Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
Those cats are ultra cute, I wanna grab the pattern sometime and make all of my cats as dolls and make/find little clothes for them and stuff :3: I think I already favorited it on etsy so I can get it later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I'm a little cat in a pretty hat!
Love the kitty! I need to get a pattern too. Gotta get out of just making whales (if only they weren't so easy and something I can do during tabletop nights).

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

I've also started on another giant squid. A blue one this time. I'll finish it between bouts of being crazy!

flutterbyblue posted:

Love the kitty! I need to get a pattern too. Gotta get out of just making whales (if only they weren't so easy and something I can do during tabletop nights).

Whales are adorable. How big?

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

They're roughly the size of a cantaloupe I guess? They're really pretty small and easy to hand-stitch. I think I've posted a few pics in the thread, but nothing really for scale.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
:woop: it's happening :woop:

http://www.squishable.com/pc/opensquish_jumping_spider_35211/prototypes/Squishable+Rainbow+Jumping+Spider

Now I'm really hype to make some patterns for moths or something, can't afford fabric at the moment but I think I have enough scrap materials left over from other projects that I could put something together.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
That's awesome!

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Ahhhhh! Congrats <3

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Yay! Let us know when it's on sale please. :3:

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I am so ridiculously excited :neckbeard:

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

So, making yet another squid. This one may end up with a buyer, as opposed to living on my couch. I changed the pattern so that the tentacles are attached to the headpiece, to make it look nicer with less seams. I also attached the mouth part in a way that makes the tentacles not pinched where they attach to the body.

I also felt like changing the little finny part on the mantle because I felt like it!

Currently, I am leaving it a stage where I can ship it. If they can't afford it, I'll just stuff it normally. If they can, I am going to put a small zipper on the bottom of the mantle so they can stuff it after it arrives. $25 for a bag of stuffing is much cheaper than paying for a fully stuffed squid to ship!

Sadly it means I don't get a nice looking squid for my portfolio (unless I add the zipper, stuff it, take a photo then unstuff it)

Its also blue!

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
I keep wanting to try making a giant squid, I bet it'd make a great body pillow cause of the shape.

Also, I suggested that they could try rainbow tiedye fabric for the spots so they made a poll on facebook about it :v: https://www.facebook.com/squishabledotcom/photos/a.152032510379.155711.82290115379/10152494318110380/?type=1 Honestly I dunno which looks better myself!! I am pretty in love with the rainbow fabric they have, but I did design the solid colors to look nice together.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Voltin Bolt posted:

I keep wanting to try making a giant squid, I bet it'd make a great body pillow cause of the shape.

Also, I suggested that they could try rainbow tiedye fabric for the spots so they made a poll on facebook about it :v: https://www.facebook.com/squishabledotcom/photos/a.152032510379.155711.82290115379/10152494318110380/?type=1 Honestly I dunno which looks better myself!! I am pretty in love with the rainbow fabric they have, but I did design the solid colors to look nice together.

I use one of the squids as a pillow on my bed. So yeah, they are great <3. Totes not creepy to have a giant squid body pillow by the by. Honest!

The other ones I've done aren't really "Giant Squid" but more of giant Squid. Giant Squids have a sort of arrow-shaped fin on the tip of their mantle. Which sadly I hosed up a bit so doesn't look as nice as I wanted to.

In this case, I added an innovation! As suggested by another plushmaker on Deviantart. She suggested adding a zipper to the back, so I can ship it out sans stuffing, so I can cram it into a small box to make it... well. Shippable.

I also need to get a photography setup again. When I get my bedroom reorganized into a workspace, I am gonna put some nails into the wall and hang a giant white sheet as a backdrop for photos.

I really really really like the colours on this one.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
I wish I'd used a zipper when I shipped that meter-long Furret to Wales, but by god I was determined to cram it into a 1' envelope (and actually managed to with a ton of plastic wrap.)

TheAbominableSnow
Nov 20, 2012

a thousand puns and not one of them worth saying
Those squid plushies are just so :3:. I'm gonna try and make a pair of them for me and my roommate next month! The pattern looks fairly straightforward, but is there anything I should watch out for? I was also thinking about trading out the felt for fleece, possibly, and I've never worked with felt before so I don't know if that would be easier or harder.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

TheAbominableSnow posted:

Those squid plushies are just so :3:. I'm gonna try and make a pair of them for me and my roommate next month! The pattern looks fairly straightforward, but is there anything I should watch out for? I was also thinking about trading out the felt for fleece, possibly, and I've never worked with felt before so I don't know if that would be easier or harder.

Fleece tends to have stretch to it, felt not so much. I'd recommend fleece as well because its soft and cuddly! Things to watch out for though. Attaching the arms to the body can look better/worse depending on how much effort you put into it. In my most recent one, the inside part of the arms are attached to the mouth-area, and the outside of the arms are attached to the head. This leaves the base of the arms being more full and nice looking!

