Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

then there's just AAC, H.264, that other MPEG4 profile nobody uses anymore since H.264 exists, VC-1, WMA, and whatever is coming next like H.265

aac/wma dont matter imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

aac/wma dont matter imo

AAC matters if you want to watch a H.264 video

that reminds me, add AC-3 to the list

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

lmao if your videos arent each a directory of jpegs

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

debian has debootstrap which owns a whole heck of a lot imo

all distros should have a one-line "infect this partition with a linux" command

for fedora/centos use febootstrap

it is a clone of debootstrap written in ocaml or something equally weird

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Symbolic Butt posted:

wait how do you do stuff in your servers then

prefect posted:

the answer is ansible/chef/puppet/something like that

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

IPvSH6T posted:

yeah just let me use puppet to run tcpdump debugs im sure that will work great

if your emergencies are such common situations you worry about which interactive shells are installed on a server, you have bigger problems than the tcpdump

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah lemme just pretend my personal server is Google's network of datacenters because I am that much of an epic sperg

also death to software patents

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if your emergencies are such common situations you worry about which interactive shells are installed on a server, you have bigger problems than the tcpdump

you are soooooooo dduuuuuuuummmmmmmbbbbbbb

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Mr Dog posted:

yeah lemme just pretend my personal server is Google's network of datacenters because I am that much of an epic sperg

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

you're right if you only have one server then cfg management is only useful and not truly essential

the google-scale problems won't hit you until you have two servers

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

you are soooooooo dduuuuuuuummmmmmmbbbbbbb

you are sooo iiiincapable ooffffff pooooosting aaaaaanything meaningful

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

dsyp!!!

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

saying you can deploy anything more complex than a database and webserver with no maintenance is not meaningful. you dont know poo poo ur loving dumb as hell stop posting

pram
Jun 10, 2001
dont pay anyone to manage ur JD Edwards or SAP installation lol, just hire notorious bsd he'll throw it up on amazon and puppet it in a 'jiff

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

:ironicat:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

pram posted:

saying you can deploy anything more complex than a database and webserver with no maintenance is not meaningful. you dont know poo poo ur loving dumb as hell stop posting

ya lol even on paas u need people doing maintenance

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

dont pay anyone to manage ur JD Edwards or SAP installation lol, just hire notorious bsd he'll throw it up on amazon and puppet it in a 'jiff

lol at doing a new deployment of sap or jde in-house in 2014

sap and oracle will both happily relieve you of that burden

pram
Jun 10, 2001
please relieve yourself from the burden of life

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
humans touching servers is bad and you should avoid permitting it whenever/wherever possible. this means having cfg management, remote execution frameworks, and automated deployment.

i agree that you are probably not gonna put sap in your self-service catalog on vcac, but holy poo poo don't let idiot CJs go stand everything up by hand just because it's hard to automate

pram
Jun 10, 2001
hey bro most application deployments arent disposable autoscale instances on amazon and they wont be for a long time. if you have networking equipment, servers, hypervisors, operating systems, you still need a monkey to log in for reactive maintenance so stfu

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

if you have networking equipment, servers, hypervisors, operating systems, you still need a monkey to log in for reactive maintenance so stfu

i don't doubt it. but monkeys break things.

the fewer and simpler monkey interventions you have, the more robust your infrastructure is.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
twenty years out, systems administration is a job that pays $9/hour just like fixing laptops

it will never go away, but it will be systematically de-skilled and removed from as many procedures as possible

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
wish you'd systematically remove your posting from as many threads as possible

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

twenty years out, systems administration is a job that pays $9/hour just like fixing laptops

it will never go away, but it will be systematically de-skilled and removed from as many procedures as possible

what's the difference between sysadmins and any other it job

also who fixes the master servers, keeps ~the cloud~ from falling over etc.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i don't doubt it. but monkeys break things.

the fewer and simpler monkey interventions you have, the more robust your infrastructure is.

im gonna be every angry punctuation item itp (in this post)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Forums Terrorist posted:

what's the difference between sysadmins and any other it job

non-IT people ask "what's the difference between software developers and any other IT job"

sysadmins are the guys who usually configure infrastructure by hand. currently they are the ones expected to troubleshoot problems, potentially in-depth.

that part of the job is going to fall away

Forums Terrorist posted:

also who fixes the master servers, keeps ~the cloud~ from falling over etc.

fewer, more highly-skilled professionals. lots fewer. you already see job postings for "devops" and "cloud architects" and poo poo, and those are the people building/maintaining modern infrastructure.

(them, plus an army of poorly paid workers who actually touch the equipment)

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 17, 2014

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i googled "systems administrator job description" and wikipedia had this very helpful image

this smirking bastard will either specialize in new skills, or end up being paid $9 an hour to continue futz about in datacenters (with most of his decision-making power removed)

judging by the sorry state of his cabling, the monkey career path might be the natural one

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

non-IT people ask "what's the difference between software developers and any other IT job"

you should think about what happened in hardware

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Forums Terrorist posted:

you should think about what happened in hardware

what happened in hardware?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

is mir cancelled yet

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Progressive JPEG posted:

is mir cancelled yet

Nope, and it will likely never be. Most of the main developers are trying to convince corporate to just use Wayland instead, to no success.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Progressive JPEG posted:

is mir cancelled yet

it fell out of the sky a decade ago

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Nope, and it will likely never be. Most of the main developers are trying to convince corporate to just use Wayland instead, to no success.

lmao

So why exactly is corporate pushing Mir again?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Saving face probably

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Malcolm XML posted:

lmao

So why exactly is corporate pushing Mir again?

It's how they make money. "Whoa, isn't this cool? Want this on your phone? It's GPLv3, so you can't do it without violating the TiVo-ization clause, but we own the copyright so we might be able to make a special exception... *cha-ching sound effect*"

It turns out that after you do that once, vendors catch on, and the answer to "Want this on your phone?" is "No."

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
I thought ubuntu phone was dead after that kickstarter or whatever it was, where everyone responded "we don't want that, wtf"

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Flex funding is a magical thing.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pram posted:

hey bro most application deployments arent disposable autoscale instances on amazon and they wont be for a long time.

yeah that's a problem with the application, not my butt

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
A phone that plugs into a docking station to become a desktop is actually pretty ownage, I just don't want Ubuntu to be the ones doing it

(I mean it's better than msft doing it but still)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

A phone that plugs into a docking station to become a desktop is actually pretty ownage, I just don't want Ubuntu to be the ones doing it

:)

You're gonna like my new job then.