Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

The plot stuff of GTA4 was nowhere near as annoying as "chase this dude and kill him oh but 99% of the chase is scripted and he's invincible"

I wouldn't even mind this as long as they made it clear which missions were "chase this guy until you reach the point where you can kill him" and which were just "chase and kill this guy." Like if the objective popup would say "Follow So-and-so" if they're scripted invincible until you hit the part where you can kill them vs. "Kill So-and-so" if they're not invincible and you just have to kill them, that'd be great. It's the part where you waste a ton of ammo because you can't tell if the guy's invincible or if you're just missing the driver that pisses me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

They need to do some tongue-in-cheek nods to the absurdity of GTA's setting too IMO. poo poo like a radio advertisement advertising a fundraiser for the 25,000 cops hospitalized for being beaten, shot, set aflame, and decapitated. That month.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Dandywalken posted:

They need to do some tongue-in-cheek nods to the absurdity of GTA's setting too IMO. poo poo like a radio advertisement advertising a fundraiser for the 25,000 cops hospitalized for being beaten, shot, set aflame, and decapitated. That month.

In GTA IV one of the comedians does a routine about the fact that you never see any children or pets in Liberty City. And they've done things like mention a ban on bicylces to explain why Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories have vehicles and gameplay features that weren't in the original games.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Thoughtless posted:

Terraria has some bizarre design choices. After you beat the boss in hell, you go into hardmode. This creates two "invasive" biomes, which spread aggressively and will destroy all the natural ones, depriving you of a lot of resources you need.

How do you combat this? You dig a three-block tunnel straight down to hell. Two around every chunk of land you want to protect. This is incredibly tedious, even in a game mostly about mining. But that's not enough! You also get mobs that spit the corruption over your tunnels so you need to build walls too. Still not enough? As you progress in the game it'll randomly spawn hidden blocks of the invasive biomes, probably inside your painstakingly quarantined "good zones", and you'll have to find and isolate those too which takes insane amounts of effort.

It feels less like I'm playing and more like I'm working now, except I'm not getting paid. So that was how far I got.

VVVVV

Somehow I never realized this, probably because I'm dumb.

Monsters cannot spread corruption anymore. Also, there used to be an enemy that could break your blocks. This has also been stopped.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been playing Rogue Legacy and it's kind of disappointing that at least 3 of the bosses are all almost exactly the same. I've beat the castle and the forest bosses and have gotten to the Maya one and they're all just big round floating guys.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I wouldn't even mind this as long as they made it clear which missions were "chase this guy until you reach the point where you can kill him" and which were just "chase and kill this guy." Like if the objective popup would say "Follow So-and-so" if they're scripted invincible until you hit the part where you can kill them vs. "Kill So-and-so" if they're not invincible and you just have to kill them, that'd be great. It's the part where you waste a ton of ammo because you can't tell if the guy's invincible or if you're just missing the driver that pisses me off.

This is one of the worst things in V. Two out of three chases were follow missions until the target crashed into something and fifteen minutes into the third one I realized that the game wanted me to actually kill the guy.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

muscles like this? posted:

I've been playing Rogue Legacy and it's kind of disappointing that at least 3 of the bosses are all almost exactly the same. I've beat the castle and the forest bosses and have gotten to the Maya one and they're all just big round floating guys.

I misread this as Rogue Galaxy and was really confused as to why the post was so short.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

This is one of the worst things in V. Two out of three chases were follow missions until the target crashed into something and fifteen minutes into the third one I realized that the game wanted me to actually kill the guy.

There's not really that many chases in V, though. And even though they're never clear about which is which, I'd argue that the game plays so much more smoothly than IV that sometimes you just don't notice because the chase goes off without a hitch anyway.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Playing Crypt of the NecroDancer ruins me for a good 10 minutes or so afterwards as I keep acting to the non-existent beat. E v e n a s I t y p e t h i s p o s t .

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I found the stealth in The Last of Us kind of a pain. It worked well up until the point you made a mistake. If you didn't kill an enemy with the pre-animated kill then it was almost impossible to kill him silently. Even if the second an enemy spotted Joel you buried an axe in his head, all the other enemies nearby knew you were there regardless of LoS

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

EmmyOk posted:

I found the stealth in The Last of Us kind of a pain. It worked well up until the point you made a mistake. If you didn't kill an enemy with the pre-animated kill then it was almost impossible to kill him silently. Even if the second an enemy spotted Joel you buried an axe in his head, all the other enemies nearby knew you were there regardless of LoS

I found the stealth to be pretty alright, especially after you get the bow. The worst thing though is one section where there's a tank in the street outside and you have to move from some buildings to a barricade, then across the street to some more buildings to escape. No matter how perfect your stealth has been up to that point, the tank knows where you are and sends people out to find you. They should have no idea you're even there, but I guess there was no contingency plan for a player being good enough to pull that off.

