Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Cenodoxus posted:

Helpful tip: When you work for a company of 10,000+ and you're not a C-level executive, you don't need to (read: shouldn't) send a goodbye email on your last day to DL_ALL_EMPLOYEES waxing poetic about what a great time you had and how much you learned, and giving everyone your personal phone number and Gmail address.

I've never met you, but all of a sudden I don't like you.

Why do plebes have access to that alias?

Lock that poo poo down son before you end up in a reply all storm that generates a half million replies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Dick Trauma posted:

Users continue to leave laptops in their cars in plain sight and then are shocked when they are stolen. loving idiots. I'm tempted to send today's lucky winner one of the old Vostro 1720s. Not dockable, weighs a ton. Enjoy your boat anchor!

You really hate your users, don't you.

ConfusedUs posted:

Lock that poo poo down son before you end up in a reply all storm that generates a half million replies.

In the dark days before Outlook was called Outlook, and was just called "Exchange Client", we crashed the entire email system for a couple days before someone figured out how to lock those down. This was after a few of them went out successfully. One even promoted revolting against our superior officers! Good times.

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 18, 2014

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Ynglaur posted:

You really hate your users, don't you.

I really don't, and have never been that sort of I.T. person.

But these people are using poor judgement that not only costs the company alot of money and me a lot of time they are then getting aggressive about their replacement machine. The last one prior to today had a Latitude 6420 before it was stolen from his car and I gave him a decent 6410 as the replacement. He was in my office Friday complaining that he was still using his "temporary" laptop and hadn't been saving files on it or taking it home because it was not his permanent replacement. When I told him his boss was slated to get a new laptop before him he threw his hands up in the air and walked away.

The person before that also had his laptop stolen from his car and switched to a local spare, and even though I got his permanent replacement shipped to him the same goddamn day he wouldn't switch to it for over a month, all the while bitching about being too busy to go through the migration process. When he finally let me move him to the replacement he then started complaining about having to use an "old" laptop and I was eventually ordered to buy him a new 12" 7420.

People have to earn my dislike, and more often than not they do.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
Healthcare goons: what just happened at CHS?

Looks like someone just had a HIPPA "oops".

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

I wonder how many of these are stolen, and how many are "stolen."

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I wonder how many of these are stolen, and how many are "stolen."

I'm naive, because I never even considered this.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

meanieface posted:

Healthcare goons: what just happened at CHS?

Looks like someone just had a HIPPA "oops".

CHS? As in Catholic Health Services?

My mom worked with them for ten years, and it was a clusterfuck of mismanagement from their tech side. Whatever it is, somebody please spill the beans :allears:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

death .cab for qt posted:

My mom worked with them for ten years, and it was a clusterfuck of mismanagement from their tech side. Whatever it is, somebody please spill the beans :allears:

My mother was a site manager at a CHS homeless shelter for about 5 years, do tell.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

death .cab for qt posted:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/18/us-community-health-cybersecurity-idUSKBN0GI16N20140818

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

ConfusedUs posted:

Oh no no no, stuff like that and the reply all button makes the best of humour. One place I worked at was one guy who requested a spam E-mail to be released, to which the tech support replied "Are you really sure you want to release [dubiously labelled penis enlargement product message]?

All of this happened over a national distribution group, where this moron thought it was a prime opportunity to put in a ticket; to which the drama/hilarity unfolds.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Super Slash posted:

Oh no no no, stuff like that and the reply all button makes the best of humour. One place I worked at was one guy who requested a spam E-mail to be released, to which the tech support replied "Are you really sure you want to release [dubiously labelled penis enlargement product message]?

All of this happened over a national distribution group, where this moron thought it was a prime opportunity to put in a ticket; to which the drama/hilarity unfolds.

I love those on a small scale, but when you have 10k people? poo poo like this happens:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_storm

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Cenodoxus posted:

Helpful tip: When you work for a company of 10,000+ and you're not a C-level executive, you don't need to (read: shouldn't) send a goodbye email on your last day to DL_ALL_EMPLOYEES waxing poetic about what a great time you had and how much you learned, and giving everyone your personal phone number and Gmail address.

I've never met you, but all of a sudden I don't like you.

