Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Comradephate posted:

Do you have actual evidence of this or are you just looking to stir the pot?
Innumerable scientific studies have shown that resumes with black-sounding names, or resumes with female names, are ranked lower in the candidate pool than those with identical qualifications, but names that sound like white males:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/black-names-a-resume-burden/
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/unofficial-prognosis/2012/09/23/study-shows-gender-bias-in-science-is-real-heres-why-it-matters/

It stands to reason that candidates who are black or women need higher levels of credentials than their white male counterparts to get competitive levels of responses to their resumes.

Of course, the effects of these biases are going to vary by position, company, industry, etc. Science has long been known to be a shithole for women, but so has technology, especially in the manchild-run startup arena.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

psydude posted:

Do you live in the south, by any chance?
Midwest, which has it's own special blend of racism

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

jim truds posted:

Nothing that extreme, no one is sitting in their office cackling about all the poor people they are keeping from getting jobs.

Yea, there's no vast conspiracy :tinfoil: but trying to imagine it in my head is hilarious.

Keep them poors of them computers. :smuggo:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's Barron Harkonnen but he's wearing a top hat and cane, he's the ring leader.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Are companies in DC area willing to help attain a security clearance for the right candidate? I am aiming for pre-sales in the DC area for my next move but I don't want to screw myself over by not having the clearance already before applying in the area.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Sepist posted:

Are companies in DC area willing to help attain a security clearance for the right candidate? I am aiming for pre-sales in the DC area for my next move but I don't want to screw myself over by not having the clearance already before applying in the area.

In my experience, yes, but it's rather limited. I don't think many people pay for a clearance themselves so I think most companies are used to footing the bill for this.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I wouldn't be surprised if they make you sign some kind of wavier - employee must remain here for X amount of days or foot the bill for training.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.

Dark Helmut posted:

In my experience, yes, but it's rather limited. I don't think many people pay for a clearance themselves so I think most companies are used to footing the bill for this.

I don't think anyone being hired pays for the clearance check. At least, I see a huge conflict of interest if that's ever the case. That's all on the company and the service in charge of the background check. I think the paired down document is a SF86 form, but you may have to do it online depending on how the company is set up for background checks. The other thing is that getting the job/clearance depends on how badly they want the position filled. If they can't find someone with close creds that already has a D.O.D. clearance (or D.O.J.) then they'll look to filling it with people that don't. If your skills totally outshine everyone else's, then you may be chosen as well.

Good luck, and it's MUCH easier to get in and getting a clearance if you know someone on the inside that can vouch for you or push your resume to the top of the list.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Tab8715 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they make you sign some kind of wavier - employee must remain here for X amount of days or foot the bill for training.

There's no training required to get a clearance.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Sepist posted:

It's much like anything else with a high up-front cost; they'll foot the bill if they think you are an amazing applicant with a very good chance of receiving clearance... unless an adequate applicant who already has clearance applies. Especially true for TS/SCI because an SSBI will take an indeterminate amount of time and cost many thousands of dollars.

As for footing the bill yourself, it's my understanding that it's not really an option. You can't just decide that you want clearance and go through the process. An organization with classified information, or at least an organization looking to hire someone who will require access to classified information has to make the request to the appropriate agency.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Sepist posted:

Security Clearances are held by an agency, not the company doing the work, so it's not Northrop / Lockheed / etc. The company then holds a contract that has a set of clearances attached to it.

If you don't have a clearance and a contractor hires you, it is based upon you obtaining whatever level clearance they require, but until your interm clearance comes back, you'll be sitting idle, but getting paid. Some contractor companies will "hire" you and start you on your paperwork, but not have you leave your current gig until your clearance comes back, but during this time you still are only paid by your current gig, not both.