Games with a stealth element should have plans for rewarding really good stealth by changing sections of the game, even if in slight ways.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
That's why I loved the chaos system in dishonoured. Be a sneaky bugger and the enemy won't even know you've been there. Go on a murder spree and the next levels give you more enemies to deal with.

The gameplay is fun enough that it doesn't feel like it's punishing you either.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mokinokaro posted:

That's why I loved the chaos system in dishonoured. Be a sneaky bugger and the enemy won't even know you've been there. Go on a murder spree and the next levels give you more enemies to deal with.

The gameplay is fun enough that it doesn't feel like it's punishing you either.

On the contrary, actually. I feel like the game actually rewards you no matter which way you go, by aligning the gme more with how you've played it thus far. You want a murderfest? You get a murderfest.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Cleretic posted:

On the contrary, actually. I feel like the game actually rewards you no matter which way you go, by aligning the gme more with how you've played it thus far. You want a murderfest? You get a murderfest.

This is the kind of thing I want more games to adopt! If you want to just walk around and stab/shoot/magic missile people, the game gives you plenty of people to do so and sets up challenging setpieces to accommodate that, but if you want to ghost around and are very careful about hiding bodies in air ducts and toilets, you should be given the appropriate challenges. I know the reason this isn't more common is because it's essentially asking developers to make two games in one, but it's much appreciated when it is there.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

RareAcumen posted:

Monsters cannot spread corruption anymore. Also, there used to be an enemy that could break your blocks. This has also been stopped.

It's pretty much required to get your house off ground level in hardmode Terraria, unless you like Wraith's coming through the walls and killing everyone.

My first hardmode Blood Moon was a total massacre.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

cobalt impurity posted:

I found the stealth to be pretty alright, especially after you get the bow. The worst thing though is one section where there's a tank in the street outside and you have to move from some buildings to a barricade, then across the street to some more buildings to escape. No matter how perfect your stealth has been up to that point, the tank knows where you are and sends people out to find you. They should have no idea you're even there, but I guess there was no contingency plan for a player being good enough to pull that off.

I agree, the tank section made no sense in that regard, at least it was very short. The hotel in the city is where I found the stealth could be really obnoxious.

Mokinokaro posted:

I liked that as an idea, but it meant that you had alternate endings for the story which are always poo poo compared to one well-written ending. If you did kill everyone you got punished with a poo poo ending so it becomes less "what do I want to do?" and more "well poo poo better reload if I want the better ending"

Personally I prefer sneaking by without anyone noticing, but the game gave offered so many weapons/traps and other creative ways to kill people I felt I was missing out by heading for the good ending.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Metal Gear has the same problem. It gives you a bazillion neat guns, all intricately and lovingly modeled, and then smacks you on the knuckles for using them.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

EmmyOk posted:

I liked that as an idea, but it meant that you had alternate endings for the story which are always poo poo compared to one well-written ending. If you did kill everyone you got punished with a poo poo ending so it becomes less "what do I want to do?" and more "well poo poo better reload if I want the better ending"

Personally I prefer sneaking by without anyone noticing, but the game gave offered so many weapons/traps and other creative ways to kill people I felt I was missing out by heading for the good ending.
You can actually murder a hell of a lot of people in that game violently and it doesn't really affect the ending as long as you're not witnessed constantly. The only things that can really affect that are the end-mission assassinations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

cisco privilege posted:

You can actually murder a hell of a lot of people in that game violently and it doesn't really affect the ending as long as you're not witnessed constantly. The only things that can really affect that are the end-mission assassinations.

There was never really a good indicator of how many were ok though. Also one of them is a choice between killing or sending a woman off to be a sex slave, the latter being the 'good' choice.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

There was never really a good indicator of how many were ok though. Also one of them is a choice between killing or sending a woman off to be a sex slave, the latter being the 'good' choice.

It's not supposed to be a binary good or bad choice thing. Most of the nonlethal options are pretty hellish in and of themselves.

Corvo, little characterization that he gets, is portrayed as a ruthless man out for revenge and most of the game does reflect that no matter what you do.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I feel like this thread had this very conversation on Dishonored ten pages ago.

