Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
This dude's voice does not fit his body

Edit : Just had a nipslip on Euro Sport broadcast and the commentary team is apologizing lol

Edit : The other guy is walking out to the Romanian dub of the Leonidas speech from 300 complete with the AAAAOOOHHHs

Yuriy fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Buakaw is a piece of poo poo

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/8/6/5975779/video-of-k-1s-buakaw-banchamek-abusing-a-puppy-surfaces

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The video is lighter than that description, but still cruel :(. I guess his mean streak runs everywhere.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
That's not cool but the fact that someone wrote that many words about it is much less cool

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Dangersim posted:

That's not cool but the fact that someone wrote that many words about it is much less cool

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
hey so if anybody remembers that story about Shemsi Beqiri having to pull out of a fight for Glory earlier this year because of being beaten in his gym by masked men with baseball bats, the story is a bit more complicated

the masked men were with his former trainer, they stormed his gym and held a class hostage, including holding his brother at gunpoint, to force Beqiri to fight his former trainer, and when Beqiri started to win everybody jumped on him, and weirdly enough there's a video of it thanks to Swiss news

http://bazonline.ch/basel/land/Das-erste-Video-des-KickboxKampfes/story/28956140 starts at 7:30, is more mma than kickboxing, and is generally really loving weird to watch

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

lolll how is it that kickboxers are so loving weird even compared to mma dudes, boxers and pro wrasslers

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
:stare:

I want to say that's the weirdest & most fearful thing I've seen in combat sports but I know that isn't true.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Yuriy posted:

lolll how is it that kickboxers are so loving weird even compared to mma dudes, boxers and pro wrasslers

the criminal / shithead element is generally more rampant, sure.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Triticum Guzzler posted:

hey so if anybody remembers that story about Shemsi Beqiri having to pull out of a fight for Glory earlier this year because of being beaten in his gym by masked men with baseball bats, the story is a bit more complicated

the masked men were with his former trainer, they stormed his gym and held a class hostage, including holding his brother at gunpoint, to force Beqiri to fight his former trainer, and when Beqiri started to win everybody jumped on him, and weirdly enough there's a video of it thanks to Swiss news

http://bazonline.ch/basel/land/Das-erste-Video-des-KickboxKampfes/story/28956140 starts at 7:30, is more mma than kickboxing, and is generally really loving weird to watch

How unbelievably bizarre.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Kickboxing is the best

quote:

European kickboxing champion Alexander Bolshakov, who holds a 22-0-1 record as a professional, appears to have been brought to justice after it was discovered that he ran a drug smuggling gang that attempted the transportation and sale of narcotics from Latin America.

According to Russian website MMABoxing.ru, the kickboxer and his entire gang were accused of attempting to smuggle and distribute 72 kg of narcotics from the Uruguayan capital city of Montevideo. Apart from 12 kg of cocaine, the Federal Drug Control Service found an additional 60 kg of narcotics including hashish.

It appears that Bolshakov is the leader of the gang, which was revealed when members of his crew were detained in the St Petersburg airport and that ultimately led to his arrest shortly thereafter.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

what the entire gently caress

gunblade
Sep 1, 2008

-Just lucky, I guess

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Wow, talk about gym drama! I'm no good at German, but apparently after the fight the TV crew has a security guy who knows Krav Maga comment on the fight. Can anyone able give a rough translation of what he says?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

gunblade posted:

Wow, talk about gym drama! I'm no good at German, but apparently after the fight the TV crew has a security guy who knows Krav Maga comment on the fight. Can anyone able give a rough translation of what he says?

Paging duzzy I guess

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Triticum Guzzler posted:

What is going on in Switzerland? First the lady in Parliament posting nude selfies and now this.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
first they see the titty and then they threaten to shoot your brother in the head

turntabler
Sep 10, 2011
Is glory just having a long break between events or are they having difficulties? Looking at the website they don't have anything scheduled.