And contrary to popular belief, the contractor company does not pay for the clearance, the government does.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Thanks for the info guys. I am hoping the contracting company I work for now has a position down there at the time so I have the name recognition. They have a spot open now but my move would be at least 2 years out.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Sepist posted:

You're like an ultra-senior engineer, so you'll have no issues. It's easier to find someone to straight up sponsor you for a Secret than a Top Secret, but I don't think you'll have any problems.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I think this is the last time I play a drinking game on a conference call, hoo boy.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I've decided I'm going to go the nepotism route for my next gig - gently caress education and certifications. I went to my family get-together yesterday and was talking with a cousin who just happens to be a GS and runs her own IT shop on another part of the base. They're looking for some folks who know Exchange, a little bit of Linux, some VMware, and Server 2008 R2, so when she found out where I was at she demanded some information on what I was doing and then smiled like the Cheshire Cat. She's going to ask around and start some balls rolling and will be getting back with me to let me know the results. The positions she mentioned were like GS11 Step 1 or GS12 positions, plus they only work M-F. It would be quite the accomplishment to go from a contractor to GS - I never thought I would have a possible opportunity like this come along. Ever.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Drink for the following terms:

Synergy
Paradigm shift
Low hanging fruit
Going forward
Outside the box
Let's pull up offline
It is what it is

My list is probably a bit dated, feel free to add your own.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
My coworker has been bugging me for a linkedin recommendation for a while now since endorsements are pretty much bullshit, finally caved and made this one. I think I did a pretty good job.

quote:

"Working with X has inspired me to achieve higher goals, because he encouraged me to reach out past my boundaries. When asked, X gave helpful criticisms of my work and then would volunteer his expertise to help me implement the solutions. When we had a difference of opinion on how to approach a problem, he never downplayed my view and would make sure we both end up on the same page. He is a team player who could always be counted on to put in more than his share of the work when needed.

During difficult projects, I often wondered if this is how Scottie Pippen felt when in the presense of Michael Jordan during the 91 - 93 three-peat."

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I've decided I'm going to go the nepotism route for my next gig - gently caress education and certifications. I went to my family get-together yesterday and was talking with a cousin who just happens to be a GS and runs her own IT shop on another part of the base. They're looking for some folks who know Exchange, a little bit of Linux, some VMware, and Server 2008 R2, so when she found out where I was at she demanded some information on what I was doing and then smiled like the Cheshire Cat. She's going to ask around and start some balls rolling and will be getting back with me to let me know the results. The positions she mentioned were like GS11 Step 1 or GS12 positions, plus they only work M-F. It would be quite the accomplishment to go from a contractor to GS - I never thought I would have a possible opportunity like this come along. Ever.

Not to burst any bubbles, but you'll need to successfully beat OPM (Civilian HR) in order to get a GS position. While she can open a job requisition, she does not get to select candidates until OPM delivers her the top 5 candidates. From there, she has to disqualify down the list to get to you.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Endorsements are the greatest thing ever invented. I've barely touched my LinkedIn profile as many of you who fell victim to my mass-buddying can attest. I've never added skill to my profile, but I get endorsed for random IT poo poo by random IT shits. I am, apparently, an industry leader in technologies such as IIS, VPN and Sharepoint.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

NippleFloss posted:

There's no training required to get a clearance.

This is not necessarily true anymore- http://www.giac.org/certifications/dodd-8570

Depending on the job requirements/category, you may be required to obtain some sort of certification.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Glass of Milk posted:

This is not necessarily true anymore- http://www.giac.org/certifications/dodd-8570

Depending on the job requirements/category, you may be required to obtain some sort of certification.

You can be a DoD employee/contractor and hold no security clearance and you are still required to meet 8570 requirements.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

You can be a DoD employee/contractor and hold no security clearance and you are still required to meet 8570 requirements.
I can't imagine meeting 8,570 different requirements, that much be such an exhausting checklist.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I can't imagine meeting 8,570 different requirements, that much be such an exhausting checklist.