But its also took me about hour + half extra to do it this way. Otherwise, you just stitch over the arms between the mouth and the head (which makes them pinched, but its also super quick).

Other than that... its pretty straight forward. The poofy stuffing sheets you use in comforters is also really nice for using on the arms (you set up the arms to stuff as you would, and put the comforter-stuffing-sheet beneath it and stitch. When done, it'll give them volume and avoids the semi-hard balling you'd get from trying to stuff long arms with standard polyester stuffing).

Lets see. Unless you've got your pattern down pat, putting the eyes on by hand when its stuffed is a good idea. That way they are aligned!

TheAbominableSnow
Nov 20, 2012

Awesome advice, thank you! As soon as the next big fleece sale rolls around I'm gonna stock up. I think I've got some stuffing sheets leftover from another project, too, so I think I'll try that method for the arms.

I made this little guy to tide myself over until then. He's based off of one of my favorite mythological critters, the Nuckelavee, a skinless cyclopian scottish nightmare centaur. So obviously I had to make the little goober as cute as possible.

I decided to try felt with this one, because I figured the firmer fabric would help him stand up better. He's hand sewn due to size. I'm super pleased with how he turned out, especially since I just eyeballed pieces without drafting a pattern! His horse head is all hosed up and he's kind of a fattie, but it sort of works, I guess. Gonna try and start another little monster plush today, except this time I think I'll try and give it a wire skeleton for posing.

TheAbominableSnow fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 23, 2014

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
I like it!

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

^^Haha, wow that's creepy and still rather cute. Love the teeth!

I made snails instead of whales this time. I feel pretty good since I sketched out the pattern in about an hour. And they're good baby grabbin' size.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Snails! You're making the icky to be very cute :3

Reminds of a way I made spiral shells for my naultiloids. Its probably way way way easier if you want to try it. I made a double-sided long and narrow triangle of the shell colour (section it into different colours for the inside part) and literally just rolled it up into a spiral. It turned out pretty well :3

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

Sweet! Do you have any pictures? I'd be curious since the shell was the most time consuming part and it's always fun to have some other options. I did look through your past posts but I don't see any naultiloids.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

They're pretty old. I made them when I was doing all of the MLP stuff. I also put the shells on upside down but ignore that!

So, I made a narrow and long triangle, and did not stuff it. You could section it into the colours you want to show up on the side. You just roll it up, and do a few hand stitches to connect different layers as you roll it up so it doesn't come apart.

TheAbominableSnow
Nov 20, 2012

Aw geez, those snails turned out so cute! A little bigger and they'd make the most adorable pillows ever.

I made another little dude. Wire skeleton, this time, and the horns are painted sculpey. He's pretty delicate--much moreso than the last--but holds up fine to posing and isn't in danger of popping any stitches.

He's a fierce and bloodthirsty wendigo, so I sculpted a few tiny bones for props. :3:

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

Thanks Brainbread! I can definitely see what you mean now. And cute little nautilus critter.

And thanks TheAbominableSnow. They would be pretty cute pillows and now I'm thinking of scaling one up for my office futon. Your new little critter definitely suits your handle. I like your mixed media approach to crafting. Is the "blood" some type of paint, or is it something else?

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

TheAbominableSnow posted:

He's a fierce and bloodthirsty wendigo, so I sculpted a few tiny bones for props. :3:

Ahhh! He's so cute!

flutterbyblue posted:

Thanks Brainbread! I can definitely see what you mean now. And cute little nautilus critter.

I think I might take some time and make a few big ones tomorrow. They're pretty simple to do and I do like having more ideas for sewing.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
The third and final bug round of Open Squish just started, and I've got another arachnid design in it -

Please meet my Scorpion, I based its design on the Giant Desert Hairy Scorpion (Hadrurus arizonensis) cause I figured that'd be a pretty good choice for an enormous fluffy ball. If the design is cool and you think it should be a thing, please vote 5~

It'd be way too awesome if it could win after my jumping spider, but I foresee a much more difficult contest this time around since scorpions aren't traditionally seen as cute :(

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Voltin Bolt posted:

The third and final bug round of Open Squish just started, and I've got another arachnid design in it -

Please meet my Scorpion, I based its design on the Giant Desert Hairy Scorpion (Hadrurus arizonensis) cause I figured that'd be a pretty good choice for an enormous fluffy ball. If the design is cool and you think it should be a thing, please vote 5~

It'd be way too awesome if it could win after my jumping spider, but I foresee a much more difficult contest this time around since scorpions aren't traditionally seen as cute :(

Your stuff is soooooo cute :3

I wish I remembered how to properly make spheres. Would make sewing them easier.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

Brainbread posted:

Your stuff is soooooo cute :3

I wish I remembered how to properly make spheres. Would make sewing them easier.