At my company it is occasionally A Thing to create a Severity 1 ticket on your last day. A Sev 1 ticket pages the CEO of the company, the entire executive team, every manager and a few ops guys. Worldwide.

quote:

On 18 September 2013, a Cisco employee sent an email to a 'sep_training1' mailing list requesting that an online training be performed. The list contained 23,570 members. The resulting storm of 'unsubscribe', 'me-too' requests, sarcastic facepalm images and recipes for broccoli casserole resulted in (by the time the list was closed) over 4 million emails and generating over 375GB of network traffic. The following month on 23 October 2013 a nearly identical email storm occurred when an employee sent a message to a Cisco group containing 34,562 members. The thread was flooded with "remove me from the list", "me too", "please don't reply-all", and even a pizza recipe.

This is awesome.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 18, 2014

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Agrikk posted:

At my company it is occasionally A Thing to create a Severity 1 ticket on your last day. A Sev 1 ticket pages the CEO of the company, the entire executive team, every manager and a few ops guys. Worldwide.

This sounds like an amusing way to discourage RIFs.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
You need a recipe for pizza? :psyduck:

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
I imagine you would if you wanted to make one without using pre-made stuff. There are different sauce and crust recipes available.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
It's been almost 2 months of "There I fixed it... *DAYS GO BY* ...wait no it's still hosed." with a linux box running samba and winbind; anyone who had their AD account renamed due to name changes could no longer map the samba drive, with auth.log saying they were trying to log in with the old name. Funny, since the mapping is done entirely through GPO and should pass through with the credentials.

After a few reboots, unjoin/rejoining the domain, name changes, and oh so much testing, I thought I finally had it when I accidentally broke the server and had to redo the pam configs and specified some extremely small refresh intervals for the tdb backend. Not a peep from the complaniest user until this afternoon when she says it's still not working. More testing and setting samba log level to something more chatty showed the kerberos ticket was generated using the correct name but pam was passed the old name.

Google eventually pointed me in to the direction of the netsamlogon_cache.tdb database and its tendency to not refresh SID mappings. Poking at the db revealed the incorrect username linked to the user's SID, and one DB erase later resolved the issue on the test account, so nothing left to do but wait for the user to confirm it's working.

Pre-emptively celebrating fixing a problem by nuking a DB with a somewhat fruity witbier.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Pyroclastic posted:

The superintendent brought the tech department into a meeting.
They're bringing a consultant in because 'the school board and the staff have no confidence in our technology', which is basically news to all of us. Apart from some really annoying back-to-back outages that the network admins keep saying they're not responsible for (if a teacher making a switch loop affects the entire goddamn network, it's your goddamn fault), things have actually been going pretty well in our schools. And we passed a tech levy last November that'll finally let us get some much-needed infrastructure upgrades. So, the boss gets some RFPs to re-wire the high school (was Fiber to the Desktop, turned into a nightmare) and the superintendent gets to start implementing a 1:1 with Chromebooks, starting with 3-5th grades.

Except the chromebooks & carts were going to be more expensive than she was expecting, and wanted to find the extra cost elsewhere in the budget...then went on vacation until August. A week after she gets back, we get the consultant news. He's a deputy superintendent & tech director at a neighboring district that has really good tech, who also happens to run his own consulting firm. One of our admins welcomes a consultant, but has heard horror stories about this one in particular since he has deals with vendors and other districts have bought all sorts of poo poo from them that they had to tear out later. The consultant tells the superintendent to put all tech projects on hold, which means the high school rewiring won't get done before classes start, and the Chromebooks, already late because of the budget crap, will be coming in even later (if at all). The teachers were all eagerly anticipating the Chromebooks and were planning their lessons around them and removing classroom computers, and now they're all screwed up.

We're 'meeting' the consultant over a video conference next week. I hope he holds the admins' feet to the fire, since they're not very good, but delaying badly needed projects or teacher-promised purchases is really goddamn annoying.

Honestly it sounds like you do have some pretty crappy network admins. I worked at a school very briefly for about 2 months before moving on and it was the most depressing experience in my career. The school was constantly broke, and seemed like specific teachers and administrators had to much influence. They couldnt afford to upgrade their lovely NT servers but an assistant principal could get a brand new macbook air while all of the other teachers in his area were working off of 4-5 year old Dell latitudes.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Digium Support rep posted:

Fortis,
can you please give me and update on this case. Is this still and issue. Seems that you wasn't able to reproduce the iss
Thanks

That's the entire email. Verbatim. I only edited my name.

