be so active at the weekend. So I've been trying to keep up while at a photoshoot today and at a BBQ yesterday. Clearly, I have failed to do that :P

But my logic is sound, even if don't quite get the details right...

##unvote

##vote CapitalistPig

Love you too, Yuming my dear!

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Thanks for that post yuming, that makes sense as to why winvirus would get attention.

I don't think winvirus's combative stance is scummy, I think that's more winvirus adopts combative stances because he likes yelling at people.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

How are you (and the two others dead set on lynchjng me) blatantly ignoring the 100% serious vote and poo poo I made on Meinberg and my actual opinions in favor of a clear joke. You can tell it's a joke, because holy poo poo, do you really think I'm defending little mac as town on the basis that he thinks I'm town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

Pointed at yuming. I've been phone posting past two days

• Locked thread