I know at least two methods to make spheres, one being the fat round diamonds way, and the other being the baseball way.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Voltin Bolt posted:

I know at least two methods to make spheres, one being the fat round diamonds way, and the other being the baseball way.

Merci! Fat round ones make for easier stripes.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

So, threw together a quick snail with said spirally pattern. The biggest difficulty is attaching the head piece to the ... snaily part. I *want* to try stitching all the head parts to the shell prior to stitching them together, but that'll prolly not work. I did a backstitch by hand on the shell side, going through it about 1cm from the edge into the end of the head piece, so try to get it to overlap, which was slightly effective.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be happy to hear! I didn't like exactly how that part turned out, and I think there'd be a lot to improve.

As for the shell, I lightly stuffed it from the far end of the shell (the very inside), stitched that closed and rolled it up. Every layer or so I just quickly handstitched the top and bottom layers together, and did the same thing to attach the last layer to the area above the head.

Including making the pattern, was about ~~2 hours?

If I make another, i'll probably add about two foot to the length of the shell. I felt it was quite a bit too small.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

Haha! Very cute! I like the eyestalks. My only suggestion would be to see if there was a way to make the shell sit on the "back" of the snail and bring some of the body under it and out the back a little so it gets a bit more of the skirt/foot look that garden snails have going on.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

flutterbyblue posted:

Haha! Very cute! I like the eyestalks. My only suggestion would be to see if there was a way to make the shell sit on the "back" of the snail and bring some of the body under it and out the back a little so it gets a bit more of the skirt/foot look that garden snails have going on.

I actually didn't look at a snail for my reference. Which is probably why I think your suggestion is awesome.

Thank you!

E: This pattern is really simple. Attaching the shell and the eyes are the most complicated parts, and the eyestalks are easy to do!

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 28, 2014

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hey I wanted to share these and there's no other place here that is close, but my girlfriend and I made puppets for an internet skit show and since there's no puppet thread here ya go.

I thought some of you might like this. The goal was to make Henson-esque puppets based on my cartoon designs.

The entire album is here:
http://highmountainshoecobbler.imgur.com/

Some picks from the pics:
Initial designs

Foam fabricated bodies

Maybe he doesn't need eyes and I'm done?

Inside sock so we don't destroy the foam from the inside out.

Rotoscoped sky (badly) from the actual video

It took us about 3 days of working total. We've never tried anything like that before, but I think they turned out brilliantly and now I have myself two Henson style puppets and I think it's pretty loving rad. We modified a few patterns we found on some youtube tutorials to make the final head shapes.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

SymfonyMan posted:

Hey I wanted to share these and there's no other place here that is close, but my girlfriend and I made puppets for an internet skit show and since there's no puppet thread here ya go.

I thought some of you might like this. The goal was to make Henson-esque puppets based on my cartoon designs.

Rotoscoped sky (badly) from the actual video

It took us about 3 days of working total. We've never tried anything like that before, but I think they turned out brilliantly and now I have myself two Henson style puppets and I think it's pretty loving rad. We modified a few patterns we found on some youtube tutorials to make the final head shapes.

Ahhh! Thats awesome. And yes, this place would be the right place for them. Do you have a link to the video?

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Brainbread posted:

Ahhh! Thats awesome. And yes, this place would be the right place for them. Do you have a link to the video?

Sure, if you meant the skit show we put together on no budget it's here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJWelzL2nM0

That video has about 1/5th of the amount of views as the imgur album showing off the puppets. :D

If you meant the video that we used to make the puppets, then that is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbQnuAOlGwc

We basically did a modified version of his puppet design. We are going to make a 3rd puppet for episode 3. It's going to be a full body hand puppet like Cookie Monster and Bunson/Beaker. That should be fun and probably a lot easier since we won't need to fabricate a foam body.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

flutterbyblue posted:

So. I actually looked at a reference. So. My snail isn't backwards and inverted. Gonna update my pattern so that the body is another 3 inches longer or so so it sticks out behind, and cut off a couple inches off the shell.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Another Ginga plush, because they seem to be the most fun for me to sew.

This time it's a villain - P4 "Kaibutsu" from Ginga Densetsu Weed.

His markings are painted on, and not quite done yet. And the kitchen is covered in faux fur.

Comparison shot to the first plush I made (using a free pattern) around 4(?) years ago. After that, I started marking my own patterns through trial and error.

Mostly error.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Trial and error is the way to go!

Final snail pattern is complete! Looks like a snail. New to old.

I think I actually got it right this time <3

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
So cute! It's making me want to design a snail myself.

Currently I'm working on another Sleipnir, this time with a bit of a death metal twist. Last week I finished a fairy doll for one of my coworkers, but I was running late on getting it done and didn't get a chance to take pictures.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

Eeee! You added the little feeler/mouth bits! :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Death Metal Sleipnir!

*Yawn* Stayed up late to get this in the mail today...

• Locked thread