Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
I've always had at least one cat whenever I've owned rats. Currently I have 2 rats and 2 cats. I keep the rats away from the cats, and have their cage situated so the cats can't jump on it/beside it. If I have the rats out for playtime, and cats are in the same room, they're either sleeping away from the play area, or otherwise kept at a distance. If the cats ever got too nosy, I could just shut them out of the room until rattie playtime is over.

Years ago, I had some close calls with sudden rat-and-cat encounters. Quick reflexes are great, but you won't always be faster than your cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I have two cats who grew up with rats, and have never had a problem. The cats view the rats wiyh indifference, the rats like the cats but the cats will generally jump down from the couch if a rat comes up to them.

I would not remotely trust a cat who hasn't grown up with rats from kittenhood. Hell, I never leave mine unsupervised together.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

Breaky posted:

I didn't see anything in the OP about this so asking here:

What are thoughts / guidelines / cautions about potentially owning rats in a house with cats?

I used to own rats for many years as the only pets in the house. I haven't had any for the past 3 years as I've moved around etc. My fiancee and I now live together and came with 2 cats that are pretty mellow / well behaved as far as most cats go.

Would it be ridiculous to try to own rats in that type of situation? I am considering it right now but wanted to know opinions on the matter. We have a substantially big enough house that we could keep them separate but I want to know if it would be too stressful just having the cats around. If not how does one go about socializing the two?

Honestly, take a light attitude by keeping an eye on both and everything should be fine.

My rat who just passed away was not scared or timid by my cats. The cats were horrified of her to be honest. Early on she bit them in on the nose, claimed the couch and every since then the cats knew she was the boss of the house and mainly kept to themselves.

Otherwise, she LOVED the cats. She loved watching them, and I swear even wanted to join in at times. For example, food time for the cats are 6am, she would wake up at 5am and watch them try to wake me up. She would get so excited as I got up and tried so hard to join in.

The only get got her upset was when the cats were on the couch and/or cuddling me. My rat got super territorial over me and the couch. Still, all she could do in the cage is watch and be slightly pissed off.

There was no traumatic moments, poor little rats hiding fear, etc etc. Introduce both sides and when the rats are out, just keep an eye out on them. Simple. If you don't feel comfortable enough, put the rats in a room the cats can't access or if it time for the rats to come out, put the cats in a different room.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Thanks all. In the past when I owned them I let them free range around me and my desk and that was about it. The cats can be easily separated from them, entirely if need be. I do appreciate the negative opinion on it and will think about that awhile longer before deciding. Good thing is the house is big and the cats have lots of other stimulation / less "cat smells" near where the rats would live.

Russian Dollies
Jun 25, 2006

Basically... RUN.

Breaky posted:

I didn't see anything in the OP about this so asking here:

What are thoughts / guidelines / cautions about potentially owning rats in a house with cats?

I used to own rats for many years as the only pets in the house. I haven't had any for the past 3 years as I've moved around etc. My fiancee and I now live together and came with 2 cats that are pretty mellow / well behaved as far as most cats go.

Would it be ridiculous to try to own rats in that type of situation? I am considering it right now but wanted to know opinions on the matter. We have a substantially big enough house that we could keep them separate but I want to know if it would be too stressful just having the cats around. If not how does one go about socializing the two?

Speaking as someone that brought the rats in after the cats: my cats are terrified of my rats. The only one that comes near is our kitten because she used to play with one (highly supervised) when they were the same size. Obviously, this is anecdotal and every situation is different.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I think it totally depends on the individual rat and cat. Hell, I have parrots too and my cats are indifferent to them because they found out early on partots BITE if you go near the cage. Pet rats are pretty big and strong. One bite from a rat would probably deter a lot of cats.
I still never leave mine unsupervised. Thats pretty much all I meant by not trusting them. Its just smart to err on the side of caution.
Oh, I should add none of my 8 or so rats have ever been scared or stressed by my cats. I have one boy who is a bit cautious of them while out of the cage, but as long as they're not on the couch with him he's fine. All my other rats have been curious and wanted to be friends. Which is hilariously off-putting to my cats, who usually run.

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 6, 2014

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Can anyone recommend a vet in the Silicon Valley? I think my boy has an abscess behind his ear. :(

His ear looks fine, no weird smells, shows no sign of pain or any other symptoms of illness, but the abscess is spreading apart his fur apart and showing some dark patch of skin beneath. It all grew within two days.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Clare was put to sleep today. She never recovered from the seizure she had, or she had a pituitary tumor growing. Either way, she wasn't able to keep herself upright to walk any longer.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

KariOhki posted:

Clare was put to sleep today. She never recovered from the seizure she had, or she had a pituitary tumor growing. Either way, she wasn't able to keep herself upright to walk any longer.

Poor baby. I'm sorry :(

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!
Has anyone successfully isolated an extremely elderly rat?

I have a female going on 3 1/2 years, and free feed her a lot of high-calorie foods to keep her weight up. (She is amazingly healthy other than her weight.) Her cagemate is about 1 1/2 years, and has grown so fat she resembles a round ball of fur with a head and tail. She will literally steal the food out of the elderly rat's hands. She bullies her occasionally, too. The elderly rat is missing fur from surgeries that never grew back, and I've started noticing a few small scabs here and there. Nothing major, but the elderly rat is very fragile. I'm leaning towards isolating the elderly female and just keeping her with me a few hours in the evenings. She has always loved human attention, and never seemed too attached to a specific cagemate. Either that, or getting her a baby companion (maybe 6-8 weeks) that would be less likely to scuffle and aggressively eat all of her food. Thoughts?

Jin Wicked fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 13, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Oh hey guys, it's time to wash me again? So cute. :3: Done? Well, off you go, then. :)

:stonk: oh gods rats in my underwear noooo get ooout, oooot... :stare: please don't ever do that again

God, that was harrowing. To my balls, at least.

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

Pestilence is the new pink.

Jin Wicked posted:

Has anyone successfully isolated an extremely elderly rat?

I have a female going on 3 1/2 years, and free feed her a lot of high-calorie foods to keep her weight up. (She is amazingly healthy other than her weight.) Her cagemate is about 1 1/2 years, and has grown so fat she resembles a round ball of fur with a head and tail. She will literally steal the food out of the elderly rat's hands. She bullies her occasionally, too. The elderly rat is missing fur from surgeries that never grew back, and I've started noticing a few small scabs here and there. Nothing major, but the elderly rat is very fragile. I'm leaning towards isolating the elderly female and just keeping her with me a few hours in the evenings. She has always loved human attention, and never seemed too attached to a specific cagemate. Either that, or getting her a baby companion (maybe 6-8 weeks) that would be less likely to scuffle and aggressively eat all of her food. Thoughts?

I had to isolate my elderly boy from his two younger friends towards the end of his life, yeah. They were too rough with him, and he got disoriented by their energy too easily. While it wasn't ideal, he seemed okay with being alone, but he had also been living alone for a while earlier on before I got the two younger boys to keep him company, so maybe he was more used to it? It's doable, just give your old girl extra attention whenever you can, I think. Probably better that she has a quiet, safe time in her golden years than to have company that adversely affects her health.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Yep my last elderly rat had his own cage. I let his old cage mate come see him sometimes, and a lot of the time he snuggled on the couch since that's where he wanted to be anyway. He was happy as long as he had a warm snuggly place to sleep.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
One of my rats has gotten quite skittish. He keeps jumping at the slightest movement or sound. I can't find any kind of wound on him nor does he yelp when I feel around on his underside so I've ruled out an injury at the moment. Is it because he's in a new cage? He seems to be adjusting well besides that.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

One of my rats has gotten quite skittish. He keeps jumping at the slightest movement or sound. I can't find any kind of wound on him nor does he yelp when I feel around on his underside so I've ruled out an injury at the moment. Is it because he's in a new cage? He seems to be adjusting well besides that.

Probably the newcage. How long hsve they been in it?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Do you guys have any tips on how to keep my ratties cool during hot days? I live in the northern part of the world but last couple of days have been pure hell.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?

Jack Trades posted:

Do you guys have any tips on how to keep my ratties cool during hot days? I live in the northern part of the world but last couple of days have been pure hell.

Frozen vegetables in a bowl of water is a particular favourite of my girls - pea fishing is great to watch.

We also freeze a filled old water bottle and put it in the cage - they tend to roll it to where they want then.

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

The rats have hand-knitted hammocks, a giant igloo and a Silent Spinner in their Critter Nation... but all seven rats choose to be in a half-destroyed cake box.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Cardboard boxes are the best that's why. They can renovate them just how they want, and they get nice and smelly.

That is a mighty cute rat pile you have there.

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

Thanks! :3:

I like how the bigger rats are on the outside and the smaller ones are on the inside.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You always put the biggest pieces on the edges. Basic rule of Rat Tetris.

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER HAPPENED ON DISCORD, I WAS NOT INVOLVED
I must say washing my boys can sometimes be an unpleasant but necessary process for anyone involved but the results adorable.

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/8thXwDK.jpg][/timg]

The fact they smell less is also a bonus!.

DerVerrater fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jul 28, 2014

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Patchouli Patrol posted:

The rats have hand-knitted hammocks, a giant igloo and a Silent Spinner in their Critter Nation... but all seven rats choose to be in a half-destroyed cake box.

It's not half-destroyed. It's artistically deconstructed, rat-style.

That's one adorable rat pile you've got there. :3:

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER HAPPENED ON DISCORD, I WAS NOT INVOLVED

I couldnt help my self, i got more.