That's just the requirements to get a workstation :smug:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Dark Helmut posted:

Synergy
Paradigm shift
Low hanging fruit
Going forward
Outside the box
Let's pull up offline
It is what it is

Disruptive

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Dark Helmut posted:

Synergy
Paradigm shift
Low hanging fruit
Going forward
Outside the box
Let's pull up offline
It is what it is

My personal favorite "Feel free to ping me offline" which essentially means "talk to me in-person". :lol:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Sepist posted:

My coworker has been bugging me for a linkedin recommendation for a while now since endorsements are pretty much bullshit, finally caved and made this one. I think I did a pretty good job.

That's really good, mind if I barrow it? :haw:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Dark Helmut posted:

Synergy
Paradigm shift
Low hanging fruit
Going forward
Outside the box
Let's pull up offline
It is what it is

Today I had someone say "That was my ask last week". :suicide:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Tab8715 posted:

Go nuts

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Unrelated to the current topic, but I found out I'm having a baby girl, and it makes me really sad to know that there's no way I'd encourage her to go into IT due to the misogynistic weirdos it attracts.

:smith:

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Tab8715 posted:

Your egregious misspelling possessed me to GIS some strange wheel barrow pics and let me say I'm too disturbed to post what I found.

three posted:

Unrelated to the current topic, but I found out I'm having a baby girl, and it makes me really sad to know that there's no way I'd encourage her to go into IT due to the misogynistic weirdos it attracts.

Dude, this isn't IT's fault. You will feel the same way about your little girl doing anything that anyone you know does. Ever.

For example, I will be horrified if my girl:
Works in IT
Works in staffing
Works in a restaurant
Plays ice hockey

The list goes on.

But congrats! Mine's 9 and I'm about 3-4 years from a heart attack.

Dark Helmut fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 18, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

three posted:

Congratulations!

Things get better quickly sometimes. There'll be a tipping point where well adjusted female IT workers are worth more than the male weirdos and companies will start clearing house.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

three posted:

Congratulations! Things might be better for women in IT in 20 years. God knows it was better for them 20 years ago.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Glass of Milk posted:

Those are requirements to work as a contractor, not to hold a clearance. I am cleared secret because I consult with a DOD agency, but I am not required to meet the training requirements because I do not work for that agency as a direct hire or contractor.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I decided to take an offer for a 100% remote position (the entire company works this way). Anyone have any tips for working out of your home without going insane?

I plan on checking out some local co-working places to maybe mix it up a bit. Everything is flex scheduling with on call, so I'll have a lot of freedom most of the time.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

JHVH-1 posted:

I decided to take an offer for a 100% remote position (the entire company works this way). Anyone have any tips for working out of your home without going insane?

There's a million blog posts about it. Do you live by yourself?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

JHVH-1 posted:

I plan on checking out some local co-working places to maybe mix it up a bit. Everything is flex scheduling with on call, so I'll have a lot of freedom most of the time.

I also work 100% remote. It's a difficult thing to adjust to at first, so...

• Get good at scheduling your own time. I don't mean actual tasks to complete, since that's probably a skill you already have. I mean that on the days where you're busy, it's going to feel like a much longer day than being in the office, because all of your built-in breaks are gone.
  • As a corollary, nobody stops by your desk to ask you something. Nobody asks you out to lunch. You don't run into anyone while you're getting coffee. It's just you and your work with no interruptions, and nobody to vent to or bounce ideas off of without reaching out over IM or the phone. This also means that when you're swearing at your computer, nobody pipes up and asks you what your doing and gives you suggestions
  • Co-working spaces and hackerspaces are good to break this up, but those people are also (broadly) not familiar with the circumstances of your job and what you're trying to fix. They still may not be able to give you meaningful help and they definitely won't be able to log into the server/switch and help look at logs or troubleshoot it with you.
  • Schedule weekly or bi-weekly video chats with your team. This actually helps. A lot. Nobody really likes meetings, but seeing the people you work with face-to-face (sorta) makes it more bearable
  • Try to get together with your team in person a couple times a year if possible
  • Set up your office out of the way. Seriously. Like another bedroom that you never go in. And close the door when you leave. Eventually you won't need to do this anymore, but it really helps create a mental separation in the beginning
  • Similarly, even though you'll probably be able to most of your work on your own hardware, don't. Use the laptop they give you and don't do work unless you're using that, in the beginning, at least.
That's really it. The actual job isn't that different, but the working conditions are (some in a good way, some not), and establishing mental barriers was really the hardest part.