Also, I have emailed this guy the drat packet capture I took at least 3 times, I've been leaving tech support access enabled solely so he can remote in and download the drat capture himself, AND uploaded the capture to their support portal.

:smithicide:

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Crowley posted:

I'm partial to Serious Eats Foolproof Pan Pizza.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Honestly it sounds like you do have some pretty crappy network admins. I worked at a school very briefly for about 2 months before moving on and it was the most depressing experience in my career. The school was constantly broke, and seemed like specific teachers and administrators had to much influence. They couldnt afford to upgrade their lovely NT servers but an assistant principal could get a brand new macbook air while all of the other teachers in his area were working off of 4-5 year old Dell latitudes.

Something similar here. The head of the teacher's union teaches a computer class for idiots. It's mostly iphoto and bullshit mac software, when he has the full adobe suite and stuff available. His lab is about 5 years old now, when our standard computer is about 10 - we're mostly using Pentium 4s with 2GB RAM. He's been increasingly bitching about his lab, and we finally have some money and want to start looking at upgrades. Our mac tech found a company where we can buy some 2-year old lease-back macs for basically nothing (couple hundred bucks). When we brought the idea to him, he basically said that he's going to use his clout as head of the union to make sure he gets brand new equipment.

IT in education can be pretty good, and most teachers are pretty understanding. They do with what they have, and we try to give them what they need without a lot of equipment budget. It's fuckholes like him that have never ending demands that can never be satisfied that ruin it for a lot more.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Super Slash posted:

I had a funny one for an (unnamed) software suite about a month ago. They sent out their usual blah de blah newsletter, and then my box started filling like it was on fire. Turns out everyone on the list was getting everyone else's replies. So at first it was a rash of 'unsubscribe' and 'don't send me these' but then once some of us realized what was going on we had an old fashioned multi-email chain conversation going on about how dumb (company) was to set up their newsletter like that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Crowley posted:

For pizza dough and sauce from scratch. Sho'nuff.

Hell, I've been tempted to make my own mozzarella. It's super simple.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

flosofl posted:

Hell, I've been tempted to make my own mozzarella. It's super simple.

Do you keep buffalo in your backyard or something? :psyduck:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Super Slash posted:

Certain people in my last job would constantly send time off notifications to the All Employees list, even just for single days. "I will be taking PTO Friday <date>, I will be back Monday <date>. Fortunately during my time there, these never resulted in reply-all storms (though the company is considerably smaller than 10k employees).

It was always good for a chuckle though (and at that place, you took any opportunity for levity that you could). Whoever in my department noticed it first would make sure to tell everyone that they didn't have to come in to the office that day, since the Assistant Line Cook or the 2nd-shift warehouse manager was going to be gone.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Thankfully, we're not that bad. While we haven't had a tech levy pass in years, the state superintendent's office has a program where districts can get on a list to get off-lease hardware from government offices and private corporations. That largely kept us afloat with computers 'only' 3-5 years old, but the list got really long with the downturn. One of our paraeducators has some sort of crazy connections and got us in touch directly with the state Social Security, homeland security, and transit systems, who have been directly donating off-lease hardware to us (it's kinda cool having printers with big UNCLASSIFIED labels on them). And there are a couple of companies we use to buy off-lease hardware for a couple hundred bucks.

Being a big-wig in the district doesn't get you crap. Most of our staff are using donated desktops and monitors. Our administrators are now on a laptop replacement cycle, but we're only getting like 3 new ones a year. Most of the teachers in my buildings are on 4-5 year-old Dell and Lenovo laptops, but levy dollars are already earmarked to upgrade them, and they're not terrible machines at all (Latitude E5500s and Lenovo L520/T500s).
Our CTE program tends to get brand-new labs every couple years and expensive poo poo like Creative Suite, but they have gobs of money not in the general education fund. I was just asked to set up a mobile lab for middle school CTE, but it's all donated laptops.
Our tech director is very education-focused and won't let some puffed-up teacher or an admin that'll jump ship as soon as he can get a bigger title bully her into getting a $4000 laptop or a $30,000 lab to replace a year-old lab if an elementary school is struggling with 5-year-old, badly aging 10" Asus netbooks.