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

Judge Tesla posted:

It's pretty much required to get your house off ground level in hardmode Terraria, unless you like Wraith's coming through the walls and killing everyone.

My first hardmode Blood Moon was a total massacre.

As long as all your NPCs are above the first floor (~6 blocks) they should be fine.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I've started playing through Last Heroes: Trails in the Sky. It's got some pretty good parts to it so far, but there are a few things that bug me. For the side bracer quests, half the time it's not clear where to find the people you need to talk to in order to start/complete them. Some, like exterminating monsters, are relying on the monsters actually spawning and half the time it takes running back and forth over the area they're supposed to be in like six times before they finally spawn. Also, there are not enough rest points. I just went through six floors of monsters, can you please give me a rest point? No? Okay, then, gently caress you, game. Blegh.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

RyokoTK posted:

I feel like this thread had this very conversation on Dishonored ten pages ago.

Still better than controllers over m+kb chat.

Revengeance is great most of the time but even when I'm not targeting an enemy I'll do a homing attack to another enemy. Raiden kick the slider shooting missiles and not the hammer fatty who can't follow you in the air.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

EmmyOk posted:

I agree, the tank section made no sense in that regard, at least it was very short. The hotel in the city is where I found the stealth could be really obnoxious.

Reminds me of the tank in the mongolian village in Uncharted 2. That thing must have had x-ray vision, because it could see you throught 5 buildings, knew if you went over a cliff, etc. I swear to god at one point it climbed up a ladder to stalk you.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
I recently bought a PS2 and am making my way through all the well-regarded games I missed. The most recent one I got is Ratchet and Clank. While there is nothing really wrong with how it plays, I just can't get over how much of an rear end in a top hat every character in the game except Clank is. I usually don't mind playing reprehensible characters, but Ratchet seems to be an rear end in a top hat for the sake of being an rear end in a top hat, which I find really grating.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Pengu! posted:

I recently bought a PS2 and am making my way through all the well-regarded games I missed. The most recent one I got is Ratchet and Clank. While there is nothing really wrong with how it plays, I just can't get over how much of an rear end in a top hat every character in the game except Clank is. I usually don't mind playing reprehensible characters, but Ratchet seems to be an rear end in a top hat for the sake of being an rear end in a top hat, which I find really grating.

He improves a lot after the first one. Going Commando and Up Your Arsenal are excellent games.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

cobalt impurity posted:

This is the kind of thing I want more games to adopt! If you want to just walk around and stab/shoot/magic missile people, the game gives you plenty of people to do so and sets up challenging setpieces to accommodate that, but if you want to ghost around and are very careful about hiding bodies in air ducts and toilets, you should be given the appropriate challenges. I know the reason this isn't more common is because it's essentially asking developers to make two games in one, but it's much appreciated when it is there.

This brings to mind what kind of drags every Ubisoft open world game down. They're desperate to check off the "play your way" box by integrating stealth and combat systems, but they never fully commit to letting you play your way. They put all those mechanics in the game and they can't resist forcing you to use them, so eventually there's going to be a mission that forces you to openly slaughter a million dudes or sneak through a location undetected.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
The best parts in Castlevania 3 are the parts where you have to climb up a long rear end stair case while being dog-piled by winged skeletons as bone pillars are shooting off at the same time. Good times.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Sociopastry posted:

Some, like exterminating monsters, are relying on the monsters actually spawning and half the time it takes running back and forth over the area they're supposed to be in like six times before they finally spawn. Also, there are not enough rest points. I just went through six floors of monsters, can you please give me a rest point? No? Okay, then, gently caress you, game. Blegh.

I don't know where you are in the game, but I'm about halfway through the game and none of the exterminate sidequests required a random monster. They're stationary and generally kinda obvious, unless you're looking at a weird angle.

What does drag the game down is the slothlike pace of the combat. It takes so goddamn long to murder trash mobs, and they sometimes just run right for you instead of being cool and letting me walk around them. If this game had Earthbound's "You win!" mechanic, it would be like 10x as great, especially since said trash mobs give you like, 1 xp each. I also wouldn't say no to a way to change generally useless money to septium, either.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In X3: Albion Prelude, the lack of some hotkeys (funny in a game full of them), the inability to set up some hotkeys yourself and the inability to set where some commands are in the menu.