Unless you're married or have someone else living with you. In which case setting clear boundaries about the fact that you're actually working even though you're at home and you don't really have any more time than you did before to do housework or get lunch or whatever is beneficial. You will actually have more time to do these things. But people take advantage, or you get distracted, and all of a sudden you've spent your afternoon going to the market and making beef bourguignon. It's best to just pretend you're in an office as far as time-management and social activies go, at least in the beginning.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

There's a million blog posts about it. Do you live by yourself?

Yeah I live alone. I plan to at least start going to tech meetups and all that stuff I couldn't do before with my crappy schedule. I can probably do more with the flexible schedule, I just might miss going to an office and working there (but even that has its pluses and minuses depending on the day)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

JHVH-1 posted:

Always get dressed in the morning. Resist the impulse to free-ball it during a conference call.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

evol262 posted:

I also work 100% remote. It's a difficult thing to adjust to at first, so...

• Get good at scheduling your own time. I don't mean actual tasks to complete, since that's probably a skill you already have. I mean that on the days where you're busy, it's going to feel like a much longer day than being in the office, because all of your built-in breaks are gone.
  • As a corollary, nobody stops by your desk to ask you something. Nobody asks you out to lunch. You don't run into anyone while you're getting coffee. It's just you and your work with no interruptions, and nobody to vent to or bounce ideas off of without reaching out over IM or the phone. This also means that when you're swearing at your computer, nobody pipes up and asks you what your doing and gives you suggestions
  • Co-working spaces and hackerspaces are good to break this up, but those people are also (broadly) not familiar with the circumstances of your job and what you're trying to fix. They still may not be able to give you meaningful help and they definitely won't be able to log into the server/switch and help look at logs or troubleshoot it with you.
  • Schedule weekly or bi-weekly video chats with your team. This actually helps. A lot. Nobody really likes meetings, but seeing the people you work with face-to-face (sorta) makes it more bearable
  • Try to get together with your team in person a couple times a year if possible
  • Set up your office out of the way. Seriously. Like another bedroom that you never go in. And close the door when you leave. Eventually you won't need to do this anymore, but it really helps create a mental separation in the beginning
  • Similarly, even though you'll probably be able to most of your work on your own hardware, don't. Use the laptop they give you and don't do work unless you're using that, in the beginning, at least.
That's really it. The actual job isn't that different, but the working conditions are (some in a good way, some not), and establishing mental barriers was really the hardest part.

Unless you're married or have someone else living with you. In which case setting clear boundaries about the fact that you're actually working even though you're at home and you don't really have any more time than you did before to do housework or get lunch or whatever is beneficial. You will actually have more time to do these things. But people take advantage, or you get distracted, and all of a sudden you've spent your afternoon going to the market and making beef bourguignon. It's best to just pretend you're in an office as far as time-management and social activies go, at least in the beginning.

Thanks for the tips.

The one person I know actually also works RedHat like yourself but as a sales engineer. I know someone who lives nearby who has a 2 family house with half of it empty. I might see if he can rent me just the office space there.

They are going to give me a budget for things like a work computer and desk. They pay for internet and phone, and now I don't have to pay for gas and tolls so that works out saving a few thousand a year right there. I believe they use hipchat to keep in discussion with the team. Everyone is remote, so at least there won't be any friction with people who do go into the office vs those who don't, so I won't have to compete for facetime. I believe they have company gatherings in Vegas or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
YOTJ. Just accepted an offer to become a Sr. Security Engineer. $12k salary increase, $52/mo PPO, 3 weeks of paid vacation each year, and $6250/yr in tuition reimbursement.