Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In FF12 Cid is the crazy mechanic guy. Al-Cid is actually an anglicization of the arabic Al-Syed or The Lord, and since he's sort of supposed to be Spanish/Moorish during Islamic times it kind of fits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
VII Cid is best Cid because dragoon astronaut. VII Cid is worst Cid because of spousal abuse.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Kulkasha posted:

VII Cid is best Cid because dragoon astronaut. VII Cid is worst Cid because of spousal abuse.

She's not her spouse, she's just some crazy co-worker who won't get out of his house.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Flytrap posted:

She's not her spouse, she's just some crazy co-worker who won't get out of his house.

Yeah because THAT distinction makes it ok.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Fister Roboto posted:

He nuked his people's home because...?

???

Because look, the loudspeaker guy really was annoying, huh?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

maou shoujo posted:

Because look, the loudspeaker guy really was annoying, huh?

Finally, an answer I can get behind.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

TARDISman posted:

Yeah because THAT distinction makes it ok.

Shut up! Sit your rear end down in that chair and drink your goddamn TEA!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Can we all agree the worst character in Final Fantasy is the kid at the Final Fantasy VI Auction House. Nothing is more annoying then trying to get the two espers only for the talking chocobo or the other crap appear and waste time for the 'hilarious' scene with the kid's dad buying it.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Strange question - is there a reason why the party is limited to 3-4 from VII on? Why not 5 or 6, like classic RPGs?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Kulkasha posted:

Strange question - is there a reason why the party is limited to 3-4 from VII on? Why not 5 or 6, like classic RPGs?

I'm going to guess because 6 and below were on SNES and 7+ are on consoles?

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

Yeah, I can understand the party limit being due to limited screen real estate for 6 and back, but why not more characters for the later games?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

More than 4 people in the party is generally an old-school WRPG convention and even then it wasn't a given you'd have that many. Wizardry, D&D, and Might and Magic I recall all had 6-man parties. Though M&M reduced the party size as time went on. Even WRPGs tend not to be about large parties these days, though.

Old-school FF tended to be a 4-person affair except for FF4, which is as far as I know the only FF where you ever had more than 4 people in the active party at any time.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Old-school FF tended to be a 4-person affair except for FF4, which is as far as I know the only FF where you ever had more than 4 people in the active party at any time.

The mobile-only Final Fantasy Dimensions has 5-person parties.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I honestly had no idea.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
And I'm guessing the small 3-man parties are because each character has to be packed full of polygons to look pretty, and if you had 4 characters there wouldn't be enough processing power to make them all look nice enough.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hey, I can think of JRPGs that had more than 4 people in a battle party. Like, uh.

Atelier Escha & Logy? Sort of?

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
FF9 had pretty models and 4 party members at the same time. To be honest though, from a gameplay perspective I find the more recent standard of 3-person parties to be more fun.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Endorph posted:

Hey, I can think of JRPGs that had more than 4 people in a battle party. Like, uh.

All the Suikoden games have six party members except IV, but that was the black sheep of the series.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

And I'm guessing the small 3-man parties are because each character has to be packed full of polygons to look pretty, and if you had 4 characters there wouldn't be enough processing power to make them all look nice enough.

Star Ocean The Last Hope had a 4-character party.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

If you could E&L then you should count FFX.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

If you could E&L then you should count FFX.
Listen, I don't remember Wakka going 'NO CHOICE, I GUESS' as he spun into combat over and over. Reyfer's always a party member, in our hearts.

Nah though, I was mostly counting E&L because even the backrow characters are participants in the battle, what with Support Attack/Defend, while in FFX they just sorta hang out until you switch.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Rirse posted:

Can we all agree the worst character in Final Fantasy is the kid at the Final Fantasy VI Auction House. Nothing is more annoying then trying to get the two espers only for the talking chocobo or the other crap appear and waste time for the 'hilarious' scene with the kid's dad buying it.

I was about to agree with you but then I thought that there were probably a ton of suckers out there that actually grinded a billion gil or whatever just to find out it's a scripted event anyway. Those people make the kid worth it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They went with three-person parties in Chrono Trigger (the missing link between FF6 and FF7) because of the relatively huge amount of memory needed for animated monsters. Realizing from that experience that a party of 3 could work with the way they designed encounters if the characters aren't overly specialized, they stuck with that in 7 and 8, which also had a lot of detailed animations. In 9 they increased the party size to 4 but the battles had noticeable loading times as they swapped animations in and out.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The extra character in FF9 was definitely not worth the 30 second start-up to every single battle.

I mean it was so hosed up they probably told the composer to make the intro battle theme extra long because they knew how hosed they were.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Bravely Default brought back 4-man battles with animations with a more limited amount of detail, granted, and felt like a natural evolution from FF5. With decent difficulty scales and more defined party roles, 5 can work, which is why FF4 managed to pull it off.

With player-defined roles like 5-8 and 10+ have, the designers have to really hope (and help) the players understand the gameplay systems and figure out how to min-max, which is why late game in 5 and BD feel like you're breaking the game if you did figure it out. 3-man battles are easier to design and for players to wrap their minds around. I really don't mind them personally as long as there aren't 20+ party members, none of whom level up unless active.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 18, 2014

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mr. Maltose posted:

If I recall correctly in Tactics Advance 2 he tore poo poo up too.
He literally had an attack that scaled in power with the number of ladies you brought into battle with him :allears:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Kulkasha posted:

I've heard that in the original Japanese version he comes off as less of a dick, and it's the translation that made him seem so awful. Anyone know if there's any truth to that?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

I've heard that in the original Japanese version he comes off as less of a dick, and it's the translation that made him seem so awful. Anyone know if there's any truth to that?