For example, I can use hotkeys to command my wingmen to attack my target or to protect me, and thats it. I have to go into the menus to tell them to dock somewhere or return home. And hell, if I want to command wings there are not hotkeys for them minus having to mod a game (but mods shouldn't excuse anything in a game).

For the inability to set where some commands are in menus, I mean if I want to command a ship to return home just off hotkeys I have to open the command menu (C), go into the navigation menu (1), then select "return home", which is key 8. Keys 1-8 are standby, idle, dock at my target, dock at..., fly to sector, follow me and follow... The first 2 are basically the same command, just one has them move around, so thats wasted. The "target" and "..." commands should just be merged and have the player be defaulted as the first selection so if I REALLY need to quickly make them follow me or dock at me its just one enter key away, instead of having to differentiate between 3 and 4. If they just merged idle and follow to 1, dock at to 2, follow to 3 and fly to sector that moves "return home" to 5 which is much more reachable then 8.

And likewise I really would prefer if there was some simple system for me to set up a hotkey that will open command>navigation>return home.

I just really want a one push key to tell my drat ships to return home ok?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't know where you are in the game, but I'm about halfway through the game and none of the exterminate sidequests required a random monster. They're stationary and generally kinda obvious, unless you're looking at a weird angle.

What does drag the game down is the slothlike pace of the combat. It takes so goddamn long to murder trash mobs, and they sometimes just run right for you instead of being cool and letting me walk around them. If this game had Earthbound's "You win!" mechanic, it would be like 10x as great, especially since said trash mobs give you like, 1 xp each. I also wouldn't say no to a way to change generally useless money to septium, either.

Maybe I'm not looking right, then. I'm in Bose, and it's the mission on the way Bose highway. I'm only finding trash mobs. And yeah, agreed on the slowness of combat. I like the strategy part of the system, but holy drat does it take a long time to kill poo poo

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pengu! posted:

I had the same problem with Dead Rising 2. The intro is one extended sequence of scantily-clad women verbally berating Chuck, it was practically fetishistic at times.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

SpookyLizard posted:

Metal Gear has the same problem. It gives you a bazillion neat guns, all intricately and lovingly modeled, and then smacks you on the knuckles for using them.

I didn't feel this way about Metal Gear at all. I frequently did multiple playthroughs of all the Solid games using different playstyles without much issue. In my opinion the series is actually really accommodating to how you'd like to play it.

I've beaten the game as a ghost that no nameless grunt ever laid eyes on, and I've beaten it as Rambo storming the enemy base like an 80's action movie hero. Both ways worked just fine, with the Rambo style being a bit harder due to infinitely respawning enemies when in alert mode, which really just encourages you to keep moving.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's fair to say that Metal Gear strongly favors the stealthy approach though, just because of the infinitely respawning enemies when you're in Alert.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Speaking of Trails in the Sky, I really, really hate that the enemies touching literally anyone except the person at the very front of the party gets them an automatic ambush on you. Like, if it's the civilians way the gently caress in the back of the line, sure, whatever. I might not be happy about that, but I can at least see how that might leave me scrambling for formation. But Joshua is right behind me looking straight at the enemy. Why the hell is he surprised that the enemy attacked?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

RyokoTK posted:

It's fair to say that Metal Gear strongly favors the stealthy approach though, just because of the infinitely respawning enemies when you're in Alert.

It depends on your playstyle and the difficulty level, but especially in the installations with first-person aiming it's up there with the Hitman games in terms of stealth games were guns-a-blazing is a viable approach.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I had the same problem with Dead Rising 2. The intro is one extended sequence of scantily-clad women verbally berating Chuck, it was practically fetishistic at times.

I was weirded out how they still did that if you won the competition in the opening.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It doesn't stop you from playing it that way, but it gets annoyed with you, gives you infinite enemies, and lets cool toys for not being sneaky. FC3 did this same bullshit, where you got like 4x the points for not being seen when clearing the outposts. it made it a fun challenge, but hey assholes, this game has like, a whole pile of neat guns. Stop giving me fun toys and then insisting I not use them in order to get a halfway useful amount of XP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Sociopastry posted:

Maybe I'm not looking right, then. I'm in Bose, and it's the mission on the way Bose highway. I'm only finding trash mobs. And yeah, agreed on the slowness of combat. I like the strategy part of the system, but holy drat does it take a long time to kill poo poo

I vaguely remember one in Bose (I think it's lobstery looking?) that was sort of hard to find if your camera was pointing North. It's super obvious if you're pointing South, though. That was the only one I can remember that was super hard.