I want to see Saki spin kick a dude in the head.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Glory 18 is probably going to be early October

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Glory 18 is probably going to be early October

Related:

GLORY is also pleased to announce that the broadcast deal with SPIKE TV has been extended to cover 2015. Dates for this year’s remaining events will be announced in the next few weeks.
http://www.gloryworldseries.com/en/news/view/620

Not quite the 20 year deal I was hoping for, but at least there's another year of kickboxing on free tv in the US.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Must be difficult scheduling an event when all the kickboxers are either wanted criminals or the victims of one

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

GLORY released their fight library for free on YouTube
http://www.gloryworldseries.com/en/news/view/629
http://www.youtube.com/user/gloryworldseries

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
In totally irrelevant news for the few kickboxing fans who know about basketball, Darko Milicic claims he's retiring from MMA to try to be a pro kickboxer. I wish Japan still had kickboxing orgs with money because somewhere out there there's a yakuza guy salivating over all the good freakshows he could put a seven foot tall basketball player in.

turntabler
Sep 10, 2011

That's awesome, thanks. Glory has had some awesome fights.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

attackmole posted:

In totally irrelevant news for the few kickboxing fans who know about basketball, Darko Milicic claims he's retiring from MMA to try to be a pro kickboxer. I wish Japan still had kickboxing orgs with money because somewhere out there there's a yakuza guy salivating over all the good freakshows he could put a seven foot tall basketball player in.

This is as weird as the compelled gym fight a while back.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I haven't watched kickboxing in a while, is Rico still good and cool?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
glory is no longer a big money proposition and the guys with big contracts are gone or going

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Maybe the guys from the US K-1 office that actually did a decent drawing show(and got fired for it) could get some venture capital and do another promotion.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

glory is no longer a big money proposition and the guys with big contracts are gone or going

It isn't? Is this something that has been going on gradually the past few months or did something suddenly happen in last few days?
I pretty much rely on this thread to keep me informed so I don't know. Until now, I'd have pegged Glory as "stable condition".

If the guys are leaving is there a place they are going to or has kickboxing reverted back to it's natural state of being a wasteland?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
i'm pretty sure glory will continue to run shows in america and probably europe but don't expect to see any of the guys getting paid hundreds of thousands like petrosyan, spong, saki, or any of the old timers they might still have around

this has been brewing for a while and they've been off tv for ages. i don't know if it necessarily points to the death of the company because there's still about 800 suits squeezing money out of it, and they just replaced an executive (while retaining the other as a consultant, thanks for the cash hedge fund guy)

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Yea I was wondering what happened to Glory. Every event was good, the tv numbers were good, and I think they were making good money off gates (including in the US?) Then I didn't here anything for ages. Really weird and a shame. So glory's demise in spite of all the promise can be chalked up to dumb contracts and kickboxing being run by inept criminals?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I don't if they're inept criminals, they probably embezzled a poo poo load of money.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
it's a bit early to talk about their demise as they're still planning and running shows and still got renewed by spike. petrosyan, saki, and spong may have gotten a few articles on mma websites but they do jack poo poo for an american tv audience. it's possible they'll scrape by on tv.

also the k-1 branded krush are running a tournament soon with some good fighters (including raj sarkeesjan who beat noiri) but are apparently refusing to speak to the chinese part of the company lol

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

glad to hear K-1 is dysfunctional as ever.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
oh and as for where people end up i expect to see petrosyan in europe and russia, saki and spong in mma, and the old guys bumming around in france and japan

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

superkombat has an event on saturday

quote:

-Winner of Semifinal 1 vs. Winner of Semifinal 2 - WGP Final
-Brian Douwes vs. Catalin Morosanu
-Redouan Cairo vs. . Ali Cenik
-Jegish Yegoian vs. Marcello Adriaansz
-Clyde Brunswijk vs. Yesser Kaderi
-Hamza Soesie vs. Cristian Spetcu
-Patrick Veenstra vs. Dexter Suisse - Semifinal #2
-Tarik Khbabez vs. Gurhan Degermenci - Semifinal #1

3 PM Eastern

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Hahahaha this owns. Those of you who watched the last Koshien tournament might remember that in the middle of a bunch of Japanese high schoolers beating each other up there was a blindingly white guy called Minoru Kimura. Not like a really pale Japanese guy, just a regular white guy.

He was jokingly referred to here as Minoru "Steve" Kimura, and now he's Literally being billed as Minoru "Phillip" Kimura. Also he looks like Rory MacDonald fulfilling his autistic potential:

turntabler
Sep 10, 2011

Triticum Guzzler posted:

saki and spong in mma

While I'm sure they still might have some cool fights this seems like a huge waste to me. Saki in particular is probably ny favourite fighter and he finally moved to an appropriate weight class.

turntabler
Sep 10, 2011

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Do you have any further reading on this? I did a quick google but couldn't find anything.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Triticum Guzzler posted:

He was jokingly referred to here as Minoru "Steve" Kimura, and now he's Literally being billed as Minoru "Phillip" Kimura.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

http://www.vipleague.se/boxing/252801/1/superkombat-world-grand-prix-live-stream-online.html

yo superkombat time