The translation makes him come across as a bit more of a dick, yeah. They chose some really harsh language when he's more curmudgeonly. I think it's a side effect of them using (censored) curse words which come across a lot harsher than they probably intended. He's a dick but not screaming obscenities.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 18, 2014

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Tae posted:

The extra character in FF9 was definitely not worth the 30 second start-up to every single battle.

I mean it was so hosed up they probably told the composer to make the intro battle theme extra long because they knew how hosed they were.

I actually prefer FF games with four or more characters in battle. I think it adds a hectic element to combat that is kind of missing when there's only three.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The translation makes him come across as a bit more of a dick, yeah. They chose some really harsh language when he's more curmudgeonly. I think it's a side effect of them using (censored) curse words which come across a lot harsher than they probably intended. He's a dick but not screaming obscenities.

Does Barret swear as much in the original?

Also I could have sworn i asked this before but how is Fujin's SCREAMING TALKING written in Japanese?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Also I could have sworn i asked this before but how is Fujin's SCREAMING TALKING written in Japanese?

e: Google tells me that, actually, she only spoke in singular Kanji.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Barret is not Mr. T or anything in the original.He's just the "hard-looking hard-talking guy who secretly is a giant softy" archetype.

Fuujin talks entirely in kanji characters in FFVIII, IIRC.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Entirely in kanji, no kana. So it doesn't really make grammatically correct sentences, is a bitch to translate, and comes across as different/weird even in Japanese, so they just went with ALL CAPS robot mode to bring it across.

I'm not entirely certain how the little pep talk speech she gives to Seifer at one point is handled in Japanese, though.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I'm gonna smash my head against this Hecatoncheir boss fight for a while I guess in FF13. I have a feeling I need to grind to beat this loving thing.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Rei_ posted:

I'm gonna smash my head against this Hecatoncheir boss fight for a while I guess in FF13. I have a feeling I need to grind to beat this loving thing.

Hecatoncheir is kind of a bitch, but it's not as bad as it looks. The biggest thing you need to do is separate Vanille and Fang, otherwise it's just going to rain down AoE poo poo and murder both of you. Slash and Burn is really good for this, because Fang will run up to smack him a bit, then you can swap to SEN/RAV and Fang will be far away from Vanille when she gets his attention. Hang in there, Hec's the last eidolon. :)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Rei_ posted:

DON'T YOU JUST LOVE HOW THE REST OF THE PARTY HAPPENS TO gently caress OFF SOMEWHERE DURING THAT FIGHT!? BEST GAME.

And I heard some of y'all talk poo poo about Chaos Rings? Don't do that, those games rule. They're made by the dudes who made Wild Arms and are genuinely fun to play. They have fantastic music, a great artstyle (though III has a different dude and became more anime, which I'll be honest doesn't bode well.) and has a pretty fun battle system. The plot also has themes of self-sacrifice for the betterment of the world and the games follow through on this point. The plot twists are fantastic, the optional content is great and the first game pulls Nier-esque twists with the ending (though none of them erase your file).

I like CR I and Omega, but CRII is a genuine improvement on almost every level and I have high hopes for the series.

Sigma is a piece of poo poo cash grab though. gently caress Sigma.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
All the summon boss fights are super simple puzzles that are about swapping paradigms just right and even tell you how to loving beat them with their Libra info.

gently caress, for Hecatoncheir they force you into a specific party with exactly the paradigms you need all ready set up. If you're having issue with them you just need learn what all the classes actually do in the combat system. Those fights are just basically challenge gates to make sure you're capable of doing what they've tried to teach you with previous enemy/encounter designs.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

So I should actually be excited about the Vita re-release of Chaos Rings? I have an iphone but for some reason never got around to buying any of them. I think after playing FFT in its entirety on iOS I decided to stop playing really long rpgs on a phone

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Lessail posted:

I liked that even though Zidane didn't bring Kuja back with him, he was still there for Kuja's final moments. I also liked the neat little character scenes like where Eiko calls Cid father. Basically it was a nice ending.

FF9 ending drives me nuts in a way, mainly because the timeline seemes to have warped: The rat prince is still a kid, Eiko is still a kid, but Vivi has somehow managed to have 7 loving kids. He's like 9, how much time has passed? Who did he gently caress? Did the black mages even have genders, aren't they like golems? I know what they went after but it would have been much more satisfying having them taking care about Zidanes' tribe and the forest and each other before passing away and the Zidane tribe taking their place and having a statue for the black mages or something. It's a lot more sad, but Vivi becoming a father all of a sudden is very very jarring.

Otherwise I like the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ManOfTheYear posted:

FF9 ending drives me nuts in a way, mainly because the timeline seemes to have warped: The rat prince is still a kid, Eiko is still a kid, but Vivi has somehow managed to have 7 loving kids. He's like 9, how much time has passed? Who did he gently caress? Did the black mages even have genders, aren't they like golems? I know what they went after but it would have been much more satisfying having them taking care about Zidanes' tribe and the forest and each other before passing away and the Zidane tribe taking their place and having a statue for the black mages or something. It's a lot more sad, but Vivi becoming a father all of a sudden is very very jarring.

Otherwise I like the ending.

Even though Vivi's supposed to "look nine" he's probably only like two or three years old. I just always assumed Kuja designed his prototype to asexually reproduce so he wouldn't have to make another one before working out the kinks on the mass-produced models.