Our admins are lazy old sticks-in-the-mud (they're both well into their 50s, if not into their 60s), but if a 20-minute network outage in the middle of online testing is the worst thing that happened all year...
And it let me bitch about the idiots who wrote the SBAC software some more.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

dennyk posted:

Do you keep buffalo in your backyard or something? :psyduck:

In some states, it's legal to but raw milk from the market (without a direct relationship with the farmer). :arizona: :fsmug:

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

:yotj:

4 rounds of interviews, 4 psychometric tests, reference checks and a police check = moving to a new country ( :australia: ) in 4.5 weeks

:) and that mean I will be the 3rd in a team of 5 to quit in the next 5 weeks :byewhore:

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

nzspambot posted:

4 rounds of interviews, 4 psychometric tests, reference checks and a police check = moving to a new country ( :australia: ) in 4.5 weeks

From where, to where in particular?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Sales people who send emails like this piss me off:

quote:

Hi Erwin!

Scrotal Storage has slapped the face of software defined storage! Ditch the SAN and embrace storage sacks!

Please let me know when you have 30 minutes for a Webex to discuss this amazing new technology!

gently caress off, stop trying to set up meetings during the first contact email. The worst is when they have the balls to send you a meeting invite in the very first email.

And of course today I get one of these from a company that I actually want to talk to about their product :ughh: It makes me like the company less, and there's no way I'm replying to the sales person's email. I'll go to their main site and request a demo, because I'm not giving them a data point indicating that this tactic is working.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Erwin posted:

Sales people who send emails like this piss me off:

gently caress off, stop trying to set up meetings during the first contact email. The worst is when they have the balls to send you a meeting invite in the very first email.

And of course today I get one of these from a company that I actually want to talk to about their product :ughh: It makes me like the company less, and there's no way I'm replying to the sales person's email. I'll go to their main site and request a demo, because I'm not giving them a data point indicating that this tactic is working.

It's a call to action. If you don't have a reason to continue talking with them, you very likely won't, even if you think that the software is nifty.

I mean, yeah, it's annoying, but 90% of cold calling is just getting your foot in the door and getting someone to speak with you.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013
Here's something that pissed me off: the current "offical" build of libssh for windows was built in debug mode, so it depends on MSVCR100D.dll, which is not legally redistributable.

No really, go and see for yourself!

Ever wanted to beat someone to death with their own keyboard?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
I used to work for a company that did that, and then distributed MSVCR100D.dll - no matter how hard I tried to explain no-one could understand the issue.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

It looks like libssh is LGPL and has a public git repo, so why not build it yourself against the legally redistributable runtime library?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Che Delilas posted:

Certain people in my last job would constantly send time off notifications to the All Employees list, even just for single days. "I will be taking PTO Friday <date>, I will be back Monday <date>. Fortunately during my time there, these never resulted in reply-all storms (though the company is considerably smaller than 10k employees).

We're only about 100 employees here. Every morning someone sends out a list of who's absent that day. Then 10 minutes later there's another revised list. And another. And another. It's not uncommon to get 6 or 8 in a day. I've even seen them sent out in the afternoon.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
:regd09: "Hi, this is Big Mean Jerk with IT. I'm doing some cleanup on a server that's running out of space and I noticed that you have a 22GB folder marked "AAA YOUTUBE VIDS"
:downs: "Right, that's a bunch of videos of furnace heater demos I use"
:regd09: "There are at least three files titled 'big_tits_tease.flv'"
:saddowns: "...I'll delete them."
:regd09: "That would be wise."

And the folders simply disappear.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I'm surprised nobody got hit with go daddy dns issues

https://twitter.com/GoDaddyHelp/status/501720577686507521

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

incoherent posted:

I'm pretty sure one of our clients did.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

incoherent posted:

Oh my God, I love how one of the retweets is some guy pimping his marketing firm under the guise of asking for help.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Sir_Substance posted:

From where, to where in particular?

Not stalking me I hope...Akl, NZ to Melbourne, Aus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

nzspambot posted:

Not stalking me I hope...Akl, NZ to Melbourne, Aus

A solid choice, I've only been to Melbourne once, but I'd say its x10 better then Sydney, although of course not a patch on Adelaide :smuggo:

SamDabbers posted:

It looks like libssh is LGPL and has a public git repo, so why not build it yourself against the legally redistributable runtime library?

I went and found an unofficial build that didn't have the dep. I'm working on getting some code that hasn't been developed activly for a year compiling again, so I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible.