Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I really wish they'd take a look at Darius and tweak (read: nerf) his kit. The fact that a loving tank can do 1k true damage to someone, let alone refresh it, is bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Thumbtacks posted:

I really wish they'd take a look at Darius and tweak (read: nerf) his kit. The fact that a loving tank can do 1k true damage to someone, let alone refresh it, is bullshit.

Darius is super duper nerfed though. It's mostly that his kit is made of Grade-A Bruiserium and thus insanely boring and focused on inflated numbers that makes him capable of doing that.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Lovechop posted:

twitch's dumb new muting thing hosed the vod up so sadly not :(
My favourite thing on Kaceytron was when she finished her placements and got Bronze 1, comedy gold watching that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srUTxocZkNY

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

If you let him walk up to you and repeatedly stack his passive you probably deserve what happens

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

You would've hated when he was good. At least now he doesn't get free kills on any melee top every time they come to lane after he hits six.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Libertine posted:

It's because the idea of using the pick and ban phase to plan your team strategy and to counter their top picks (and strategize against the expectations of what they are doing given what they show) goes out the window if their 1st and 2nd picks can be played in 2 or 3 roles. That's why Lulu, Kayle, Alistar, etc. have been such contested picks in competitive League of Legends. If a champion is able to regularly be very successful in multiple roles with completely different play-styles, it's generally a sign that champion is overall too strong. Alistar will probably get nerfs before the end of the season because of this. Lulu and Kayle have already gotten a bunch of nerfs because of this and they are still very strong flex picks.

I think part of the problem here is that the pick-ban phase is really really shittily set up. By lumping all the bans together and then all the picks together you just encourage drafters to go down a systemic progression of power hierarchy. Making a strong pick early gives the other team an opportunity to set up a counter to it -- and you have absolutely no recourse to it in the draft stage the way it's set up right now. Thus the best strategy is to find whatever champions strong enough to deserve being drafted early and flexible enough to not show your hand too early.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Pre nerf Darius was the first penta I remember ever getting and I didn't even do anything for it, fairly good champ.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Thumbtacks posted:

Don't play Thresh top vs. a real laning opponent. Problem solved.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
The league client is telling me to reconnect to a game that doesn't exist, as though I left a game in progress when in fact I did not. Is there a fix for this or should I go outside and play?

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Sharzak posted:

The league client is telling me to reconnect to a game that doesn't exist, as though I left a game in progress when in fact I did not. Is there a fix for this or should I go outside and play?

I tried to log in twice and couldn't over the last hour or so. I think something's probably up.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
The answer to all League-related questions is "go outside."

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Sharzak posted:

This is the solution for all League issues.

But yeah, it's some system hiccup while they perform live maintenance. Ranked is disabled and loss forgiven is turned on so you wouldn't get a leave even if it were a proper game.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

chumbler posted:

Didn't say they do. That went out the window when they put in those horrible changes to just top and mid outer towers (and eventually bottom after months of people calling them out on how dumb that poo poo was) explicitly to counter early pushes that had existed for what, 3 weeks before that?

This was still the stupidest thing to complain about that league players have ever complained about, FYI.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

My mmr has probably dropped to silver 3 since i hit gold V. Is there a warning system in place to tell me if i'm in danger of being relegated?

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

My mmr has probably dropped to silver 3 since i hit gold V. Is there a warning system in place to tell me if i'm in danger of being relegated?

It should have happened by now if you lost at 0lp. As long as you don't have 0lp, you're probably golden.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

I get a message when I log in regularly letting me know my elo is in decay but never got one when I dropped divisions

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

It's down a whole league though, from Gold to Silver. Don't you need silver V mmr for that to happen?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
This is the nerdiest thing that I've ever done in my life, and it could be the nerdiest thing you'll ever do in your life too!

If anyone in is in the NYC area/a bus ride away and wants to watch the quarterfinals of Dig v TSM at a bar and drink, I'm going to go watch it at a bar with some group called League of Libations.
The fb event is: https://www.facebook.com/events/310349662480388/ .

I'm 'pls no bm' in game, so if you've ever played with me and somehow don't hate me you should come. "PaschalRandolph" aka semicolonsrock will be there as well, so if you like him better that's a good reason to come.

It's this Saturday and you can fit it in before going out or heading back to cry in your apartment like I'll be doing.

Email me at foooutre@gmail.com if you're interested and I'll give you the details. I'm cross-posting this to the competitive thread as well.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
The thing I think I find most funny about bans is that (in low ELO in particular) in solo queue they really do not seem to be used strategically. Instead, they basically consist of each side getting rid of whatever irritates them the most or they consider most "OP" (usually one in the same).

Which is kind of funny. Because if something is so particularly OP, you'd think that you'd just learn to play it yourself and take that (or that someone else on your team would). I see that happen occasionally, but not nearly as often as you would think. I get that part of the issue is you cannot ban the other team's preferred champs, because you obviously have no idea what they are. Nonetheless, I do not think that is the entire reason for the difference.

Instead, bans in solo queue are basically used as a dampening device, to get rid of the six champions currently seen as having the most outsized effect on the game. Basically a tool to reduce dynamism in games.

(As stated, I'm not saying this is always the case, with more team coordination and higher ELO, I imagine it changes. But it is certainly the case in the games I see from Bronze through at least Gold.)

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 19, 2014

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I think bans are kind of like a cyclical vortex that continues on even after champions get nerfed. You don't want to learn how to play something that's always banned, but you know it's strong so you always ban it. This is how I feel about Yasuo, all the times I've tried to learn him I just figured it wasn't worth it because he's always friggin' banned and then you just ban him yourself whenever it comes up. Then you keep banning it even after it's nerfed because you still don't want anyone to play it or to play against it even though you haven't touched the champion yourself in months.

I've been banning Kassadin lately even though his win rate is total dog poo poo at the moment just because if he's open someone on my team picks him and just viciously feeds with him in the first ten minutes of the game.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Getting rid of champs you hate playing against is the best use of bans you can make in a video game.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Thumbtacks posted:

i agree.... hes way too powerful with his thousand damage true damage nuke

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

You need to be a full league below your current rank to drop, so i think you're safe

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

SlyFrog posted:

Instead, they basically consist of each side getting rid of whatever irritates them the most or they consider most "OP" (usually one in the same).

Is this not how bans are supposed to be used? I don't see a problem with banning out champions I struggle against or think are too strong.

Libertine posted:

yasuo bans

i ban yasuo because every time I don't somebody on my team is always "YASUO IS OPEN", picks him and then feeds out the rear end with him because lo and behold they have no loving clue how to actually use the windy samurai man.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Verviticus posted:

i agree.... hes way too powerful with his thousand damage true damage nuke

He's got to set that up, has no gap closers or mobility. He's pretty small scale in the range of problem champs.

Jerkface posted:

You need to be a full league below your current rank to drop, so i think you're safe

I'm being matched with silver 3 guys, so I'm still kinda worried.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

He's got to set that up, has no gap closers or mobility. He's pretty small scale in the range of problem champs.

Pretty sure verv was being sarcastic. You need to worry about being demoted when you get matched with bronze 1and silver 5guys

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

i was just being a jerk

how much LP are you gaining when you win?

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

around 15

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
I hate how for a win you gain less LP than you lose for a loss.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

itsjustdrew posted:

It depends on your MMR. If that's the case for you it means your MMR is lower than it should be for the division you're currently in.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

itsjustdrew posted:

You do realize this number is not static right?
e;fb

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

itsjustdrew posted:

I too hate things I put no effort into understanding.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS

Previous Jesus posted:

It depends on your MMR. If that's the case for you it means your MMR is lower than it should be for the division you're currently in.

That would make sense, sorry for being a dumb gently caress. I had a great run in my first 20 or so ranked games pushing me into silver, but now I've had about 6 afks in the last 15 games, plus I've been on a downer in form.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
Dear Riot, please remove the cc immunity from Black Shield. There is no reason for a champion to have that ability outside of an ult. It is really boring to play against a Morgana when you know that if she is half-way competent she is going to stop you from using crowd control on your target. Either change the ability completely (or if you think it is a defining characteristic) then at least nerf the Dark Binding hit box being 50% larger than the spell effect.

Actually, how about removing Black Shield and making it Mikael's new active instead of its current cleanse. Then every support can give a cc immunity shield rather than an on demand cleanse + heal which will encourage just slightly more foresight than "use on carry after they get caught out"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Dosvidanya posted:

It should have happened by now if you lost at 0lp. As long as you don't have 0lp, you're probably golden.

That's true if you aren't dropping a metal, to a certain degree. You don't always lose a rank every time you lose at 0 lp. You get a brief grace period of a few games where losing doesn't demote you. Entire divisions have a much higher tolerance for it, actually, so you basically need to have your elo or mmr or whatever it is now tank all the way down an entire division to lose something like Gold V. You can wallow in mid silver land for a while with a gold ranking so long as you don't dip too low. I forget exactly where the cut off point is but you have to tank really, really hard to do it.

Apparently there were people climbing to Gold V then trolling their way back down to a silver to bronze elo immediately after because gently caress it, you get the rewards, why not clown idiots trying to climb while throwing yourself back down where you could stomp people worse than you?

Even so, it takes a pretty massive losing streak to drop a whole division. Granted it happened to me this season but all told it isn't utterly impossible to climb back up, it can just sometimes take a few games.

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.

seizure later posted:

Dear Riot, please remove the cc immunity from Black Shield. There is no reason for a champion to have that ability outside of an ult. It is really boring to play against a Morgana when you know that if she is half-way competent she is going to stop you from using crowd control on your target. Either change the ability completely (or if you think it is a defining characteristic) then at least nerf the Dark Binding hit box being 50% larger than the spell effect.

Actually, how about removing Black Shield and making it Mikael's new active instead of its current cleanse. Then every support can give a cc immunity shield rather than an on demand cleanse + heal which will encourage just slightly more foresight than "use on carry after they get caught out"
I think the thing that pisses me off the most about black shield is that the cooldown is really loving dumb on it. The cooldown shouldn't go down by rank and it should still have a 15+second cooldown with 40% CDR. It's 15 seconds at rank 5 and with even a modicum of CDR it's basically always available because it has a 5 second duration. Using that spell in lane and even after should be a long window of opportunity.

Although, you can often just mindgame players and just fake like you're going on the carry and then dumpster morgana's squishy rear end when she shields the carry. That's always fun.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Is this not how bans are supposed to be used? I don't see a problem with banning out champions I struggle against or think are too strong.

i ban yasuo because every time I don't somebody on my team is always "YASUO IS OPEN", picks him and then feeds out the rear end with him because lo and behold they have no loving clue how to actually use the windy samurai man.

I'm not saying it is wrong. I'm just comparing it to a system where the team reflects on who each is going to pick, and then bans strategically so that, for example, you remove the hardest counters to your team, etc.

Instead, it's basically the guy doing the bans saying, "I loving hate these three guys, they're annoying/OP," and banning them.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I like banning Malzahar because he's incredibly easy to play and does a lot of damage. Also I have been spamming Ryze and he's probably my worst matchup.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

Little late to the party, but Darius is in no way shape or form a "tank".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.
I've said this before, but solo queue banning strategy is sort of pointless because you have an equal chance that you're banning your teammates out as you are your enemies. So here's what you can do by going to lolking:

1) ban by power - sort by winrate and ban the top 3 winrate champions.
2) ban what enemies are likely to want to play - sort by popularity.
3) ban what your teammates expect - sort by banrate.

There's a bit of wiggle room for error because ban rate sometimes lowers a champion's popularity, but in general people love loving playing vayne and lee sin despite their trash tier winrates. Just looking at the stats right now, Morg is probably the only champion who would overtake Tristana in popularity if she weren't banned so much. The other top-banned champions, yasuo and braum, probably wouldn't be picked as much as Leona.

Also I think it's hilarious that of the top 10 most effective/overpowered/winningest champions in solo queue, only Talon sees any level of significant bans. Also the list of top 10 winrate champions is totally different than it was like a few months ago, with the exception of the loving mummy who has literally been a top winrate champion as far back as I can remember. I think he even ate a few nerfs, but apparently having a kit of "I have a giant aoe root ultimate and I do damage just by standing next to you" is all you need for solo queue success.

Edit: I do like the idea of changing the banning system to prevent certain synergies if you can recognize them in the enemy team. Like if they pick Yasuo, you can ban some popular champions with displacement abilities. Whatever dota uses, I don't know I don't play dota.

mushi fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 19, 2014

• Locked thread