My appologies for poor image quality i think i need a new lense on my cam.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Apparently honey is loving scary. I just tried to offer one of my rats a little dab of honey on a spoon. He sniffed it a bit and then made a jump backwards like I had tapped him on the nose. Now he keeps doing it whenever I get close to him with the spoon.

:sigh: Rats.

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

Lost my Luna today. She was an enormous, slightly retarded second-hand feeder rat, but she was always so stupidly happy. She's the kind of rat you would find just sitting in a corner, boggling because she was converting oxygen into carbon dioxide. I found a massive (what I think was ovarian) tumor last week, but it didn't seem to be bothering her -- she just did her thing. We just found her in the igloo. We found her with a piece of food in her mouth, so we know she died doing what she loved best.

Farewell, squishy special-needs rat.

low poly rat
Oct 22, 2012
Hey rat thread, I'm a first time rat owner and being a dumb newb, I'm freaking myself out over stupid things.

I've been sitting with one of my new boys on my lap and he squeaks whenever I touch him - is he hurting, or just freaked out? I've read that rats aren't the most vocal animals, and I'm worried that he's hurt himself in someway.

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with him otherwise, but as I said, first time owner. He's currently trying to help me write this post (as it turns out, both rat paws and rat tails work on touch screens)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Unless he only vocalized when you touch him in one particular spot he's probably freaked out. My rats sometimes squeak in protest when I take them away from something they really want, like a particularly nice bit of food.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

Treated our rats to some mealworms for the first time. Older greedy rats wolf them down, no questions asked, but the younger fancy rats don't like having something wriggling on their dainty paws so end up throwing them down...so fancy

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
A squeak is rat way of saying "stop that", what ever the reason might be. If he was in pain or scared he'd at least try to run away from you but if he squeaks when you touch him without trying to get away from you then he probably just doesn't want to be touched.
My pudgy boy doesn't like it when I touch his fatty rolls but I just can't help myself. :3:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
One of my rats hates me picking him up. He grabs onto the cage and will squeak until I set him back down. I mostly ignore it because he wont leave the cage and I need to clean it. I'm hoping he'll grow out of it like his brother did.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Hehe, one of my boys used to squeak every time I picked him up or tiuched him, but he did grow out of it when he got used to me. I called him Mr. Squeaky.

Just ignore it and be gentle, aware that he's a little bit freaked out.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Squeaks don't always mean "stop that". I've had rats squeak loudly while pinning down another rat and winning a rat tussle. Some rats are just dramatic, but squeaking generally dies down as the rat ages.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

My rats are currently squeaking all the time, ever since I took them on vacation. One of them will sit in their little grass house and block the front entrance and the other will sit there and give indignant little squeaks. It always seems to take them a while to realize that the thing has two entrances and that they both fit in there. I really don't know why they're doing it, but they're at least not harming each other.

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

Invalid Octopus posted:

Squeaks don't always mean "stop that". I've had rats squeak loudly while pinning down another rat and winning a rat tussle. Some rats are just dramatic, but squeaking generally dies down as the rat ages.

Generally, but some rats are dramatic forever. Hannah is well over a year and a half old and we still hear her squealing when she's winning a tussle.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Drama queen rats are the best.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Invalid Octopus posted:

Squeaks don't always mean "stop that". I've had rats squeak loudly while pinning down another rat and winning a rat tussle.

Hmm, Interesting. I have two rat babies that play-fight with a lot of squeaking but I don't think I've ever heard the "winning" rat squeak.
Though I'm probably just deaf since it's not really easy to hear which crazy supersonic furball is making the noise.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Jack Trades posted:

Hmm, Interesting. I have two rat babies that play-fight with a lot of squeaking but I don't think I've ever heard the "winning" rat squeak.
Though I'm probably just deaf since it's not really easy to hear which crazy supersonic furball is making the noise.

I wouldn't say they're squeaking to communicate their win, but more just to be dramatic. Or, squeak because the other rat is fighting back, how dare they. Rats.

low poly rat
Oct 22, 2012
Back again, but everything seems to be going wrong.

The two boys I bought are about 12 weeks olds and were living together before I bought them ( they're from a pet shop though, so ymmv) They've been scuffling together on and off since they got home yesterday, but I noticed today that Moose has what is either a bite mark or a weird scratch on his side, which could only have come from the other rat. He's currently sitting in a tube shivering and making rapid chattering sounds, and I'm not sure what to do. It seems more violent than what I've been told to expect from boys fighting. Do they need reintroducing, or am I just paranoid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It might not be a bad idea to separate them for a while, especially if someone got hurt. Rats sometimes start behaving strangely when they're put into new territory and have to decide who owns what now. What I did was to separate mine for a month, rotating them between cages, having them mingle on neutral ground and finally shaking them around in a box for a while. Which is honestly a lot more effort than you need normally, but, you know, it worked for me.